As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's a [Doom/Quake]! id Software's Classic Legacy of Eternal Carnage

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Epic is shutting down and delinting all the old Unreal games (and uh Beatles Rock Band.)

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

John Romero 29th anniversary of Doom stream starting now. Looks like he's doing level design and testing stuff for Sigil II.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    5th times a charm?

I reinstalled Doom Eternal again and finally, finally the combat seems to be starting to click for me.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The combat is rough until you get the double dash and can properly scoot around the arena.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I never really clicked with Eternal's combat the way I did with 2016. They went a little too hard on wanting you to use specific weapons for specific enemies.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Also, and this is nitpicky, but I liked the original Doom armor better.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I strongly feel like Eternal's combat was a heavy overcorrection, pushed by a particular dev, away from the "wrong" way people were playing in the first game in order to force the "right" way to play, i.e. lots and lots of annoying weapon switching. I can get into a groove in DOOM '16 that just never happens in Eternal simply because there's always some fucking enemy type that forces an alt-fire or weapon I'd rather not use. But for DOOM '16, I can stick with 2-3 weapons and fly through a room in the middle of a shockwave of blood and gore because it doesn't have stupid shit like an enemy having a resistance to a particular type of hail of bullets coming its way. Case in point, the stone imps that are built to force you to use the auto-shotgun because, for some reason, your multiple other kinds of gun aren't the right kind of repeated shots to be effective.

The earlier game built fun weapons to let you obliterate things, the latter game built enemies to force you into using certain weapons. It's fun when it works, but it just doesn't work as often or as easily as the original.

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    TBF it's only with the DLC that the game really double downs on "oh, you didn't like that weapon mod? well, fuck you" enemies.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    cckerberos wrote: »
    TBF it's only with the DLC that the game really double downs on "oh, you didn't like that weapon mod? well, fuck you" enemies.

Fucking microwave beam...

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Yeah I absolutely think 2016s combat was superior, but at least this time I’m fighting the combat flow less than before.

Though I’ll probably come up to another spot that pisses me off and makes me stop soon.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    For me, Eternal’s biggest sin is the shitty writing. To think I was actually looking forward to the direction the story was going from 2016. It’s hard to believe the same people made both games.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    For me, Eternal’s biggest sin is the shitty writing. To think I was actually looking forward to the direction the story was going from 2016. It’s hard to believe the same people made both games.

Yeah. I always get the response "who plays Doom for the story?" when I mention this, but I thought the story in 2016 was much, much better than Eternal.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Doom Eternal is entirely id Software getting high on their own supply after managing to put out 2016 without fully understanding exactly why it resonated with people. They heard their story continually praised for how the Doom guy does not give two shits about it, so their response was not "more of doom guy shitting on the story" but instead "hey, let's put in MORE STORY" and while I dig that kind of thing, I'm an online crazy person.

And while I understand and don't necessarily disagree with the stance that people should really be using the full toolset available to them, instead of trying to make reasons for the other gun to be fun to use, they just fucked with the ammo counts in a really, REALLY unsatisfying ways. Also, like, the meathook is kind of an important tool so putting a tiny ass ammo count on that weapon really sucks.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Yeah the ammo counts are the biggest struggle I'm still having. I'll pull out a gun, start blasting, and suddenly I'm out of ammo in 3 seconds for some reason and I need to use something else.

And I was someone who did use every gun in 2016. But I like to have a bit of time with a gun before swapping to the next.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    I really like Eternals combat and think its put together astonishingly well, such that 2016 is instantly more boring in comparison.

To be completely clear, NSP'S description of why 2016 is better is uninteresting to me and this games constant need to think at high speed is a massive plus that leaves me constantly in the zone.

2016 does, however, have a much better story and general presentation of that story.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Where the disconnect happens for me is that punch-counterpunch design a) never felt completely smooth to me about dozens of hours of playing, b) has a very artificial feel because of enemy resistance and low ammo count, and c) is just fucking annoying when they force you to slow down in the middle of the fight to use shit like the microwave beam.

To me, it's the difference between DOOM '16 saying "here's a room full of enemies and backpack full of guns, figure it out how you want" and Eternal going "here are the enemies, here are the guns, but you have to play our specific way to figure it out. And every time you drop a stitch, you get punched in the dick."

I didn't find either style boring, but I definitely found Eternal to be tedious for several fights (with the worst offenders by far being in the DLC).

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Whatever problems existed with Doom 2016's combat are solved by removing the infinite ammo rune and mildly turning down the damage on the SSG (or keeping the damage similar but massively increasing the time between shots.) Maybe get rid of the lock-on triple-missile too if you're that concerned about damage output. The other weapons had the ability to just dump on people of you wanted but you'd rapidly run empty if you just went full spray & pray.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I played both games wrong combat wise- hang back and snipe at everything. Then collect power ups after everything was dead. It went less smoothly when that wasn't an option.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I am just amazed that they took forever to add to Doom's combat. The melee finishers were a pretty natural progression.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Monwyn wrote: »
    Whatever problems existed with Doom 2016's combat are solved by removing the infinite ammo rune and mildly turning down the damage on the SSG (or keeping the damage similar but massively increasing the time between shots.) Maybe get rid of the lock-on triple-missile too if you're that concerned about damage output. The other weapons had the ability to just dump on people of you wanted but you'd rapidly run empty if you just went full spray & pray.

Losing the infinite ammo rune wouldn't be a big deal if they kept most everything else as-is and had the more organic and faster-flowing glory kills of Eternal. Cycling the grenade types in conjunction with the glory kills also would've been less of a hassle because you wouldn't also have been required to do the endless and painfully-forced weapon-swapping, so the armor drain rune would've been less valuable as well because you could control your health and armor better.

Even without infinite ammo, Doom '16 at least bothered to let you carry enough ammo that you could do satisfying shit like, say, hose down a hallway with hundreds of rounds of quad turret fire and turn a dozen enemies into chunks of gore. Eternal gave you only enough ammo to maybe focus down one semi-major enemy before you had to start looking for a glory kill to stock up again.
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I am just amazed that they took forever to add to Doom's combat. The melee finishers were a pretty natural progression.

The whole system of quick glory kills to sustain yourself was truly excellent idea, mechanically and thematically. It was a small but important bit of tactical choice to add as it gave you a number of options to deal with an enemy depending on what you wanted out of it.

If I could change anything on that score, I would make their basic animation speed like three times as fast as the default one, with upgraded glory kill speed letting you basically explode through enemies without pausing.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    mmm i think eternal gives u quite a lot of flexibility once u kinda get over a hump eg i never used the precision bolt, lock on, etc

theres some very cool stuff about which weapons can quickswap seamlessly and u can be a big goober

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    I never felt like Eternal is restrictive. If anything to me it felt more free.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    I wouldn’t call it freeing to be forced to constantly swap weapons because Doomguy forgot how to carry a single magazine of each gun.

Edit - I just found out that modding is possible with Eternal (I thought it wouldn’t be due to the always online requirement) and there’s a mod that restores ammo counts to their 2016 levels.

I might give that a try.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    I did not find having to press quickswap hotkeys to be a constraint, considering that in the first game I was constantly pressing them anyway. I did not have to change my playstyle in any way. I flowed effortlessly into it. I understand that for those who did get hit with this hurdle this would appear as a constraint, but for me who automatically swapped weapons frequently anyway, all Eternal did was add.

Things it added that expanded my feeling of freedom included: more options to manipulate enemies, use different weapons outside of intended context in interesting ways, break the rules of engagement (the tutorialised way to kill an enemy is just one way), fling yourself around the level in a way the enemies basically cannot deal with, combine different weapon abilities in creative ways, and so on.

Eternal's gameplay is, unequivocally, in all ways, for me, Doom 2016 but better.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Please bear in mind us unwashed console heathens who didn't have quickswap hotkeys.
    I was mostly okay with Eternal playing through it, but something about it just started to drag for me as I went on, and I just stopped playing it at some point while it was telling me about the Icon of Sin (and how it gets more powerful the longer it's on Earth), and didn't even realise that I'd not played it since for about a month, when I thought 'Oh, yeah. That game.' and realised that I felt absolutely no drive to go back to it.

The only conscious annoyance I had up to that was the Marauders for being completely unlike any other enemy. Everything else in the game the rules seemed to be keep moving at all times, they seemed to be built so that if you weren't at the exact right range then you just couldn't fight them, and if you were then you had to repeatedly lure them into a state where you could hit them a couple of times (Yes I know people developed some way to unload an entire arsenal on them in one second, but please see my earlier statement about deprived console players for why I couldn't do that). And this was me playing on Easy because I just couldn't handle anything harder.

Hearing that the DLC boss was basically an Uber-Marauder made it the easiest purchase I never made.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    You know what nevermind I'll just leave.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Where the disconnect happens for me is that punch-counterpunch design a) never felt completely smooth to me about dozens of hours of playing, b) has a very artificial feel because of enemy resistance and low ammo count, and c) is just fucking annoying when they force you to slow down in the middle of the fight to use shit like the microwave beam.

To me, it's the difference between DOOM '16 saying "here's a room full of enemies and backpack full of guns, figure it out how you want" and Eternal going "here are the enemies, here are the guns, but you have to play our specific way to figure it out. And every time you drop a stitch, you get punched in the dick."

I didn't find either style boring, but I definitely found Eternal to be tedious for several fights (with the worst offenders by far being in the DLC).

I'd generally agree with this--with the caveat that I started playing Doom Eternal on console on "normal" (having completed Doom 2016 on console on "hard", which I did not find particularly challenging and only mildly tedious at times), belatedly realizing how little I was actually enjoying the game almost immediate from the start, stopping, then restarting Doom Eternal on PC, getting a bit further than halfway through the game, and once again belatedly realizing how little I was enjoying the game under KBAM, and then stopping again.

Namely, apparently with id's new Doom I'm a slow learner ("So, how many times are you going to realize you don't actually like this game?"), and that moving from gamepad to KBAM, while at least somewhat easier--though not monumentally so, in my case--the game was absolutely as tedious in each major, forced engagement, with that tedium only growing. Going into it with a puzzle mindset--that is, "This is a shooting puzzle, and if you don't find our solution, you'll just die over and over again"--might've helped.

It's not something I expect to revisit. Modding the game to be more like its predecessor--I'm not exactly sure what that would entail, but I suppose higher ammo counts, managing enemy volumes in each encounter, or maybe altering their tracking and response times--is interesting, but just in the sense that I am more inclined to replay 2016's Doom, but am vaguely curious about the story beats in Eternal (and don't just want to watch them on Youtube). The things I really like about Eternal are mostly technical or technical adjacent--the soundtrack's pretty bumpin' as the kids say, but id kind of fucked that up with their hardheaded antics, and Atomic Heart does that without screwing the composer or orchestrating a witch hunt against him, the graphical engine is a very clear step up from its predecessor and extremely impressive, but I actually prefer the more subdued art direction of 2016 over the extremely dramatic flare of Eternal, with its repeating ice fortresses as metal album covers, though probably just because I like the "cyber" levels of classic Doom more than the "demon" ones.

In the end of the day, getting punched in the dick for very little award--you get to go to another, slightly harder encounter, and get punched in the dick there--wasn't doing it for me, and despite giving Eternal more than its fair share of tries, I couldn't shake that mindset. Never mind the DLC, which apparently takes the dick punching from 10 to 11.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i like doom eternal u go fast and shoot fast and sometimes there is demon

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    i like doom eternal u go fast and shoot fast and sometimes there is demon

There's always a demon.

Sometimes there's ammunition. But usually not.

• Options
    amunition inside every demons heart u just need to unlock with gift

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    amunition inside every demons heart u just need to unlock with gift

Yes, but paradoxically, you need ammunition to unlock said gift. Until then, it's just taunting you.

Fuel-powered chainsaws were a mistake.

• Options
    isaac newton spent years trying to invent the perpetual chainsaw

but physics and alchemy just said no

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    isaac newton spent years trying to invent the perpetual chainsaw

Yes, the fabled "Demonpiercer", the eternal weapon if you will.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I played 2016 very similar to eternal. While you could ammo dump on an enemy it was less efficient generally then swapping to the correct weapon. So when they double downed in it in eternal it didn't really bother me. And I played both on PS4 on whatever the difficulty below the hardest was. I will say it did turn eternal into much more of a puzzle game since you were so heavily incentived to use the correct weapon on the correct enemy. While the weapon wheel was slower then using keybinds I found the slowdown was enough to keep me alive while I focused on which weapon to switch to. I don't remember feeling like it was getting me killed. I can see why, if you played 2016 differently then I did, the changes made in eternal would be frustrating, but for me it felt like a logical progression.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    If I was gonna change Eternal at all, I’d just have it start the game with every weapon and upgrade.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    I played 2016 very similar to eternal. While you could ammo dump on an enemy it was less efficient generally then swapping to the correct weapon. So when they double downed in it in eternal it didn't really bother me. And I played both on PS4 on whatever the difficulty below the hardest was. I will say it did turn eternal into much more of a puzzle game since you were so heavily incentived to use the correct weapon on the correct enemy. While the weapon wheel was slower then using keybinds I found the slowdown was enough to keep me alive while I focused on which weapon to switch to. I don't remember feeling like it was getting me killed. I can see why, if you played 2016 differently then I did, the changes made in eternal would be frustrating, but for me it felt like a logical progression.

There was no "correct weapon" in 2016, is the thing. It took roughly the same amount of ammo to kill something regardless of type, so outside of AoE situations where the rocket or railgun won, the weapons mostly distinguished themselves based on TTK and feel.

In Eternal, I can either empty an entire clip of assault rifle ammo into a Caco or I can spend (2? Don't remember the exact number) shotgun shells to bloop-tube a grenade into its mouth and kill it instantly. Given the ammo constraints if you're not using the shotgun you're just playing wrong and making stuff much harder on yourself, straight-up.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular

There was no "correct weapon" in 2016, is the thing. It took roughly the same amount of ammo to kill something regardless of type, so outside of AoE situations where the rocket or railgun won, the weapons mostly distinguished themselves based on TTK and feel.

In Eternal, I can either empty an entire clip of assault rifle ammo into a Caco or I can spend (2? Don't remember the exact number) shotgun shells to bloop-tube a grenade into its mouth and kill it instantly. Given the ammo constraints if you're not using the shotgun you're just playing wrong and making stuff much harder on yourself, straight-up.

Hmm well now you have me wondering if maybe I don't remember it as well as I thought. I played it in 18 so it was awhile ago. I do remember wanting to use specific guns on specific enemies but maybe that was more of a me thing. Doing some googling it looks like it was more of a me thing. So I guess I just lucked up! I do agree that the gameplay in eternal is very different and I understand why some people don't like it. It just works for me I guess.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Oh but the meathook is so fun I want to simply use it without cool-down with a shotgun, luckily there are other games that come close.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Like I said earlier, I did play 2016 somewhat like how Eternal wants me to play. I used every weapon, and I swapped weapons as the situation called for it.

Eternals problem for me is I barely have the ammo to take down one enemy before I need to swap or go chainsaw something which sucks all the fun out of it, you don't get the time to settle into a rhythm with a gun before the game says 'fuck you swap'.

Over the weekend I'll probably try modding to get that ammo mod working, so I'll see how larger ammo counts change the experience.

-Loki- on
  • Options

Hmm well now you have me wondering if maybe I don't remember it as well as I thought. I played it in 18 so it was awhile ago. I do remember wanting to use specific guns on specific enemies but maybe that was more of a me thing. Doing some googling it looks like it was more of a me thing. So I guess I just lucked up! I do agree that the gameplay in eternal is very different and I understand why some people don't like it. It just works for me I guess.

It is kind of odd, given the whole Doom Eternal experience, that Cacodemons are...actually much more threatening in early game 2016t than they are in early game Eternal, because of the extremely obvious weak spot in the sequel. At least to me, that seems rather counterintuitive given how Eternal worked. But the sequel "makes up" for it by flooding you with them very quickly, rather than them being occasional early-game enforcers escorted by Imps, etc.