As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pride and Prejudice and Goncharov [Movies]

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The Menu fits much more neatly into the Thriller category I would say. There’s a little gore but there isn’t really jump scares or anything.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Yeah I wouldn't describe it as a horror, but honestly I'd suggest putting that kind of discussion in spoilers.

It's just the kind of movie that's really best enjoyed knowing as little as possible.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I enjoyed the menu, but I don’t think it stuck the landing as well as I would have liked.

The skewering of foodie culture and high end restaurants is spot on though.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    I enjoyed the menu, but I don’t think it stuck the landing as well as I would have liked.

The skewering of foodie culture and high end restaurants is spot on though.

I also appreciate the extent to which the movie just absolutely hates rich people.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Someone here mentioned a good horror movie on Shudder and I cannot remember what it was?

Something about like a 45 minute chase scene

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Someone here mentioned a good horror movie on Shudder and I cannot remember what it was?

Something about like a 45 minute chase scene

Sick, on Peacock

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Sick is awesome and VERY tense.

Highly recommend it

• Options
    I saw a movie on Freevee called Astonishing Tales of Terror: Rocktapussy! and you just know I’ll be watching that soon

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Between Glass Onion and The Menu, it's been a good couple months for movies that absolutely loathe rich people

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    Between Glass Onion and The Menu, it's been a good couple months for movies that absolutely loathe rich people

pretty sure Triangle of Sadness also fits into this, still need to watch it, though

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

it's funny to me that Knives Out and Ready or Not struck very similar vibes back in 2019

• Options
    Then you can watch The Hunt and have no fucking idea what the message is supposed to be because it goes both wildly and right

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    asofyeun wrote: »

pretty sure Triangle of Sadness also fits into this, still need to watch it, though

it does. Some really great performances too.

• Options
    Freevee ads are so much worse than Tubi ads

• Options
    I can’t watch a movie on Freevee.

Commercials cut in in just completely random places and they’re like 5 minutes long. I watched a half hour of a movie on there and had 3 commercial breaks already.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    They really are just totally fucking randomly placed. I was watching something the other day and it literally kept cutting to commercial mid-sentence.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I still need to watch Ready Or Not. Is it streaming anywhere?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I still need to watch Ready Or Not. Is it streaming anywhere?

According to JustWatch

lsihmt59n9kc.jpeg

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    April Criterion releases:

The Fisher King 4K
    The Seventh Seal 4K
    Triangle of Sadness
    Small Axe: Five Films by Steve McQueen (Mangrove, Lovers Rock, Red White And Blue, Alex Wheatle and Education)

Triangle of Sadness is my main recommendation obv, but Seventh Seal is also incredible and if you haven't gotten that before that's definitely worthwhile too. I've been real interested in seeing the Small Axe films, this might win me over

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Bought the Ingmar Bergman box last year during one of the criterion sales already, damnit

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular

This is so strange. Imagining a Rainbow Six movie with John Wick choreography. Anyway, Without Remorse was one of the worst movies I saw the year it came out!

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

This is so strange. Imagining a Rainbow Six movie with John Wick choreography. Anyway, Without Remorse was one of the worst movies I saw the year it came out!

Oof. Not a fan of making a Tom Clancy wetworks op look slick. That's gonna be a powerful recruitment tool.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Yeah I was way into the Rainbow Six novel as a teen, to the point where I was seriously considering joining the military to try and become a sniper and all that.

Luckily I avoided that particular bad decision, but a well done movie version of that could definitely turn a lot of impressionable heads.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    The machine must have bodies

• Options
    Finished the Great Spider-Man Movie Project, watching Venom 2 and No Way Home.

The former wasn't quite as good as the first, but was still a messy, weird bit of fun. It's just so nice to see a modern superhero flick that has a distinct voice/tone, that's doing its own weird thing. God bless em.

No Way Home mostly worked for me, on balance. The way into the premise was brutally, painfully stupid, but once they got over that turd hurdle and started bringing in folks from other universes, there was a lot of fun to be had. I can't BELIEVE the Garfield/MJ thing worked for me, I was astonished that they got me with that shit.

Very telling that the only time the Holland Spider-Man movies worked for me was "the part when it directly and literally pulled from other, better movies," I think. Absolutely insane that it took them three fucking movies and literal magic spells to get to where a Spider-Man movie usually starts, but fuckin', at least they got there I guess

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the Garfield/MJ moment was legitimately one of the only times I got a little choked up over a damn MCU movie. It was a good bit, and all that stuff with the three of them worked pretty well, even if it was dependent on your nostalgia (or at least fondness) for other, better Spider-Man franchises.

It’s a shame most of the rest of the movie was… not great.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    It is wild to me how much I enjoyed Andrew Garfield in No Way Home, especially when I think his Spider-Man movies are absolute disasters. I think he’s just a good actor!

I still think Homecoming works, even if it’s coming at it from the wrong direction the fundamental message of Spider-Man choosing to stay local and help the little guys who get overlooked by the bigger superheroes is a good one. Also the bad student news segments are great

But really the Venom movies are where it’s at these days, windows into a world where the 2000’s never ended, beautifully weird and idiosyncratic and feel like they were made immediately after Blade 2, I hope they keep making those forever

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Finished the Great Spider-Man Movie Project, watching Venom 2 and No Way Home.

The former wasn't quite as good as the first, but was still a messy, weird bit of fun. It's just so nice to see a modern superhero flick that has a distinct voice/tone, that's doing its own weird thing. God bless em.

No Way Home mostly worked for me, on balance. The way into the premise was brutally, painfully stupid, but once they got over that turd hurdle and started bringing in folks from other universes, there was a lot of fun to be had. I can't BELIEVE the Garfield/MJ thing worked for me, I was astonished that they got me with that shit.

Very telling that the only time the Holland Spider-Man movies worked for me was "the part when it directly and literally pulled from other, better movies," I think. Absolutely insane that it took them three fucking movies and literal magic spells to get to where a Spider-Man movie usually starts, but fuckin', at least they got there I guess

it's very funny to me that this Spider-man trilogy ends with the start of what everyone wanted in the first place. and also it's criminal that he finally has believably homemade suit and we see it for two seconds

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Skinamarink comes to Shudder next month and I really hope more people here watch it. Among the more divisive, difficult (in terms of experimental, not in terms of extreme, content) watches; happy to see it succeeding so far

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular

Oof. Not a fan of making a Tom Clancy wetworks op look slick. That's gonna be a powerful recruitment tool.

Don't worry, the military ALWAYS has it's most important recruitment tool: Poverty! As long as someone is poor, or about to go to Jail, the military will have the grist for it's mill.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Jokerman wrote: »

Don't worry, the military ALWAYS has it's most important recruitment tool: Poverty! As long as someone is poor, or about to go to Jail, the military will have the grist for it's mill.
    It's why school will never be free in the US.

sig.gif
  • Options
    So the Revival theater in Atlanta was playing The Shining in 40mm so of course

7qo951qxbo83.jpg
    So Mrs TheJokerman and I ended up watching The Predator!
    ujz92jf6zv2y.jpg
    (I've already seen the shining in 40mm so it's not on the bucket list for me)

BUT HOLY FUCK IS PREDATOR FUN IN A THEATER!

My favorite parts were some very excited woman wolfwhistling at all the low crawling and then Mrs. TheJokerman hearing "I ain't got time to bleed" for the first time. Also, great movie because it features two future Governors. Love that bit of Predator trivia.

Random pictures of The Plaza, possibly my favorite place on earth.
    9kiffewbb1mw.jpg
    3upmqbbfaxbl.jpg
    5v93zobcgtlo.jpg
    xdguq1xzd4xo.jpg
    r8tpotcyh2vf.jpg
    ni42v0ejgz1i.jpg

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023

A lot of movies are recruitment tools so I don't think one more is a huge dealbreaker, especially since it's probably tied in to the Amazon series with Jordan in both. Top Gun Maverick was just one of the biggest movies of last year. Kind of too late to put the toothpaste back in the tube on that.

Rainbow Six was my favorite book in high school before realizing how jingoistic all of Clancy's books are. I wonder what it would be like to reread them.

Magell on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The Plaza is one of the few things I really miss from Atlanta

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Skinamarink comes to Shudder next month and I really hope more people here watch it. Among the more divisive, difficult (in terms of experimental, not in terms of extreme, content) watches; happy to see it succeeding so far

I don't think I could handle it, but the poster is great:

00m4zb4hl0tk.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

This underpins a statistic that I think is very interesting/telling but that not a lot of people know: Native Americans are the most overrepresented ethnic group in the US military. Grim!

• Options
    You know I’m going to watch Skinamarink.

• Options

This underpins a statistic that I think is very interesting/telling but that not a lot of people know: Native Americans are the most overrepresented ethnic group in the US military. Grim!

I went from not personally knowing any Native Americans to working and living with three once I enlisted, so that definitely pans out.

• Options
    M3GAN 2.0 confirmed for release January 17 2025

Allison Williams and Violet McGraw returning as cast, writer Akela Cooper and producer James Wan also returning

Very excited for this one

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    M3GAN2

Now there are two M3GANs

Then you open the door for M3DGAN

Dex Dynamo on
This discussion has been closed.