As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fitness and Weight Management] Let's crush some 2022 goals!

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I hope your recovery is smooth pipe!

I love old gym footage, this is a gym in the 60s and you can see the early stages of a lot of machines we still have now (and hear some excellent British foley work).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9ObaksQVnM

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »
    So I just had an appointment with my surgeon and locked in my surgery date

4 weeks from today I'm getting a Roux En-Y gastric bypass.

I am dropping into this thread I never visit with an update!
    A week after this post I started the surgery prep diet to shrink my liver in time for the surgery (Almost all the mass lost during times of very rapid weight loss comes from the liver and shrinking it down as small as possible moves it out of the way of the surgery site and significantly lowers the probability of complications). I ate 600 calories a day, mostly in the form of protein shakes or bars, but some simple snacks like a boiled egg or some lunch meat, and 1 real meal a day of 3 cups of vegetables and 120g of lean meat with a couple tablespoons of fat. By the end of those 3 weeks I was absolutely reveling in a giant bowl of riced cauliflower and garlic corn cooked with a knob of butter and a sliced sautéed chicken breast. Lots of people who I've talked to about the surgery called the prep diet the worst part, but I didn't mind it at all.

I went under for my surgery on the morning of Wednesday December 14th, woke up 5 hours later in recovery and spent 3 nights in the ward weening myself off Hydromorphone and trying to sleep. The MOMENT I woke up I was able to comfortably swallow water and later that same day I could drink clear broth and eat jello, drink enough water to take all my pills and stand up out of my bed to walk to the bathroom and pee by myself. I honestly don't know how my surgeon was able to do what she did so cleanly.
    TW Description of Surgery
    She cut my esophagus off my stomach and attached it directly to my intestines, then plugged my stomach at the top and hooked the bottom up further down so the acid it makes can still dissolve what little food I can eat, then she stapled it all together using a fucking ROBOT
    , and after all that bullshit, you could tell me they forgot to actually do the bypass part and I would believe you. The only discomfort I have is from the wounds on my stomach and the trauma to my abdominal muscles. It's WILD.

Anyway I've now been home a few days and feel much better, I can do pretty much everything myself except sit upright from prone, for that I still need my wife's help. And every time I stand up and walk around it's easier than the time before. I really REALLY wish I could roll over onto my tummy to sleep, or even my side. I can't stand sleeping on my back - because of that my sleep has been kind of garbage even since I got home. The first night I can roll onto and sleep on my side is probably going to be the most blissful sleep of my life so far.

So, here are some numbers:
    Highest weight: 413lb (187kg) December 2021
    Approved for surgery: 383lb (174kg) May 2022
    Starting prep diet: 373lb (169kg) November 2022
    Surgery day: 358lb (162kg) December 2022
    Surgery day +5: 351lb (159kg)

There are a bunch of calculators of how much weight I should lose based on my height, weight at time of surgery and sex, and they're on a bell curve.
    Right smack in the middle of the bell curve puts me at 223lb 18 months from now, which is when most people have fully settled into their new diet and routine and most people start putting on weight again. Everyone regains some of the lost weight, but again it's on a bell curve and 90% of patients never regain more than 50% of the weight lost.

I'm very much looking forward to having healed enough to start exercising in the spring. Even while I was on 600 calories a day during prep I found I had way more energy and stamina for simple activities being 60 pounds lighter then I was. Being 100 pounds lighter is going to feel like I've gained super powers.

Anyways, I'm doing very well and feeling super positive, if sore and exhausted. My wife and 5 year old are gonna go spend Christmas with my in-laws and give me the place to myself for a few nights during which I think I'll knock out God of War Ragnarok.

So damn happy for you, brother.

Glad to hear it went smoothly and that the recovery is following that path as well.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I can't be arsed to plank for ages so I've started loaded planks, and fuck me they're hard. Putting that weight just above your glutes makes it so much tougher.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I can't be arsed to plank for ages so I've started loaded planks, and fuck me they're hard. Putting that weight just above your glutes makes it so much tougher.

I love loaded carries for core work, not tried loaded planks though

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Happy 2023 Fitness Friends, I've got a question for everyone!

I'm gearing back up for another marathon and looking for cross-training ideas to get some light cardio. My training plan asks me to run 5 days a week, with two "easy" days or cross-training days. I did that the past two years with running on those light days with some weight training after, but I'm starting to think more about mixing it up.

I'd prefer not to join a gym or have to travel to participate in it, so I was wondering about upping my weight-training basement. I even started looking at roller-blades and rowing machines, but I don't want to go too far down any one road without hearing more ideas. What do you all do?

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I'll always recommend cycling. Indoor or outdoor, it's always great!

• Options
    Ah, I should have said I often do return to cycling when the weather is warmer, but for now my wife's bike is set up on the trainer so I was looking for alternates. Winter cycling is tough for just a quick 30 minute ride outside, it takes a load more time to get the proper clothing on before getting out there.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Absolutely true! I found that I hate riding below about 45 degrees, and for reasons beyond me I just can't deal with having a trainer. Which is why I got my Peloton last year, which for whatever reason just works for me.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Apart from climbing, my other cross training is workout videos from home.

I use fitness blender.com , they have tons of free videos but also really affordable plans for extra videos or sets of videos targeting something.

Plenty of fun HITT/kickboxing ones that I'll often do.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Fell hard off the wagon from Thanksgiving to now and stood on a scale this morning.

Aaaaaaand we're back onto the grind. Yeesh.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Fell hard off the wagon from Thanksgiving to now and stood on a scale this morning.

Yeah, I had a hard holiday as well, so I feel ya'. Currently at 224 and would like to get down to 180. Is 44 pounds in say, 6 months unreasonable? I'm not opposed to aiming for 9 months if necessary. Basically, I don't want to have to kill myself or go on a crazy power diet to lose weight.

Also, anyone have any suggestions/sites for quick and healthy breakfast/lunch ideas? I'd like to have more options than say oatmeal or fruit for breakfast and sandwiches for lunch.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    DrZiplock wrote: »

Yeah, I had a hard holiday as well, so I feel ya'. Currently at 224 and would like to get down to 180. Is 44 pounds in say, 6 months unreasonable? I'm not opposed to aiming for 9 months if necessary. Basically, I don't want to have to kill myself or go on a crazy power diet to lose weight.

Also, anyone have any suggestions/sites for quick and healthy breakfast/lunch ideas? I'd like to have more options than say oatmeal or fruit for breakfast and sandwiches for lunch.

a rough estimate for max reasonable weight loss would be ~ 0.5% to 1% body weight per week.

So for estimating, using your midpoint goal weight of ~ 200lbs and 1%, 200 * 0.01= 2 lbs/week average loss at the upper end of reasonable. 224-180= 44 lbs => 44/2 = 22 weeks => 22 weeks / 4.3 = 5.1 months.

So yes, with strong diligence losing 44 lbs in 6 months is possible at the upper range of reasonable weight loss. A slower timeline might be more sustainable, but sometimes you just gotta go by feel with that stuff

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    You can get pretty creative with lentil or bean salads and they're easy to make big batches of ahead of time. They tend to keep and travel well, eat quickly, and they're massively healthy.

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    First leg day since *checks calendar* November 30th?

Why no, no I didn't want to walk the rest of the week, why do you ask

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    What's a good way to get larger arm muscles at home, if I cannot afford to buy anything? I have two sets of small dumbbells. One set is basically those cute little walking weights and the other are five pounds, I think.

• Options
    Push ups?

Resistance band are pretty affordable and would allow you more options.

• Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    EDIT - Eh, nevermind. I'll stick to just posting progress stuff in the weightlifting thread.

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    If you get gallons of milk you could save two jugs and use them as dumbbells, you can vary the amount of water in them and full they're decently heavy.

Peen on
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I got Covid in late December, and I’ve tried to take it slow when it comes to running post-Covid. But today my new Saucony Ride 15s showed up, and I decided to give the new shoes a test. I pushed harder than I’ve pushed since getting Covid, and it went well. I went an hour at a 5:14 per kilometre pace (about 8:24 per mile) down a mushy and muddy trail in a stiff rain, and finished off with two kilometres of hills at a slower pace.

I felt pretty darn good. Not 100%. A few times I pushed it down under five minutes per km and it was my lungs that couldn’t take it rather than my legs. I’m simultaneously pleased that in two weeks I’m already back up to this point, and I’m disappointed that in two weeks I’m only back up to this point. I’m pretty confident that at this rate I’ll be where I want to be well before May, when I’ll probably be racing.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I am officially one month out from my surgery, pain and discomfort are almost entirely gone (although I'm still on a limited diet and learning how my new plumbing works). All of my surgery incisions have closed well, still red and a little puffy but not painful at all.

As of today I am 332 lb, just over eighty pounds lighter than I was in December 2021.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    What's a good way to get larger arm muscles at home, if I cannot afford to buy anything? I have two sets of small dumbbells. One set is basically those cute little walking weights and the other are five pounds, I think.

I pretty much only do pushups; I have a 35 plate I use for curls and overhead raises. I also have two fifteen pound kettlebells, which I do assorted lifts with, but they're also not super heavy or will wipe me out completely.
    qg4k59kbr84m.jpg

They're not ultramassive, but pushups are pretty effective.

Edit: the plate curls are two handed, so 35, with assistance.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    So at the moment I have three projects

A couple of 7A+s and a 7B. If I do them I'll have done 21 problems at 7A and above outdoors, on multiple rock types.

I feel very strong at the moment, but damn am I heavy. Oh to be 5' 8"

• Options
    As someone who's 5'8'' and heavy, being shorter might not help :D

• Options
    Well I'd be lighter! Annoyingly weight is a big element of bouldering performance (though not enjoyment!). I'm very careful not to fall into the weight/performance/overtraining obsessive tunnel. Climbing is rife with that.

That said I'd be happy to be around 73-4kgs. I think that'd be good

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    gotta get lithe!

I tried to date a girl because I saw her just like, climb speed 30 ft. up a cliff. some Assassin's Creed shit. she was like, 6 foot, whip-thin, and had cheekbones you could cut yourself on.

I slipped over after she came back down, brought her a water, expressed how impressive her run was. and I'm making her laugh, getting some climbing tips that are useless to me because I don't climb. then I was like, alright, shoot my shot, KOBE "so like, you wanna hang out sometime?"

she looks at me, up and down, and then right in the eyes, and says "you couldn't keep up."

SHOT THROUGH THE HEART

Depressperado on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Well I'd be lighter! Annoyingly weight is a big element of bouldering performance (though not enjoyment!). I'm very careful not to fall into the weight/performance/overtraining obsessive tunnel. Climbing is rife with that.

That said I'd be happy to be around 73-4kgs. I think that'd be good

Tall man beta is waaayyyy easier than short man beta.

• Options
    I sorta disagree tbh. I think that being shorter is almost always an advantage, or it's more often a disadvantage anyway. If the feet are high, if the position is bunched, if the box is small etc etc etc, shorter is better.

Being taller helps with reachy moves. In every other scenario imo it is better to be shorter i.e lighter and therefore proportionately stronger. There's a reason almost all the top end boulders are sub 5' 10" and the ones who aren't a lightweight (yeah buddy!)

• Options
    I’m trying to win a bib for the Marathon Pour Tous in Paris 2024. There’s a couple challenges each month, and a few randomly selected people completing the challenges get the chance to run a marathon on the Paris 2024 Olympic marathon course, during the Olympics. The challenge for the second half of January is to run a half marathon.

According to my tracking, I took my longest run ever today. 25.61 km at a 5’17 per km pace, with an average 130 BPM. The last 10k of that was over packed snow, which slowed me down a bit. Still, kilometres 7 through 16 in particular were great - splits of 5’14, 4’40, 4’06, 4’22, 4’34, 4’35, 5’11, 4’51, and 4’51. I did it wearing new shoes, Saucony Ride 15s, and I’m in love. Hopefully they hold up better than the Ride 14s (they tended to fall apart for me at 300 km), because damn these shoes feel great - great stability, great road feel, they feel light as hell, and have excellent bounce to them.

And the best part? My lungs were totally fine. I don’t know if I’m fully recovered from Covid yet, but I certainly felt fully recovered today.

I’m seriously considering trying for a marathon this year. The local one is in May. I think that I’d be happy just completing a marathon, but I really want to finish a marathon in under four hours while I’m still young enough to have a realistic shot at it.

My running trail today: https://imgur.com/gallery/JhDcDAK

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    I’m trying to win a bib for the Marathon Pour Tous in Paris 2024. There’s a couple challenges each month, and a few randomly selected people completing the challenges get the chance to run a marathon on the Paris 2024 Olympic marathon course, during the Olympics. The challenge for the second half of January is to run a half marathon.

According to my tracking, I took my longest run ever today. 25.61 km at a 5’17 per km pace, with an average 130 BPM. The last 10k of that was over packed snow, which slowed me down a bit. Still, kilometres 7 through 16 in particular were great - splits of 5’14, 4’40, 4’06, 4’22, 4’34, 4’35, 5’11, 4’51, and 4’51. I did it wearing new shoes, Saucony Ride 15s, and I’m in love. Hopefully they hold up better than the Ride 14s (they tended to fall apart for me at 300 km), because damn these shoes feel great - great stability, great road feel, they feel light as hell, and have excellent bounce to them.

And the best part? My lungs were totally fine. I don’t know if I’m fully recovered from Covid yet, but I certainly felt fully recovered today.

I’m seriously considering trying for a marathon this year. The local one is in May. I think that I’d be happy just completing a marathon, but I really want to finish a marathon in under four hours while I’m still young enough to have a realistic shot at it.

Not sure how old you are but I did my I just started running marathons before by 40th and managed a 3:50 on my second one.

Working on 3:45 for this year.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Not sure how old you are but I did my I just started running marathons before by 40th and managed a 3:50 on my second one.

Working on 3:45 for this year.

I just turned 40. I’m 100% sure I’m still capable of doing it, but I can also hear the clock ticking. And with only one or two realistic chances a year. . .

This is the marathon route I’d be doing. And it’s funny, I’m looking at Runners World and their 16 week training plan for a 3:45 marathon and I’m like “but this is much less mileage than what I already do?” So maybe I’m already ready for it, I just need to take a couple of rest days before the race and I should be good to go.

• Options
    So at the moment I have three projects

A couple of 7A+s and a 7B. If I do them I'll have done 21 problems at 7A and above outdoors, on multiple rock types.

I feel very strong at the moment, but damn am I heavy. Oh to be 5' 8"

Did one this evening, wooooo

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited January 2023

So in the absence of adding weight progressive overload can be achieved by high intensity sets taken to failure.

One thing you can do is inverted rows. Take a broom stick and put it on two chairs or something that can be used as a bridge, then get underneath it and hold yourself in a sort of upside down plank position and do supinated (palms UP) rows. This is more of a back workout/pull up substitute but with the supinated hands you'll activate the biceps a lot more as well.

You can do a body weight bicep curl with a door frame. Jam your feet against the joint of the door and wall, take your right hand and grab the inside door frame (so the left side of the door with your right hand and the right side of the door with your left hand) then sit back and down into an half squat position. Then contract the bicep and pull yourself up and then sit back down.

Also, for triceps: diamond cutter pushups, cobra pushups, seated tricep dips. You can even do chest and tricep dips in the 90° angle of a kitchen counter.

Also, resistance bands with handles are fairly cheap and you can do a lot of bicep focused work with those if you've got like, $35 laying around.

Again the key is to do sets to complete nut busting failure. 3 sets of 10 with 5lbs isn't going to work for hypertrophy.

Edit: keep rest pauses short, too to keep the intensity up. Like, 45 seconds to a minute between sets.

Double edit: fill some empty milk jugs (with screw on caps) with water or sand and you've got something you can curl right there that's going to be reasonably heavy for curls/overhead extensions.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    Guldimmit I always get supinated and pronated mixed up. I was right the first time it's supinated.

Anyway, I'm having to shave another 100 calories off my deficit. I somehow gained weight at 2500 which I'm hoping was recouped muscle mass but ehhhhh

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Thank you very much, @Juggernut

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I sorta disagree tbh. I think that being shorter is almost always an advantage, or it's more often a disadvantage anyway. If the feet are high, if the position is bunched, if the box is small etc etc etc, shorter is better.

Being taller helps with reachy moves. In every other scenario imo it is better to be shorter i.e lighter and therefore proportionately stronger. There's a reason almost all the top end boulders are sub 5' 10" and the ones who aren't a lightweight (yeah buddy!)

I mean, there's a reason Adam Ondra is the one out there climbing the toughest things. I think boulder problems are often unnaturally crunched due to boulders being naturally small in most places. You can always train in flexibility, but it's hard to give yourself extra reach without adding dynamic moves that make something easy to static very difficult.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Ondra is 1) an outlier, 2) skinny as owt and 3) without his neck actually quite short. I'm not saying the tall can't climb hard. Just that usually it's better to be short. Which is pretty largely accepted with a lot of substantial evidence i.e most people at the top are short and light

Solar on
  • Options
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Guldimmit I always get supinated and pronated mixed up. I was right the first time it's supinated.

Anyway, I'm having to shave another 100 calories off my deficit. I somehow gained weight at 2500 which I'm hoping was recouped muscle mass but ehhhhh

Maybe just do a 20 minute walk each day? Or (assuming you do gym sessions every other day), a 20 minute run on the treadmill after a lifting session?

But I admit I’m a little biased. Given the option of “move a little more” or “eat a little less” I always prefer the former.

• Options
    I literally do not have time to squeeze in a 20 minute treadmill session after the gym.

Also I fucking hate stationary cardio equipment. Hate it.

• Options
    I started running on treadmill (well more like walk) and used them for years, specially any time the weather was inconvenient.

When all the gyms shut down during covid I was forced to run outside regardless of the weather, and slowly I got used to running outside in almost any weather.

Now I can't run on treadmill at all. Not even in that it feels boring, it just feels weird. I can't adjust to it.

• Options
    Reporting back after a few months and I only have @schuss to either blame or thank for recommending uphill lunges. They are awful and I can barely walk afterwards.

On the other hand, my wife grabbed my butt last week and said "wow, that's so firm, are you doing something different?" So yeah, I'll keep suffering through those damn lunges.