As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

🖥️🎮 - Nadir, Scorchlands & You can Do!mino out today!

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Fig-D wrote: »
    I had a lot of fun playing Dead Space 3 in co-op. The team designed a decent shooter and the co-op element can instantly elevate a game from okay to great with a good partner. Some of the things they *tried* to do were interesting, with the second player experiencing slightly different scenes because that character had yet to be exposed to the Marker. Good idea! Unfortunately they don't do a whole lot with it and the game's core combat loop of "fight these humanoid dudes with guns and now fight these necromorphed humanoid dudes with different guns" feels creatively bankrupt.

Also I think the DLC continued the story and served as the game's new ending, but it didn't come out on PC (on Origin) until much later? Something like that. I remember being kinda miffed and we didn't go back to play it.

The DLC is, without exaggeration, the best part of the game. If you enjoyed the co-op campaign, you should definitely give it a shot.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I had a lot of fun playing Dead Space 3 in co-op. The team designed a decent shooter and the co-op element can instantly elevate a game from okay to great with a good partner. Some of the things they *tried* to do were interesting, with the second player experiencing slightly different scenes because that character had yet to be exposed to the Marker. Good idea! Unfortunately they don't do a whole lot with it and the game's core combat loop of "fight these humanoid dudes with guns and now fight these necromorphed humanoid dudes with different guns" feels creatively bankrupt.

Also I think the DLC continued the story and served as the game's new ending, but it didn't come out on PC (on Origin) until much later? Something like that. I remember being kinda miffed and we didn't go back to play it.

The DLC is, without exaggeration, the best part of the game. If you enjoyed the co-op campaign, you should definitely give it a shot.

the villain is the moon, which rules

it does not make up for everything else bad about the game though

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    More games definitely need to use the moon as the primary antagonist.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

I could beat up a fuckin moon

JtgVX0H.png
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    The moon’s a real son of a bitch who deserves it

minor incident on
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

I could beat up a fuckin moon

That's what Chewbacca thought, too

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EWZZlnPY01I

Sadly the Twitter account was suspended.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    The moon’s a real son of a bitch who deserves it

It drewww first bluuud

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

That's actually the end of the main game. The DLC creates the situation where
    you can honestly believe your co-op partner has turned on you and you'll have to kill them to survive.

you can honestly believe your co-op partner has turned on you and you'll have to kill them to survive.

So what you’re saying is that man is the real moon.

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    So last month I forced myself to take a break from Project Zomboid, and started playing a seldom-discussed game called Elden Ring. I'm surprised at how little hype it got, it seems pretty wild!

Anyway, I needed to take a break from being repeatedly punched in the junk, so to take a breather from Elden Ring, I starred playing....Project Zomboid. Well, that didn't last long. Anyway I crammed in a ton of town mods, vehicles, and other QoL mods and have been having a good go at it. One problem: I cannot for the life of me find a friggin sewing needle! I've got 4 sledgehammers, antique ovens, generators, a ton of ammo (haven't even hit the big armories yet), but nobody in Grapeseed, Rosewood, or Ekron has ever needed to replace a button apparently. I've gotten a ton of skill ups and raw materials just tearing up old clothes, but none of that is worth a damn without a needle.

I've even gotten trolled by finding empty sewing kits, or the time I found one with knitting needles. You cant even knit in the game, what the hell. Absolutely insane.

Also one of the mods added motorcycles, which are extremely agile, insanely fast, and guaranteed will be how I die.

Edit:. Hooray for complaining, finally found a needle!

Elderlycrawfish on
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

s74fdxtxjrta.png

That moon fucked around and found out

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I know I played Dead Space 2, but the only part I remember is
    having to stick a needle in Isaac's eye.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »

I fucked that up the first time.

Put the controller down. Took a walk.

Fucking hell.

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod

In that case you should definitely try the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV, which has a free trial, and includes the entirety of A Realm Reborn AND the award-winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 with no restrictions on playtime. Sign up, and enjoy Eorzea today!

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »

I have vivid memories of that and the fucking school.

I spend minutes outside that school before even going in, thinking "fuck me I'm going to hate what's in there so much".
    I was right.

Also The Return. What a masterclass of tension that chapter was.

In fact fuck it, gonna let someone better with words handle speaking my thoughts about Dead Space 2.
    https://youtu.be/EG8kRH4lDn0

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    also, ds3 turned ellie from a competent hardened survivor, into an air-headed prize for isaac and New Male Ellie Boyfriend to compete over and it is extremely bad

it's even worse than pip is saying

just open mouth what in the actual horribad

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVllvJn1_Kk
    Fraymakers is the ultimate customizable platform fighting game, featuring a cast of some of indie gaming's biggest icons. Duke it out with up to 4 players and call on assists to help out in the heat of battle. Create and play custom characters, stages, modes, and more for infinite fun!
    20230118 Fraymakers (Indie Fighting 2D Fighter Multiplayer Action)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtyTN_Ma9xE
    A refreshing and highly re-playable bullet hell style shooter that WANTS you to play dangerously! Ride the razor's edge of life and death in this high-risk high-reward danger oriented arcade style shooting game.
    20230118 Graze Counter GM (Action Shoot 'Em Up Bullet Hell Anime Casual)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL2Q4-4NxrQ
    Definitely Not Fried Chicken is a business management sim with a Twist! Grow your drugs trade through legitimate fronts by managing both sides of the business. Acquire new businesses, meet new clientele, Develop more potent narcotics, make lots of money and leave a city in ruin!
    20230118 Definitely Not Fried Chicken (Early Access Simulation Management Sandbox )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLyqfwAS_uU
    As an adaptation of the popular suspecse TV series, Cat's Cradle, this game combines investigation, solving puzzles and reasoning with original stories, which can build a more Immersive experience. Game will build new stories based on original setting and focus on the inner world of the character.
    20230118 The Bad Kids (Adventure Indie Puzzle Psychological Horror )

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Got some questions about that last one

Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Got some questions about that last one

it's based off of a chinese horror movie/streaming series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X0zYbf1pYQ
    【The Bad Kids】is trending on iQiyi with multiple subtitles. Watch more episodes for FREE & ONLY on iQiyi App or Website: www.iq.com!
    App: http://bit.ly/iqapp6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIyKZ4YoBKE
    Written at the end
    This is our first time to challenge a game adapted from TV series. In fact, up to now, our hearts are still full of anxiety. Our experience and strength will be seriously challenged, because "Cat's Cradle" has a high popularity and influence in China. Worry and anxiety constantly haunt our team.
    We spent nearly a year to watch novels and TV series intensively, investigated all the analysis and comments on the network, and finally determined our ction after countless iterations of the scheme. We will divide the game into 5 chapters: The preface, Chapter 1-mom, Chapter 2-dad, Chapter 3-friends and Final chapter. Through these 5 chapters, we want to express the family relations, family affection, education and friendship of teenagers in reality, which may make a realistic resonance with players. We hope to offer players not only the story atmosphere an entertainment of gameplay, but also some deep thoughts about the harm of original family during the growth of teenagers.

Hope you can like and support our game. Also hope to get your suggestions and feedback in the community.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2071200/The_Bad_Kids/

the title of the series seems to fluctuate between "the bad kids" and "cats cradle", probably based on how directly you're translating

might be something there for asian horror fans? but it's probably a better experience if you can speak/read mandarin

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Started Disco Elysium after having it in my account for awhile. The game has informed me that my copotype is Sorry Cop. Seems right!

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I haven't gotten far enough into Disco to get a copotype at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIsDSUPnEbw
    Soon, you can experience the lives of Howard, Clarissa, Renee and Eli. Tails: The Backbone Preludes, is available on February 2nd 2023.

this looks neat, but

well

it's probably not going to answer any of the questions i had about the end of backbone, huh

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I'm down for more grim bafflement.

Huh, the next adventure from the Tales Of The Neon Sea devs is... very furry. And a quantifiable level of hornt (smoldering, give or take) in the promo screenshots.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1689080/Mercury_Abbey/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2eu8D_FGws
    In a mansion surrounded by mist, as the curse made by the Alchemist and Fairy reappears, the danger is quietly lurking in the darkness, awaiting its visitors.Follow Harrod and Willie to unravel an incredible story in Mercury Abbey, and go on an adventure that you would only find in mystery novels

15tzgxedigkq.jpg

edited January 2023
    Brolo wrote: »
    Soon, you can experience the lives of Howard, Clarissa, Renee and Eli. Tails: The Backbone Preludes, is available on February 2nd 2023.

this looks neat, but

well

it's probably not going to answer any of the questions i had about the end of backbone, huh

The swerves that game took in how it presented narrative, and how it switched up the player's means of interacting with it, were SO interesting. They didn't FULLY work for me, but I appreciated the swings.

I guess I'm most curious what the structure of a prequel would be, what it will look like to interact with. Backbone was one of those, "I don't care as much about plot as about how the story was delivered" games for me. Is this gonna continue their experiments with interactive storytelling using some familiar faces? Or is it going to be a standard point-and-click adventure like how Backbone was before it got weird?

I'm curious, at any rate.

Poorochondriac on

s74fdxtxjrta.png
    Brolo wrote: »

this looks neat, but

well

The swerves that game took in how it presented narrative, and how it switched up the player's means of interacting with it, were SO interesting. They didn't FULLY work for me, but I appreciated the swings.

I guess I'm most curious what the structure of a prequel would be, what it will look like to interact with. Backbone was one of those, "I don't care as much about plot as about how the story was delivered" games for me. Is this gonna continue their experiments with interactive storytelling using some familiar faces? Or is it going to be a standard point-and-click adventure like how Backbone was before it got weird?

I'm curious, at any rate.
    I don't know that for sure, but it's a solid "I reckon" based on playing Backbone and hearing from the press release that Tails is a "narrative adventure with branching choices, focused on an intertwined series of vignettes about change, circumstance, and consequence". Of course, the choices can't be that branching, since Backbone already exists - but there's always a chance that Eggnut go all wild card and let you create a separate timeline, like what they did for the new Star Trek movies. Tails is going to have some puzzles and different interactions, so it's not just a philosophy lecture. It also comes with a "branching tree interface" tracking the choices you make, which is the sort of concession to conventional playability I didn't think Eggnut would be bothered with.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/weirdo-raccoon-detective-game-backbone-is-getting-a-prequel

yeah they've given a few little details away about it so far, but I'll probably just play through it on release to see where they're taking it

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    https://blog.playstation.com/2023/01/18/returnal-launches-on-pc-february-15/
    Returnal drops on Steam next month, it has a bunch of doodads and bells and whistles too:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=OKZV00Esu54

DLSS, FSR, ray-traced shadows and reflections, full DualSense haptics and adaptive trigger support as well which is nice

Crippl3 on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I watched a bunch of Returnal when it came out and probably won't play it, but I have to say the music and sound design in that game are immaculate.

edited January 2023
    I'm down for a mouse&keyboard bullet hell game. Not for full price though, 50 quid is mighty steep.

[edit] This is assuming the KBAM controls are half decent, which is a toss up these days.

Glal on
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Backbone was a real weird case where I don't know how much was intentionally messing with player interaction vs. how much was running out of ideas and ways to polish the ideas they had together.

Like, even before the big stuff that obviously changed how the game played, it felt more like they just couldn't come up with anything interesting to add in as a puzzle like they had in the first area than that you were being shuffled towards a less free, lower interaction situation.

I ate an engineer
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Great, this thread definitely needed another DNF acronym.

steam_sig.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Returnal is a cool game.

As someone that's pretty bad at shooters with controller, I think it'll benefit from mouse and keyboard controls.

Although it does have very generous auto-aim (on PS5, at least).

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Ducks
    need
    Fucks

Balance on roguelites is so weird and particular

Loved Hades, saw end credits, had a blast running the same areas over and over

Returnal, though. Felt to me too intense, like I had to maintain too sharp a focus for too long a stretch, and the permanent unlocks felt too underpowered and too spread out, and I couldn't jive with the gameplay loop for any more than, like, three days. It was too demoralizing to start fresh.

Thinking on it more, I wonder how much of my Hades appreciation was impacted by the downtime also being fun. Like, when I died, the sting was ameliorated by the idea of new conversations with my cool weird friends, or the possibility of a cool new treat back at base. With Returnal, dying meant... Running out of the door in the starting area and getting back to the grind.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Returnal was one of my favorite games last year and I'm very glad that people that don't own a ps5 will have a chance to play it

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

Returnal, though. Felt to me too intense, like I had to maintain too sharp a focus for too long a stretch, and the permanent unlocks felt too underpowered and too spread out, and I couldn't jive with the gameplay loop for any more than, like, three days. It was too demoralizing to start fresh.

Thinking on it more, I wonder how much of my Hades appreciation was impacted by the downtime also being fun. Like, when I died, the sting was ameliorated by the idea of new conversations with my cool weird friends, or the possibility of a cool new treat back at base. With Returnal, dying meant... Running out of the door in the starting area and getting back to the grind.

Yeah, I've heard a lot about Returnal's difficulty and it's made me hesitant to try it out

But everything I've heard about Returnal's story is so cool and I want to see it!

Didn't they add a lower difficulty mode or the ability to save in an update or something?

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular

A thing that hades does that other roguelikes need to pick the fuck up on is weaving a narrative into the experience. A rewarding narrative. Not just window dressing like into the breach. Because you hit the nail on the head: the downtime is fun. Trying to decide which person to drop your gifts on is rewarding. Seeing Zagreus being a catty little dick to all of the bosses is great. The continued development based on winning and losing the fights is amazing!

Hades did so much right and whenever I see a new roguelike and it like, obfuscates what the items do or just has zero plot or interesting character interactions, I feel like I'm going from an SNES to an ATARI 2600 in terms of design philosophy.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
This discussion has been closed.