As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Certain threads not loading

Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
Various threads forum-wide are consistently sending me to the "something went wrong" error page while others load just fine. I can't divine any specific thing the busted ones have in common. For example, the SE++ PC gaming, TV and gunpla threads are broken, but Twitter and movie threads seem unaffected

Happening on mobile Chrome on an Android phone as well as desktop Chrome

Grey Ghost on

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    same, Safari on iOS mobile

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    aye, first noticed this with chat in d&d but confirming the others as well

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I couldn't get into the movie thread until #latest pushed me to the last page, which I can now access. However any other page in the thread produces the error

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Weirdly I think it might specifically be that it's unable to load any page but the last within the affected threads? Or that's how it's looked for the threads I've run into issues with, anyway.

Firefox on Windows, so this looks like it might be somewhat universal.

Okay yeah I can replicate this for old pages of other threads. What's interesting is I can open page 72 of the YouTube thread as well as 73 (the current last page) but no pages before 72

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    What is "cool" about this is that even though it says the page couldn't load, it updates the unread posts as though you had read the remainder of whatever page you were on.

There were 100+ new posts in the SE++ Twitter thread, and then only 78 after a refresh.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited December 2022
    D&D chat thread won’t load at all no matter the page

Edit: just throwing this out there, maybe someone has a link in their sig that’s breaking threads they post in?

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    knitdan wrote: »
    D&D chat thread won’t load at all no matter the page

Edit: just throwing this out there, maybe someone has a link in their sig that’s breaking threads they post in?

That wouldn't kill every page, just ones with their posts

I can't find any rhyme or reason so far. The LDB thread locks me out of the whole thing, last/current page included

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Pages with embedded tweets maybe?

• TuminTumin Registered User regular
    I assumed Id been banned from chat but no (I get the inaccessiblenerror)

Well

Maybe

But Incognito seems to make the issue go away

Clearing my browser cache didnt help. Might try cookies later, cant right now.

That's an interesting possibility, but I can read page 13 of the SE Twitter thread which has two (quoted) embeds on it

Checking this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/222405/ncaa-basketball-heavy-is-the-head-that-wears-the-crown/p1

I can read pages 1, 2, 4, and 6. Everything else to the current page (14) gets the error

Maybe the age of the embeds?

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Having the same issue with https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/225371/programming-page-overflow-to-new-thread/p99. However, in Firefox, it DOES load when opening in a private window (i.e., not logged in). That page has no embedded tweets.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
    Tumin wrote: »

Well

Maybe

Can you see the forums in incognito? Most of them are invisible to me when logged out

Also, I noticed a new "analytics" uh, thing, at the bottom of my profile page that is clearly not working as intended

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Marvel snap thread in Games is messed up too

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    If this is fucking Elon I swear to God...

are YOU on the beer list?
    TelMarine wrote: »
    Having the same issue with https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/225371/programming-page-overflow-to-new-thread/p99. However, in Firefox, it DOES load when opening in a private window (i.e., not logged in). That page has no embedded tweets.

Okay so while SE++ is actually blocked without being logged in, G&T and D&D are just invisible but still directly accessible.

And yes, I can replicate the problem only appearing when viewing the thread while logged in. Gonna guess it is an issue with whatever is breaking our profile pages and not Twitter embedding

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    Well shoot, that sounds like the usual boring culprit of "Vanilla added a new 'feature' that doesn't play nice with this forum".

Well shoot, that sounds like the usual boring culprit of "Vanilla added a new 'feature' that doesn't play nice with this forum".

I miss the days when we could @IcyLiquid and get a response from Vanilla

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Pokemon thread in G&T having the issue for me.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i can’t even die properly in the LDB thread in SE++

(spoilers)

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Huh , thought it was just me . Safari iOS .

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

Well

Maybe

Incognito doesn't solve the issue if navigated to specific pages within the thread

ObiFett wrote: »

Well

Maybe

Incognito doesn't solve the issue if navigated to specific pages within the thread

Can you link the pages?

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    TelMarine wrote: »

Well there goes my "Only affects threads made in the last ~month?" theory.

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    huh. MtG thread loads, JRPG thread loaded one page and then the latest page showed the error, Thursday thread doesn’t load, Jelqing FAQ thread loads properly for me (iOS, Safari)

weird error

edit: chat and Pokémon threads are also down for me, so it seems to be consistent??

Lucedes on
    edited December 2022
    akjak on
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »

Well

Maybe

Can you link the pages?

I'm wrong. Every page loads fine when using Incognito and NOT logged in.

When I log in during Incognito the trouble re-occurs.

• MillMill Registered User regular
    Also noticed issues with the agree and awesome actions. You'll get a really obnoxious error message, that is so big that you can't get the damn close out prompt on screen and it won't dismiss itself on it's own. So you're choices are either trying to finish up a page with a really obnoxious notification message that blocks almost half the screen or refresh to make it fuck off, but since this is vanilla, the forum will just move you to the next page of unread message or the next unread message.

akjak wrote: »
    Confirmed, but didn't test every page. I have never visited or posted in those threads.

But I did on this one:

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/246328/dwarf-fortress-with-acceptable-sd-graphics/p14

Tested every page (1-15), only page 14 works.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    g6sesb9xfypg.jpeg

profiles are also fucky

is this how we die

edited December 2022

Bonus data:

Timing:
    -That thread started acting up earlier today, where #latest from clicking a bookmark was instead taking me to the last post.

-I have the last post in that thread, and it was giving me fits making it. Believe it started refused to load shortly thereafter.

-The second to last post is a double post, and they have been seeing the same.

-Didn't notice the new profile layout until after it refused to load at all

Content:
    -That page (15) contains nothing fancier than a URL or an img tag (that I can see in Incognito), and the image embed was quoted from the only working page (14).

ArbitraryDescriptor on
    Ringo wrote: »

That's an interesting possibility, but I can read page 13 of the SE Twitter thread which has two (quoted) embeds on it

I can now no longer read page 14 of the SE Twitter thread, but I could earlier. Page 14 is still the last page at present

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited December 2022
    started a new chat thread in D&D which worked for about 30 posts and i can no longer read it, but it appears upon viewing it incognito others are still able to post in it

no twitter embeds but there is an image upload

eta: it appears no one is posting in it now so possibly the failure was not at the same time for everyone for whatever reason

Chanus on
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Yo someone make a thread, someone else post an image, then someone else quote that image.

Sleep wrote: »
    Yo someone make a thread, someone else post an image, then someone else quote that image.

See if I broke the "profiles borked" thread in this forum.

did i break my own thread by quoting skippy's image i wonder

Chanus wrote: »

did i break my own thread by quoting skippy's image i wonder

I don't know if that did it but it's definitely broken for me now. The profiles thread here is still working fine though.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I’m still having the issue,

safari iOS 16.2 (just updated as sometimes that fixes issues)

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    I have the issue on Chrome PC tho too.

edited December 2022
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/246392/phantom-notifications#latest

No embeds, bbcode, or replies, posted Dec 13 in this very forum

ArbitraryDescriptor on