As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Nintendo] thread, starring Seth Rogan as Donkey Kong

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Early thoughts on FE Engage: I do not care about this story so far

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Not to give you advice too late Eebs but Engage has basically the best reviews of all Fire Emblem games except for the part where it has several straight 5-6/10s for "great gameplay marred by the story being dogshit and cutting the 3H social stuff" so there is that

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    I've already bought it, but: are we talking FE Fates: Conquest levels of bad story here?

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    The main character’s design is literally enough to keep me away from the new Fire Emblem

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    The main character’s design is literally enough to keep me away from the new Fire Emblem

I can deal with it but it is very, very bad.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    sarukun wrote: »

I can deal with it but it is very, very bad.

It's just that awful hair color choice. It's so bad. I don't know what they were thinking. Just do a solid Marth blue.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Not to give you advice too late Eebs but Engage has basically the best reviews of all Fire Emblem games except for the part where it has several straight 5-6/10s for "great gameplay marred by the story being dogshit and cutting the 3H social stuff" so there is that

Even the positive reviews don't have great things to say about the story.

• Options
    I've already bought it, but: are we talking FE Fates: Conquest levels of bad story here?

I don't really think it's bad in that way, it's more that it's... not really a story at all?

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Yeah I mean, much as I gelled with say, Advance Wars, I'm not here for the strategy

I'm here to make two animes kiss and have been since the DS

This sounds like a "wait until no other games are on sale or in my backlog" game but uh in the year of our lord 2023 I don't see that coming for a hot minute

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Conquest was a bad story told incompetently this seems more like a basic story told competently thats supposed to be more in line with the old fe games

also the mcs design is good actually

simulacrum on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »

I don't really think it's bad in that way, it's more that it's... not really a story at all?

find your soulmate, homer collect the 12 maguffins, aleer

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Early thoughts on FE Engage: I do not care about this story so far

Which is weird because the advertising made it a point to bill it as Colgate-chan's status as being a divine dragon, which is supposed to be some extremely rare occurrence or whatever. But then it sounds like they don't really do a whole lot with it once you're in the actual game.

• Options
    look, there is also a support conversation where two characters are having a weirdly strained conversation until it's revealed that they're doing strength training while drinking tea by using weighted tea cups

so they've got that part worked out, at least

• Options
    I am not having a great time with the new Fire Emblem

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying it but am quickly leaning towards skipping some of the base stuff.
    I don't need the strength boost bad enough to want to do these push ups over and over.
    Ring rubbing is probably next on the skip list. Or at least not regularly.

Also, I'd rather they took the time to have better/more friendship skits instead of making 6 different weird finding you sleeping skits for every character.
    Although I will say one of them did get a good laugh out of me.
    As Alfred ponders how best to wake you up he considers putting candy in your mouth.

But liking the battles.

• Options
    the most joy I've experienced in Fire Emblem Engage is this arena fight

and the fight where I accidentally left my archer open to attack from a boss, and then she dodged the first attack and crit on her return strike, killing him

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Shows how much I've been keeping up with Fire Emblem - that doesn't look anything like I have been picturing the battle sequences to go.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Shows how much I've been keeping up with Fire Emblem - that doesn't look anything like I have been picturing the battle sequences to go.

It's an Arena fight, which has characters attack until one loses and so has a lot more back and forth than the usual 1-1 attack phase. Add in a ton of misses and it gets nearly cinematic.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    I recently did an arena fight with Boucheron, against Framme.

He had 37 HP, dealt 12 damage, with a hit chance of 55%.
    She had 24 HP, dealt 3+3 damage with 100% hit chance.

Boucheron hit with the initial swing, and I immediately thought: he's going to lose this fight. Sure enough...

• Options

It's an Arena fight, which has characters attack until one loses and so has a lot more back and forth than the usual 1-1 attack phase. Add in a ton of misses and it gets nearly cinematic.

Yeah, fights are generally...one person swings, the other person retaliates, maybe you get another shot if your character is fast enough. It can get more complicated than that, especially as you progress in the game, but the arena fights are: you select a unit you want to gain a bit of xp between missions, and the game selects an opponent from who you have available, and they fight until someone wins or...there's a threshold where it goes to a draw, which I found when it sent my healer up against another healer.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Yeah, fights are generally...one person swings, the other person retaliates, maybe you get another shot if your character is fast enough. It can get more complicated than that, especially as you progress in the game, but the arena fights are: you select a unit you want to gain a bit of xp between missions, and the game selects an opponent from who you have available, and they fight until someone wins or...there's a threshold where it goes to a draw, which I found when it sent my healer up against another healer.

Like the age of old when two Holy Paladins would start a duel with each other in World of Warcraft. Legend has it they're still fighting to this day.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Advance Wars just went up for pre-orders on a bunch of stores, including Best Buy, Gamestop, and Wal-Mart
    No date, still a placeholder of December 31st

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Just taking the laziest possible option every time.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Game Vouchers are back for the first time since 2019: https://www.nintendo.com/store/games/game-voucher-eligible/
    $99.98 gets you two vouchers you can use to buy any game from a big list of mostly first-party stuff, including pre-orders on Bayonetta Origins: Cereza & the Lost Demon and Kirby: Return to Dreamland Deluxe, and tons of other games like Fire Emblem Engage, Pokemon Scarlet/Violet, Splatoon 3, and more (basically every big first-party Switch game for the last 4 years)

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I'm playing Bioshock infinite on the switch so I'm going to call this appropriate. It's amazing how both prescient and kind of cowardly this game is at the same time when it comes to dealing with social issues. I won't rehash the conversation around Daisy that normally comes up but yeah she is nooooooot great.

But the game is very critical of capitalism and the way that christ-fascism arose from it in a way I wasn't fully aware of when the game was released. I love the way it discusses the intersection between industry, white supremacy, and classism.

What I don't love as much is the way that the revolution starts happening and some admittedly objectively bad things start to happening and because of that as the viewer I'm clearly supposed to be having my second thoughts through the eyes of Elizabeth regarding revolution.

"This is horrible. Nothing is worth this" she pouts and I just wanna scream "What the fuck are you talking about? When I got here they were having goddamn carnival where the prize was getting to stone an interracial couple to death! Fink works people to the point of torture and did you see the literal torture room?". It's really a time capsule of a time where it was agreed that oppression was bad and all but also the oppressed needed to be perfect or they were discarded.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    So - I aged another year yesterday and ended up with $30 in eShop Fun Moneys. My son has threatened to disown me if I were to buy Powerwash Sim (since we already have it on the Xbox Game Pass for free). Any anyone placed Dying Light on the Switch? It looks like a nice change of pace from the many roguelikes I end up playing, and seems to run well on the console by most reports. The only thing that I'm hesitant on is that it does seem to have some light crafting, and I'm not a huge fan of that.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    GHOST TRICK!!!

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Twitter just died so hi everyone

sig.gif
  • Options
    Holy shit finally GBA

sig.gif
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I'm a little surprised GB/GBC are in the basic tier of Nintendo Online. Kinda expected any new additions to be expansion pack only.

• Options
    FFFFFINALLY

sig.gif
  • Options
    THEY MADE IT LOOK GOOD

sig.gif
  • Options
    Feels like we've been hearing rumors about the Prime remasters since before the Switch launched, but they're finally here.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    The main Prime theme still gives me chills.

• Options
    TODAY

sig.gif
  • Options
    Super on board for more Layton.