As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Borderlands] Wonderlands! I Pull Out My Robe and Wizard Gat.

• DacDac Registered User regular
    My big fear is that whatever comes after Wonderlands has the wrong takeaway from Wonderlands' relative lack of success, because the game itself is a pretty great improvement.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    My big fear is that whatever comes after Wonderlands has the wrong takeaway from Wonderlands' relative lack of success, because the game itself is a pretty great improvement.

Lack of success? It sold way better than Take Two was expecting, and there's reportedly a sequel in development.

Granted we don't know the exact sales figures, and I suspect it didn't sell as well as the higher-profile Borderlands 3. Still, everyone seems to be really happy with how it did.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Wonderlands is fine at best. I'm surprised by all of the praise.

Its writing is not actively terrible like BL3 or NTftB, but I haven't been impressed by it.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Fired up Borderlands 3 with my wife again. Decided to try out some new characters for a change... I have to say that I absolutely fucking hate how the story progresses in this game on your like 10th or so new character. Standing around while they talk really cuts into the enjoyment of the game. Especially since my wife and I only have a very, very limited time to play. I wish I could skip the dialogue so bad. They desperately need something like Diablo 3s Adventure Mode.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    urahonky wrote: »
    Fired up Borderlands 3 with my wife again. Decided to try out some new characters for a change... I have to say that I absolutely fucking hate how the story progresses in this game on your like 10th or so new character. Standing around while they talk really cuts into the enjoyment of the game. Especially since my wife and I only have a very, very limited time to play. I wish I could skip the dialogue so bad. They desperately need something like Diablo 3s Adventure Mode.

When you suggest that your level and story progress be tied to your account and not your character people on the reddit lose their fucking minds but like it would make everything way faster

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    I do not mind starting at level 1 but holy shit I can't watch Claptrap getting stuck in the bridge. Waiting for Ellie to walk to the door... Listening to Lilith talk about our next steps.

Or fucking any of the scenes with the Influencer twins that I already forgot their name. Just let me press a button and the game thinks those scenes are done... Let me go pew pew things! That's all I'm here for.

Okay, Torgue's method for getting the party across the ocean is easily one of the funniest things in this series.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    It's even better when you realize they call that zone afterwards the
    Nocean

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I do not mind starting at level 1 but holy shit I can't watch Claptrap getting stuck in the bridge. Waiting for Ellie to walk to the door... Listening to Lilith talk about our next steps.

Or fucking any of the scenes with the Influencer twins that I already forgot their name. Just let me press a button and the game thinks those scenes are done... Let me go pew pew things! That's all I'm here for.
    It flows a little better if you skip all the side-missions and just barrel through the main story.

sig.gif
    edited February 20
    It lives!

bordarlandsposter.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&dpr=1.5

Trailer tomorrow.

Granted, the brag about a producer being vaguely involved in several other movies rarely inspires confidence. Especially when we've all forgotten the Uncharted movie was a thing.

Edit: Also the fact that it was filmed in 2021 and it's coming out this August.

cloudeagle on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Cate Blanchett is great… but as Lilith? Just seems like a weird fit. And clearly Kevin Hart is Roland in name only. I’m sure he’ll be the wacky frantic character he always is, like the newer Jumanji.

Hopefully this just leads to a better sequel featuring Handsome Jack

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Let Blanchett and Curtis do weird bullshit forever.

The problem here is Eli Roth

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    "From the producer of "Spider-Man"!"
    "...One of the good ones?"
    "Let's be real, we'd have mentioned it specifically if it were."

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm not touching this movie or trailer with a ten foot pole.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I don't know how to feel about this.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited February 21
    I have a problem with nearly all of the casting.

Kate Blanchett is a good actress, but do I see her as a phase-shifting, SMG toting Phoenix? Nope. Not at all.

Jack Black is great and he has done some good voice work in the past. But Claptrap is an animated character. Why did they recast the real Claptrap voice actor? It's gonna be suuuuuper weird hearing Jack Black in that role.

Kevin Hart is funny, and I don't dislike Kevin Hart. But Kevin Hart only plays one character and that is Kevin Hart. Plus... Roland is stoic and a man of few words. He's like the opposite of Kevin Hart. Also, he's like 2 feet taller than Kevin Hart.

I love Jamie Lee Curtis in pretty much everything. But as Tannis? Ehhhh... Tannis isn't like super young or anything, but at this point in time Jamie Like Curtis is grandma age. And Tannis is not a grandma.

I also find it very weird that they seem to have removed Mordecai and Brick from the roster.

Lucascraft on
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I'm really curious if this movie is supposed to be an all-out joke assault (like the last two Jumanjis) or more of a genuinely exciting action movie with plenty of jokes (the most recent D&D movie) or just a pile of shit with extremely too little thought put into it. My guess is the last one, but sometimes good things come from lackluster licenses (the first Tales of the Borderlands, for example).

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Kate Blanchett is a good actress, but do I see her as a phase-shifting, SMG toting Phoenix? Nope. Not at all.

Jack Black is great and he has done some good voice work in the past. But Claptrap is an animated character. Why did they recast the real Claptrap voice actor? It's gonna be suuuuuper weird hearing Jack Black in that role.

Kevin Hart is funny, and I don't dislike Kevin Hart. But Kevin Hart only plays one character and that is Kevin Hart. Plus... Roland is stoic and a man of few words. He's like the opposite of Kevin Hart. Also, he's like 2 feet taller than Kevin Hart.

I love Jamie Lee Curtis in pretty much everything. But as Tannis? Ehhhh... Tannis isn't like super young or anything, but at this point in time Jamie Like Curtis is grandma age. And Tannis is not a grandma.

I also find it very weird that they seem to have removed Mordecai and Brick from the roster.

Well, the real Claptrap voice actor got about triple fucked by Randy, which is why they changed for 3 iirc.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

Dunno, some of her performance as Hela had some Lilith adjacent energy. Something like that with more happy upbeat murdery instead of deadly serious murdery would work.
    Pretty sure this will not be a good movie though.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    Let's be fair, the last two Jumanjis were kinda fun.

Then again the vast majority of the fun came from everybody being bodyswapped fish out of water, which probably isn't the case here.

Yeah, I liked the new Jumanjis. Well, the first one at least. I still haven't watched the second one.

But Jack Black playing the role of a body-swapped teenage girl was fantastic.

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    Yeah I'm really struggling with Cate Blanchett as Lilith. Cate's a fantastic actress but like... 54 years old lol.

And Kevin Hart is Kevin Hart in the trailer.

I didn't love Ariana Greenblatt as Tina either. But I don't know if anyone can capture the essence of that character the way Ashley Burch does.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    man, everyone seems to be down on this like it's going to be terrible ....

that's kind of the point? It's Borderlands! It's eye candy and terrible humor!

So far I have no opinion on the writing. My opinion is strictly on the choice of actors and their performances in the role.

I didn't see anything in that trailer that screamed bad to me personally

but like I said, it's Borderlands so the bar is purposely set at an angle and bent in the shape of a middle finger

Xaquin wrote: »

but like I said, it's Borderlands so the bar is purposely set at an angle and bent in the shape of a middle finger

The Claptrap pooping bit. For the first couple of seconds, it's kinda funny! And then they just beat that horse into a sticky paste. In the trailer.

Deadpool this ain't.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    I saw the trailer and didn't find anything that made me cringe or made me feel it's gonna be horrible so I guess it's a good first impression.

cloudeagle wrote: »

The Claptrap pooping bit. For the first couple of seconds, it's kinda funny! And then they just beat that horse into a sticky paste. In the trailer.

Deadpool this ain't.

Borderlands had a girl off herself rather than date Skeeter instead of just moving or something (if memory serves). I feel like Claptrap pooping is exactly in the same vein. Remember his party?!

Kevin Hart just can't help being Kevin Hart in everything can he?

Deadpool this ain't.

Borderlands had a girl off herself rather than date Skeeter instead of just moving or something (if memory serves). I feel like Claptrap pooping is exactly in the same vein. Remember his party?!

Which isn't a great one, but this one seems worse because it's actually funny and then the comedy gets slowly murdered by endless mugging.

Deadpool this ain't.

Which isn't a great one, but this one seems worse because it's actually funny and then the comedy gets slowly murdered by endless mugging.

I'm guessing a lot of that is the trailer but who knows

Might just be a fun "get drunk and watch with buddies" kind of movie. At home though. Ain't no way I'm going to the theater for this.

I honestly can't tell if this is a classic case of a studio not giving a turbo shit about the source material or not. Kevin Hart is such a miscast for Roland, but I'm also open to being wrong, lord knows we can name a dozen cases of "wrong" castings that go on to fuckin' nail it. There's no Mordecai or Brick, and in fact they're clearly skipping and going straight for the two most meme heavy characters the series has with Tiny Tina and Kreig. But then you look at the whole cast list, and assuming it's correct, they're completely skipping Handsome Jack?

The flip side to all of this is that Borderlands has no plot. The first game especially, but it's not like the rest of the series is a narrative goldmine. It's a threadbare excuse to loot'n'shoot, and the characters can be entertaining. Which is why skipping to 2 and the most popular ones actually makes sense. If they can get the characters right then I guess it might work? Or maybe not. Who really knows I guess. Like Tannis is supposed to be off her fucking rocker, and I can see Curtis nailing it and having a blast with it.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    The cast list has General Knoxx so I'm assuming this is a reimagining of BL1 + DLC, with Knoxx as the big bad. And if the movie succeeds and makes any money, they'll do a sequel with Handsome Jack. And probably bring in just one or two of the vault hunters from BL2. I could see them adding Zer0 and Maya.

They'll add Gaige , because more manic funny meme characters are all the rage.

(I love Gaige, she was my character when playing 2.)

The cast list has General Knoxx so I'm assuming this is a reimagining of BL1 + DLC, with Knoxx as the big bad. And if the movie succeeds and makes any money, they'll do a sequel with Handsome Jack. And probably bring in just one or two of the vault hunters from BL2. I could see them adding Zer0 and Maya.

Oh no shit? General Knoxx was the best DLC I've ever played in any video game.

• Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    I honestly can't tell if this is a classic case of a studio not giving a turbo shit about the source material or not. Kevin Hart is such a miscast for Roland, but I'm also open to being wrong, lord knows we can name a dozen cases of "wrong" castings that go on to fuckin' nail it. There's no Mordecai or Brick, and in fact they're clearly skipping and going straight for the two most meme heavy characters the series has with Tiny Tina and Kreig. But then you look at the whole cast list, and assuming it's correct, they're completely skipping Handsome Jack?

The flip side to all of this is that Borderlands has no plot. The first game especially, but it's not like the rest of the series is a narrative goldmine. It's a threadbare excuse to loot'n'shoot, and the characters can be entertaining. Which is why skipping to 2 and the most popular ones actually makes sense. If they can get the characters right then I guess it might work? Or maybe not. Who really knows I guess. Like Tannis is supposed to be off her fucking rocker, and I can see Curtis nailing it and having a blast with it.

whatever do you mean, Borderlands is the epic story of baron flynt and his salt mining empire

surely this is what the movie will be about

I should also note that I'm a horror junkie that thinks Eli Roth is an overrated director. So that is also clouding my enjoyment of it a little bit.