As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Stompybots? Stompybots. STOMPYBOTS! MW5 on Steam NOW!

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Paraphrasing Russ’s statements:

Devlog coming this week

New stand-alone MW title in development, similar to MW5, no details beyond that yet, but should be announced later this year (Fall?)

MW5 on Epic.
    Did not have the money to release a finished product (would have had to release partially done that September). Delayed Steam release as they wanted to simultaneously release on consoles and Steam.

RE:AAA studio doing MW:
    if they wanted it they would have done it by now. Points out small community and even HBS has moved on.

RE:Future
    Russ surprised still working on MWO, good relationship with Microsoft. PGI’s licensing was originally inherited, MWO2 not currently in development, but they are interested in doing it. License is up in 2025, would want to know they have it until 2030.

MWO2 would have to be “from scratch,”. Could “never do what Overwatch did” and player base would likely need to be ready for an entirely fresh start. Major concern is if MWO2 would be profitable enough to justify making if they try to “port” player purchases over. Likely not FTP. Lots of discussion on what it would entail (vehicles, respawns, etc)

Not even sure there is a market for it.

RE:Current stuff:
    MWO is “getting the resources it justifies”. It gets the same revenue in a year it used to get in about 6-8 weeks. Still profitable, but not nearly as much. Thinks it has at least a couple more years left in it. Basically has replacement staff that they need, just short a 3D artist. Slightly more resources in 2023 than 2022. 2022 revenue was down compared to 2021, even with the new mech packs. MW player base appears to be resistant to growth.

TLDR: revenue has not increased with increased spending, they have most of the staff needed at current levels, but can’t justify increasing beyond that.

At its peak MWO had 8-9k concurrent players, averaged 4-5K most of the time, currently around half that.

MW5 is probably going to match MWO’s overall revenue in a year. Lots of discussion on monetization,

MW5 made because they were unable to get PVE into MWO.

• Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    It seems a little odd that the electronic versions of Battletech haven't been pulling in new numbers since the tabletop version has been doing so well, but also the TT might just be doing well with repeat purchasers?

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    As far as was public statements go, HBS moved on because they wanted to move to something new, not because it wasn't turning a profit? Like, every single gaming source I follow, fans of BT or not, has been recommending that game as one of the best turn based tactics on the market since its release, I would be frankly shocked finding out it hadn't sold gangbusters.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    monkeykins wrote: »
    It seems a little odd that the electronic versions of Battletech haven't been pulling in new numbers since the tabletop version has been doing so well, but also the TT might just be doing well with repeat purchasers?

MWO is stagnant and stupidly priced. If you weren't already into it, it's not offering anything to bring in new players. That they constantly trot out the excuse about not having staff to do stuff but never fix it should tell you how much they care about MWO's growth. HBS Battletech's last DLC was over 3 years ago and the dev is working on other projects so all you have is a tiny number of long-tail purchasers. MW5 was also released over 3 years ago and while still has new DLC to be released, I don't know that DLC brings in significant "new" purchasers if you weren't one already. The TT is seeing quite the relative success with all their new products, but that's a tiny market as well. I doubt there's many TT players that haven't already bought the video games if they had any interest in such things.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Russ’s responses were basically “were not seeing a corresponding revenue increase when we put more resources in”

Which likely is true, I’d put it more on “resources in wrong places”

Like, 2 new chassis are nice and all, but we’ve been hearing talk about working on the MM and bug fixes since Daeron came on board and I’m fairly certain that’s more what people are looking for.

• Options
    Turns out, when something is abandoned for years, opening your wallet once isn't going to instantly reward you for your 'generosity'. MWO is definitely in a better place today than two years ago, but that's not saying much, the only reason it has a population at all is because there's no competition in its space to speak of, not because of PGI's love and care. You don't grow a community by abandoning it.

I wish MS just handed out BT licenses like candy, the same way Games Workshop does, then at least from the pile of chaff we'd have some real gems also.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Also, like, ain't too many people buying multiples of each mech pack in MWO.

You can only pilot one Marauder at a time

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Despite playing MWO a good amount, I've not spent money on it since my (later regretted) MW5 preorder. And while I have been spending the free MC you can get with events, without those I think I'd simply not have gotten that stuff anyway?

All the stuff in MWO that I feel I'd want (colours, paint jobs, horns) is also stuff priced so ridiculously high I just cannot bring myself to spend money on them, they make me feel like a rube.

• Options
    Tox wrote: »
    Also, like, ain't too many people buying multiples of each mech pack in MWO.

You can only pilot one Marauder at a time

I may know of a guy who bought 4 Crusader packs so he could run 4xCRD-6T in faction play before they were available for CBills >.>

But that is true, the only times I really see people spending real money on multiple mechs is heroes, and usually it’s people who primarily do faction play or comp

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    All the stuff in MWO that I feel I'd want (colours, paint jobs, horns) is also stuff priced so ridiculously high I just cannot bring myself to spend money on them, they make me feel like a rube.

I 100% agree with this. Sure, you can get loads of free stuff, so dropping $10 after getting 9 free mechs doesn't SOUND terrible for 10 mechs, but 9 of those you buy with in-game currency and the other cost you $10. The value for that $10 is absurdly low.

• Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    maraji wrote: »
    Picked up MW5 and started playing it. My son walked over to see what I was doing and proceeded to have a ball at my expense as I learned how to play.

“Dad, are you going to play stompybots?” Gave way to “Dad I want to play stompybots with you - I’ll control the missiles and the big gun.” Eventually this was bound to happen:
    fjukvjurb7mp.jpeg

Some of my earliest video game experiences were playing Multiplayer Battletech: Solaris with my dad. Building some great memories here.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    "...even HBS had moved on."

Oof. What a gut punch.

I hope hope hope hope hope HBS comes back and gives us a BATTLETECH 2 some day.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »

Oof. What a gut punch.

HBS why would you forsake us this way :(

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Even if it isn't HBS, hopefully someone will make a worthy successor (with better performance and Steam Workshop support).

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »

Oof. What a gut punch.

Orca wrote: »
    HBS why would you forsake us this way :(

Listen, this is Russ talking. He doesn't know shit about what HBS is up to. All anyone knows is that they finished up BTPC DLC after being bought by Paradox (remember, one of the best stewards of strategy and tactics games on the market?), and they've been working support on Paradox projects. Give them time. BTPC is still glorious and critically acclaimed. There's no way Paradox passes up a chance to eventually capitalize on that with a sequel.

I 100% choose to believe given enough time, the HBS inside Paradox will lead to a bigger and better BTPC2 than we would have gotten had HBS stayed independant. I also believe this means starting from the ground up once again, building an engine that can support the kind of game we all want, that doesn't need three supercomputers to simulate a single game turn.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I'm not Chicken Little-ing. HBS genuinely loves the franchise, and has deep roots with it. But they do love/have roots with other stuff too, and there are only so many development cycles out there.

Still, hope springs eternal.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    They had 2 other non-BT games in the pipeline like 4 years ago before they might return to it. Though the only clues on those since are "horror" and "turn-based tactical combat" from some job postings. But given the founders created the entire franchise in the first place and have also been making BT related video games for 30 years, I rather doubt we've seen the last BT game from them.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Yeah Battletech was a big success for HBS, their best selling game no less. It absolutely blew away their estimations. Hell, it still sells for full price even now. But HBS is a small studio (around 60 people) and can’t have concurrent projects going.

Honestly I suspect they started in on their new project before they realized how successful BT would turn out to be. Probably started the groundwork a bit before Battletech’s release even.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    If nothing else, as long as HBS/Paradox don't need the money, they'll benefit immensely from just waiting until the new Kickstarter because, hey, more assets!

(obviously it's not quite that straightforward, but still, if nothing else it's more data about which 'mechs are most popular)

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Also, HBS BattleTech also has strong modding support

MW5 has the modding, but I found the gameplay inferior to MWO which cant be modded since its an arena shooter.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    While I know not to trust what PGI says without a heapin' helpin' of salt, but Russ makes it sounds like the near future of the IP in videogames is about to hit dormancy again. A new singleplayer MW game could be a great time but if it doesn't include co-op and isn't a remaster/remake of a classic title, why buy it over MW5? The co-op makes that game shine in a really neat way.

I don't need the IP to have AAA funding and production values but it deserves more than it gets. Like, a few more people in development could have seriously polished AI and spawning work, a few more could have done a killer Clan Invasion DLC, and so on. MW5 is a skeleton, but a good skeleton, and quite literally the only good modern standard game of its type. I actually think its bonkers that the DLCs for MW5 have been as sparse as they have been considering that the game generates more money than MWO, so much so that a decade of F2P monetization gets outpaced by a B-tier premium package.

It's the missed potential, you know? Of course you know, it's the same ol' song and dance for more than a damn decade.

• Options
    While I know not to trust what PGI says without a heapin' helpin' of salt, but Russ makes it sounds like the near future of the IP in videogames is about to hit dormancy again. A new singleplayer MW game could be a great time but if it doesn't include co-op and isn't a remaster/remake of a classic title, why buy it over MW5? The co-op makes that game shine in a really neat way.

I don't need the IP to have AAA funding and production values but it deserves more than it gets. Like, a few more people in development could have seriously polished AI and spawning work, a few more could have done a killer Clan Invasion DLC, and so on. MW5 is a skeleton, but a good skeleton, and quite literally the only good modern standard game of its type. I actually think its bonkers that the DLCs for MW5 have been as sparse as they have been considering that the game generates more money than MWO, so much so that a decade of F2P monetization gets outpaced by a B-tier premium package.

It's the missed potential, you know? Of course you know, it's the same ol' song and dance for more than a damn decade.

He did mention that it's planned with co-op PVE. Presumably it's going to be based off of the MW5 shell.

• Options
    YMMV on that last one, I guess. For me coop felt rudimentary at best- what's that, you want to bring your own mechs? Tough titties, you're player 2, you play Luigi. You want to get shit for your campaign (maybe even *gasp* progress) when helping your friend's campaign? No. Sit down.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    I managed to get like seven people who had zero interest in Battletech at all playing with me off and on through MW5.

Having the outlet to just SMASH ROBOTS and have someone else worry about the fiddly bits of mech construction has given them HUGE amounts of fun.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    You are their mech engineer. That's cool.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    YMMV on that last one, I guess. For me coop felt rudimentary at best- what's that, you want to bring your own mechs? Tough titties, you're player 2, you play Luigi. You want to get shit for your campaign (maybe even *gasp* progress) when helping your friend's campaign? No. Sit down.

God, I would love it if each player got to pick 2 mechs from their campaign (pilot and backup when the first needs repairs)

And then each player is independently bidding on the salvage, while the Cbills and other rewards are split evenly.

The current system just felt like such shit, come pilot crappy mechs to help me get better ones, while you dont progress at all.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Honestly I’m at the point in MW5 where I’d merc myself out for other peoples’ drops. Probably just need to know what mods (if any) are in use.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I'm going to try to get Mechwarrior 3 working on Windows 10. Anyone have a guide they've used? I tried it a few years ago but I was never able to get the framerate fixed.

• Options
    Battletech (BEX): 2 skull clan missions seem to mostly have "star of target clan, plus 4 mechs friendly to target clan" mostly in <80 ton mechs. I was hoping to reliably see a few more assaults.

Had a Nova with one arm at near max heat punch the head off my almost untouched Atlas right at the end of a drop. I'm already trying to train up one pilot so I can get 3 drops without delaying for fatigue. I'll need to hop back into IS space for hiring and better XP missions. Luckily all the clan weapons I've been gathering make my Atlas & Annihilators super deadly. Haven't gotten a good Clan Weapon build for the King Crabs- the cUAC20s have way too much recoil, cGauss just works better on my Anni (shooting 3 Gauss + cUAC5 pretty much decimates any CT in one Called Shot) so I havent figured out a good Crab build yet. Perhaps skimping on the claw Ballistics and leaning heavy into the energy and missile hardpoints?

• Options
    edited January 2023
    New map guy is hitting the ground running:

(shows change in Forest Colony to add some more paths on the far side of the map)

Showing off map changes:
    zh1rcww5oous.png

Nobody on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

God, I would love it if each player got to pick 2 mechs from their campaign (pilot and backup when the first needs repairs)

And then each player is independently bidding on the salvage, while the Cbills and other rewards are split evenly.

The current system just felt like such shit, come pilot crappy mechs to help me get better ones, while you dont progress at all.

Yeah I was super excited until I saw how it was implemented.

There's just not a lot for anyone other than the host to do unless actively in a mission and even then there's not much reason to.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    I'm seriously baffled by everyone's poor experiences with MW5 coop! Like I just am!

Every single group I've played with has pretty much broken down into "People Who Want To Tinker With Mechs" and they then kinda claim a mech and tinker with it, with the engineery types talking builds

And then you have the "People Who Want To Smash Shit" and the engineery types ask them "Hey what do you want to do" and then they answer and then a mech gets tossed together and BAM a mission happens and people are memeing about THE HEAVY HAND and calling out targets and blowing stuff up

and then when someone inevitably blows up it's "Well it sure is a good thing that I'm not paying for this" and everyone laughs and giggles and it's just generally a good time.

EDIT: And-- shit we had a Steam player, an EGS player, a PS4 player, and a XBox player all playing at once, with minimal fuss during one of those sessions too! It's-- it's seriously good shit!

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    I get the general impression a lot of it comes down to "I have this awesome build in my game, I can't drop it into (Friend)'s game to help them because (they haven't progressed far enough/unlucky with drops/unlucky with rare mechs/don't have the cbills to build it out/etc)"

EDIT: especially when it comes down to "my friend needs help to get through a rough mission"

Nobody on
  • Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    I get the general impression a lot of it comes down to "I have this awesome build in my game, I can't drop it into (Friend)'s game to help them because (they haven't progressed far enough/unlucky with drops/unlucky with rare mechs/don't have the cbills to build it out/etc)"

EDIT: especially when it comes down to "my friend needs help to get through a rough mission"

I've never really experienced a "rough mission" that hasn't been completely dismantled by four people paying attention, even with subpar mechs.

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    New map guy is hitting the ground running:

(shows change in Forest Colony to add some more paths on the far side of the map)

Showing off map changes:
    zh1rcww5oous.png
    What I find bizarre is the lack of Tourmaline. On a scale of "how often does the map get voted, combined with how unfun it is to play", Tourmaline is hot trash as far as I'm concerned; sniper spots that are almost unassailable and have clear view of the main conflict area, cover made of crystal structures whose hitboxes don't match their visuals at all, just terrible.

• Options
    Tourmaline’s main problem is the invisible walls, iirc that needs a 3d artist to fix which they currently don’t have.

It’s a pretty big map for comp, unfortunately I dunno any way you can fix the issues for QP (lemmings going to lemming), but there ways of dealing with each sniper spot.

• Options
    Devlog up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBpgareX458

Can toss up a "TLDW" in a bit if people want. Some major stuff being promised here.

• Options
    TLDW:

Up first:
    Match Maker is the focus starting in February.

Maps:
    New Map in March
    Map guy is working a lot on "long existing issues." (personal note, some of the stuff I've seen discussed about Solaris City is horrifying, and it's something he's addressing).
    Hoping to get 4 new maps out this year.

Mechs:
    New Mech this year (no info on chassis yet)
    Crusader was a success
    Hatchetman pack is getting cockpit items (retroactively) Early Adopters are also getting (an additional) Hatchetman in a Platinum skin. Extending the event and EA time period.

Rebranding/New Program:
    Rebranding as "Mechwarrior Online Legends" (yeah, I know, other people have pointed it out too) since Solaris is long gone.
    New "Legends" variants with Battle Pass only available in web store. These are entirely new variants of existing chassis with 30% boost and special camo. You get the full suite of cockpit items, and the "Battle Pass" for it is "at your own pace" so no need to rush it. Some kind of new quirk called "Outlier"

Cauldron
    Thanking the Cauldron, discussing further updates.
    Badges are going to be available as decals (March)
    Looking into new weapons (may not have new models). I've personally heard LACs and HAGs discussed.

Faction Warfare
    Going to ask community about Faction Warfare and what people want for it.

Bundles:
    "build your own Platinum custom collection" (sounds like the dropship deals they do every now and then, but with platinum mechs instead).
    Retiring the old massive bundles (specifically calls out the Clan, Origins, Resistance, Phoenix, etc packs), adding in new standardized mech packs for each of the Clan mechs (ex: Dire Wolf Pack with Prime, A, B, etc)
    Adding in packs for the mechs that never had them (ex: Commando)
    There will be some kind of "retirement party" for the old bundles.

Events:
    More (and more consistent) Event Queues.
    Annual rewards program
    Continuing monthly free mechs
    Tournament/supporter pack continuing
    Loot bag events
    Double XP/Boosted heroes

Think that's everything important?

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Thank you for writing all that out. I don't have the time to watch videos, so I seriously appreciate it!

The one day I played MWO to get my free mechs really made me wish I had more time to play again. I miss my stompy bots, and playing with Oosiks.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    MechMantis wrote: »
    I'm seriously baffled by everyone's poor experiences with MW5 coop! Like I just am!

Every single group I've played with has pretty much broken down into "People Who Want To Tinker With Mechs" and they then kinda claim a mech and tinker with it, with the engineery types talking builds

And then you have the "People Who Want To Smash Shit" and the engineery types ask them "Hey what do you want to do" and then they answer and then a mech gets tossed together and BAM a mission happens and people are memeing about THE HEAVY HAND and calling out targets and blowing stuff up

and then when someone inevitably blows up it's "Well it sure is a good thing that I'm not paying for this" and everyone laughs and giggles and it's just generally a good time.

EDIT: And-- shit we had a Steam player, an EGS player, a PS4 player, and a XBox player all playing at once, with minimal fuss during one of those sessions too! It's-- it's seriously good shit!

It's less that there's not a lot of fun to be had (there is!) and more that the implementation felt incredibly half-assed.

Like it would have been a perfectly cromulent thing in 2010 but it was a dozen years later and this is what PGI decided to go with?

HappylilElf on