As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[LOTR] Lord of The Rings: Online Free Trials!

• MandresMandres Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hurrah for book 12! I'm looking forward to getting on tonight and enjoying the atmosphere of excitement, even though I'm way too green to explore any of the content.

hey Moss, if you're looking for kin I highly suggest talking to Beoleofu. He got me into The Crafting Union, which has been great so far. Several random folks have actually commented to me what a friendly and semi-famous group they are, so I feel like royalty just walking around hehe. First on the server to kill one of the raid bosses I think ...

Anyway, I'm sure they'd love to have you; you're basically a celebrity now in my book thanks to Rock Band.
    My character's name is Manderes.

Mandres on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    stupid extended downtime

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • veritas1veritas1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I look forward to getting mullet on my elf when I log back in tonight! These books introduce a ton of new stuff, it's amazing.

In other news, we all hit level 20 and started messing around in the North-Downs. Really like the atmosphere of this area. I also have a res now, which is of course super awesome. What is the benefit of ressing over retreating to the stone circle? Other than the run back. Is there less of a durability hit or what?

veritas1 on
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yep. I wonder what the screwed up.

Anyway you can download the update via torrent from here.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So first extended downtime, then it connects, starts an insanely long update, then stops (and when I start up the launcher now all I get is "..." :| ), now I can't connect to the site, the forums or turbine.

Weird and frustrating.

wobblyheadedbob on
    edited February 2008
    connected to server list, but they're all down

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited February 2008
    oh boy its like christmas with these new cosmetic things

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited February 2008
    Ooooh. I got some very quick buff spells for christmas.

Also, a guildie helped my lv 19 alt with his quest in Angmar. So all in all I'm happy.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2008
    and the game doesn't crash anymore due to dx10 issues. glee

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited February 2008
    So my alt now has a burning desire to get the Shining Edhelharn Token recipe since he can make some decently useful stuff and level his skill at the same time with it. It's the only token recipe not on the AH.

bah

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2008
    I like token recipes because the ones I've found have sold for a buttload.

although this one time I found some recipe worth a gold piece. that was good times

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited February 2008
    So I found that recipe and as I speak my alt is making 60 shining edhelhorn tokens. If you need a few send Worric a tell and I'll hook you up. They are 15 minute +4 hope tokens by the way.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well after a long time I've finally bought this game, I have a Level 21 Champion on Landroval named Drosalin. Will try to get in contact with an officer... hopefully the original post is up-to-date.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • MorithainMorithain Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Arthil wrote: »
    Well after a long time I've finally bought this game, I have a Level 21 Champion on Landroval named Drosalin. Will try to get in contact with an officer... hopefully the original post is up-to-date.

No, it's not. My guess is the OP quit, I've checked all of the officers listed, none of them have logged on in 6 months.

Someone needs to start up a new and *updated* OP, we're at 101 pages anyway. I'd do it, but I'm I'm having enough trouble finding time to update the Aion thread at the moment, so one OP is enough for now ;)

Morithain on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • OleubOleub Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    My hunter Silmion is an officer in The Barrovian Society. I mainly play on weekends, but if I'm on I'll give invites to the kin.

Oleub on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah... I attempted to add a couple of the listed officers and they... well it said they didn't exist. I'll try and catch you online Oleub, really want to get into a Kinship to have some chatter :o.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'd be interested in getting in a guild with you guys as well if you end up making another. For some reason I shelled out for the lifetime membership, so I need an excuse to use it, and I figure it might as well be with some guys from a community I know.

By the way, anybody know where I have to go to transfer a character?

Skexis on
  • wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I too would love to join a PA guild. I'm still new to this whole MMO thing. I've been lurking in this thread for quite a while now.

Anyway, I'm lvl 11 guardian right now. Name Firland on Landroval (or whatever it's called).

wobblyheadedbob on
    edited February 2008
    Again, I don't know if the number of PAers in this game can really support a kinship. Unless someone is willing to put a big effort into rounding up all the PAers and also doing some kind of general recruitment drive, I would just join in another kinship.

If anyone wants invited to The Crafting Union, just send Beoleofu or Worric a tell. But be adviced that full PA level debauchery isn't allowed in kin chat.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm playing this game again.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited February 2008
    Ok, I just made a chat channel for us. Typing:

/joinchannel pennyarcade wang

should get you in. There are 4 user channels per person, so if this is your 1st typing

/1 Hello World

should work as far as using it goes. Make sure you add user channel 1 or whichever we are for you to your filter.

So if you guys will PM me with information about your various guilds and servers you play on. I'll try to find the time to make a new OP.

As an aside, my kin's rain on the Rift rocked the house last night. I don't know if it was our new, experienced, recruits or my brand new In Defense of Middle Earth buff.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So I'm downloading the trial version now, will it be possible for me (eurotrash) to join you lot on NA realms?

815165 on
    edited February 2008
    815165 wrote: »
    So I'm downloading the trial version now, will it be possible for me (eurotrash) to join you lot on NA realms?

We have at least 1 player from England in our guild. Don't know if he had to do anything out of the ordinary to get on our servers though.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2008
    I'll try to join that channel tonight. I'm on Landroval server... I assume this is the one everyone is on? I've been having some bad problems with my video card overheating, so hopefully I've got it fixed now and will be able to play for more than 1 minute.

edit: Seriously considering going to Vista now for the dx10 improvements. I know they're not huge, but they are still very nice! Especially the water edges and the shadows.

veritas1 on
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hmm, I may consider re-upping once a new OP is done with some info on how many people are playing etc. The main turn off for me was trying to find people to group / quest with. I'm pretty sure I was on Landroval, dont remember if I made it into the Kinship or not.

Edit: I think I had a 17 Minstrel and a 18 Captain, or the other way around, something like that.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • padrescoutpadrescout Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Id be interested in some LOTRO action, I just reactivated the other day, though I will have to make a toon on Landroval. My guys are on silverlode

padrescout on
  • KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    How is the endgame in LOTRO? I've been interested in this MMO for quite some time, but haven't really looked into it much. I'm downloading the trial right now. Does anyone know of someplace where I might find some screenshots of people who are 'totally epiced out olololol'?

Thinking about either a Hunter or Guardian for my trial character because seriously, the Dwarf Guardian at the character select screen looks amazing.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited February 2008
    No clue about the epiced out part, but I know they've added a crap-ton of end game content, not sure what the total amount is but probably at least enough to keep ya busy till they release some more.

I have a couple buddies, married couple, they play hunters, both of them, not a lot can get near them when they both open up, even 1 is a very strong toon. I play guardians mostly, they tend to be hard to kill, but their damage output just isn't that good so they're slower to solo with.

padrescout on
    edited February 2008
    Kajusta wrote: »
    How is the endgame in LOTRO? I've been interested in this MMO for quite some time, but haven't really looked into it much. I'm downloading the trial right now. Does anyone know of someplace where I might find some screenshots of people who are 'totally epiced out olololol'?

Thinking about either a Hunter or Guardian for my trial character because seriously, the Dwarf Guardian at the character select screen looks amazing.

There are endgame instances for both 12 and 24 man teams but I'd not say that LOTRO is really a raiding mmo at heart. As for screenshots, the armor remains realistic throughout so you don't get the who next tier means bigger shoulders and huger weapons thing that you get in WoW. Also the highest level or crafted armor is not much worse than gear you get from the raids.

If you like to tank at all, guardians are in demand for the raiding instances. To the point that sometimes our raid would occasionally have 4 minstrels but we'd have problems finding even one guardian.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2008
    Well damn. Guess I'm rolling Guardian for the trial then.

I was looking at some character screenshots on the LOTRO forums earlier, and found this guy's Dwarf Guardian:
    foot2.jpg
    foot.jpg

Would anyone happen to know what armor that is? It looks fantastic.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Just downloaded the trial to give it a shot, but how do I get my product key? I can't set up an account without it and can't find anywhere to send my email so I can get it.

Little help

Romero Zombie on
    steam_sig.png
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I didn't need a product key for my trial account to work; just needed to confirm my email after registering.

815165 on
    edited February 2008
    Aside from not being able to send tells, what does the free trial limit you to?

edit: You know what my biggest aversion to leveling is? Oh no my friends, not alts. Not even monster PVP. Lute playing bitches. Dwarfs with fucking lutes.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited February 2008
    I am now Brazos, the dwarf guardian on Landroval. So send me a tell, Im on most every evening central time. Very low level, like, im doing the stupid tutorial instance now.

padrescout on
    edited February 2008
    We wouldn't happen to have any people with any founder's referrals left, would we?
    I need one.
    gamefoxlol at gmail dot com

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited February 2008
    We wouldn't happen to have any people with any founder's referrals left, would we?
    I need one.

Sent an referral.

[edit] actually no. It says you were already invited. If you need an invite from me you need to try another email address I guess.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2008
    I'm starting work on a new OP salvaging what I think is still useful from the original. If someone would PM me info about guild contact info for the kinship they are in and an officer list from the Barrovian Society at the very least, that would help a lot. Otherwise I'll just list the Barrovian society as RIP.

If anyone has awesome screen shots it would be nice if you could PM some links to me, since we don't have any in the original OP anymore.

Finally try to join the Penny Arcade channel so we can stay in touch on Landroval at least.
    To join and use it try something like
    /joinchannel pennyarcade wang

/1 Hey guys: dicks dicks lol

[edit] If anyone could provide a good description of PvMP that would be nice since I've never done it.

Also, how is this for a comparison to WoW:

WHY PLAY THIS INSTEAD OF WOW?

Overall a "better", more mature player base.

More realistic looking graphics.

No huge raiding ladder to climb.

More interesting story lines.

You are a fan of Tokien's books or the LOTR movies.

WHY PLAY WOW INTEAD OF LOTRO?

Takes a more powerful computer.

Raiding is your main focus.

You like more stylized and "epic" looking graphics.

You want to play with Mr T.

Your friends play WoW.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2008
    I'm starting work on a new OP salvaging what I think is still useful from the original. If someone would PM me info about guild contact info for the kinship they are in and an officer list from the Barrovian Society at the very least, that would help a lot. Otherwise I'll just list the Barrovian society as RIP.

If anyone has awesome screen shots it would be nice if you could PM some links to me, since we don't have any in the original OP anymore.

Finally try to join the Penny Arcade channel so we can stay in touch on Landroval at least.

[edit] If anyone could provide a good description of PvMP that would be nice since I've never done it.

I uploaded all my screenshots from the game to here. They're not all good, but pick out some nice ones (if there are any). Pretty much our adventures from level 15 to level 26. Hopefully you can use some of them! There are definitely some great landscapes in there.

Here's my take on PvMP, but I've only made it to rank 1 on my Uruk Blackarrow. I'm not exactly the most qualified for this, but it's better than nothing.
    The Ettenmoors are the only place where you can play as a monster. There are 5 classes you can choose from, which are basically analogues of the player classes. It seems like each player can have one of each kind of monster.

Orc Reaver:
    Player equivalent: Champion
    Role: Melee fighter

Uruk Warleader:
    Player equivalent: Captain / Minstrel
    Role: Healer, buffer, melee fighter

Uruk Blackarrow:
    Player equivalent: Hunter
    Role: Ranged damage

Spider Weaver:
    Player equivalent: Loremaster
    Role: Ranged damage, debuffs, damage over time

Warg Stalker:
    Player equivalent: Burglar
    Role: Stealth, melee damage

You start out with a few skills and a basic look for your monster. Since you start at level 50, you don't gain experience for kills and quests, you gain Destiny Points (DP). You can also gain destiny points for certain things in regular play. DP can be spent on temporary buffs in regular play, but mostly should be used in monster-play because they are the currency you use for buying new skills and looks and so on.

You also gain infamy points for killing opposing players, which are how you go up in rank. Rank is necessary to unlock the higher level skills, so just doing the monster-quests in the Ettenmoors will only take you so far. The amount of infamy you get for a player kill is dependant on what rank the two of you are.

Monsters are generally weaker than players, so you'll want to join a raid if you're going to be killing players. Usually just asking in OOC will get you an invite. You get buffs for being in large groups. It's generally not possible to solo an opposing player, but I'm not certain.

The Ettenmoors has 5 strongholds that you must capture or defend from the opposing side. You'll have to explore the whole region to mark the strongholds on your map. They are guarded by high-level NPCs of the side that currently has possession of the places. Raiding one of the opposing sides strongholds is fairly risky because usually burglars and wargs will be scouting around and will alert their side, so expect a band of players coming up behind you just as you're pulling their Lieutenant / Warboss.

With book 12, a new PvMP dungeon was added to the Ettenmoors, to which only the side with 3 or more strongholds has access to. If you should lose control of your strongholds while within the dungeon, the other side can then send in a raid after you, so watch the hell out.

In my experience, it's pretty fun. There's a lot of back and forth between people defending strongholds, and attacking. The other side will try to trick you into sending your raid, then secretly sneak over to another stronghold. The quests are pretty mundane, but some of them are hilariously evil.

I'm sure there's more I can say, but this is already pretty long so I'll end it here. I'd recommend trying it out. Do some of the quests to get some DP and buy some skills, join a warband and kill some players, take control of a stronghold, hop into the dungeon if you can (there's supposedly soloable content in there).

Hope this helps!

edit: My kinship is The Flame Imperishable, and my two guys on the server are Anaborn and Janus.

veritas1 on
    edited February 2008
    veritas1 wrote: »

I uploaded all my screenshots from the game to here. They're not all good, but pick out some nice ones (if there are any). Pretty much our adventures from level 15 to level 26. Hopefully you can use some of them! There are definitely some great landscapes in there.

Here's my take on PvMP, but I've only made it to rank 1 on my Uruk Blackarrow. I'm not exactly the most qualified for this, but it's better than nothing.
    The Ettenmoors are the only place where you can play as a monster. There are 5 classes you can choose from, which are basically analogues of the player classes. It seems like each player can have one of each kind of monster.

Orc Reaver:
    Player equivalent: Champion
    Role: Melee fighter

Uruk Warleader:
    Player equivalent: Captain / Minstrel
    Role: Healer, buffer, melee fighter

Uruk Blackarrow:
    Player equivalent: Hunter
    Role: Ranged damage

Spider Weaver:
    Player equivalent: Loremaster
    Role: Ranged damage, debuffs, damage over time

Warg Stalker:
    Player equivalent: Burglar
    Role: Stealth, melee damage

You start out with a few skills and a basic look for your monster. Since you start at level 50, you don't gain experience for kills and quests, you gain Destiny Points (DP). You can also gain destiny points for certain things in regular play. DP can be spent on temporary buffs in regular play, but mostly should be used in monster-play because they are the currency you use for buying new skills and looks and so on.

You also gain infamy points for killing opposing players, which are how you go up in rank. Rank is necessary to unlock the higher level skills, so just doing the monster-quests in the Ettenmoors will only take you so far. The amount of infamy you get for a player kill is dependant on what rank the two of you are.

Monsters are generally weaker than players, so you'll want to join a raid if you're going to be killing players. Usually just asking in OOC will get you an invite. You get buffs for being in large groups. It's generally not possible to solo an opposing player, but I'm not certain.

The Ettenmoors has 5 strongholds that you must capture or defend from the opposing side. You'll have to explore the whole region to mark the strongholds on your map. They are guarded by high-level NPCs of the side that currently has possession of the places. Raiding one of the opposing sides strongholds is fairly risky because usually burglars and wargs will be scouting around and will alert their side, so expect a band of players coming up behind you just as you're pulling their Lieutenant / Warboss.

With book 12, a new PvMP dungeon was added to the Ettenmoors, to which only the side with 3 or more strongholds has access to. If you should lose control of your strongholds while within the dungeon, the other side can then send in a raid after you, so watch the hell out.

In my experience, it's pretty fun. There's a lot of back and forth between people defending strongholds, and attacking. The other side will try to trick you into sending your raid, then secretly sneak over to another stronghold. The quests are pretty mundane, but some of them are hilariously evil.

I'm sure there's more I can say, but this is already pretty long so I'll end it here. I'd recommend trying it out. Do some of the quests to get some DP and buy some skills, join a warband and kill some players, take control of a stronghold, hop into the dungeon if you can (there's supposedly soloable content in there).

Hope this helps!

edit: My kinship is The Flame Imperishable, and my two guys on the server are Anaborn and Janus.

Thanks for the PvMP stuff. As for kinships, if everyone could provide a blurb descriping your kinship, contact info and whether you are recruiting that would be great.

I really should have made some screenshots while fighting that Nazgul last night. I don't know what I was thinking.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2008
    I need one.

Sent an referral.

[edit] actually no. It says you were already invited. If you need an invite from me you need to try another email address I guess.

Yeah, sorry about that. I shot another email to you in a PM though.

This is a founder's we are talking about right? That $9.99 pricing looks tasty.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
This discussion has been closed.