As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Deadly Creatures for the Wii (looks good!)

Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
edited March 2009 in Games and Technology
So, judging from the trailer, it looks like a God of War kind of action game, except you play a Scoripion and take on bigger animals that want to eat you? AWESOME.

Badly Compressed Youtube trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT_B69F8USY

Some Screenshots not badly compressed at IGN:
1315_bss_01.jpg
1315_bss_02.jpg
1315_bss_03.jpg
deadly-creatures-20080214083736545_640w.jpg
deadly-creatures-20080214083735451_640w.jpg[/QUOTE]

IGNese preview\press release:
February 14, 2008 - Publisher THQ on Thursday announced Deadly Creatures, an original game developed exclusively for Wii by proven software house Rainbow Studios. The game thrusts players into the roles of both an armored scorpion and a stealthy tarantula as they battle through a desert wasteland in a fight for survival. The unlikely duo will face off against Gila monsters, lizards, tarantula wasps, black widows and, worst of all, man.

"Deadly Creatures is an amazingly innovative game concept, and exemplifies THQ's commitment to creating original new IP for the Nintendo Wii platform," said Randy Shoemaker, director of global brand management, THQ. "With Deadly Creatures, we are raising the bar for all third-party Wii titles, and focusing on deep, compelling gameplay for a largely untapped audience of Wii gamers."

"Deadly Creatures is a creepy, cinematic thrill ride, where the distinction between predator and prey can shift around every corner," said Nick Wlodyka, executive producer and general manager, Rainbow Studios. "With brutal motion-controlled combat, a dark compelling story and some of the best visuals to date on the Wii, we are excited to bring Deadly Creatures to a large core Wii audience that hungers for a new experience."

At first glance, Deadly Creatures would appear to be a 3D fighter, but according to the title's lead designer, Jordan Itkowitz, who spoke to us for clarification, there's much more to the game than initially meets the eye. "The game offers a mix of combat and platforming-based exploration using the main characters' unique attacks and abilities," he said.

Rainbow Studios is making full use of the Wii remote with the project. Explains Itkowitz: "One of the main reasons we wanted to do Deadly Creatures for the Wii was the un-missable opportunity to let players emulate these characters by acting out their attacks and abilities with the Wii controls. Every input option is being used -- it's a fluid mix of gestures, IR-pointer functions, and some more conventional controls."

How big is the scope of these battles? Pretty big. "If you get down to these creatures' perspectives, their lives -- and the lives of their prey, rivals and enemies -- are short and brutal," said Itkowitz. "We've all flipped to a nature channel and been fascinated by clips of insects locked in combat, but we wanted to elevate those clashes to the level of a monster movie. Think about the immense battles in King Kong or Jurassic Park - the scale may be smaller here, but the impact is the same."

Deadly Creatures will not feature an online mode, as Rainbow Studios wanted to focus on the local single-player adventure. But there is more to be revealed as the game draws closer to release. "There are plenty of unique elements to this game that we're excited to share in the coming months: a dark, sinister storyline, a fascinating sense of scale and discovery, vertigo-inducing camerawork, and more," said Itkowitz.

Here's an official excerpt from THQ's description of the game: "A world of danger and discovery: Infiltrate the gloomy, thorn-filled labyrinth of the Brambles, home to gangs of wolf spiders and vicious black widows. Battle scavenging rats in the trash-filled Wasteland, where an old abandoned truck towers above you like a fortress. Scale cliff walls, cacti and rusting subterranean pipes, all to reach your final, most dangerous destination: a creepy old gas station on a lonely desert road."

http://wii.ign.com/articles/852/852222p1.html

Dareth Ram on

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Spiders make me shit myself.

I still want this tho.

Magic Pink on
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Huh, this definitely looks interesting. I'll have to at least give it a rent.

Hylianbunny on
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    shocking to see, graphically, some thorough effort put forth.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oh fuckin hell - if they don't mess it up, this is day one...... :D

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The concept is awesome.

Couscous on
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Magic Pink wrote: »

I still want this tho.

Yeah, I hate spiders, scorpions, etc. I'll probably have nightmares after each game session, but damn if that just doesn't look cool.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Looks interesting.

Sonork on
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I still want this tho.

I hate spiders as well. The worst are those fucking sprinters! Holy shit, how are they so fast.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Fuck Spiders. I cant buy this if it has spiders.

I stopped playing RE:make because of the spiders.

The_Scarab on
    edited February 2008
    How about if you become the spider?

Arde on

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
    edited February 2008
    Arde wrote: »
    How about if you become the spider?

It doesn't work. In a way, that's even worse.

Magic Pink on
    edited February 2008
    I'm guessing you don't like Kafka-esque role playing?

Arde on

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
    edited February 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Fuck Spiders. I cant buy this if it has spiders.

I stopped playing RE:make because of the spiders.

RE:make's spiders were lame. They never moved from the spot they were in in my game so I just blew them away. And they only showed up once.

Original RE spiders had me sitting in puddle of my own filth tho. When they first dropped off the ceiling in the billiards room I jumped up and slammed off the Playstation. I lost about an hour and a half of play and I was happy to do it.

Magic Pink on
    edited February 2008

I don't like spiders. Kafka doesn't enter into it.

Unless Kafka is a spider. I'm guessing not tho.

Magic Pink on
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So are they wisecracking buddies? Or is one the loose cannon while the other is the do-it-by the book one? I have to know.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Or if you use a copy of Metamorphosis to squash spiders in your home.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Vert1Vert1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    REminds me of Eternal Darkness where you control those exploding scorpion creatures aka trappers.

Vert1 on
    blood_berry_new.jpg
    Sleep wrote: »
    Vert1 wrote: »
    I'd like to ask everyone here one question. What is a game?

A lower form of sex.
    edited February 2008
    Gyral wrote: »

Or if you use a copy of Metamorphosis to squash spiders in your home.

Oh, I never kill them. I support everything they do. I'm very pro-spider.

I just never want to see them.
    So are they wisecracking buddies? Or is one the loose cannon while the other is the do-it-by the book one? I have to know.
    This needs to happen.

Magic Pink on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oh shit. Spiders = bad. I won't be able to play it :( I'm that terrified of spiders.

urahonky on
  • Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I still want this tho.

This looks really interesting. If it's any good, I'll definitely check it out. It might help me get over my fear of arachnids [not likely], maybe. I really like how the ultimate goal is to reach a gas station in the desert. Such a journey would be really epic for something the size of a spider.

I'll probably try to play as the scorpion more, though. They still scare me, but spiders creep me out waaay more.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Concept looks cool; but IMO it'd be cooler if when you beat the bigger "boss" bug/animal you become that animal for the next stage, working your way up the chain.

Kind of like EVO minus all the awesome evolution aspects.

Damnit, WTB EVO remake.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited February 2008
    Concept looks cool; but IMO it'd be cooler if when you beat the bigger "boss" bug/animal you become that animal for the next stage, working your way up the chain.

Kind of like EVO minus all the awesome evolution aspects.

Damnit, WTB EVO remake.

I was so confused by EVO when I was a kid, but man... You just made me want to play it over again. :(

urahonky on
  • SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Heir wrote: »
    Yeah, I hate spiders, scorpions, etc. I'll probably have nightmares after each game session, but damn if that just doesn't look cool.

Guessing you never played Doom 3 either.

I, for one, love having the pants scared off me and this is a definite rent, even though I'm not technically frightened of bugs.

Actually this game reminds me of A Bug's Life on N64. And who can say no to nostalgia?

Silvoculous on
  • MashalotMashalot Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    WOw. Weird. I like bugs I guess. I still don't really get the gameplay.

I'm interested.

Mashalot on
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If there weren't other bugs around, spiders wouldn't be there, so I'm cool with the eight-legged fellows. I'm generally cool with things I'm able to kill.

GungHo on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This game has a fantastic idea behind it, and I hope they manage to pull it off. The Wii needs more good third party games anyways. Its nice to see at least that the developers have actually put some effort into the graphics so its likely not just a quick cash in on the Wii userbase like so much schlock that hits store shelves.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    a dark compelling story

a dark, sinister storyline

lol wut? You're a goddamn scorpion.

Cervetus on
    edited February 2008
    Did anyone play Mister Mosquito?

Vert1 on
    blood_berry_new.jpg

A lower form of sex.
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I have a severely arachnophobiac friend that i've already pre-ordered this for. This is going to be the best prank gift ever.

Though, I gotta wonder if there's going to be any sort of story to it, though.

Archonex on
  • Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Cervetus wrote: »
    a dark compelling story

The final boss will be an alien spider from Alpha Centauri, deposited here by the Roswell Greys to subvert our environment and terraform [xenoform?] our planet. :P

EDIT: Or maybe it's an undead arachnid invasion. But seriously, it's probably just a "survival of the fittest" scenario, which can be pretty dark...

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • MashalotMashalot Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Cervetus wrote: »
    a dark compelling story

The final boss will be an alien spider from Alpha Centauri, deposited here by the Roswell Greys to subvert our environment and terraform [xenoform?] our planet. :P

EDIT: Or maybe it's an undead arachnid invasion. But seriously, it's probably just a "survival of the fittest" scenario, which can be pretty dark...
    Yeah. I laughed a little when I read that bit in the press release.

Mashalot on
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    titmouse wrote: »
    The concept is awesome.
    I agree with this statement.
    It's too bad there's about a 90% chance the actual game will suck, though.

JihadJesus on
  • Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited February 2008
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    The concept is awesome.
    I dunno. I don't usually judge a book by it's cover., but it's obvious this isn't the quick cash in game that we're used to.

Dareth Ram on
    edited February 2008
    They should make it an insect version of Clock Tower.

Vert1 on
    blood_berry_new.jpg

A lower form of sex.
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    The concept is awesome.
    I dunno. I don't usually judge a book by it's cover., but it's obvious this isn't the quick cash in game that we're used to.
    I don't even think it'll necessarily suck out of a lack of effort. But it's a Wii game with an unusual concept made by a publisher well known for shitty liscensed cash ins and little else - even if they really try I'm not going to believe it until I see it myself.

Still, that's a scorpion exploring the ribcage of a human skeleton searching for prey. How could you NOT be interested in that?

JihadJesus on
    edited February 2008
    They should make it an insect version of Clock Tower.

That would totally make me poop boy.

As for spider fear, Doom3 won't do it. It has to be an actual, real spider, not something with spider-like qualities. It's very very specific for a phobia.

Magic Pink on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ha, this kind of reminds me of Butterfly Garden, coming out too for the Wii (Ware). Both games look good, too!

Alfred J. Kwak on
    edited February 2008
    Ha, this kind of reminds me of Buttefly Garden, coming out too for the Wii (Ware). Both games look good, too!

Oh Jesus! Seeing that spider on that page hurt me so badly!

urahonky on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This thread is also oddly lacking two of the best screenshots yet:

deadly-creatures-20080214083736545_640w.jpg

deadly-creatures-20080214083735451_640w.jpg

Alfred J. Kwak on
    edited February 2008
    Fuck. You!

urahonky on