As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Windows OS] Version 1604 - Dual core Atom: Pass. 8 core Ryzen 1700X: Fail.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    There is a strong "what the fuck were we thinking" vibe to the whole notion. We're really in late-stage capitalism 'how can we make people buy stuff they already have or have no plausible use for?' territory

Running individual power lines to like 20 different RGB strips in shelves is heinously extravagant, and considering the speed of advancement be wholly obsolete in a few years.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    SQL Server CEIP (Customer Experience Improvement Program) service crashing SQL Server

touche, microsoft

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I have a very general question: if I'm happy with Win 10, is this a good time to switch to Win 11 (because it's basically Win 10 but better), or are there still fundamental reasons not to make the switch? And are there any potential issues with upgrading to Win 11 that mean it'd be better for me to wait until I've got a weekend to make the switch and resolve any resulting issues?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Thirith wrote: »
    I have a very general question: if I'm happy with Win 10, is this a good time to switch to Win 11 (because it's basically Win 10 but better), or are there still fundamental reasons not to make the switch? And are there any potential issues with upgrading to Win 11 that mean it'd be better for me to wait until I've got a weekend to make the switch and resolve any resulting issues?

I was going to upgrade but I read something about how the Windows 11 22H2 update can cause stuttering in some games, so I'm holding off until that is fixed.

EDIT: Oh, and now that I google I see that it has been fixed: https://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-releases-bug-fix-for-stuttering-game-performance-in-windows-11-22h2/

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Windows 11 is largely fine. Is it perfect? No. Is Windows 10 perfect? No. I use both every single day and there are things I like better about both, and things I dislike about both.

I'm generally in the "I like to push the upgrade button as fast as possible" camp personally, but if Windows 10 works well enough for you, there isn't a massive incentive to upgrade unless you just want the shiny new.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    The difference between 10 and 11 is minimal. Theres some initial changes, like removing spacing between files in file manager (who thought that was a good idea?) and getting used to not having the right click taskbar menu anymore.

On the flip side, the relatively small difference means the update won’t be that big a deal and you can also wait it out

It feels very incremental, like 98 to 2000.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    The difference between 10 and 11 is minimal. Theres some initial changes, like removing spacing between files in file manager (who thought that was a good idea?) and getting used to not having the right click taskbar menu anymore.

On the flip side, the relatively small difference means the update won’t be that big a deal and you can also wait it out

The Right click task manager on the taskbar is back, actually. If you're up to date you should see it now. Happened within the last few weeks.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

UI changes were minimal but Win11 has a lot of performance improvements over 10. And if you have a CPU from the last year or two, the scheduler improvements in Win11 are required to take advantage of those advancements. Win11 also supports HDR and DirectStorage to take better advantage of good monitors and NVMe drives in games that support it.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

The Right click task manager on the taskbar is back, actually. If you're up to date you should see it now. Happened within the last few weeks.

I am probably not up to date, as I'm just kind of letting my OS sit there. Good to hear it's back, don't know who thought it was a good idea to get rid of it.

• Options
    edited December 2022

UI changes were minimal but Win11 has a lot of performance improvements over 10. And if you have a CPU from the last year or two, the scheduler improvements in Win11 are required to take advantage of those advancements. Win11 also supports HDR and DirectStorage to take better advantage of good monitors and NVMe drives in games that support it.

Windows HDR is garbage. It looks fine in game, I'm not dogging it there, but the way HDR works in Windows is awful. I see no difference between 10 and 11 in this case, just a barely stapled-on implementation. After seeing how HDR works in Macs (i.e. it just works, not to be a shill or anything) I can't call what MS is doing "Good"

Directstorage has also been announced it will work in Win 10.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

hmm I'm up to date and do not have that, only Taskbar Settings like before.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited December 2022

hmm I'm up to date and do not have that, only Taskbar Settings like before.

What version does your OS show? Mine shows Ver. 22H2 Build 22621.963, and I've got "Task Manager" and "Taskbar settings".

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    system information says version 10.0.22621 Build 22621, not sure where to find the version numbers you're seeing

ah wait found it, version 22H2 build 22621.963

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Well that's definitely odd then... wth 🤔

Are you running Win 11 Pro? I'd be awful surprised if this is different in Pro vs Home, but MS has done crazier things.

• Options
    Home for me. Only way I can get to task manager without searching is from the ctrl alt delete screen.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Home for me. Only way I can get to task manager without searching is from the ctrl alt delete screen.

You could just start it once then right click its icon on the taskbar and pin it. Then it's just a single click from the task bar when you need it. I use task manager quite often, so that's what I've done.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    did 11 get rid of the ctrl+shift+esc task manager summons?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I thought win 10 did, but it's been a while since I've used it because I always forget. I just use win+x and select it from the menu.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ctrl+shift+esc still opens task manager on 11

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    ctrl+shift+esc still opens task manager on 11

Win 10 as well

• Options
    Ok guys I'm curious how you'd recommend I handle this situation. I have a friend who I'm helping build a PC for his son. We have all the parts and the son wants to learn how to do it and I'm all for helping with that situation.

My friend is notoriously cheap when it comes to PC parts, but ALSO he thinks that buying retail is the only way to get a "legit" copy of Windows.

His wife is a teacher, so I've tasked him with looking into a EDU discount. That aside, I'd like to use a third party site like CDKeys or Eneba to get him a Windows copy (I have a few sites in mind). I honestly don't care; at least one of the computers in my house is using a Windows key I paid $4 for on Ebay.

Do I let him spend full price on it, or discuss some of the third party sites; or maybe just buy a key and tell him to use it and don't ask questions?

What's funny is that this is the same friend who uses a Kodi box for cable and movies and doesn't bat an eye that he's basically pirating movies and TV.

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Grayware is sketchy as hell. I know people say its fine but everything I’ve read about it (illegally sold volume licenses, keys purchased with stolen credit cards, etc) makes me doubt it

I feel like if you’re gonna recommend it to your friend you should probably be up front that you’re putting a copy of windows that “fell off the truck” for lack of a better term.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    I'm also all for teaching the kid that not everything is free and yes even big companies do deserve to get paid for providing you a service/delivering you a product.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    It looks like I'm finally going to have to revert my PC back to 10 in a few weeks. Not looking forward to that. I know I'm not actually going to lose anything the matters in the process especially since 11 is safely out, but it's still a hassle for no real gain on my end beyond continued access to security patches.

What I'd really prefer to be sitting on now would be a hypothetical version between 10 and 11 that had its features locked down but still had half a decade of support left.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited December 2022

Don’t forget that 11 has mitigations against techniques that malware in the wild are using to take over PC component firmware.

Frem on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I'm running Windows 11 and my computer's fans get noticeably loud when the computer is in the screen-off sleep state, but not in the deeper-sleep sleep state like when I select Sleep from the power options. They're basically silent except when I leave the computer for a few minutes and the screen turns off. I recently updated my BIOS to the latest version to fix it having issues waking from sleep at all, and now I'm not sure how to proceed. I ran Sleep Study and it doesn't show anything of note. Most of the stuff online is just "update your BIOS" which like I said is already all set. Anyone have a clue what might be up?

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    I was working last night on a cheap USB key that had a bunch of stuff on it for a friend. I tried to install both the Win10 and Win11 installers on two separate partitions. The Win11 installer overwrote the Win10 installer and merged the partitions. I'm assuming the scripting in both USB media creator tools cause this to happen.

It's super niche, but does anyone know a way to get both utilities on one USB? Or is it essentially impossible? (which is fine; at this point I'm just curious)

• Options
    The 1st party tools won't.

But a quick trip to google, and like the second result was this: https://www.easyuefi.com/wintohdd/faq/en-US/How-to-use-WinToHDD-create-multi-installation-USB.html

Can't verify if it works or not, but it looks like what you're looking for.

• Options
    I'll take a look. Thanks

• Options
    Windows 8.1 gets its last update today, officially out of support. Windows 7 is now out of support even for businesses that were paying for extended support.

If you or someone you know is still on 8.1, it really, really is time to move on.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Windows 8.1 gets its last update today, officially out of support. Windows 7 is now out of support even for businesses that were paying for extended support.

If you or someone you know is still on 8.1, it really, really is time to move on.

You'll pry windows me from my cold dead hands.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Also it looks like they're going to stop selling 10 at the end of this month. So for folks who are in that hardware space that is older but not recent enough for 11, y'all be screwed.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Also it looks like they're going to stop selling 10 at the end of this month. So for folks who are in that hardware space that is older but not recent enough for 11, y'all be screwed.

Win10 is over 7 years old at this point. But end of retail sale doesn't mean end of support. That goes until 2025. And it's not like 10 will stop working on your existing equipment. And you can just get the Win10 installer download and use your existing key to reinstall 10 on whatever you want forever so nobody is actually "screwed" here.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Thirith wrote: »

I was going to upgrade but I read something about how the Windows 11 22H2 update can cause stuttering in some games, so I'm holding off until that is fixed.

EDIT: Oh, and now that I google I see that it has been fixed: https://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-releases-bug-fix-for-stuttering-game-performance-in-windows-11-22h2/

I went to Windows 11 in mid-December and it's working great! Only a couple things I have noticed:
    1. It is HARD to get used to the start menu not being in the lower-left.
    2. I have found that Windows Defender keeps flagging Qbittorrent as malware even though it's not.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    They relented on the start menu being centered, you can change it to the left in the options again

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Farewell, Windows 8.1. There was no reason not use you over 10 once I installed a third-party start menu.

jothki on
  • Options
    They relented on the start menu being centered, you can change it to the left in the options again

You've been able to do that since day 1 of Windows 11.

• Options
    oh, I remember people complaining that it was not optional at first, maybe I'm misremembering

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    There were a number of reasons to complain about the taskbar and start menu (some of which were/are very overblown, in my opinion). but moving it to the left has always been an option.

• Options
    oh, I remember people complaining that it was not optional at first, maybe I'm misremembering

Might be getting it mixed up with not being able to dock the taskbar vertically to the left, right, or along the top of the screen any more.