As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] List of game changes since I quit?

Spore CloudSpore Cloud Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
So I kicked the habit over a year ago, my last login is November 20, 2006. But over the last few months I've found myself thinking about WoW more and more and decided to play once again for better or worse. But there is something that is troubling me, a LOT has changed. So I was wondering if there is anyway I can get caught up on whats changed since the last time I played before I start up again. A website or something? I guess I could read the patch notes since then but most of it will be stuff I wont care about.

Spore+Cloud.png
Spore Cloud on

• Options
    redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Everything. My god, just the Burning Crusade changes would take a wall of text to get through. You're probably better off just diving back in and feeling your way around the new stuff. :V

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    WoWWiki might be helpful. There's basically an extended version of the patch notes there (link to 2.0.1). It depends what you like doing. If you have specific questions about the PvP/raiding situations, I'm sure people here could give you some answers. Here's the WoWWiki on arena, which is the new PvP "thing". A lot of the other changes have been more to do with balancing, adding new content along similar lines (ie. more raid dungeons, though they are now 10 and 25 mans instead of 20 and 40 mans), and stuff like that. The game isn't really so different from what it was a year ago.

exis on
  • Options
    Spore CloudSpore Cloud Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Everything. My god, just the Burning Crusade changes would take a wall of text to get through. You're probably better off just diving back in and feeling your way around the new stuff. :V

Yeah thats probably true, I think once I get back in I'm going to be in a perpetual state of WTF from all the changes. I mean there is just so much stuff that I think I know right now but once I start playing again I'll see that I was completely wrong.

Spore Cloud on
    Spore+Cloud.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    We get a post like this every week or so.

Although this should have been in the WoW chat thread, I had a good idea.

Edit the OP to include a beginning list of whats changed, and we can all contribute to it. That way, when people want to know whats changed, they can go to here to get a quick summary.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    We get a post like this every week or so.

Although this should have been in the WoW chat thread, I had a good idea.

Edit the OP to include a beginning list of whats changed, and we can all contribute to it. That way, when people want to know whats changed, they can go to here to get a quick summary.

There's really no point. The OP would just be every patch note ever. If that's what people want, they should just look at patch notes. If people want more specific information they can ask in the chat thread.

exis on
  • Options
    Soviet WaffleSoviet Waffle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    They deleted Warlocks and replaced them with Duke Nukem

Soviet Waffle on
    League of Legends: Studio
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The biggest change is that pretty much every spec of every class is viable now.

Yes, even Ret.

Aside from that it's basically the same as it always was, but the grind is more varied.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    TyberiusTyberius Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Whoa, whoa, whoa.... even Survival Hunters? I refuse to believe it.

Tyberius on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Tyberius wrote: »
    Whoa, whoa, whoa.... even Survival Hunters? I refuse to believe it.

One of our hunters is survival and frequently hits top 5 on the meters.

exis on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    exis wrote: »
    One of our hunters is survival and frequently hits top 1 on the meters.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    That seems a bit off

Soviet Waffle on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Well, raidbuffed he has the 1k+ agility to support it.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    You're in T4/T5 right? That might do it. Surv scales really well, especially transitioning from kara gear to that level. I dunno, I had 1k agi when I raided survival and couldn't keep up with the rogues, and a couple of top casters (Top 5 is possible at that point). As people geared up though I found that the position starts dropping fast.

Soviet Waffle on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah Survival hunters are practically a requirement for a serious raiding guild it seems, not -all- of the hunters to be survival but at least one.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Arthil wrote: »
    Yeah Survival hunters are practically a requirement for a serious raiding guild it seems, not -all- of the hunters to be survival but at least one.

It's in the same way that you want an enhancemant shaman or a SPriest, really important but technically not needed (Though it makes life easy).

It's actually a waste if you have two survival hunters, since their buff doesn't stuck, you're pretty much wasting a spec.

Soviet Waffle on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    This thread reminded me about an idea I've had kicking around in my head a while: a thread about how WoW was at release, so we could giggle about how silly some stuff was back then.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    That'd be kind of cool. (Remember when CC lasted full duration in PvP? Many a good time with that one)

Soviet Waffle on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    This thread reminded me about an idea I've had kicking around in my head a while: a thread about how WoW was at release, so we could giggle about how silly some stuff was back then.

That would be good, a lot of us ex WOW types seem to lurk here. I could tell sad tales of the patch where Warriors got the grand total of "Improved Thunderclap animation". Fuck I was angry. I couldn't even tell what the difference was.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    At wow release I had to spec deep resto to get innervate.

Junpei on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I, for one, will go with "lol blessings" as an original WoW fuckup.

They used to be 5 minutes, with no group cast. That's right, paladins were blessing 40 targets in a raid manually. Every 5 minutes.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    SanderJK wrote: »

They used to be 5 minutes, with no group cast. That's right, paladins were blessing 40 targets in a raid manually. Every 5 minutes.

when people said they were buff bots

they literally were

40 people *1.5 second gcd = 60 seconds of buffing

you would buff for a full goddamn minute, then do it again in four minutes

so glad I didn't raid as a paladin then

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Options
    TekkoTekko Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Little Jim wrote: »
    SanderJK wrote: »

when people said they were buff bots

they literally were

40 people *1.5 second gcd = 60 seconds of buffing

you would buff for a full goddamn minute, then do it again in four minutes

so glad I didn't raid as a paladin then

Oh god I remember doing MC back then with my pally. Each paladin would always do the same blessing just to try keep things somewhat easier. When people would have the nerve to bitch that a blessing was out... made me want to "pop enrage"

Or how stupid it would get when killing Rag with new people in the guild. Raid leader would say OK everyone buff up. Then spend the next 4 minutes explaining how the encounter worked. Didn't take long for that to change, and the paladins would buff then we would pull.

But really a ton has changed since you last played. I took a few months off and felt a bit overwhelmed when I played again. Maybe check out mmo-champion and read back a bit, or go back through and read all the patch notes from when you last played. If you haven't updated WoW since then you will have some time to kill while it patches.

Tekko on
    XBL:Tekko88 - PSN:Tekko88
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    you guys could have always tried turning blessing ezmode off... I think there was a whole faction that didn't have them... started with an H... =p

I still don't think there should be horde pallies or alliance shammies. sure, it might have been harder for blizzard to balance, but they should have sucked it up and tried, rather than making horde and alliance functionally identical.

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    the totem mechanic is arguably just as annoying!

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The player base would go insane at some of the fights

Soviet Waffle on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Shadowmelded Aimed Shot, anyone?

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    the high warlord grind was torture back then. to think, they went from a pvp reward system that was actually more taxing than raiding, and they did a complete 180 and turned it into a welfare epix system =p

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    the high warlord grind was torture back then. to think, they went from a pvp reward system that was actually more taxing than raiding, and they did a complete 180 and turned it into a welfare epix system =p

It's like every new arena season is a new stage of Blizzard profusely apologizing for what they did to PvPers before BC.

exis on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Shadowmelded Aimed Shot, anyone?

Oh, man. Back when I played on Akama like, two years ago, I had a night elf hunter. She never made it past 45, but I had so much fun in STV. I would stand in a bush or something, shadowmelded, on one side of the road, and have my pet wait on the other. And a trap in the middle. When someone ran along and sprung the trap, I would send my pet, wait about four seconds, then aimed shot them from shadowmeld. I play in windowed mode, so I'd just set up, read forums, and watch my tracking for targets.

Comedy gold. At one point I had a pretty good QQ thread on the realm forums about me.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget