As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

šŸ–„ļøšŸŽ® - Nadir, Scorchlands & You can Do!mino out today!

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    frozen was a decade ago

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    And yet my four year old niece is still obsessed with it

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: Ā»
    I feel like they're going for the "I need to see what this actually is" installs

Yup. The other angle is the ā€œI can do better than that!ā€ after the ad shows the failure state by playing poorly.

pEmpejB.jpg

personally I think these boys are doing great and I wish them the best

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    A youtube ad for one of those miscellaneous mobile base/farm building games uses music that is clearly a rip-off of the Obra Dinn theme. It's not exactly the same but it's close enough to be really annoying every time I hear it.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    look we've all seen macrofur art,

I'll have you know that surprisingly it's not planets so much as stars that get that attention...

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: Ā»

yeah there's been leaks/rumors for the past two weeks or so, that they're going to be doing a Xbox "Direct" style presentation this month, they have a new studio that they're planning on using for it

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

I have had an incredible 2.5 years freelancing with Kotaku, but I really need to sort a Proper Job.

If anyone is looking for a games critic and editor, a co-creator and former editor of Rock Paper Shotgun, with 25 years' experience, please do DM or email me.

I'm pretty good.

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    I feel like they're going for the "I need to see what this actually is" installs

Yup. The other angle is the ā€œI can do better than that!ā€ after the ad shows the failure state by playing poorly.

Iā€™ve seen the ads for the ā€œguy and Minotaur and lava and water and gold and remove the bars in orderā€ game so many timesā€¦ and Iā€™ve been kind of interested in the gameplay since a nice little logic puzzle would be nice from time to timeā€¦ but at this point Iā€™m just not playing it out of spite for the ads; if I download it Iā€™d feel like the marketing had won.

Also doesnā€™t help that I have specific memories of the gameplay but not the title. šŸ™ƒ

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: Ā»

Iā€™ve seen the ads for the ā€œguy and Minotaur and lava and water and gold and remove the bars in orderā€ game so many timesā€¦ and Iā€™ve been kind of interested in the gameplay since a nice little logic puzzle would be nice from time to timeā€¦ but at this point Iā€™m just not playing it out of spite for the ads; if I download it Iā€™d feel like the marketing had won.

Also doesnā€™t help that I have specific memories of the gameplay but not the title. šŸ™ƒ

The puzzles aren't even in the games advertised fwiw

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Yeah I don't think the gold/lava/levers/man game in mobile game ads actually exists, it's a fictional game made up to trick people into downloading random crap in the hopes of finding that game.

Quintessential false advertising, I have no idea how the advertisers responsible don't get sued or something.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    My favorite mobile game ad is for like, Frostmorne: night raid or whatever, because it just blasts "ZUCKERBERG AND GATES AND BUFFET, AMATEURS CAN FUCKING SUCK IT" uncensored over gameplay, in a way that seems clear the song is not licensed and the swearing is not ad approved

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    I guess the advertisers are just based in russia or China or something probably so they don't give a shit

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I think those games came under fire for not having the gameplay shown in the ads, so like... There's one bit of gameplay in the game like that somewhere they they added, just to technically be in compliance.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    But what about RHONDA ROUSEY IN RAID SHADOW LEGENDS?

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Yeah I don't think the gold/lava/levers/man game in mobile game ads actually exists, it's a fictional game made up to trick people into downloading random crap in the hopes of finding that game.

Quintessential false advertising, I have no idea how the advertisers responsible don't get sued or something.

Iirc since the games are free, the actual result of a fake ad is "someone wasted their time downloading an app they didn't want" which the fcc (or ftc?) doesn't really have the resources to care about

DrDinosaur on
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    It what about RHONDA ROUSEY IN RAID SHADOW LEGENDS?

Rhonda Rousey! Haven't thought of you in forever, weren't you King-Shit like ten years ago? How are things?....Wow, that's too bad, sorry to hear that

• Options
    mrpaku wrote: Ā»
    It what about RHONDA ROUSEY IN RAID SHADOW LEGENDS?

Rhonda Rousey! Haven't thought of you in forever, weren't you King-Shit like ten years ago? How are things?....Wow, that's too bad, sorry to hear that

Rhonda Rousey really fell from grace and hit every branch on the way down. Unstoppable MMA champion to getting crushed in two fights and retiring right as she was getting movie roles as a heavy, which dried up because her terrible acting ability + losing reputation meant she wasn't a draw at all, then there was the stink of transphobia with how she weighed in on Fallon Fox, and now I guess she's got a decent WWE career, but she's not going anywhere else.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Rousey sucks for a lot of reasons but god it's incredible how bad she is at acting. You'd think she could pull off a nearly silent action role. Gina Carano managed it just fine in Haywire! Rousey is in Furious 7 for a couple scenes and gets a single line of dialogue before a fight, which she delivers in the most stilted way possible. It's almost impressive

• Options
    Rousey sucks for a lot of reasons but god it's incredible how bad she is at acting. You'd think she could pull off a nearly silent action role. Gina Carano managed it just fine in Haywire! Rousey is in Furious 7 for a couple scenes and gets a single line of dialogue before a fight, which she delivers in the most stilted way possible. It's almost impressive

Yeah, it's actually impressive how poorly she winds up coming across even in big budget roles where she has a single line; if you gave Tommy Wiseau a day on those sets, you could get a 10x better performance.

I was honestly shocked that Rousey had an impressive WWE career when I looked it up because I genuinely thought there's no way she could sell any storylines even if she could do the physical shoots.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    you can be absolute dogshit and have an incredibly successful wrestling career if vince mcmahon likes you

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    more proof that professional wrestling is fake

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    I went to a WWE show in Canada last year where Sandy Hook denier Ronda Rousey wore a shirt meant to commemorate Indigenous children who died at residential schools and that felt real gross.

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    frozen was a decade ago

Sure was, and it still has an iron grip on children.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I was half tempted to download Merge Mansion even with no interest in the game, just to support their ā€œgrandma in giant mansion going to jail, heā€™s aliveā€ ads.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular

A real game that really is the "pull the pins out in the right order" game (and nothing else) is Hero Rescue.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    frozen was a decade ago

Sure was, and it still has an iron grip on children.

My book section has generic disney coloring books, latest two or three disney movie coloring books, and Frozen 1 and Frozen 2 coloring books. They are their own genre. If disney bring out some other kind of book, it also will have Frozen 1 and Frozen 2 versions. Parents still ask "Do you have anything Frozen?"

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    My 7yo discovered Frozen about 2 months ago, after getting one of those branded "Where's Wally/Waldo" find-the-character books called 'Find Olaf' or something.

The next thing I know I'm inundated in Let it Go and being given pictures of Elsa and Anna as Amongus icons (because the first thing you do as a kid is fanfiction crossovers between whatever your favourite fads are).

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: Ā»
    My 7yo discovered Frozen about 2 months ago, after getting one of those branded "Where's Wally/Waldo" find-the-character books called 'Find Olaf' or something.

The next thing I know I'm inundated in Let it Go and being given pictures of Elsa and Anna as Amongus icons (because the first thing you do as a kid is fanfiction crossovers between whatever your favourite fads are).

pouring one out for Fishman

• Options

A real game that really is the "pull the pins out in the right order" game (and nothing else) is Hero Rescue.

oh my god it IS a real game, holy shit

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Rousey's voice acting in Mortal Kombat is comically awful

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Wait, does she play herself in MK? Because I canā€™t imagine anyone hiring her to just voice a character.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    She's Sonya blade for some reason

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Yeah it was a stupid decision. Even worse they actually changed her face to look like RR, like face scanned but slightly edited, Thankfully they changed it post launch to a more generic Sonya face and not recognisably hers. Hopefully they learned their lesson there

Also I was reading about spiderman 2 and people are hoping that it will have coop. Am I the only one who doesnā€™t want that at all? Like I feel as though that would require huge compromises in animation and fidelity, and the last thing I want in a super cinematic game like that is a kind of goofy coop character movement vibe. Iā€™d rather you just control the two characters yourself

I mean I suppose if anyone could make coop character animation actually look decent it would be insomniac, but itā€™s honestly not what I want from the game

Prohass on
  • Options
    I just want another absolutely incredible single player game again, yeah

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Insomniac said it's a single-player game with no co-op back when it was revealed
    However, the PC version of SM1 had a ton of weird strings in the files talking about co-op and competitive minigames, so who knows:

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    woops wrong thread somehow

Gundi on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: Ā»
    Yeah it was a stupid decision. Even worse they actually changed her face to look like RR, like face scanned but slightly edited, Thankfully they changed it post launch to a more generic Sonya face and not recognisably hers. Hopefully they learned their lesson there
    I'm really not fond of the "hey, this actor is voicing and emoting this character, let's make the character look like the actor!" trend, I don't want video game characters to look like actual people, it's distracting.

A cynical part of me wonders how much the claim that it's necessary for the facial capture to work is true, and how much it's just them going 'well we paid this movie actor instead of a voice actor, we can't hide them!', but I don't like it.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I donā€™t really mind if its done for the right reasons and done well, peoples faces do look better emoting when itā€™s their own face. For me as long as itā€™s for creative reasons and not just to get an actor Iā€™m fine with it, I like both ways

However, itā€™s even stupider than that with Mk11, cos I donā€™t think they actually used performance capture on her, they just did a face scan and kind of appropriated it onto a fictional face. Itā€™s very odd, like that wouldā€™ve meant thereā€™s another performer under there. I think it was done purely for cross promotional purposes

• Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular

That's actually real?? I just assumed that game didn't exist and the visual only existed for (false) marketing. I wonder what else is real...

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
This discussion has been closed.