As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Retropolis

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin

Retropolis!

Penny Arcade - Comic - Retropolis

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

• Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    *Remembers the Commodore 64, the CollecoVision and the Atari*

*Waves cane angrily at Mike and Jerry*

• PALaxxPALaxx Registered User regular
    Reminds me of a joke on Futurama in a similar vein wherein Fry locks himself in a room to listen to Sir Mix-A-Lot and Leela says he can't hide and listen to Classical music all day.

• FireballDragonFireballDragon Registered User regular
    Get off my lawn.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Wife in an antique store: "Hey, look, it's a Ninja Turtle! You played with those, didn't you?"
    Me: "You were born closer to World War II than the present day."

And that's the story of how I'm sleeping in the car.

• BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    When I was a kid, me and my brother and sister found an Atari in my grandparents' closet that used to belong to our cousin. I remember we struggled mightily (for children) to get it to work (it turns out that, when a cable plug doesn't fit, you can't actually just tape it in place no matter how much you adjust it to try to touch), and eventually I think my grandfather got us some adapter we needed because I vaguely recall actually playing a few games with no idea what we were doing. I think one of the directions on the joystick was broken and wouldn't register, and if you think it would be impossible to play games with a one and a half axis controller you don't appreciate the stubbornness of bored children.

Then our parents got us a Nintendo (near the end of the original NES lifecycle), so Atari will eternally be the "antique" system for me. As compared to the NES and SNES, which are clearly the pinacle of gaming and will never get old, now a days kids are just spoiled and don't realize what real gaming is. Also they should get off my lawn.

Bremen on
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I think I already had this conversation in another subforum, but I think this strip is a good example of how certain terms like "Retro" and "Classic" get increasingly useless as time goes on. If you told me in the 90s that you loved classic rock, I'd know exactly what you meant. If you told me that now, I'd have to ask, "You mean like Led Zeppelin or like Green Day?" Same thing with retro games. "Retro? Or retro retro?"

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I like classical music like Jefferson Airplane and The Doors.

PALaxx wrote: »
    Reminds me of a joke on Futurama in a similar vein wherein Fry locks himself in a room to listen to Sir Mix-A-Lot and Leela says he can't hide and listen to Classical music all day.

I think they make the same joke with the Beastie Boys in Star Trek Beyond.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I never finished Spirit Tracks

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • OverkillengineOverkillengine Registered User regular
    *Remembers the Commodore 64, the CollecoVision and the Atari*

*Waves cane angrily at Mike and Jerry*

I'd wave my cane too, but I nearly put my back out today.

Damn kids. Get off my lawn.

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Hevach wrote: »
    Wife in an antique store: "Hey, look, it's a Ninja Turtle! You played with those, didn't you?"
    Me: "You were born closer to World War II than the present day."

And that's the story of how I'm sleeping in the car.

It's not as short and snappy, but I like to point out that Stranger Things is a lot like Happy Days. A show made in one period set in another nostalgic period decades earlier that seems like a long time ago.

Only the first season of Stranger Things came out in 2016 and was set in 1983, a difference of 33 years. Happy Days came out in 1974 and was set in 1955, a difference of 19 years. So it'd be more like Happy Days if Happy Days had came out in 1988.

dennis on
  • LttlefootLttlefoot Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    The jump from 2D to 3D feels most significant to me. If it came out after Descent (1995), it’s not retro

(PS, Descent came out closer to the moon landing than to the present day)

Lttlefoot on
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Lttlefoot wrote: »
    The jump from 2D to 3D feels most significant to me. If it came out after Descent (1995), it’s not retro

You're sleeping in the car tonight

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    V1m wrote: »

You're sleeping in the car tonight

The Matrix (1999) came out closer to the end of The Vietnam War than the present day.

YoungFrey on
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    This car's getting crowded.

This reminds me of that XKCD chart, which itself is now over a decade old:

oq4afhlgcmju.png

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    This car's getting crowded.

If it's a 3rd generation Honda Accord, it was released closer to WW2 than today

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Ok all you fuckers have a good night I'm moving to the tool shed.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Ok all you fuckers have a good night I'm moving to the tool shed.

The blacksmith tongs in there were invented closer to the start of the universe than today
    According to Jewish myth, anyway - the story goes that, as you need tongs before making anything, including tongs, the very first tongs were made by God, just before he rested on the seventh day of Creation

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Emperor MegamanEmperor Megaman Registered User regular

I Dunno, ealry 3d games feels retro to me. The way different system, franchise and company handled the switch is historical events at this point.
    I think it stops being retro once it stabilize to a point where the difference between two generations is "this one have photo-realistic graphics" to "this one has photo-more realistic" graphics".
    playing a current-gen game is functionally the same as a ps360 game, but better (excluding individual games quirks).

On a side note, the 1st Penny Arcade strip released closer to Original Dungeon & Dragon than the present day.

• GasquatchGasquatch Registered User new member
    The arbitrary dividing line for me between "retro games" and "modern games that just happen to be old" is HD. Before HD = retro. After HD = modern, even if old.