As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Nadir, Scorchlands & You can Do!mino out today!

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Subset Games is doing an AMA on reddit.

the big takeaway (for me, anyway) is that they have a number of protoypes in the works, but aren't sure which (if any) will be the next thing.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    i mean it's just listing the good isometric rpgs instead of the bad ones. it might as well say "an isometric rpg inspired by the genre of isometric rpgs"

hell yeah

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JSLatNypjDg
    eruVbmZl.png

we're gonna make the next Realms Of Arkania: Blade Of Destiny Revised and nobody is gonna stop us

Brolo on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Found another mod for Cyberpunk that adds holographic looking arrows to the world to lead you to your location kinda like in Forza, except more cyberpunky. You can have them on for both driving and walk, or whichever and then just turn off the useless minimap altogether. Makes sense to me since you have a robot eye.

Makes driving to much better though you still have to deal with the vehicle handling and breaking being weird, even after official patches. Still, at least you don't have to be driving while trying to decipher where the minimap is telling you to go.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    i mean it's just listing the good isometric rpgs instead of the bad ones. it might as well say "an isometric rpg inspired by the genre of isometric rpgs"

hell yeah

eruVbmZl.png

we're gonna make the next Realms Of Arkania: Blade Of Destiny Revised and nobody is gonna stop us

https://store.steampowered.com/app/288860/Realms_of_Arkania_Star_Trail/

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Ori and the Will of the Wisps was kinda weird to me. It was extremely pretty and enjoyable enough while playing it, but the combat/skills/equipping stuff felt pretty clunky to me, and a lot of movement felt very floaty, I guess? Like, the game was almost too freeform in movement capabilities (with the right upgrades), which led to occasional semi-sequence-breaks or doing tough tricks but a lot of times where it just felt like there wasn't really an intended path through the level.

Still a very, very good game but it almost felt like a step back from the previous game in some ways, not that Blind Forest didn't have a few odd choices (you have three skill trees and you can complete maybe one of them without extremely tedious grinding in a game not focused on combat? Why?)

I actually disagree on the feel. It's a YMMV thing but I truly feel like Will of the Wisps supplants Blind Forest in pretty much every way, save for the fact that it does have its own worthwhile story to play through.

No hurry on buying, though, you can get it pretty cheap on a sale or on Game Pass.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Whoops.

McHoger on
  • Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7Tdy1d6ZMMI

98ic4r65twr3.jpg

6niitwd1lqup.jpg
    Sovereign Syndicate is an isometric steampunk RPG inspired by games like Baldurs Gate, Disco Elysium, Arcanum and Divinity Original Sin. The game is currently in development by Crimson Herring Studios, a Canadian developer based out of Edmonton, Alberta.

https://www.pcgamer.com/sovereign-syndicate-is-shaping-up-to-be-steampunk-disco-elysium/

looks like it has some potential, but those are some big boots to fill

so this is to disco elysium what arcanum was to planescape?

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I'm trying to figure out how to qualify the relationship between Arcanum and Planescape, and I will admit to coming up very short. I guess they're both isometric RPGs that place a premium on words?

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    Sekiro
    returned to the castle
    - defeated a chained ogre. Got very irritated at the various grabs and at getting caught on the geometry of the room.
    - defeated some random assassin dude who seemed surprised I killed him
    - met Lone Shadow Masanaga who had a whole speech for me that I mostly missed on account of wolves and not expecting him to be there. I think he called me a demon and is angry because I defeated Lone Shadow Longswordsman. I can tell I'll be spending a fair amount of time fussing with this one.

- since I'm running out of ideas: there's a "surgeon" in the abandoned dungeon who wants a person for experimentation. I've tried using divine abduction and the puppeteer power, but neither seem to work (or I'm doing it wrong). I'd like a nudge in the right direction, please.

Sekiro surgeon
    You need to sacrifice one of the NPC's to the doctor. you may not be able to do this if you've advanced their quest past a certain point

Specific NPC
    it can be either the Samurai who hears the shamisen or the large monk who wanted the pinwheel. you won't be seeing whomever you send again.

I think there's a way to get the reward in the little cell beyond the surgeon without killing anyone, and it's not like a great reward as far as I remember.
    oh, ok. I got into the cell a while back (there's a path in the water) so I'm glad I didn't have to sacrifice anyone. Thanks!

Sekiro surgeon quest:
    I think the item in the cell is different from the reward for sending someone to him?

You get prosthetic upgrade materials if you send an NPC to him.

You can use that spot that you need to give to in order to eavesdrop after delivering a test subject.

Surgeon quest, ending rewards:
    If you complete the surgeon quest, you get a unique version of the Red Lump items (the ones that make you immune to staggering but turn off your resurrection). And by unique, I mean it's literally just a special version of it, having an identical effect. Both narratively and in terms of in-game rewards (which are still similarly weak), I prefer the ending to either of the other quests you can terminate by turning them in to the surgeon. I think the Memorial Mob even winds up calling you out for being a bastard if you go with the surgeon.

All this to say you don't really need to finish that side-quest, and you might actually prefer not to.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Some more CK3 stuff:
    ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false
    So this is obviously a part 2 to the Iberia stuff before. If you can't tell I just ended the Iberian struggle. The ending I got was the 'Status Quo' ending: basically it's the powers of Iberia agreeing to permanently stop any claim to being the rightful rulers of Iberia. It makes all the major powers in Iberia become empire rank characters, and minor independent (duke level) characters become kingdom rank. As a quick aside: if you're wondering why Badajoz and Galicia have such weird borders, it's because the ruler of Badajoz was actually a vassal rebelling against the Galician king at the time I took the decision. I didn't realize the decision would have this effect when I clicked but it counted the rebelling vassal as a defacto independent ruler and thus forced a white peace while making the vassal a dejure king in their own right. Anyways, while any one of these newly consolidated realms could still go on to conquer the entire peninsula, they'd no longer be able to claim any dejure empire spanning all of Iberia. You might be able to tell-if you look closely at the alliances my character has made-that this wasn't the ending I was originally going for.

I was instead going for the Detente ending: to summarize this ending implies that the native peoples of Iberia-be they Christian, Jewish, or Muslim-agree to a general policy of cooperation and tolerance to one another in the interest of preserving local independence from foreign influence: be that secular or religiously motivated. In game this means disabling most of the cross-religious restrictions within the peninsula, and making all cultures and independent dynasties get hefty permanent opinion bonuses with each other. To do this requires an alliance with every other independent ruler while in a phase of conciliation. I almost achieved this, allying 7 of the 8 realms I needed to, but just couldn't get the last alliance I needed: Castille. The weird border in my north was the result of me trying to literally conquer all their land instead, since that would no longer make them an non-allied independent ruler. Unfortunately, I couldn't finish taking their land before the period of concilliation ended. If I wanted to try again I'd probably have to wait 50+ years to get another phase of concilliation, so I decided to settle for a status quo ending instead. Below is an outline of the religions of the peninsula:
    While I did end up converting the heartland of Iberian Islam, it still survives in pockets in the east and west. Even Mozarbic, the concillatory christian denomination of the people of Al-Andalus who didn't convert to Islam but instead lived alongside new and old muslim converts, managed to stick around with a few independent rulers. Catholic dominates in the north... but you might notice that Galicia isn't catholic. A nice if unintended side-effect of my attempt at regional concilliation was a marriage with the Galician queen when ended up getting my dynasty on the throne when she sadly died young in childbirth. If I continue this campaign I'll probably clean up my borders in Iberia, get the total dejure territory of my new empire title (basically what I have now plus a bit more of southern Portugal+the Balearic islands) and then start expanding into North Africa and the Mediterranean to get my remaining holy sites plus try and go for that one achievement that requires ten cultures be culturally accepted. Oh, and if you're wondering what happened to that super Bulgarian-faux-Byzantine-Kingdom?
    So like suggested was probably gonna happen before, Bulgaria got divided in twain when the old king died leaving it split between two sons. What happened afterward... I'm not sure. Bulgaria itself completely collapsed at some point-I think due to large uprising by his northern Romanian vassals,and the independent king of Greece managed to consolidate most of the old Bulgarian kings balkan lands, while an upstart greek dynasty managed to destroy the younger son's realm and then consolidate most of Anatolia in its own right. This has all been amazingly plausible from a history standpoint: A particularly competent Bulgarian king steps in and basically takes over a totally collapsed Byzantine Empire, only for his sons infighting to lead to his new aspiring empire to almost immediately begin to collapse and two regional Greek hegemons, one brand new and one a few generations old, to seek to take the old Byzantine mantle back.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    A Plague Tale: Innocence Update.

So, so, so many rats. Yet somehow less annoying than the human opponents in this game. I'm getting good with the sling though, and while the baby brother isn't on the same level as Elizabeth in BioShock, he ain't bad either.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    I beat White March part 1! Now to beat part 2, and finally having run out of excuses, kill all of the dragons. Then finish the game.

edit: I had a really cool moment in that game actually beating it.
    So generally if you look at guides and what not they say Wizards aren't top tier damage dealers. They're better for buffs and crowd control.

However I ignored all that and (while I do bring some of those spells) set my guy up as a nuker. Since I'm only on normal, he still feels op. However he's super super super squishy.
    So squishy that I went down instantly in the last fight when a great big thing got way too close.

I had my priest res me, and while I was down my party members had, during the course of the fight, made a protective circle around my unconscious body due to the fighting.
    So when I was ressed, I started casting point blank enemy only aoes that ignores a large chunk of damage resistance, and annihilated the entire enemy force surrounding us in three spell casts.
    It was a very anime moment, all the side characters fighting to resurrect the protagonist who will then blows all the bad guys away and wins the battle.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    McHoger wrote: »

hell yeah

eruVbmZl.png

Wow, I had no idea they were still making Arkania games.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: »
    DRG's Lunar New Year event is starting this Thursday.

In a few of the recent events they've been adding items you can find during a mission that will increase your season-pass-xp if you collect it; beer mug for Octoberfest, elf decoration for Xmas.

I love that the in-lore explanation for this is that the delivery company is just incompetent, and is crashing their shipment into the planet instead of delivering it to the space rig. So in the preview for the LNY event, they explain:
    Finally, Management made another order of decorative items, this time rabbit statues. It is still being delivered by Longbeard Freight which has managed to crash their delivery into Hoxxes twice now…but that will surely not happen a third time.
    In the highly unlikely scenario that it does, Management is again willing to reward double season XP for any retrieved statues. But it’s a moot point; no one would be incompetent enough to crash their delivery into the same planet three times in a row.

MOAR DOUBLE XP

MORE WEAPON SKINS FOR MY GUNS

Honestly, DRG's devs going with "yeah this is all free, if you want to support us buy the cosmetic bundle that comes out with each season" works wonders.

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    What game is that even referencing?

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    McHoger wrote: »

hell yeah

eruVbmZl.png

Wow, I had no idea they were still making Arkania games.

These were remakes of the originals. I've heard the Star Trail remake was actually a bit better but it doesn't seem to have done well enough to merit remaking the third game.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Midnight Suns endgame spoilers
    Oh thank god you don't have a friendship level with Banner. I was willing to do the grinding for everyone else (thank you Havens) but Hulk would have been too much.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Atrio: The Dark Wild apparently finally released 1.0 and I missed it.

anyway it's super cool go buy it

my picker pals are dumb as turds tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdz83FL8OUU

• Options
    JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    I like the frogs.

So kind of a tower defense city-builder centered on a top-down action hero character? Could be fun. Would play through Game Pass.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygc7JOIAFdo
    Theseus Protocol is a deck building roguelike where rebirth offers strategic opportunity. Utilize a powerful suite of cards and weaponry to uncover the cruel truth behind the dystopian sci-fi world of Mark City.
    20230117 Theseus Protocol (Roguelike Deckbuilder Card Game Card Battler)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UPMQbm8WkQ
    Create and run your own TV show! An isometric management game where you craft scripts, populate your world with characters and cast actors to play them. Hire and manage staff, develop your studio and gain a dedicated following.
    20230117 Showrunner (Simulation Strategy Management Singleplayer )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0PWDDb6DUA
    Scrap Games is a 3D side-scrolling beat'em up game with a simple gameplay system that offers many possibilities. Choose your robot character, upgrade it and go through the next stages by defeating your enemies. Prepare yourself and let the fight begin!!! Beat them up!!!
    20230117 Scrap Games (Robots Sci-fi Casual Indie Funny Arcade)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njF-9qjGw_4
    Earth, 1976. You have been tasked with managing a deep-sea science facility working to perfect cloning. Explore the darkness and keep your crew alive in this hardcore survival colony builder. And beware. The darkness hides untold horrors.
    20230117 Surviving the Abyss (Early Access Exploration Time Management 3)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PXgtJaafkc
    Terraform, strategize, and construct a Martian colony in this retro-inspired turn-based city builder. Create a comfortable living for your citizens, research alien artifacts, and uncover the secrets of the Red Planet
    20230117 Farlanders (City Builder Colony Sim Turn-Based Strategy 2D)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipuM_lu0sw0
    A roguelike deck-building game where you craft a deck, spark talents, discover runes, and assemble your team with partners' cards! Play unique stories for every character and explore a world caught in the clash of gods.
    20230116 Indies' Lies (Strategy Roguelike Deckbuilder Card Battler 2D)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CMhc-vzJq0
    Build the new future of Europe! Flip, renovate, repair and rebuild places destroyed during World War 2. Get to know the history and stories of civilians. Play an immersive building simulator with grappling storytelling.
    20230116 WW2 Rebuilder (Simulation World War II Design & Illustration )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b31XuuahQRA
    It's the zombie apocalypse, but you can't miss a work day! Scavenge for weapons, survive... and don't forget to restock the toner cartridges over at accounting. This humorous top-down shooter has you working your way up the corporate ladder, all the way to the rescue helicopter on the rooftop.
    20230113 Zombie Admin (Top-Down Shooter Local Co-Op Local Multiplaye)

• Options
    if they don't quit with the roguelike deckbuilders i'ma have to do something drastic

• Options
    zombie admin my life fr

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    if they don't quit with the roguelike deckbuilders i'ma have to do something drastic
    Like what? Start playing 'em?

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Like what? Start playing 'em?

i was thinking molotovs actually

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    So WWII Simulator is a cross between FO4 building, a construction game, and Powerwash Simulator? I'm not sure exactly how many hours I would lose to it but I'm pretty sure it would be a lot.

• Options
    A duck! wrote: »
    So WWII Simulator is a cross between FO4 building, a construction game, and Powerwash Simulator? I'm not sure exactly how many hours I would lose to it but I'm pretty sure it would be a lot.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1573280/WW2_Rebuilder/

there's a demo, in case you want to see what you're getting into

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Undies Lies

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Undies Lies

"we can support your entire caked up dump truck ass! Honest"

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Don't dead
    Open inside

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    As part of my plan to play through (almost all) of the AC series, I've just finished Black Flag.

I managed to fully upgrade my jackdaw, clear every collectible, every side mission, every assassination, the legendary ships, everything.

I started playing Thursday night.

I think this was my favourite of the "old" AC games.

Anyway, the timeline of what I'm playing through:
    pysw5cd1la3x.png

Next up is Rogue

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    You've got a little bit of a rough period ahead

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    As part of my plan to play through (almost all) of the AC series, I've just finished Black Flag.

I managed to fully upgrade my jackdaw, clear every collectible, every side mission, every assassination, the legendary ships, everything.

pysw5cd1la3x.png

Next up is Rogue

I loved black flag so much. The ship parts of the game were so good.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Man, if only Ubisoft would make a game that was just the sailing from Black Flag

Oh well, that'll probably never happen

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Man, if only Ubisoft would make a game that was just the sailing from Black Flag

Oh well, that'll probably never happen

1dyiqnskpebo.png

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    You've got a little bit of a rough period ahead

Rogue's comparatively slight but has its charms. Unity is boring and has a lousy story, but its Paris is still lovely. I had a good enough time with Syndicate.

It's definitely the choppiest stretch, but Unity's the only real stinker

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »

pysw5cd1la3x.png

Next up is Rogue

I'm not seeing Origins. Should be between Syndicate and Odyssey.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I remember really liking the ezio games

How do they hold up in 2023?

• Options
    I loved Unity but after all the patches and I played with a friend so it was a blast. Paris was so pretty in that dang ol game

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    oXCA9ae.jpg

This discussion has been closed.