As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Stompybots? Stompybots. STOMPYBOTS! MW5 on Steam NOW!

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I hate conquest in QP

Faction and comp it’s good but that’s more due to coordination

• Options
    Hatchetman quirks

Text if you can't see the site:
    All variants (Except HCT-7R):
    +16 LT, CT, RT Armor
    +12 LA, RA, LL, RL Armor

HCT-3F:
    -10% Ballistic cooldown
    -10% Heat
    -30% UAC Jam duration

HCT-5S:
    +10% Range
    +30% Ballistic velocity
    -15% Ballistic cooldown
    -20% LBX Spread

HCT-6D:
    +20% Weapon velocity
    +10% Ballistic Range

HCT-5K:
    -10% Missile spread
    -10% Energy Cooldown
    -10% Heat
    +10% Range

HCT-7R:
    +8 LA, LT, CT, RT, RA Armor
    +6 LL, RL Armor
    +12 RA Structure
    STD/ER Medium laser HSL +1
    Medium pulse laser HSL +1
    -10% STD/ER Medium laser duration

HCT-TM 'TINMAN':
    +16 CT Structure
    +10 LL, RL Structure
    -10% Heat
    -10% Missile spread
    -10% Ballistic cooldown
    +20% Ballistic velocity

• Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Bullhead wrote: »
    Iolo wrote: »
    This has been an uncommonly rough campaign so far for getting kicked in the head...

TcyEQ2X.png

(First mission after getting Tactics to lvl 9 too. :grimace: RIP Medusa.)

In my Current BEX campaign I had an armless (and side torso-less) Catapult limp up (it was down a leg as well) to my full health mech and headbutt someone to death. It was as infuriating as it was impressive.

Just had an Orion do the same thing to my Highlander piloted by a 10/10/10/9 pilot. Sigh.

• Options
    MWO patch is live and so is the Hatchetman. Have not played yet (and don’t have a Hatchetman), but currently people sound optimistic about it, apparently has decent hitboxes (that head isn’t all CT)

• Options
    And....Hatchetman is bugged in a hilarious way.

https://www.twitch.tv/notchickenman919/clip/NiceEasyPlumberHoneyBadger-5wMEdCnD36SWUC7t

It's being looked into, but, uh, if you don't have a Hatchetman and want to be mean when you see them, bring Streaks.

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    This is my second match with 5 MLAS and 2MRM30.
    frcrkszqc33j.jpg

That is a LOT of 0 damage assists on my team. I'm assuming this is because laser pointing at the absolute edge of maximum range does no damage but still triggers an assist?

All I did was just, go around the Maginot Line and hit them in the side. Lan098 is my play partner; he was running a 4 snub 1 LPLAS build.

Anyways. Two mechs should not account for nearly 50% of damage participation on one team. Absolute insanity.

• Options
    Targeting an enemy mech will actually gets you an assist, so it's possible for somebody to be dc'ed and still rack up some MS thanks to assists because of auto targeting.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »

https://www.twitch.tv/notchickenman919/clip/NiceEasyPlumberHoneyBadger-5wMEdCnD36SWUC7t

It's being looked into, but, uh, if you don't have a Hatchetman and want to be mean when you see them, bring Streaks.

That glitch is at least, what, five years old at this point? Except streaks would target the CT on every mech, not just one type.

• Options
    No link, but people are reporting there’s an ingame message for an emergency downtime/patch, most likely to fix the Hatchetman’s missing bones

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

That glitch is at least, what, five years old at this point? Except streaks would target the CT on every mech, not just one type.

IIRC they (briefly) had an "all LRMs hit the head" bug too.

• Options
    Lol. It's what, 2012? All over again.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

IIRC they (briefly) had an "all LRMs hit the head" bug too.

If it's the same bug I'm thinking of, it wasn't that the LRMs were targeting the head but that they changed the LRM flight path to go way up and then drop down on a target. Then fuckups in the hitboxes caused basically all the damage to hit the head like it was an umbrella shielding the rest of the mech. I don't think AMS or ECM was in at that point either so hitting LRM spam was simply death.

There could also have been an LRM bug that simply target the head outright and I don't remember it, this is PGI after all.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    The lolrms flew in single file, to hide their numbers.

• Options
    MW5: picked up the Star League era Royal Highlander-732b on planet Numenor.

Fuckin, rad.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    I really like the 732b. Is it the best mech? No. It’s weapon density is too low. But is it fun? Hell yea

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    OK, so besides being unable to find an Annihilator or King Crab in BEX, where do I go for Clans? It's only 3045, so I guess a few years still until then invade, right? Do I have to wait until then? I'm pretty ignorant about the larger lore, I'm just a "stompybot goes brrrrrrrrpewpew" person, so I have no clue if I need to go to the top of the map, or the bottom...

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    monkeykins wrote: »
    OK, so besides being unable to find an Annihilator or King Crab in BEX, where do I go for Clans? It's only 3045, so I guess a few years still until then invade, right? Do I have to wait until then? I'm pretty ignorant about the larger lore, I'm just a "stompybot goes brrrrrrrrpewpew" person, so I have no clue if I need to go to the top of the map, or the bottom...

You're about five years too early. Clans come from Coreward, so if you're hanging out at the far edge of Free Rasalhague Republic space from Earth, you'll be at the front lines.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    MechMantis wrote: »
    monkeykins wrote: »

You're about five years too early. Clans come from Coreward, so if you're hanging out at the far edge of Free Rasalhague Republic space from Earth, you'll be at the front lines.

Ok. I had kind of thought that you could just, like, fly there, even before the invasion.

Anyone have any luck using a spotter/sniper combo, in BEX specifically?
    I'm thinking of two snipers with breaching shot & mulit-target, with Gauss, LRM20+Art, and ERPPC and a fast light/med with ECM and the pilot ability to keep evasion.
    I'm just sick of getting pummeled by the constant LRM+Bulwark spam the enemy seems to throw at me.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

Fuckin, rad.

The Royal Highlander is a great morale boost when you get a free one in Battletech as well.

I always try to rush to a Phoenix Hawk and Warhammer as fast as possible because Im a Macross fan, but I'm also partial to the King Crab.

• Options

Fuckin, rad.

The Royal Highlander is a great morale boost when you get a free one in Battletech as well.

I always try to rush to a Phoenix Hawk and Warhammer as fast as possible because Im a Macross fan, but I'm also partial to the King Crab.

It’s even better in battletech because it has proper double base sinking.

Base MW5 doesn’t have that (and that is kind of reasonable, doubles are so strong and internal doubles are absurd, there is a mod that adds them back and the game gets trivialized as soon as you get an internal double mech) so you only get the FF and the Gauss arm advantages.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    So if a Battletech pilot is often located in the core... Why do headshots cause instant KOs?

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    So if a Battletech pilot is often located in the core... Why do headshots cause instant KOs?

?
    They're not. The cockpit is located in the head of virtually every mech in Battletech. Only a rare handful have torso mounted cockpits.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Battletech is medieval space tech. So you've got mechs with an array of laser weaponry, but they don't even reach a kilometer and targeting is largely done by eyeball. So instead of a camera array outside with a fully-shielded cockpit inside, the pilots have to personally see what is around the mech and that means a cockpit with windows.

And the cockpit is usually in the equivalent of a head because, y'know, it looks cooler.

• Options
    Battletech is medieval space tech. So you've got mechs with an array of laser weaponry, but they don't even reach a kilometer and targeting is largely done by eyeball. So instead of a camera array outside with a fully-shielded cockpit inside, the pilots have to personally see what is around the mech and that means a cockpit with windows.

And the cockpit is usually in the equivalent of a head because, y'know, it looks cooler.

battletech laser range is dictated by the number of hexes it makes sense for them to go.

MLAS have a range of 4 in aerospace too. But in mech only, 4 tiles is 270 meters. And in aerospace it’s like 10 or 100km

So like cockpits work the same way. It doesn’t actually matter where in the mech they are you have the same probability to hit it snd everything else is just how they make the mechs look cool.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited December 2022

?
    They're not. The cockpit is located in the head of virtually every mech in Battletech. Only a rare handful have torso mounted cockpits.

I mean there's some with obvious WWII bomber viewports, but I thought some heads like on the Atlas were just for show and didn't need actual windows. For comparison a Scopedog whose lineart is VERY suspiciously similar to the Atlas has its pilot in the chest, the head is the optics.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Cockpits are actually almost always fully enclosed (within the "head"). With any "canopy" view being provided by fancy view screens. Older Mechs often could have actual canopies, but modern designs, even of the same older canopy having Mech, are typically fully enclosed more often than not. Many canopies seen on Mechs are just for show.

Depending on the Mech or the Mechwarrior's pocket book the cockpit itself can be very similar to a modern day long haul trucker's cabin. Complete with fold out cot, toilet, locker, food/water storage and of course a very good supply of oxygen if the need arises.

Thanks to the Neurohelmet the Mechwarrior doesn't exactly need an outside view, kinda sorta. All that is rather vaguely explained. Best explanation is that the Mechwarrior is feeling what is going on just as much as they are seeing with their own eyes. It is all very sci-fi and flexible I'd say. Like, the Mechwarrior can sometimes receive damage feedback as physical pain, some Mechwarriors turn off their view screen and only use feedback from the Neurohelmet, Mechwarriors in a new Mech will have headaches and possibly nausea until the computer gets used to their brainwaves. Lots of weird stuff and honestly a lot of it doesn't come up too often.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Post hoc lore justifications for what are game design and balance choices are always going to be wonky. Even the rulebook calls out that Battletech is a game, not a simulation and realism must make way for having fun, the excitement of short range in your face combat over boring beyond visual range engagements, and the practicalities of not needing a space the size of a basketball court to play on.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Post hoc lore justifications for what are game design and balance choices are always going to be wonky. Even the rulebook calls out that Battletech is a game, not a simulation and realism must make way for having fun, the excitement of short range in your face combat over boring beyond visual range engagements, and the practicalities of not needing a space the size of a basketball court to play on.

Even writers for the books tend to shy away from explicitly stating engagement ranges during combat scenes. I'm reasonably sure it is something of a rule or at least as good as.

Axen on
  • Options
    uu7u3oeeizjk.png

• Options

Don't get me started on the classifications of ACs....

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

battletech laser range is dictated by the number of hexes it makes sense for them to go.

MLAS have a range of 4 in aerospace too. But in mech only, 4 tiles is 270 meters. And in aerospace it’s like 10 or 100km

So like cockpits work the same way. It doesn’t actually matter where in the mech they are you have the same probability to hit it snd everything else is just how they make the mechs look cool.

It makes sense that lasers would have a longer effective range in a vacuum compared to atmosphere.

Also, another possibly post hic reasoning for the cockpits being in a separate head compartment is also that they frequently had some sort of separation or ejection mechanism

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Looks like Tex is giving us a Christmas present early (assuming your not part of one of those families that opens everything on Christmas Eve).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbA-8YYohC4

Premiers Saturday, Dec 24th.

• Options
    Since whether or not my MWO matches end in victory is entirely random I ended up making a text list of all my battle-ready mechs and plopped it into random.org because if I'm rolling dice every game I might as well go all the way.

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Another piece of Mech trivia.

So the Diagnostic Interpretation Computer is central to running basically everything in the Mech. It controls and does a lot. It takes care of a lot of "subconscious" movements. For example it will automatically lean or twist the Mech to avoid running in to trees or buildings or other obstacles. It actually takes something of a conscious choice on the part of the Mechwarrior to run in to stuff.

What's fun about the DI is that the more a Mechwarrior pilots that Mech the more the DI learns about the Mechwarrior. Not just the Mechwarrior's control preferences but also fighting style, personality and how a Mechwarrior would react to certain situations.

What's double fun is that in some very rare cases where a Mechwarrior has been piloting the same Mech for years the Mech will keep fighting on its own after the Mechwarrior has been killed. Not for very long mind you, but often long enough to get revenge for its pilot.

Bonus Trivia: If you have an inner ear infection you cannot pilot a Mech.

Axen on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Since whether or not my MWO matches end in victory is entirely random I ended up making a text list of all my battle-ready mechs and plopped it into random.org because if I'm rolling dice every game I might as well go all the way.
    Yeah, most matches seem to be "find enemy, engage enemy, two minutes in check the score and know with 90% certainty how the match will end, regardless of how well you were personally doing".

The only tier where team coordination seems to happen is T1 (at least if you join as a full group), but god I hate actually playing in it, because there's zero leeway for loose play- if I'm not playing an effective mech build, and playing them at their most efficient at all times, then I just die early and don't get to have fun. Oh, what's that, I want to mess around with different mechs, try different builds, maybe even *gasp* play suboptimally because it's fun? What if instead I stared at my smoking mech, wrecked instantly by coordinated strikes? That's just as fun.

• Options
    I have fun in MWO regardless of strategy or coordination or any of that stuff, it's just fun shooting pew pew lasers.

• Options
    At this point I usually just play FW. QP is such a random chance of “did I get the good players on my side or not” that I just don’t enjoy it anymore

• Options
    At this point I usually just play FW. QP is such a random chance of “did I get the good players on my side or not” that I just don’t enjoy it anymore

The community is such ass at team play that it just doesn't matter what queue or what mech I bring or really, anything.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Man, it is sad to read how bad MWO has come since I stopped piloting my mechs and trying to keep the Oosik Nights going.

I was going to drop in for one match next week to get the two freebie mechs. Sounds like it is a good thing all you have to do is get a 50 point match.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Man, it is sad to read how bad MWO has come since I stopped piloting my mechs and trying to keep the Oosik Nights going.

I was going to drop in for one match next week to get the two freebie mechs. Sounds like it is a good thing all you have to do is get a 50 point match.

I'm not in the know, but I play periodically. What has become so bad? I just figured I suck

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills