As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

🖥️🎮 - Nadir, Scorchlands & You can Do!mino out today!

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    File this one under "dumb in a fun way", but I just had Hunter destroy a rift charge and go something like "I see Lilith has poor taste in minions". You're trash-talking a bomb.

Captain America has a line when he gets hit that’s like “I never forget a face”

But every enemy in this game is either wearing a full mask or is a demon. Made me laugh

Also Captain Marvels legendary is good because it costs only 2 heroism.

Man the THREAT room can either be a breeze or annoying as hell depending on rhe character, I’m looking at you blade. You basically need good counter and shield generation or it’s so frustrating. At least If you forget to use the combat cards that help out like have been

Prohass on
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    File this one under "dumb in a fun way", but I just had Hunter destroy a rift charge and go something like "I see Lilith has poor taste in minions". You're trash-talking a bomb.

But every enemy in this game is either wearing a full mask or is a demon. Made me laugh

Man the THREAT room can either be a breeze or annoying as hell depending on rhe character, I’m looking at you blade. You basically need good counter and shield generation or it’s so frustrating

this is like the random callout in Monster Hunter, "I hope you've got insurance!" which raises a just gigantic mess of questions about the Monster Hunter setting

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    So far the Hunter is the only one that has underwhelmed me with their legendary cards

Even Scarlet Witch, who most have panned, has her uses if you prep for it (a Lifesteal item, or Nico)

Really? I live for bladestorm. Tons of direct damage in a good sized aoe + forceful knockback means you can murder tons of dudes at once. And the upgraded version has card draw.

Watching tons of Beaglerush XCOM videos back in the day has trained me to inch AoE attacks in this game to find the maximum amount of damage, bladestorm adding in the knockback is a very satisfying wrinkle.

Also iron man has both the best and worst combat line

The one where he asks if Liliths hot and if anyones hit on her yet is definitely the worst

The best is the Seinfeld quote “the jerk store called, it’s running low on you guys!”

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    So far the Hunter is the only one that has underwhelmed me with their legendary cards

Even Scarlet Witch, who most have panned, has her uses if you prep for it (a Lifesteal item, or Nico)

Really? I live for bladestorm. Tons of direct damage in a good sized aoe + forceful knockback means you can murder tons of dudes at once. And the upgraded version has card draw.

Watching tons of Beaglerush XCOM videos back in the day has trained me to inch AoE attacks in this game to find the maximum amount of damage, bladestorm adding in the knockback is a very satisfying wrinkle.

Last night I managed to hit like 7 dudes at once between direct damage, knockback and explosions. Killed like 5 of them. It gave me joy.

steam_sig.png

That's fair. I guess I usually feel more constrained by card plays than heroism (or my brain causes me to perceive it that way).

steam_sig.png
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Oh I remembered what I wanted to post about Dwarf Fortress last night when the thread was broke-

I kept noticing a dead dwarf corpse lying around in the hall, but when I checked my tomb it still had an open empty grave in it, so I figured it was just taking too long. Eventually I got annoyed and inspected that tomb to discover it was not empty, it was occupied, but by the corpse of a ghost, so I couldn't see it.

Also I killed a giant and a minotaur in like the first year and it's ten years on and the blood just keeps turning up in weird places.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »

Man the THREAT room can either be a breeze or annoying as hell depending on rhe character, I’m looking at you blade. You basically need good counter and shield generation or it’s so frustrating

this is like the random callout in Monster Hunter, "I hope you've got insurance!" which raises a just gigantic mess of questions about the Monster Hunter setting

It dosent! Insurance is actually a thing in Monster Hunter, it's run by the cats/the guild. That's why when you faint you get rescued by the Cats - and your quest reward is deducted, because you're paying the cats to run out, grab your unconcious arse, and drag you back to camp before you get you know, eaten.

Also why you can only faint three times - nothing left to pay the cats with afterwards!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    catipalists

liEt3nH.png
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

The trick with Bladestorm is that it's *Forced* Knockback. So you can get a lot of damage out of it via ensuring things hit other things. Like a whole fucking ton - i'm regularly getting 4+ KOs.

Summon Charlie seems pretty weak though, just due to the way the action economy works out.

edited December 2022
    Yeah I really wanted summon Charlie to be good, cos it’s a demon dog! But it just doesn’t make sense with the way card plays work, you’re essentially just drawing a bunch of average cards. It needs to have like free plays for his cards or some other perk

Prohass on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    The only thing Charlie is good for is Howl+Bite, and using a summon card to get him +2 of his cards means you're unlikely to be able to really even capitalize on it

Magik's Reinforcement is also probably the single worst card in the game, similarly

Maddoc on
    The only thing Charlie is good for is Howl+Bite, and using a summon card to get him +2 of his cards means you're unlikely to be able to really even capitalize on it

Magik's Reinforcement is also probably the single worst card in the game, similarly

Maul is pretty nice if things work out that you can play it first for vuln, or hang on to it for a few turns spending redraws to just keep stacking damage. I did like 450 to a boss last night with that. Though that was also a fight where you just get Charlie, you don't have to summon her.

steam_sig.png
    Also iron man has both the best and worst combat line

The one where he asks if Liliths hot and if anyones hit on her yet is definitely the worst

The best is the Seinfeld quote “the jerk store called, it’s running low on you guys!”

Hunter has one something along the lines of "Blade told me to mention your mother. Evidently she's promiscuous?"

steam_sig.png
    Yeah, it's the perils of the very tightly balanced action economy. Some stuff is a bit TOO tight - for instance, i think Drain Soul could be made Free, and it'd probably be fine/a really boost to Ghost Rider as the heroism cost keeps it in check pretty well.

It's also the problem i have with a lot of hte attacks like Morning Star - I want something that's punching hard from the word go, not ramping up over time. Especially not ramping up over card plays givne how precious those are.

Still, Midnight Suns is very good overall - most of my quibbles are *quibbles*, they're fine nitty gritty game design stuff rahter than "wow, this just sucks".

Thoguh i dont really like the resource system at all, and would probably mod it out if i could (nor do i like the reroll for additonal mods on cards system, there's a lot of fucking wild power swings there)

I'm too lazy to swap out my decks for specific situation, so I never take out my pair of upgraded morningstars, but they nice mods on them so they do me well, and they really shine on story missions since the damage stacks persist between encounters there.

steam_sig.png
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

Carmack's departure message serves as a scathing indictment of a crippling inefficiency at Meta that he said he was "offended by" and which he compared to a GPU that can only muster a measly 5% utilization. "We have a ridiculous amount of people and resources, but we constantly self-sabotage and squander effort. There is no way to sugar coat this," he wrote. "I think out organization is operating at half the effectiveness that would make me happy."

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    You worked for Facebook, what did you expect?

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    a virtual space simply cannot thrive without being embraced by horny queer furries, simple as

edited December 2022
    a virtual space simply cannot thrive without being embraced by horny queer furries, simple as

We’ve known this simple fact since Furcadia, and yet society refuse to learn damnit

Prohass on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    IF YOU CAN'T FUCK PEPSIMAN,

liEt3nH.png
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    The voice cast for High on Life is definitely stacked. One of the enemies on the first planet turned out to be Joel Haver, of mild Youtube fame. I was listening to him ramble for a bit when I suddenly realized.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Hrngh. River City Girls 2...

After the bullshit ending of the first one, I am scared to love again

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Hrngh. River City Girls 2...

After the bullshit ending of the first one, I am scared to love again

At least they patched that ending, as I recall

Which is a weird thing to say but hey that ending sucked

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    The voice cast for High on Life is definitely stacked. One of the enemies on the first planet turned out to be Joel Haver, of mild Youtube fame. I was listening to him ramble for a bit when I suddenly realized.

Having just finished the game, if the comedy is something you jive with, this game is pretty good. If it isn't, hard avoid.

However there is one joke that is excellent, very funny, 10/10.
    all through the game the main bad guy taunts you by saying he has "the people you love the most". All the characters assume he means your parents.

He actually means Jack Black and Suasan Suranden, having deduced that these are the two people all humans love

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Okay, that's really good.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »

Having just finished the game, if the comedy is something you jive with, this game is pretty good. If it isn't, hard avoid.

all through the game the main bad guy taunts you by saying he has "the people you love the most". All the characters assume he means your parents.

He actually means Jack Black and Suasan Suranden, having deduced that these are the two people all humans love

Now that i read the spoiler, i want to play the game because it gets me better than i get myself.

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    I've been playing through the AC games, because my experience with the franchise started with Odyssey.

so far I've played 1 (I wouldn't bother replaying it, and having played it I wouldn't really suggest a new player play it, it's mid), 2, and Brotherhood.

Coming up are Revelations, 3 Remastered, Black Flag, Liberation, Syndicate, then Odyssey and Valhalla again.

This list is mainly because those are the games I already own, so my question is do people think that Rogue and Unity worth buying to play for the first time?

(I also know about Origins, but I've played it before and I'm flip flopping on whether I want to replay it, I thought it was the weakest gameplay of the last three)

Psykoma on
    i really liked AssCreed 1 and i feel alone in that.

I played AssCreed 1 when AssRev came out, too.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2022
    between justin roiland being anti-union / against labor rights and high on life using ai generated art i feel safe saying fuck that game

Garlic Bread on
    between justin roiland being anti-union / against labor rights and high on life using ai generated art i feel safe saying fuck that game

i did not know about either those things.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention. i almost made a mistake.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed AC Rogue! I did not enjoy Unity

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I really enjoyed AC Unity. I did not enjoy Rogue.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »

I mean, it's kinda funny but I don't love either of them so

JtgVX0H.png
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

zach hadel is in there too

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    But I also still rank AC1 as at the very least middle-of-the-pack when it comes to AC games, certainly not bottom of the pack.

I feel like if you played Black Flag and you really want another full game of that gameplay loop, Rogue is fine. It very much expects you to come in straight from Black Flag. But even then, I'd say go for Freedom Cry before Rogue.

Unity was a buggy mess at release and that's lessened enough that I feel like the feel of the combat, free-running and just, you know, Paris in that specific timeframe makes it worth picking up, even if Blandy McBlandface isn't perhaps the most charismatic main character the AC series has ever seen.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Yeah with all the bugs resolved Unity is a good experience overall. Only tip I'd give is that you should definitely filter out 90% of the optional side stuff from the map, because that shit is dense.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Unity looks absolutely beautiful, even if it sort of meanders a bit into a few cul de sacs. Rogue has one of the best AC stories imo and is an excellent companion to the AC3 games

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Counter argument, Unity is the worst experience I have ever had with an AC game. The statement that they "fixed" the bugs is inaccurate, I still had the crowd and civilians doing wild, disruptive things. I despise the changes they made to fighting and stealth (the climbing changes aren't all bad, but the inaccuracy is out of control). Arno is a terrible protagonist, but the flow of the plot is worse. Paris does LOOK impressive at least, but the way they dole out the history ruins the idea of living in the Revolutionary period. Basically all the historical events that matter are in side missions that are almost universally presented out of order and out of context. Example: the King getting executed is a big deal in the main story, but things getting to that point (his trial and so forth) is not handled well or covered well in the story at all. Having the example of AC3 right there makes the flow of the historical events come off really, REALLY poorly. If you're a long term fan, the way they handled the modern plot is a shambles and the inciting incident (the reason you are playing these memories at all) is handled SO poorly, I truly wonder if it was meant to be a joke. The co-op seems interesting in theory, but literally would not work in practice. It rejected game invites from friends and the matchmaking does not produce matches. I have a screenshot of waiting 30+ minutes in matchmaking for nothing.

Unity is a game completely devoured by the incompetent, unethical, monstrous managers running the place at the time, and you feel this horrible development environment constantly while playing. No amount of patches rescued it from being just the WORST. I truly hate this game, and I'm someone who played EVERY entry before it, including the PSP and Vita games!

This discussion has been closed.