As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pride and Prejudice and Goncharov [Movies]

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Late film spoilers for The Batman:
    of course I guess he does walk Falcone out of the club and directly into the arms of.... I guess the only non-crooked cops in Gotham? Not sure how Gordon got that little posse together but it's presented as a big heroic cop moment and that sucks

They then completely fail to protect Falcone and he dies immediately which feels like it might be intentionally undercutting that moment, or maybe not, it's a little sloppy

I think
    The fact that Falcone is undaunted by this helps. The read I get from that scene is that everybody pretty much knows this arrest is for show. Falcone will either be free within a day or else dead. The only justice in Gotham is mob justice.

Quire.jpg
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Cristoval wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    Watching Rise of the Planet of the Apes because you kept saying it's good. They made Andy Serkis do the Tower of Hanoi 😞

I love how you can hear the writers working saying okay Alzheimer's drug, how do we get it to spread? Uhh what if now it's an aerosol for no fucking reason, nailed it.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes is good because it birthed two sequels that absolutely blow it out of the water in pretty much every respect.

That seems like a very low bar to clear?

(I haven't watched any of the 21st century Apes movies)

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Cristoval wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    Watching Rise of the Planet of the Apes because you kept saying it's good. They made Andy Serkis do the Tower of Hanoi 😞

I love how you can hear the writers working saying okay Alzheimer's drug, how do we get it to spread? Uhh what if now it's an aerosol for no fucking reason, nailed it.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes is good because it birthed two sequels that absolutely blow it out of the water in pretty much every respect.

That seems like a very low bar to clear?

(I haven't watched any of the 21st century Apes movies)

They're very good.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I remember liking the first one well enough but for whatever reason never followed up with the others.

Didn't realize they were that well regarded, will have to catch them at some point!

• Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Late film spoilers for The Batman:
    of course I guess he does walk Falcone out of the club and directly into the arms of.... I guess the only non-crooked cops in Gotham? Not sure how Gordon got that little posse together but it's presented as a big heroic cop moment and that sucks

They then completely fail to protect Falcone and he dies immediately which feels like it might be intentionally undercutting that moment, or maybe not, it's a little sloppy
    The Batman spoilers
    I fell that that movie undercuts itself a few times.

Like there's that great scene near the end of the second act where Batman is asking Selina for help stopping Riddler and she says "Why should I stick my neck out to help you catch him? Every single person he's killed has had it coming, and I'm tired of everything in the city revolving around the crimes of old white men." It's a cool moment of reflection. But it's really undercut when the end is Riddler's plan mostly working and hundreds or thousands or poor random Gothomites died, but since a particular rich white guy came to grips with his issues and learned to be a better Batman it's framed as a win.

The Batman
    I don't think it's at all framed as a win! Bruce's realization that he's been going about this all wrong is positive personal growth but exists within a fairly bleak overall situation. I thought the movie was pretty clear this was a big failure on his part, both in missing key clues of Riddler's plan and in being so detached from the people of the city that the mob was able to take control of the renewal funds to begin with

The Batman
    I'll admit it could just be a me thing but I didn't feel like the movie thought it was a failure. The end has Batman looking stoic on a roof helping a bunch of grateful looking people with the beautiful golden sunrise behind him. Sure felt to me like the framing was 'Batman's finally figured out how to be Batman, so all is finally well."

I took a far more somber read on that than you.
    It registered more as a deconstruction of everything he had believed up until that point to me. Standing in the midsts of the rubble of his isolationist one-man crime fighting mission and realizing that he was wrong—but not that he suddenly had it all figured out. Just that he finally kind of got that his previous methods weren’t the answer.
    Hmm, seems like I read it wrong. I may have to watch it again sometime. I loved the atmosphere and most of the cast kills it but the plot I found very unappealing.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I haven't watched the sequels yet but even just the first one was like damn, this wasn't made that long ago but it kind of feels like a long time ago. They built a real set of the golden gate bridge with real cars, and it looks really good because the budget didn't go to redoing every effect 5 times at the last minute.

• CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    I’ve said it before but the Ape sequels feel like someone higher up was asleep at the wheel, because they are big expensive blockbusters that have no real interest in what that entails, especially being released during the thick of Marvels domination of the box office. They aren’t afraid to take their time and build up their characters and moments, with the third film beginning with like 20 minutes of apes just speaking sign language to each other and going about their daily ape shit. Wild stuff.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    The apes movies are good and the apes in the sequels still look incredible. But I hate all the humans so much.

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    The apes movies are good and the apes in the sequels still look incredible. But I hate all the humans so much.

And in the movie, too

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I hate every ape I see

From chimpan-a to chimpanzee~

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I watched Top Gun: Maverick

I didn’t want to like the movie I really didn’t but fuck me…it was excellent.

Only downside is we watched it on the bedroom tv with tv speakers instead of on the home theater in the living room. I’m going to need to give it a rewatch

• SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular

Only downside is we watched it on the bedroom tv with tv speakers instead of on the home theater in the living room. I’m going to need to give it a rewatch

That's a movie I would go back and watch in a proper theater if I could.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »

It's a fun theater watch. Great roller coaster, would ride again.

It also made me boot up Ace Combat 7 the very SECOND I got back home.

ygPIJ.gif
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

For me it was Project Wingman

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Alright

I’m stoned as fuck and Avatar 2 in 3D starts in 11 minutes

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Alright

I’m stoned as fuck and Avatar 2 in 3D starts in 11 minutes

The Sound of Bong Water

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I’m not sure if we talked about this but apparently Julian Sands is missing.

He was hiking in the mountains when a storm came in and has been missing ever since.

He was reported missing on 1/13 which was a week ago now.

holy cow

Hope he's found okay, but a week in a fairly rough area like Mt. Baldy isn't good.

The first Warlock was great, Vibes is a masterpiece, and he could also actually bring the heavy acting in stuff like Boxing Helena.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular

Best imax movie I've seen in years.

Olivaw wrote: »

For me it was Project Wingman

I really wish Project Wingman would see a Playstation release. I need something to keep me company in this long wait between Ace Combat games.

ygPIJ.gif
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Puss in Boots the last Wish got turned off part way into the film because "I've seen all the Shrek films and the Puss in Boots movie and that isn't Puss".

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    I've seen a lot of puss

• asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    i guess Dragons Forever got a new blu-ray release and i have been reminded how great the martial arts is and how painful the stunts look

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    My back hurts watching that clip.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    The Menu
    I'm kinda amazed that there hasn't been more talk about how much this movie is in conversation with the Slasher movie as a genre.

Quire.jpg
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Dragons Forever is maybe my fav HK Chan movie.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    I watched Sick tonight because I discovered I had 3 months of free Peacock with my internet plan

It was OK! Nothing mind blowing, but a solid slasher

It looks like Violent Night and Nope are on here, so I can finally check those out next

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Sheesh, that's top shelf flexibility.

wVEsyIc.png
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

That's just middle age. I rolled over on a piece of plastic on the couch that make a snapping sound and Mrs. TheJokerman goes "Oh no! Is your back ok?"

• The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    The Menu is a script-to-shooting adjustment for the better since the one I read about a year ago had
    Margo and Tyler as a married couple on their fifth anniversary. He's the exact same fanboy, but doesn't know the evening's events ahead of time (also doesn't kill himself, ends up dishwashing for the rest of the night before the fire). She's the only person strongly pushing back every step of the way over the course of the evening and isn't impressed/eating much since she's not a foodie and that's why Slowik takes an interest/keeps talking to her.

There's no direct inspiration for the cheeseburger request since Slowik's backstory is a little different and she never sees a photo of him in a diner. It's just a direct challenge after dressing down his food/menu to make something she'd actually want to eat.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Jokerman wrote: »

That's just middle age. I rolled over on a piece of plastic on the couch that make a snapping sound and Mrs. TheJokerman goes "Oh no! Is your back ok?"

I have in fact thrown my back out looking at scout the wrong way and also sneezing too hard

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Jokerman wrote: »

I have in fact thrown my back out looking at scout the wrong way and also sneezing too hard

Oh yea, when I feel a big sneeze coming on I have to make sure I'm properly squared up or things are going to hurt.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    The Judge wrote: »
    The Menu is a script-to-shooting adjustment for the better since the one I read about a year ago had
    Margo and Tyler as a married couple on their fifth anniversary. He's the exact same fanboy, but doesn't know the evening's events ahead of time (also doesn't kill himself, ends up dishwashing for the rest of the night before the fire). She's the only person strongly pushing back every step of the way over the course of the evening and isn't impressed/eating much since she's not a foodie and that's why Slowik takes an interest/keeps talking to her.

There's no direct inspiration for the cheeseburger request since Slowik's backstory is a little different and she never sees a photo of him in a diner. It's just a direct challenge after dressing down his food/menu to make something she'd actually want to eat.

Yup that's worse in every sense.
    One of the best aspects of the film is the way it plays with being sort of a slasher movie that doesn't play by slasher rules. Margot playing the part of the "Virgin" when she is literally a prostitute is so perfect and clever and quietly subversive.

Quire.jpg
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Just finished No Time To Die... is it just me or was the Cuba sequence the best part of the movie?

Mad respect for the ending, though.

sig.gif
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Just finished No Time To Die... is it just me or was the Cuba sequence the best part of the movie?

Mad respect for the ending, though.

Ana de Armas should get a spin-off series for her character.

• The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    The Judge wrote: »

Yup that's worse in every sense.
    One of the best aspects of the film is the way it plays with being sort of a slasher movie that doesn't play by slasher rules. Margot playing the part of the "Virgin" when she is literally a prostitute is so perfect and clever and quietly subversive.

Other adjustments made that I can remember
    Menu was trimmed and slightly less mean - there was a blackout course with snakes and somebody with an allergy getting force fed brittle.

Dropped some of the escalating amounts of broken emulsion delivered to the critic at various points out of nowhere. There's like three more at least, finishing with a barrel they wheel in on a dolly.

Dropped the small film crew recording everything. No lines, just a lot of wordless Uh-Oh looks. They also die.

You don't see the fire start, just that the place goes up in the distance. Slowik apparently doesn't die in the fire- severed hands and head are found holding a copy of the menu behind the silver door next to the film camera when firefighters crack it open post-blaze

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGvv-Hhft3U

I still think this movie is looking like a decent fun time

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I was still pretty out but the fat dragon got a legitimate laugh out of me

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I might try to sell my wife on the D&D movie, she's been on a bit of an action-comedy kick.

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    You can’t knock a fat dragon, that’s a good choice. I will probably watch that at some point via extremely legitimate means, but I’ll be in no rush.

This discussion has been closed.