As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fire Emblem] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

19495969798100»

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Three Houses definitely did a drastically better job of having a serious plot.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    What i really yearn for is an FE game where we aren't a noble again someday.

Gimme another Merc Ike lead!

You mean like noted mercenary Byleth? Who, unlike Ike, doesn't become a noble either? (Well, barring marriage endings, but)

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

You mean like noted mercenary Byleth? Who, unlike Ike, doesn't become a noble either? (Well, barring marriage endings, but)

Ya know, some how that one slipped my mind haha. But that further makes sense as to why Three Houses is at the top of my favs alongside the Ike games!

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

On the other hand, Byleth is the attempted reincarnation of a Goddess, and in 3 out of 4 endings they become the actual Pope. Which, I guess, technically isn't nobility, but is still a position that has some political power.

Shez is probably a better example, if we're counting Warriors.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Which we are, because Shez rules.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited January 2023

On the other hand, Byleth is the attempted reincarnation of a Goddess, and in 3 out of 4 endings they become the actual Pope. Which, I guess, technically isn't nobility, but is still a position that has some political power.

Shez is probably a better example, if we're counting Warriors.

Robin has similar complications there, but was my first thought before Byleth came to mind.

The main complication for me with Engage is that the start of this year is utterly packed with games. Also, I finally got Three Hopes (yay Christmas) and that's going to keep me occupied for a while. I absolutely fucking love the swordmaster animations in it too.

Polaritie on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Fuck that, give me a Advance Wars: Days of Ruin style Fire Emblem. The world starts out fucked and your group, led by a bright-eyed idealist, tries their best to survive and help the world heal.

Days of Ruin did grim dark right. Still had some bright, cheery characters, but also some others that accepted the world for what it was and made hard choices to survive. FE with permadeath (via cutscenes) rarely happens and isn't impactful enough when it does. I'm a big gamer now and would love to live in that type of world for one game before going back to the tea party anime waifu stuff.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Eh. I can take or leave the grimdark stuff myself.

It can be fun every now and then but it rarely ages well and usually just comes off kind of edgy in retrospect.

That said as mentioned usually the way to avoid that is to not make the setting completely hopeless.

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    The art style for engage reminds me of those terrible original shows from Crunchyroll for some reason. Will still pick it up eventually.

My one real wish is for better balance between the classes . Flyer spam is annoying , more varied maps would be nice as well as more varied enemy types . I forget the other routes but it feels like 90% of enemies are warmasters /thief or assassin/ knights and a spattering of archer and mages on endgame azure moon . Which yes is a challenge early game when poison strike and pass will destroy you but past stops being a problem once dimitry hits A authority and you can buy kingdom archer battalion.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    I guess there are previews now? It sounds more like a preview of someone's review (i.e. they've spent a good while with the game)

tl;dw: everything is great, except for the reduced focus on story

https://youtu.be/3-WPNQ5EhcI

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Is Colgate-chan's hair down to her ankles? That looks like a cape.

I'd be bummed about the reduced focus on story, except I haven't liked a story since Awakening.

silence1186 on
    edited January 2023
    https://www.polygon.com/23539224/fire-emblem-engage-preview-impressions-three-houses-nintendo-switch?utm_campaign=polygon&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Polygon says the social aspects are much lighter.

But all combat aspects are great. From the way rings let you customize the team to the actual map design.

Excited!

DemonStacey on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah everything I've read makes it sound closer to a GBA FE but with modern sensibilities added in.

Which all sounds great to me.

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    So finishing up this latest run and was wondering if I ended up with a high roll on Dedue , the answer was yes and then some

Spoiler tags for size.

5h30nixyq3oe.jpeg

So I went fighter-> brigand-> archer-> warrior-> mercenary-> warmaster

For a final loadout of :

Deathblow
    Hit+20
    Wrath
    Vantage
    Lance prowess

I recommend it , deletes everything with vengeance as well as being a solid EP unit as well. So far he been the only unit I’ve had to break 300 damage on a vengeance crit.

I didn't realize just how much progression was tied to the rings.

That actually has me very excited! I love me some JRPG character progression and this feels like it really adds some new layers.

And just hearing how much better the maps are is fantastic news.

I do love the social aspects but overall I'm loving what I'm reading. Just sounds like its going to be a very addictive gameplay loop.

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Wondering about deployment limits. 10-12 max even up through the late game felt pretty restrictive in 3H.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Wondering about deployment limits. 10-12 max even up through the late game felt pretty restrictive in 3H.

Yeah it was weird being able to recruit all those characters when you only ever had space for the basic class and a few extras.

I actually prefer more restrictive deployment limits. The whole picking and choosing part is something I really enjoy.

Granted I'm definitely more on the extreme other end wherein I like using closer to 8 units and regardless of the limits would definitely never use over 10.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Aren't these games still built around the idea that you are constantly losing units to permadeath, even if that isn't the default anymore? That's part of why they always keep new blood coming in.

Aren't these games still built around the idea that you are constantly losing units to permadeath, even if that isn't the default anymore? That's part of why they always keep new blood coming in.

Yeah, its been optional for a while now but having new units available offfsets it.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Polygon's pre-review sadly makes Engage sound like none of what we liked the most about Three Houses.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    edited January 2023
    I know a lot of people liked Three Houses and I'm not gonna pretend like it wasn't a great game that I didn't put 200+ hours into but I also disliked how the gameplay was pared down in a lot of ways. So the return to focus on the gameplay is a plus for me.

(I was always of the opinion that if it wasn't for the terrible story Fates: Conquest would have been my favorite FE in the last decade because of how good the combat was. Sadly the story was utter garbage)

Also I felt a big part of the game's appeal was seeing the story unfold from multiple perspectives which is one of those things you can't really just repeat back to back.

Dragkonias on
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    @MNC Dover Now that we hit 100 pages and Engage is about to come out we should probably have a new thread, right?

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Which character is grossly OP is sometimes random depending on the Fire Emblem and the stats gained during level up.

In Radiant Dawn I ended up with a tank mage. Who I would send down 1 side of the map and they would slowly meander down that corridor killing absolutely everything and taking minimal damage. And the other corridor was everyone else with a couple knights and fliers hitting targets in the middle.

We’ll see if I can do the same with the new fire emblem.

Really cool gameplay update:

To potentially help keep armor units more relevant it seems they are *not* affected by the Break system.

So it really does give them a good benefit to being the unit you throw in the frontline to tank.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
This discussion has been closed.