As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Nadir, Scorchlands & You can Do!mino out today!

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    hmm...

that's going to bother me a bit, I guess.

owl's a dick, fuck that guy

my (minor) consternation is more from the presentation.
    The first act is pretty straightforward -- so much so, that I initially wondered if it was intended to be a relatively short game:
    - Wolf receives news that Kuro is alive and being held captive (this bit is murky)
    - Wolf exits the reservoir, sneaks and fights his way to the tower, and escapes with Kuro
    - Genichiro Ashina shows up and takes Kuro away, leaving Wolf down an arm and dying
    - Wolf is rescued and fitted with a prosthetic
    - Wolf is determined to rescue Kuro, and fights his way up the mountain path to Ashina Castle
    - Wolf defeats Genichiro Ashina in a rematch

And that's fine. That could be the game and I'd probably have been fine with it.

Here, Wolf is determined to return to Kuro's side and protect him. Wolf is either strictly obeying, or using as an excuse, the iron code.

If Wolf is strictly obeying the code, then he should side with Owl (who, at least ostensibly, outranks Kuro)
    If Wolf is just using the code as an excuse, then he should side with Kuro

And which it is feels like it should be baked into the narrative, not up to the player to decide at the tail end of act two. Springing a choice-with-consequences on the player in a game (apparently) otherwise devoid of real choices just feels a bit strange.
    the idea is that wolf is helping Kuro at this point not out of loyalty to the code, but because he's thought for himself and decided that it's the right thing to do. Owl tries to force him to betray his morals by invoking the code, and Wolf rejecting it is a major turning point in his chatacter, where his true beliefs crystallize. It's an inversion of earlier when there IS a false choice to reject the code, and leaving it up to the player just hammers it home more that you're making a conscious decision to choose a new path. You have the choice to do the wrong thing not because both options are valid but because it makes doing the right thing more meaningful

Fwiw rejecting the code is the only way to get the game's final act. If you side with Owl,
    you get a unique boss fight against Ema and Isshin, kill them both, then become so consumed with hate and bloodlust that you become the Shura Ema feared. You betray Owl in a cutscene anyway, kill him and take Kuro for yourself, then the credits roll and you get a cheevo for getting the bad ending

also, on top of this, there is more story beyond where you're at tamin, so keep exploring and murdering fools

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eak2G3VMZLc
    A Pirate's Tale is a pirate strategy game where players will rally their crew and prepare to set sail to become the greatest pirate in the Caribbean. Choose from 18 unique ship types and customize distinct features to ensure your formidable fleet is feared from afar. Sink ships and build your stash of stolen booty as you take on trading convoys in tactical turn-based naval battles and parley with infamous pirate legends. Tortuga: A Pirate's Tale is available now on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series S|X, and PC.
    20230120 Tortuga (Turn-Based Strategy Simulation Single Player Controller Support)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as3ynjymUao
    Here is the 5-year contract to get your son back. You must become the morse messenger during World War II. Deliver our encoded messages and lead Deutschland to victory!
    20230120 Encoded War (World War II Political Emotional Simulation Dark )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMXBMOoU3QI
    Head to a hike to the old mysterious valley and explore the hidden beauty of untouched nature. Explore many unique locations and buildings set to rot by humanity a long time ago.
    20230120 Hike Valley (Adventure Casual Walking Simulator Open World )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gZRMtN6yGE
    Avernus is a challenging action-adventure game set in an ancient, mysterious tomb of a dead god. Delve into its labyrinthine halls and protect its secrets from a malevolent pretender.
    20230120 Avernus (Indie Souls-like Singleplayer Action-Adventure )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N2eHC4KxLE
    The Multi-Medium is a visually unique 2D puzzle platform adventure in which you play as an interdimensional explorer lost in the multiverse. Travel to diverse worlds, each drawn or painted by hand in a different medium and style, in search of your place in the cosmos.
    20230120 The Multi-Medium (Adventure Hand-drawn Casual Stylized 2D )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZvTC1pPfjk
    Deep and innovative space survival simulation experience. Build your station, manage your crew and explore the harsh environment of Io, the innermost moon of Jupiter. Are you brave enough to survive?
    20230120 The Pioneers: Surviving Desolation (Early Access Top-Down Survival Managemen)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlIbdauhuU4
    A challenging boxing game with an emphasis on player skill that takes time and practice to master. Fight your way to the top through 3 different championships each featuring unique opponents.
    20230120 Punch A Bunch (Action Boxing Fighting Beat 'em up 3D Fighter )

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Lead Deutschland to victory huh

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

seems kinda like a Papers Please situation

I don't believe the player character is particularly willing to work for the deutschland government here

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    I would try every regional pizza style.

The one that intrigues me most is Chicago style. Because in the UK, deep dish is just a pizza on a really thick base. And that is the opposite of proper Chicago style.

WAIT THIS ISN'T THE BAD FOOD THREAD

FUCK IT THIS STAYS

Karl on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I guess it makes sense to include a character from a Smash-like in your crossover Smash-like.

I bought Command & Conquer Remastered on sale. I never played it back in the day, but I have to assume that the unit pathing is unchanged from the original. Because it seems quite bad.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    I would try every regional pizza style.

The one that intrigues me most is Chicago style. Because in the UK, deep dish is just a pizza on a really thick base. And that is the opposite of proper Chicago style.

think you got the wrong thread but actually Chicago style base is quite substantial and chewy often with corn meal and butter in it, it needs to hold all the toppings after all. usually cheese first then meat and sauce.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    I guess it makes sense to include a character from a Smash-like in your crossover Smash-like.

I bought Command & Conquer Remastered on sale. I never played it back in the day, but I have to assume that the unit pathing is unchanged from the original. Because it seems quite bad.

No it was not improved

Put it on easy. Tank rush

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I always did the stupidest turtley strats in C&C against the computer back in the day. Like I'd build up a bunch of resources, then send an MCV over to a corner near the enemy base, deploy it then build a line of Tesla towers from it to their base, so my buildings would destroy theirs.

Or one time on this map with a big square river or something I just built a bunch of those ships (Cruisers?) that fired artillery like 2 screens away and let them do them everything.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

yeah, it's really terrible

units can't effectively re-path after an obstacle crosses in front of them

and since you're usually directing groups of units that move at different speeds, they're constantly getting in front of each other

one interesting thing about it though is that if you know a map already you can actually "maphack" a little bit by seeing which units won't move into a position, since the pathfinder won't let you move your unit on top of an occupied space, even if whatever is blocking that space isn't visible to the unit/player

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »

No it was not improved

Put it on easy. Tank rush

After needing several attempts at what seemed like a fairly simply mission (GDI 7: "Destroy the Airstrip") easy mode does seem appealing.

Playing this old game, RTSes where the units automatically move in formation seems quite amazing.

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    fnbnmjb4kme8.png
    GOG.com are giving away Haven Park:
    https://www.gog.com/en/game/haven_park

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

I don't believe the player character is particularly willing to work for the deutschland government here

Which could be a pretty cool hook for a game.
    I guess we'll see.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited January 2023

Pretty good video talking about some behind the scenes of C&C with some info on pathfinding.

https://youtu.be/S-VAL7Epn3o

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

Yeah that looks like someone really enjoyed Papers Please and decided to do one themselves. I read that "lead Deutschland to victory!" the same way as "Glory to Arstotzka!"

Kind of feels different though when one is a made up country and one is a real country set during a very specific... event.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

Yeah that looks like someone really enjoyed Papers Please and decided to do one themselves. I read that "lead Deutschland to victory!" the same way as "Glory to Arstotzka!"

Kind of feels different though when one is a made up country and one is a real country set during a very specific... event.

Also the fantasy of a Nazi who's only a Nazi because worse Nazis are holding their kid hostage makes me... Itchy.

It is not a starting point that inspires confidence for material requiring a deft touch

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Factorio, a game that has been out for almost 7 years and never been on sale, is going up in price

• Options
    edited January 2023

Report: 343 Industries taken off Halo development, will oversee series

gamedeveloper.com/business/repor…

cripes

hope everyone there lands okay

Brolo on
  • Options

Report: Development on Marvel's Avengers is ending at Crystal Dynamics

been a hell of a friday

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Honestly thought they had a little more runway there, but not really surprising.

They never hit a point where they solved some of the fundamental problems with the game, but they still had to put out new content, and...ultimately it just never really came together into something sustainable. There were long stretches of time where they'd just be repeating the same in-game events, with big question marks as to when the next thing was coming out, and I think, honestly, that their biggest misstep was announcing their first new characters would be Hawkeye and...Hawkeye. They added Black Panther, which was good, but their next move was "a different Thor," and I guess they were also going to add She-Hulk before they settled on Winter Soldier?

I'd imagine it's easier to slightly rework existing gameplay and they pretty clearly had some budget cuts, but if you're making a game like this, you've got two moves to get people to sign up for more. One is to bring in fun new villains (which they didn't do), and the other is to bring in exciting new characters. There were plenty of hints that Doctor Strange and Captain Marvel were on the table and it just...never seemed like it happened. The whole project was a mess.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    feel like we had a good stretch for a few years that caused people to forget that this is the typical path for huge budget licensed games like this

anyway can't wait for hogwarts gamers!!!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Avengers had the "we are never going to make new enemy characters" problem that Destiny still has... but Destiny at least started with four extremely differentiated factions and added a 5th after the first year. Avengers has one and then some different guys added in their 1 year expansion. Unlike Destiny bosses, Avengers boss fights are also pretty unfun, since generally they're just damage spongy and the only really reactive part of the fight is accurately dodging certain moves.

Long story short, they at no point had a handle on making the game fun in the long term. One of the opening moves was making it dramatically LESS fun with the major XP gain nerf (which was transparently a ploy to sell XP boosters) which they never rolled back, even when shamed into removing the boosters. They made a bad game and the market punished them appropriately (for once).

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    it's kinda wild that SWTOR and LOTRO are still trucking along

• Options

NEW: Ubisoft CEO was supposed to attend an in person Q&A yesterday with the Paris studio where some devs have called for a strike later this month.

Sources tell Kotaku he cancelled at the last minute.

yves you absolute fucking coward

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    yeah I hadn't really thought about it, but for a long time "licensed media property game" was basically synonymous with shovelware. I guess we got away from that for a while didn't we?

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    While not all of the garbage licensed games fall into this category, I feel like a large amount of them were games made on a shoestring budget that had a hard deadline for when they needed to release in order to coincide with a movie coming out.

I'm sure that's still a thing, but I think a lot of the owners of large IPs have realized how big the market for games is and so we're getting better funded games with a more typical game development timeline that are allowed to be their own thing within the IP instead of just "X IP: The Movie: The Game".

edit: And while the Avengers game fits into the above category it had a whole host of problems that didn't really have anything to do with the IP.

H0b0man on
    FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    it's kinda wild that SWTOR and LOTRO are still trucking along

star trek online still gets content updates

fucking everquest still exists and gets expansions

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

cripes

Microsoft decided to axe a drip feed of campaign story DLC being overseen by Joseph Staten, one of the original architects of the Halo franchise.

Not sure how they have Halo Infinite be a games-as-service if you aren't giving anyone any regular content updates and outsourcing the multiplayer stuff to whatever studio they can lowball.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

cripes

Microsoft decided to axe a drip feed of campaign story DLC being overseen by Joseph Staten, one of the original architects of the Halo franchise.

Not sure how they have Halo Infinite be a games-as-service if you aren't giving anyone any regular content updates and outsourcing the multiplayer stuff to whatever studio they can lowball.

the line must always go up

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    That's more or less the current Destiny model.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular

NEW: Ubisoft CEO was supposed to attend an in person Q&A yesterday with the Paris studio where some devs have called for a strike later this month.

Sources tell Kotaku he cancelled at the last minute.

yves you absolute fucking coward

This feels like it was ripped right out of a shitty power dynamic seminar CEO's go to. "Let them know you're open to meeting, then cancel last minute to show then whose in charge. Reschedule 5 more times before actually meeting them."

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • Options
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/Od2szAvNVxc
    Check out the release year announcement trailer for ongoing fan project, The Elder Scrolls Skyblivion. This is a volunteer project from the TESRenewal modding group, who are remaking The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion in the Skyrim engine.

The new trailer gives us a good look at the team's progress so far, and reveals that The Elder Scrolls Skyblivion has a 2025 release window. You can learn more about the project here: https://skyblivion.com/

AT LONG LAST

IN 2025 YOU WILL BE ABLE TO PLAY A 2006 GAME IN A 2011 GAME ENGINE

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Time has no meaning when it comes to Elder Scrolls games.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    did they have somebody else record patrick stewart's lines or something, what is going on there

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I started playing AC: Rogue.

My early (less than five hours) impression of the gameplay (haven't seen enough of story to comment on that), is like when you're in high school, and you ask your proactive intelligent friend to copy their essay, they say sure but make sure to change it up enough, and you just copy it all, then ctrl-f and replace all commas with semi colons.

You can tell it's pretty much the same but just a bit worse

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023

That game was betrayed by being associated with Devil May Cry and the expectations associated with Devil May Cry. If it had been its own thing, you'd have played a sequel or two of it by now. It had cool art direction and a... fine story, and the Definitive Edition made the combat much better.

Also maybe Ninja Theory's PR guy could've exercised a little more fucking chill and a little less late-00's era homophobia

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    giving dante a cowboy hat in DMC5 is so fucking funny

Elendil on
This discussion has been closed.