As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hearthstone] Wizzing Toys for Everyone

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Perfectly fine with Toxfin moving to 6, poison was aggressively broken. Now I think they need to take a pass at divine shield though, it feels far too accessible in battlegrounds currently for how powerful it is and how much you have to limit yourself to try and answer it when you're the one that doesn't have it.

• The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Hmmm, own a Draka but have never played with it once. This could be the time to flip it for something a little more central?

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited December 2022
    i think 30 card frost dk is going to be really good with the renathal nerf

also i am here to tell you that quest dh is still op as hell, and doesn't particularly care about the ding to relic of dimensions or unleash fel

Beasteh on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    The Judge wrote: »
    Hmmm, own a Draka but have never played with it once. This could be the time to flip it for something a little more central?
    Dust her ass.

I think the Renathal nerf is also going to benefit aggro Druid. Not sure how many people will want to play it since it's an old, boring deck, but it seems like it could be a really strong one for climbing in the new meta.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Welp, thats not great for my Rena Quest Relic DH

edited December 2022
    Burn deck stocks are up

Wouldn't be surprised if face/shockspitter hunter rears its head again

e: got over the line this month with Frost DK, Quest DH got me to D3 and after the balance changes I played with the new toy

### Frost
    # Class: Death Knight
    # Format: Standard
    # Year of the Hydra
    #
    # 2x (0) Horn of Winter
    # 2x (1) Bone Breaker
    # 2x (1) Icy Touch
    # 1x (2) Astalor Bloodsworn
    # 1x (2) Bloodmage Thalnos
    # 2x (2) Deathchiller
    # 2x (2) Frost Strike
    # 2x (2) Harbinger of Winter
    # 2x (3) Chillfallen Baron
    # 2x (3) Glacial Advance
    # 2x (3) Howling Blast
    # 2x (3) Nerubian Vizier
    # 1x (3) Rimefang Sword
    # 1x (4) Lady Deathwhisper
    # 2x (4) School Teacher
    # 1x (4) Thassarian
    # 1x (6) Overseer Frigidara
    # 2x (7) Frostwyrm's Fury
    #
    AAECAc38BQaXoASJ9gTE9gTipAXLpQXMpQUMlrcE7eME9eME/uMEguQEk+QEueYEh/YEtIAFtYAFk4EFopkFAA==
    #
    # To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Beasteh on
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    So I'm trying to make sure I understand the monetization for this set. The way they've handled this seems a little... weird.

- There's proper March of the Lich King packs you can buy and win through the Tavern Pass
    - There's a free adventure that nets you a bunch of Death Knight Cards that can't be obtained in packs
    - There's also a paid bundle for packs from the new set and Standard broadly
    - There's also the "Golden Path of Arthas" packs that give you more Death Knight cards that can't be obtained in packs
    - There's the other random assortment of bundles.

So... do any Death Knight cards drop from March packs?

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    edited December 2022
    So I'm trying to make sure I understand the monetization for this set. The way they've handled this seems a little... weird.

- There's proper March of the Lich King packs you can buy and win through the Tavern Pass
    - There's a free adventure that nets you a bunch of Death Knight Cards that can't be obtained in packs
    - There's also a paid bundle for packs from the new set and Standard broadly
    - There's also the "Golden Path of Arthas" packs that give you more Death Knight cards that can't be obtained in packs
    - There's the other random assortment of bundles.

So... do any Death Knight cards drop from March packs?
    Yes, there are 10 Death Knight cards that drop from packs in the same way every class typically has 10 new cards from opening Expansion/Standard packs. I believe this is that set:

0awxkq6iupw6.png

Think of the other ways of getting DK cards as similar to the Demon Hunter Initiate/Core sets a few years back that were required to flesh out a reasonable baseline number of cards for the class (only now you have to pay $ or gold for some of them :neutral: ).

Edit: Looking at what's actually in the expansion set, I see it was mostly devoted to propping up the Blood control DK archetype.

forty on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    actually it's good that they put most of the DK cards in a miniset, because it means you don't get them in place of good cards

liEt3nH.png
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Are the miniset cards considered to be bad?

Death Knight is considered to be bad

Just top to bottom

liEt3nH.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Death Knight is the Chillwind Yeti of Hearthstone classes.

Wow. That's interesting, considering I remember when Demon Hunter came out and it rolled over practically everyone and everything.

I guess they went more conservative this time.

Something to keep in mind is that DK being the new baby means that Team 5 is going to keep nerfing and buffing things until DK becomes good. They want it to be prominent, at least for a while.

Oh yeah, of course. I’ll expect the next set to have some outrageously powerful DK cards.

Right now I’m just trying to figure out if I should buy in, and if so, which option.

The rotation in March/April should chip away at the other 10 classes just by default. Most of the strong decks today are still using some key cards from last year. And DK should only be gaining cards at the same time.

PSA: A 2 week winter veil event quest just started with 3 packs and a couple cosmetics as rewards. Should be pretty easy to complete. The quest chain alone will almost completely fill the XP bar and all the quests are just like play 2-3 games in various modes -- very low effort.

Death Knight is considered to be bad

Just top to bottom

frost is decent, i've been doing well with it and am seeing it a ton at legend

emnmnme wrote: »
    Beasteh wrote: »
    DK needs a metric ton of buffs to see play in the current format

What if they got rid of the rune restriction and let you build what you want?
    I think it would somewhat increase DK power level, but I doubt it would ever happen since they've devoted so much of the class to it. For example, probably almost every DK deck would play Frostwyrm's Fury without restrictions, because it's that good.

That feeling when you discount glacial advance, have two in hand, discover a third, and have deathwhisper duplicate all three for a 24 damage for 4 mana combo (plus you have thalnos so you just straight up do 30 and otk)

edited December 2022
    I wish 30 damage was enough to OTK my opponents. :(

Frost DK also sucks against a million Solid Alibis.

forty on
    Got Vexallus as my level 50 rewards track legendary. Womp womp.

The card back for this month warms the soul.

hf8zaihdqnoh.jpg

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    I’m not a fan of the food card backs.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    I’m not a fan of the food card backs.

How about whole card food?

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I've been using the Lemonade cardback for like 5 years now.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
    just faced a DK in arena who played FOUR malignant horrors

most of them extremely buffed from blood tap/bonemare

that cards basically an autowin, no idea why they buffed it to only need four corpses

that cards basically an autowin, no idea why they buffed it to only need four corpses

Stick a starfish in your deck.

emnmnme wrote: »

Stick a starfish in your deck.

arena

liEt3nH.png
    Of course every time I try to play Frost DK, the hard counters (Ramp Druids) come out of the fucking woodwork.

i no joke ran into 3 ramp druids and a control warrior earlier when i tried out frost

i've started running 2 frost 1 blood just so i have access to gnome munchers and patchwerk

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    I’m still running that astalor druid deck that’s pretty much just all card draw and armor gain (though I dropped the few processes for underkings). Only really fast aggro and bad draws can kill me, usually by turn 6-7 I’m at over 10 mana and have less than 10 cards in my deck.

• sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    ronzo wrote: »
    I’m still running that astalor druid deck that’s pretty much just all card draw and armor gain (though I dropped the few processes for underkings). Only really fast aggro and bad draws can kill me, usually by turn 6-7 I’m at over 10 mana and have less than 10 cards in my deck.

There are way too many degenerate OTK decks running around. Armor Druid is the worst offender, since it’s a consistent combo deck whose gameplay provides good early game defensive options.

Aggro should keep combo down (and control should keep aggro down) but the sheer speed and consistency of combo decks actually makes the aggro matchups pretty good.

Oh boy another arena loss to a DK that played blood tap into multiple malignant horrors

What fun

Like, I pressured an armor Druid hard from turn one, but since he had Goof on curve, he bursted me for 64 from hand, with mana to bait my objection, the turn before he died.

It’s not quite combo winter bad (flashback to MTG), but it’s negative fun.

Everyone is packing so much effective healing I don't know how Frost DK is supposed to burn down a fucking thing.

forty wrote: »
    Everyone is packing so much effective healing I don't know how Frost DK is supposed to burn down a fucking thing.

Yeah, I gave up on frost DK pretty fast. Got dad legend with thief rogue (I refuse to play the degenerate OTK decks) but have essentially given up on getting to legend until a balance changes.

edited January 2023
    Secret Mage is doing work in Wild. I feel like the only bad matchup is Big Priest.

Edit: there’s a Druid deck that seems really popular, using Dew Process and Naturalize to maybe try to mill me? I dunno. Man it’s fun to play against. I have no idea what their win condition is, because it turns out that giving a mana cheating burn and tempo deck a steady supply of cards is possibly not a sound game plan.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Win con is mill/Jade Idol. They draw 4 Idols per turn once they've decked out (natural, 2x Dew, Guff).

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
    Yilias wrote: »
    Win con is mill/Jade Idol. They draw 4 Idols per turn once they've decked out (natural, 2x Dew, Guff).

I’ll believe it when I see it!

In any case, super quick and easy Legend climb in Wild this month. I think that it was one big long win streak from rank 4 to Legend. It helps (?) that there are a lot of Even Shaman and Pirate Rogue bots that aren’t very smart. Flakmage and Bartender do a fine job cleaning bots off the board. For the rest, well, Secret Mage remains my favourite deck in the game for its flexibility and power. And it’s nice that it’s dirt cheap, with one Legendary and between two to four epics depending on the list.

2x (1) Kabal Lackey
    2x (2) Ancient Mysteries
    2x (2) Anonymous Informant
    2x (2) Arcane Flakmage
    2x (2) Arcanologist
    2x (2) Medivh's Valet
    2x (3) Counterspell
    2x (3) Explosive Runes
    1x (3) Ice Block
    2x (3) Objection!
    2x (3) Rigged Faire Game
    2x (4) Chatty Bartender
    2x (5) Cloud Prince
    2x (6) Contract Conjurer
    2x (6) Kabal Crystal Runner
    1x (6) Sayge, Seer of Darkmoon

Code: AAEBAePxBALAAZXhAw7XtgLrugKHvQK+pAPdqQP0qwOR4QPnnwTGoASj5AT+7AS87QT/kgXboQUA

• Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Do I have to have Sayge for Secret Mage? I have the dust to create him and I'm kind of at a point where I just want to make Legend for the first time in my nearly 10 years of playing Hearthstone (limited by time more than skill). But obviously he's for a super specific deck.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!