As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The little crystal turtle [Pokémon] is pretty cute.

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I use Levincia. There’s the big roundabout. Ten steps from the pokecenter there are food carts that sell egg power, and another 5 steps from a spot you can set up picnic.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Do raids only use the best move against you?

I never noticed it before cinderace but running a slowbro every one of cinderace moves except for acrobatics is resisted. and I did a dozen runs that only ever attacked me with that

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    It's not always the same script-- I think there are Pokemon out there that will always try to hit you with Thunder Wave if you aren't paralyzed, for instance-- but yes, high-level raids have comparatively smart AI that will find the best move to hit you with.

It's no Slowbro cheese strat, but I considered trying to find a 'mon that's only vulnerable to Fighting (of Cinderace's types) and giving it Protect, just to knock the crash damage off of Cinderace for free every other turn.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    FYI if understand correctly transporting Pokémon from Bank to Home will no longer be available by the end of March.

I finally bothered to capture Tapu Bulu, Guzzlord, and Necrozma from Sun and sent them and a bunch of Pokémon from Alpha Sapphire forward. Now I'm in the middle of looking for the cool of Ultra Sun I bought forever ago so I can hastily play through it and get the Ultra Beasts exclusive to it.

Then after that I guess I can finally finish the DLC areas in Sword.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    FYI if understand correctly transporting Pokémon from Bank to Home will no longer be available by the end of March.

I finally bothered to capture Tapu Bulu, Guzzlord, and Necrozma from Sun and sent them and a bunch of Pokémon from Alpha Sapphire forward. Now I'm in the middle of looking for the cool of Ultra Sun I bought forever ago so I can hastily play through it and get the Ultra Beasts exclusive to it.

Then after that I guess I can finally finish the DLC areas in Sword.

No they have already said that after the shop goes down Bank will be free. So as long as you have Bank downloaded you can still use it and transfer to home or wherever

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2023

Game Data Library claims to be the biggest source of game sales in Japan. Not seeing anything negative about source with quick google. Data doesnt surprise me either really. Lots of really vocal detractors but pretty much everyone I know really loved S/V.

There is another tweet that states outselling animal crossing, pokemon B/W and G/S during first 8 weeks.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Oh, okay. Thanks for the
    Jubal77 wrote: »

Game Data Library claims to be the biggest source of game sales in Japan. Not seeing anything negative about source with quick google. Data doesnt surprise me either really. Lots of really vocal detractors but pretty much everyone I know really loved S/V.

There is another tweet that states outselling animal crossing, pokemon B/W and G/S during first 8 weeks.

The comments on that Tweet are so negative, I swear I don't get the hate that some people have for Scarlet and Violet. I've recently been replaying parts of Sun and Sword (the former I remember really liking while I was largely unimpressed by the latter) just for the Pokemon I missed and damn do they feel like a slog now compared to Scarlet.

I can't go back to constant random encounters in the grass and constrained environments; I just wanna climb cliffs and jump off mountains on the back of my Koraidon and glide to a group of unsuspecting Pokemon directly on the overworld that have no idea one of my other Pokemon is about to wipe them all out in seconds.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    At this point most of the hate is just people not liking the new stuff and by the next gen they'll pretend they always loved it. Everybody knows about the rough state of the game but it's really really good past those issues

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Now that I'm pretty far i gotta say one thing I don't get is these minigames before the gyms. The difficulty makes no sense at all. I know that these are games made with kids in mind but these minigames are made with an entirely different audience in mind than the rest of the game wrt difficulty.

Its just... bizzare. Some of them could actually be fun if they weren't targeted quite so low.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Now that I'm pretty far i gotta say one thing I don't get is these minigames before the gyms. The difficulty makes no sense at all. I know that these are games made with kids in mind but these minigames are made with an entirely different audience in mind than the rest of the game wrt difficulty.

Its just... bizzare. Some of them could actually be fun if they weren't targeted quite so low.

In the post-game you can rechallenge them, some with varying difficulty levels, and they are a lot more fun when they aren't so hilariously easy.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    At this point most of the hate is just people not liking the new stuff and by the next gen they'll pretend they always loved it. Everybody knows about the rough state of the game but it's really really good past those issues

Yeah, it's unfortunate because if you take away all the technical problems this is probably one of the best pokemon games they've done (it might still be with the technical problems but man some of them are frustrating).

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Sword is in the running for my least favorite of the more modern Pokémon games. Now that I've went back to it to try and finish the DLC areas my feelings have softened a bit, but it was a big letdown at the time to have a much worse story than Sun and to lose Mega Evolution for Dynamax. The Pokémon League setup that gen was fun, though.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Sword is in the running for my least favorite of the more modern Pokémon games. Now that I've went back to it to try and finish the DLC areas my feelings have softened a bit, but it was a big letdown at the time to have a much worse story than Sun and to lose Mega Evolution for Dynamax. The Pokémon League setup that gen was fun, though.

I've tried twice and still lost interest both times around the same point (ghost gym in shield, I dunno if it's the same type in sword since they did the weird "different gyms" thing). I would still like to go back and finish at some point but yeah, do not like those games. Hear the DLC is way better though.

Sun & Moon still my favorite games in the franchise (though Legends: Arceus and Scarlet/Violet are super close behind... Sun & Moon only really get the edge because they improved so much all at once + I absolutely love the story and setting.. Team Skull is my favorite team). It's a shame the story took a nosedive after gen 7, but it seems like they found their way again afterwards (story in Arceus and Scarlet/Violet are maybe some of the best stories they've ever done). Hopefully this isn't an "every other gen" thing cuz Gen 6 had a garbage story too (seriously still don't know what the hell they were thinking with Team Flare).

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Sun and Moon is definitely the ultimate evolution of the old style. Just fun all around. Best villain group. Beautiful 3ds game.

S/V is the best of the new current move in the franchise. Which isnt many games but the whole store/characters/etc put it up there with the top of old style too.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I found Sun/Moon to be a slog, but I liked Sword/Shield quite a bit.

• Options
    Taya wrote: »
    I found Sun/Moon to be a slog, but I liked Sword/Shield quite a bit.

This baffles me but I suppose everyone likes different things :P

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've found people tend to just be hit or miss with each generation. SuMo did some cool things I feel story wise and mixing up progression was something I found neat.

SV feels like it's a great stepping stone for the next generation. The game has flaws and is janky in places, but it does a lot right and I think it's a good game that fell short of being an all time great, you can see the potential in the design, so I can forgive the flaws personally and I want to see where they go from here.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

I've tried twice and still lost interest both times around the same point (ghost gym in shield, I dunno if it's the same type in sword since they did the weird "different gyms" thing). I would still like to go back and finish at some point but yeah, do not like those games. Hear the DLC is way better though.

Sun & Moon still my favorite games in the franchise (though Legends: Arceus and Scarlet/Violet are super close behind... Sun & Moon only really get the edge because they improved so much all at once + I absolutely love the story and setting.. Team Skull is my favorite team). It's a shame the story took a nosedive after gen 7, but it seems like they found their way again afterwards (story in Arceus and Scarlet/Violet are maybe some of the best stories they've ever done). Hopefully this isn't an "every other gen" thing cuz Gen 6 had a garbage story too (seriously still don't know what the hell they were thinking with Team Flare).

that's interesting, usually people say that about gen 5. gen 6 and 7's stories are very unpopular in general internet discourse.
    and lot's of people say that 9 has the best story of all

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Warlock82 wrote: »

that's interesting, usually people say that about gen 5. gen 6 and 7's stories are very unpopular in general internet discourse.
    and lot's of people say that 9 has the best story of all

Is it gen 7 in general, or just USUM? Cuz those stories definitely suffered compared to the original Sun & Moon (though having actually finally played them last year it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought.. I actually quite liked the Rainbow Rocket storyline in fact). But I dunno, I know there are definitely people who prefer the older style of pokemon game/story where Sun & Moon and beyond sort of moved away from some of that. And I do think I've heard several people who just flat out don't like Sun & Moon, for whatever reason. *shrug*

All that said, gen 5 is really great. I only played it for the first time about a year ago but I loved the hell out of it. Definitely understand the love for that one (I still need to play through B&W2 at some point though). And yeah, gen 9 has an awesome story - probably the best of any Pokemon game? (Legends Arceus was super good too, it's debatable which of the two is better to me).

Gen 6 was a mess and I so hope the S&V DLC can salvage the lore from that thing with some Kalos DLC :P I still wonder, having watched the X, Y & Z anime episodes if the story presented there was closer to what a hypothetical Pokemon Z would have been. Because somehow that story was a million times better than the games themselves (and honestly a lot of it had to do with Zygarde's involvement).

Edit: Honestly, best rubric I've found for how much I enjoy a Pokemon game is how close I've come to completing the Pokedex (at least the regional dex). Sun & Moon was the first time I'd done it since maybe Silver. I also did it for Black (jesus that was hard... thank you rando homebrew DS networks and your makeshift GTS!), Legends: Arceus, and now Scarlet and Violet. I did technically do it for Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee, but honestly Pokemon Go was a bit of a cheat there :P Will say Let's Go Pikachu (which I rented from Gamefly after my Legends Arceus hype was at an all time high) did get me way more into that game and I did it largely legit that time (I don't think I ever did the trade evos, that's about it). BDSP I guess you could say I completed the Shining Pearl pokedex? :P I also technically "have" all the Pokemon in Home thanks to lots of GTS trading so I have my fancy Magearna, but I wouldn't count that personally... if you just trade for everything did *you* really complete the pokedex? :3 At a minimum I sure as heck don't count the Sw&Sh DLC legendaries because I totally just traded a Vivillon for them or something. Oh, and I also think I completed the regional dex of Y way after the fact (again, Arceus hype train was strong) but I'm preeeeetty sure all the X exclusives I traded for were like 99% hacked :P Was funny to learn that I literally didn't know Zygarde was actually in that game until last year (seriously, somehow I NEVER found him or the Looker post-game questline).

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Unsolicited Pokémon bad guy rankings:

1)
    Prof. Sada/Prof. Turo.
    q0n1cnbi396l.jpg
    This is made even better because we really only even know about them from the benevolent and malevolent sides of their AI, who is a character of their own (though I imagine the evil AI Professor and the Paradise Protection Protocol are closer to their true selves, it's possible they were manipulated by the mysterious "disc" Pokémon). The only downside is that coupled with Arven's connection to the Professor I can't help but be feel like it's a bit derivative of Lusamine and Lillie. That said, the final fight where the Paradise Protection Protocol disables your Pokeballs and sics the killer 'raidon that killed the original Professor on you and your friends, presumably to slaughter everyone while they were defenseless, was insane.

2) Lusamine/Nihilego
    5f42l2ugnjq3.png
    Essentially having a Pokémon (and not even a unique Pokémon) being the villain was an interesting choice. Lusamine, Lillie, Gladion, and the "missing" Dad who is totally the caretaker at Poké Pelago were a happy family until an Ultra Wormhole took Dad away and injected Lusamine with a toxin that made her obsessed with the Ultra Beast (to the point of forcing Lillie to cosplay as a Nihilego gijinka). I'm subtracting points, though, because you never actually got to fight Lusamine/Nihilego directly...or capture them in a Beast Ball. I'm also just a bit curious if a subtle drug metaphor was intended here, as Lusamine seems to really, really like Nihilego's "neurotoxin" to the point that it drove her kids away.
    xcz0fmvbxegq.jpg

3) Lysandre
    a7k79qtyiv05.png

My controversial pick! Lysandre is essentially terrified of Malthusian collapse and believes it to be inevitable (while also implying that there are parts of the Pokémon world we never see that get pretty grim). I think the thing that sells him for me is that he believes Pokémon are too dangerous for a peaceful world, but is saddened by this realization. The plot of the game claims that Mega Evolution is only possible if a trainer and Pokémon have a strong enough bond, so Lysandre and his Mega Gyarados make for a tragic pair. I'm also influenced by Shauna telling him after his defeat that she thinks people would be better off sharing "even if there's not much left" as opposed to his own plan.

Special mention to not actual bad guys Guzma and
    Penny
    . The latter especially amuses me because you spend so much time with their main storyline stopping what is at worst a bunch of delinquents only for it to turn out they also committed an actually pretty serious crime
    stealing League Points and then laundering them through you; plus she was apparently planning to drain Nemona's family's bank accounts before settling on the League Point plan instead.

Worse Villain: Chairman Rose. Why was he doing this again? Did he even have underlings besides the woman with Gigantamax Garbodor? How come we didn't get to interact with the runaway Dynamax plot at all?

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Rose and all of Galar was robbed. I’m sure on the cutting room floor there was enough stuff to at least make it a mid-tier setting.

That battle theme of his is very Dark Souls, which begs the question what was the music producer told was going to happen and why didn’t it? Shame.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Rose and all of Galar was robbed. I’m sure on the cutting room floor there was enough stuff to at least make it a mid-tier setting.

That battle theme of his is very Dark Souls, which begs the question what was the music producer told was going to happen and why didn’t it? Shame.

I completely forgot you even fought him.

I remember so much of X and Sun, but next to nothing about Sword other than that I wish you could get clothes like what I set up for my trainer in Scarler and not just be stuck in a school uniform forever.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Honestly, Rose is just an Elon Musk kinda dude who nearly blows up the entire region out of spite because someone told him to maybe wait a couple days until we can actually talk about your Genius Plan That Is Totally Going to Save The Future Because I'm The Smartest Man Alive.

He's not exactly a good villain, by any measure, the whole thing is basic as hell and SnS is really at its best when it's a sports anime, but he's better than the likes of, like, Giovanni.

I do think that in terms of proper villainy, though, SuMo Lusamine slays this. I'm so annoyed they seemed to want to sort of soften her later. Let the abusive psychopath be an abusive psychopath on her own!

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Yeah, I've heard they walked her back in Ultra and really didn't care for that. She was pretty well written already already anyways.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Everything they changed about Lusamine in USUM made her less sympathetic to me, because she's doing everything fully consciously. And I seem to recall her still having those Slowpoke taxidermies!

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Would anybody be willing to trade me their Koraidon for keeps? I have a shiny Mareep, shiny Skiddo, authentic Polteageist, three-segment Dudunsparce that I can offer, as well as any other Violet exclusives.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Would anybody be willing to trade me their Koraidon for keeps? I have a shiny Mareep, shiny Skiddo, authentic Polteageist, three-segment Dudunsparce that I can offer, as well as any other Violet exclusives.

Why don't you just catch the second Legendary and trade it?

• Options
    Terrendos wrote: »

Uh, what?

• Options

Unless I can transfer my rideable Miraidon to Pokémon Home for my living dex which I highly doubt will be possible, I’ll need the second one.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Uh, what?

You can find a second one of the Legendary Pokemon from your game (Koraidon for Scarlet/Miraidon for Violet) in the postgame, that you fight and can catch. You can trade it to someone else so you can get both Legendaries.

Unless I can transfer my rideable Miraidon to Pokémon Home for my living dex which I highly doubt will be possible, I’ll need the second one.

Oh, yeah, I see how that could be a problem. Might have to replay the game to get another one if you can't get someone else to trade.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    https://youtu.be/ylj0FcPjAAo

TLDW: basically it's been datamined that Toedscool and Toedscruel's internal names suggest they may have originally been alternate versions of Magikarp and Gyarados. Which sounds cool to me and I wanna see that happen in dlc.

He makes up a concept of what he thinks they could be and complains that Magikarp is too hard to adapt outside the water which I think look kinda stupid. I'm like, dude, flying type (I know Gyarados already is flying type but I mean, maybe it's the one trait both species retained from their ancestors :P). Fins become wings, scales become feathers. Gyarados ends up looking more like Quetzalcoatl. You have your convergent evolution versions, birds vs fish.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Rewatching the beginning of the last Area Zero fight and noticed something interesting.
    It looks like all that happens unless you pause at certain points is that the message changes from "You are challenged by AI Sada" to "You are challenged by the Paradise Protection Protocol". What you don't see without pausing is that, between these while the message is glitching out is "AI Sada has no intention of fighting anymore!"

I'm not ashamed to admit I was so into the endgame story that I was making so many clips on my Switch to the point that I started counting to 30 to make sure I could save a new one without missing anything and was deleting clips I had from other games to make room, so now I pretty much have the finale of Pokémon Scarlet saved on my Switch in a few dozen clips and am rewatching it now.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Man, I'm decent at online Singles but Tera Raids confuse the hell out of me.

I just got out of one where it was my Armarouge and three Slowbros that looked like they were just endlessly spamming Iron Defense and Nasty Plot, but never attacked.

• Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    3 iron defense+3 nasty plots and a stored power is one of the best ways to defeat the cinderace event, tricky to pull off though, cause if one of em dies or gets their stats wiped before doing the stored power it goes from basically a one shot to totally useless.

• Options
    Yeah, basically you max out SpAtk and Def, use one Cheer to boost either set of stats, and then Stored Power. Basically 1HKOs Cinderace. I used that Slowbro this weekend to catch my own Cinderace, took a couple tries solo but it worked in the end.

I didn't get the Ability Patch though, I thought that was guaranteed. I really want a Hidden Ability Alomomola for a competitive team (Wish + Regenerator = *chef's kiss*) and haven't been able to find one anywhere. Feels pretty lame to spend such a precious commodity on something so un-sexy but I don't know what else to do.

• Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    Next 7 star is poison tera Greninja. Protean should be doable, if it's got battlebond though that could get nuts quick. Boosts atk, sp. atk, and speed everytime it knocks out someone

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Kanden wrote: »
    Next 7 star is poison tera Greninja. Protean should be doable, if it's got battlebond though that could get nuts quick. Boosts atk, sp. atk, and speed everytime it knocks out someone

I doubt it has Battle bond. I'd be surprised if that's even allowed in once home support is added

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited January 2023

Battle Bond only works once per battle.

I doubt it has Battle bond. I'd be surprised if that's even allowed in once home support is added

No, they specifically nerfed Battle Bond and removed Ash Greninja. Now it’s just a better Moxie that only works once.

I was stoked for this until I remembered that Battle Bond Greninjas can’t breed.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython