As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The most wonderful time for a [BEER]

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    I'm feeling pretty done with the calendar too, but I'm doing the thing anyway
    Beer Advent Calendar 2022, Day 16:
    Tradition Festbier from Herrnbräu, 5.5% ABV

I had thought Festbier was an Okctoberfest Märzen, but maybe it's not? I'm not quite sure. Anyway, this was quite good! I've learned that the Germans like their beers lighter than I generally do, and if I had a criticism, it would be that this could use a little more body. That said, pretty good, in that lighter end of the Märzen spectrum. Little roast, little malt, nice aroma. I'd like to see the volume turned up just a scooch, but yeah, pretty tasty.

7/10

EDIT: Oh, and that puts us 2/3 through the calendar!

chromdom on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    No matter how much anticipation I have for the Hoptometrist every year I’m always surprised by how good it is.

@Jedoc you deserve a hug

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Today I discovered Cold Brew Guinness. It's as nice as that sounds, if you think it sounds nice, which it is.

I posted this in the food thread already because I didn't see the beer thread and I'm tipsy

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Today I discovered Cold Brew Guinness. It's as nice as that sounds, if you think it sounds nice, which it is.

I posted this in the food thread already because I didn't see the beer thread and I'm tipsy

TAKE OFF YOUR PANTS

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    And jacket?

• Options
    It’s Christmas Eve and I’ve only wrapped 2 fucking presents..

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular

Oh look what's happened...
    t0vxku9yplwm.jpg

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Hey ma, I'm an influencer!

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Dang. Now I want a Guinness.

Edit: I have Guinness. Store even had the cold brew. This is your fault thread.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Real story: My first Guinness was at a dirt floor bar in New Orleans and I couldn't drink it.

Like many, my tastes have improved.

• Options
    Beer Advent Calendar 2022, Day 17:
    Marie Hausbrendel Hell from Schwarzbrau, 4.8% ABV

A Helles that I like! I don't like it a bunch, but I like it. It smells sweet, like honey It's crisp and clean like you might expect, but without the cloying that comes with honey so often. Again, I wish everything were turned up a few degrees, and at 4.8%, you'd think you could drink this all day. I think for me, I'd acclimate to the taste so quickly, I'd find it another flavorless Helles pretty quickly. But for now, for the one 500mL can, I can enjoy it.

6/10.

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Now drinking

zy7g18grtwfc.jpeg

Fuck me I love breakfast stouts.

• Options
    am6b4mjl758w.jpeg
    George romero everyone

• Options
    Another year wishing I was in San Diego for Victory at Sea Day
    https://ballastpoint.com/landing_pages/vas-day-2022/

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    Beer Advent Calendar 2022, Day 18:
    Wiener Lager (no joking around!) from Privatbrauerie H. Egerer, 5.1% ABV

Wiener (n joking around!) means Vienna, as we all no, so I guess this is a Viennese lager and not a beer to cook your hot dogs in. Or a beer to soak your -- no, there's no joking around! It's got some floral herbal aroma and no crotch funk. It's very mild and a touch of sweetness (maybe a candy sweetness?), and surprisingly, none of that beerurine taste I've described previously. If there was one beer that was going to have it -- no, no jokes! Like almost all of these, lighter than I'd prefer, but not something I'd turn my nose up at.

7/10 but benefits by being not the first beer I've had today.

• Options
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Now drinking

zy7g18grtwfc.jpeg

Fuck me I love breakfast stouts.

Their collection of Breakfast Stouts is the only thing I regret about boycotting buying Founders.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Wait, what did Founders do? Did the owner try to union bust or something?

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Racial discrimination lawsuit

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Racial discrimination lawsuit

Fuck I loved founders. Thanks for letting me know.

• Options
    I don’t judge anyone who continues to buy their beer. It’s just an active choice I made to boycott.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    This beer is called HELL.

I have seen Hell and it has seen me.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Heaven beside you, Hell within?

• Options
    Ketar wrote: »

Heaven beside you, Hell within?

Hell without - other people are everywhere.

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Peen wrote: »
    I try to pour into a glass unless I'm out grilling or other activity.

Just have sets of 15 and 10 oz heavy pint glasses from IKEA with a couple of random specialty glasses mixed in. IKEAs are fine, I personally don't want to mess around with 50 different tulip and IPA and lager glassware.

Don't get me wrong, under no circumstances am I putting the correct beer in the correct glass, but I like having them. They're a nice souvenir for when you visit a brewery you like or want to remember a trip you went on.

Whats your favorite? I'll go first

ro648l5sg6bp.jpeg

I just love that logo. Look at the tasteful thickness of it.
    pwgpaxxgc1yr.jpeg

Jokerman on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I kinda want to get a bottle of this just to say I've tried it
    o7eb352zjoby.png

They still haven't said when they're going to release it or for how much though.

It'll probably be too spicy for me both in price and scovilles lmao

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Oh jeez

They just said 20 dollars for a 4oz bottle

Also though they are only releasing 140 bottles this Wednesday... I gotta find 20 extra bucks because I'm a rube apparently

• Options
    One of the Victory at Sea limited releases was "High West Barrel-Aged Victory at Sea with Carolina Reaper, Trinidad Scorpion, and Ghost Peppers."

So is "spicy af" the new hotness (pun intended unfortunately) in crazy this year?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    Beer Advent Calendar 2022, Day 19:
    Der Schwarze Bock from Kraftbierwerkstatt (?), 6.2% ABV

The Black Bock, I think. Biscuity, like a cookie. I wouldn't go so far as to call it chewy, but definitely has some texture to it. Mouthfeel, if you will. Sweet and tasty. I don't pick up any chocolate, but I think it would be better if it had that note. Very tasty! Really enjoying this one, call it an 8/10.

• Options
    One of the Victory at Sea limited releases was "High West Barrel-Aged Victory at Sea with Carolina Reaper, Trinidad Scorpion, and Ghost Peppers."

So is "spicy af" the new hotness (pun intended unfortunately) in crazy this year?

Shit I’d like to try that. Every spicy beer I’ve had I either love or hate.

There are no mediocre spicy beers

• Options
    I'm sure I have, but I can't recall trying any spicy beers

I want to, I think it'd be good, at least in theory. I wonder if my brother wants to make a run for something with me when I visit later this week...

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular

Ballast Point has always had some regular spicy versions, Thai chili Wahoo and sea salt & serrano Fathom spring to mind. Don't know if they backed off in all the sales and the collapse but it was a permanent part of their portfolio.

• Options
    Carpy wrote: »

Ballast Point has always had some regular spicy versions, Thai chili Wahoo and sea salt & serrano Fathom spring to mind. Don't know if they backed off in all the sales and the collapse but it was a permanent part of their portfolio.

The first spicy was a limited run of Habanero Sculpin at a food truck event many years ago at the Home Brew Mart location.

It was super cool and crisp, a then had a hell of an afterburn.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Peen wrote: »
    I try to pour into a glass unless I'm out grilling or other activity.

Just have sets of 15 and 10 oz heavy pint glasses from IKEA with a couple of random specialty glasses mixed in. IKEAs are fine, I personally don't want to mess around with 50 different tulip and IPA and lager glassware.

Don't get me wrong, under no circumstances am I putting the correct beer in the correct glass, but I like having them. They're a nice souvenir for when you visit a brewery you like or want to remember a trip you went on.

Whats your favorite? I'll go first

I just love that logo. Look at the tasteful thickness of it.

Other than an Oktoberfest mug I got just before the world went pear shaped, I don't have a lot of branded stuff.

I do have a pair of Glencairn Whisky Glasses from a distilary we stopped at on our trip to Dollywood which was an amazing trip. Cool building:
    jfd6riagese5.jpg

Also have a Glencairn water jug from a distillery we stop at every time daughter and I go camping with the Princesses in Michigan.
    kzroungbiqdm.png

xxnd5ie3y5wi.jpg

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I didn't see this last night but I'll definitely share pics when I get home, I've got some glasses I love.

I drank that Wiener lager last night and it was good and we had a good time trying to get my 9 and 12 year old to tell us what it was called (the 12 year old refused, the 9 year old pronounced it "weener la-jhair" bless her goofy little heart).

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    We did our department secret santa exchange today and part of my gift was a six pack of Space Dust and all I want to do is call it an early day and drink a couple of those beers, but I've got to struggle through to Thursday for a four day weekend.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    this is only beer adjacent, but I had some cider my friend made, it was delicious and apple-y but you could use it to clean paint off of warhammer models

I could not deal w/ more than one.

• Options
    Beer Advent Calendar 2022, Day 20:
    Erl Hell Helles Lager from Landbrauerei Ludwig Erl, 5% ABV

It's a Helles. It's a light beer. Have you had a light beer? Then you've had this. It does smell better than it tastes, in that it has a smell. I exaggerate, but not by a whole lot. This is actually one of the better Helles from this sampler case, but I still wouldn't make any kind of effort in trying to find something from the brewer.

4/10

• Options
    wdk3o6ofhuqd.jpg
    Left, most sentimental value. Small local brewery that was starting to grow and gain traction. Then they got broken into and lost a ton of brewing equipment. They never recovered and ended up shutting down. I grabbed that glass at their final weekend.

Right, favorite design.

Incidentally I got both in 2018 on trips to San Diego.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Dang, that reminds me, has anyone seen Xocoveza in the wild this year? It's probably my favorite seasonal beer, but I haven't had any luck.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Glasses you say, I've got those. First we've got the glasses that come from the Southwest Florida brewery passport. Second is my favorite brewery from my hometown and then a brewery down here and since everybody has pools they have the rubber cups you can't break poolside.

And the final glass is one I got on my Kentucky trip and all of the glasses there looked really cool.