As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

🖥️🎮 - Nadir, Scorchlands & You can Do!mino out today!

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    And so, 5.5 hours in, ends this year's attempt to get into Rain World.

I guess at least I accomplished something this time, I reached a lore objective that changed what the helper is pointing you at, then got stuck in the sewers trying to follow said helper to the next destination. The game remains, as ever, incredibly intriguing to explore and utterly frustrating to actually play.

The combination of incredibly loose controls, fiddly control "states" your character can get stuck in unwittingly (falling a certain distance or tapping down will toggle you intro crouch mode, which is extremely slow, and jumping or falling past a pole will automatically grab), fast&deadly enemies and incredibly specific platforming you're expected to do, all on a timer just compound into a very frustrating "I am repeatedly failing to perform this platforming challenge and watching the timer tick down towards my death is NOT helping" combo.

I'll restart and try again next year.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Medical accidents of super powered heroes would make a fascinating reality series, now that I think about it.

A whole wing of the hospital dedicated to people who fell into vats

There's a person in the Gotham OSHA office who is about two weeks from turning into a costumed villain if one more inspector rubber-stamps a noncompliant guardrail.

Turns out their manager has already become The Clock King. So hey, they can probably get a decent referral on their costumed villain resume... unless they were chronically late.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    So, we're all assuming that Gambit probably once accidentally energized a wad of toilet paper up before use right

Blew his taint right off

JtgVX0H.png
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    And so, 5.5 hours in, ends this year's attempt to get into Rain World.

I guess at least I accomplished something this time, I reached a lore objective that changed what the helper is pointing you at, then got stuck in the sewers trying to follow said helper to the next destination. The game remains, as ever, incredibly intriguing to explore and utterly frustrating to actually play.

The combination of incredibly loose controls, fiddly control "states" your character can get stuck in unwittingly (falling a certain distance or tapping down will toggle you intro crouch mode, which is extremely slow, and jumping or falling past a pole will automatically grab), fast&deadly enemies and incredibly specific platforming you're expected to do, all on a timer just compound into a very frustrating "I am repeatedly failing to perform this platforming challenge and watching the timer tick down towards my death is NOT helping" combo.

I'll restart and try again next year.

Awwww, I bought it because of your last post tho!

Look, there's loads of people who really, really love that game.

I keep trying to be one of them.

• JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    I think Gambit needed to make skin contact with an object to charge it with his power, but he also wanted to be a cool guy who wore gloves so this was his big-brained solution.

Edit: You know, I was about to comment on Gambit not even having those abs if he was shown shirtless, but after googling, I was surprised to see that he actually did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hO2SK3SJOo

I'm curious, what exactly did you Google?

• CoolrekCoolrek Registered User regular
    I finished the Calisto protocol. I'd say the closest thing I can compare it to is the Evil within 1, in that its weird and kind of a mess but it got to a point after a few hours where I was enjoying myself. Its a very flashy 6.5/7 out of 10 game

It feels like all the encounters were designed backwards though, it was significantly more frustrating and difficult in the first 3-4 hours than in was later in the game. Like, those first few hours were designed as if you had learned all the tricks and specifics of the mechanics and could deal with lots of enemies in confined places rather than still building up your arsenal and coming to grips with how everything fits together. I spent a lot of time in those first couple watching Josh Duhamel get ripped up by monster men because I was still trying to figure out the melee combat and getting my ass kicked in 3 or 4 hits because the margin for error is pretty slim.

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I was wondering what happened to Steamworld Headhunter, but apparently Thunderful have had multiple games in the works for at least a couple of years and a city builder was mentioned among them, so maybe development has been better for Build.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    Justice wrote: »
    I'm curious, what exactly did you Google?

I want to say it was "Marvel Gambit Shirtless" or something like that. Then clicked the Images tab and scrolled looking for the 90s Animated Series Gambit, and it turned out to be a thumbnail for a video.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    Some forspoken reactions:

1. Her face looks fucked up, like they did a bad job on the mocap for this, it is actively off-putting to me in this scene.
    2. god, this is so badly written
    3. why do they keep fucking saying cuff!!!?!?!? jesus christ, i feel like i'm on an alternate plane of existence. no one - no one uses cuff in this context, by itself. It's so fucking weird and is such a weird hill for this game to die on.

I really hope they are playing with lowered settings or twitter is doing something. Her facial details look like it could be from a PS3 naughty dog game (I double checked my brain wasn't making Uncharted 3 look better).

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    The Steamworld Build demo is pretty good.

It took me just under an hour to finish.

Although I did finish it in one sitting, I get a little annoyed when a demo longer than 20 minutes doesn't have saves.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    asofyeun wrote: »
    those gloves make no sense to me
    Maybe he's an artist.
    j0zv12lsvbsh.jpg

Sure, yeah, he's a pick-up artist

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    asofyeun wrote: »
    those gloves make no sense to me
    Maybe he's an artist.
    j0zv12lsvbsh.jpg

Sure, yeah, he's a pick-up artist

Mais non, a 52 pick-up artist, mon ami

*many explosions*

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    Gambit is basically just Cajun Johnny Bravo, right?

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I had completely forgotten that the Dead Space remake comes out this month, let alone this Friday.

Never played the original games so I guess I'm going to spend my weekend being a scared baby.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Medical accidents of super powered heroes would make a fascinating reality series, now that I think about it.

There's a person in the Gotham OSHA office who is about two weeks from turning into a costumed villain if one more inspector rubber-stamps a noncompliant guardrail.

They call him Repairman-man-man-man-man

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Gambit is basically just Cajun Johnny Bravo, right?

Gambit is a tortured soul putting on a brave facade with a tragic backstory and a forbidden love!

#OCdonotsteal

euj90n71sojo.png
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyN__jrig7k

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    cursedking wrote: »
    Some forspoken reactions:

1. Her face looks fucked up, like they did a bad job on the mocap for this, it is actively off-putting to me in this scene.
    2. god, this is so badly written
    3. why do they keep fucking saying cuff!!!?!?!? jesus christ, i feel like i'm on an alternate plane of existence. no one - no one uses cuff in this context, by itself. It's so fucking weird and is such a weird hill for this game to die on.

I really hope they are playing with lowered settings or twitter is doing something. Her facial details look like it could be from a PS3 naughty dog game (I double checked my brain wasn't making Uncharted 3 look better).

Nah, that's just what the game looks and sounds like.

This is the head of Luminous Productions saying "hey, my team made FFXV. This is the engine they know and after so many years working on that project, I bet we could make something on the cheap using what we learned."

Meanwhile the rest of Square's development studios are like "yo Unreal is actually super easy to work with." Except the division of Creative Business Unit III that's still working on FFXIV. Those folks just shrug like a Flintstone's animal character and mutter whatever the Japanese equivalent of "eh, it's a living" is as they deal with spaghetti code old enough to drive (the first version of FFXIV started development in like 2005).

EDIT: My phone keeps auto correcting XV to XIV because I talk about that game a lot...

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I got a yoyo for Christmas from my wife this year. The gloves that came with it immediately made me think of Gambit.

ein7tpcv3foj.jpg

That is all.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

Superpower Mishaps are one of my favourite elements in The Boys

Like the guy who
    shrinks himself down to climb inside his boyfriend's dick, but sneezes and accidentally returns to normal size, exploding his boyfriend's lower half

Lordy I love The Boys

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Will always remember my fourth grade best friend and I getting into a heated lunchroom fight over whether Gambit or Jean-Paul Valley Batman had the best superhero costume, circa 1995

What a decade for comics

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    the reaction for forspoken is so mixed, i'm not sure what to make of it

to its credit, the moment to moment gameplay looks like it might actually be pretty fun (good movement and combat mechanics can salvage a lot), and i've heard a few reviews mention it improves as the game opens up. but that writing seems truly unfortunate, the tone is so off, visually it seems like a mixed bag, and being an open-world-ass open world game isn't doing a lot to help either. feels very "wait for a sale"

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Playing through monster hunter rise since it game out on HD consoles and man long sword people what is your problem? God damn have you met a hunter you can't interrupt the ability on?

My shame is I am/was a long sword user

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    flinch free baby

liEt3nH.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    flinch free baby

Sadly don't have it yet. Its just amusing to be setting up an elemental discharge and lol hunter swiped. YOU FUCKERS I WAS YOU!!!!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Elendil wrote: »
    the reaction for forspoken is so mixed, i'm not sure what to make of it

to its credit, the moment to moment gameplay looks like it might actually be pretty fun (good movement and combat mechanics can salvage a lot), and i've heard a few reviews mention it improves as the game opens up. but that writing seems truly unfortunate, the tone is so off, visually it seems like a mixed bag, and being an open-world-ass open world game isn't doing a lot to help either. feels very "wait for a sale"
    The Polygon review mentions it gets really fun riiiight as you're about to finish the game. Which, unfortunate if true. I wonder if this is another case of developers stripping out too much core stuff in the name of having a progression. At least it doesn't sound like the game has you collecting thousands of equippable items, each with a small chance to give you a minor bonus to some number.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »

It also spoils major plot points and an alternative ending, so reader bewarned.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I need to try to play a video game because I'm sitting around bored a bunch and it's bad for me

I just don't know what game to play

I keep meaning to actually try to play through disco but I always bounce off of it because I feel too dumb for it

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I need to try to play a video game because I'm sitting around bored a bunch and it's bad for me

I just don't know what game to play

I keep meaning to actually try to play through disco but I always bounce off of it because I feel too dumb for it

Pentiment has some stuff in common in terms of design, and it's much shorter

It also doesn't really have the same kind of super "writerly" prose style that disco has

I like the prose in disco

What is getting to me is more choice paralysis and the sense the game is judging me and making fun of me for making incorrect choices

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    You could play Caves of Qud. You can be a mutant with 4 arms and poison stinger, or a cyborg!
    There's a whole town of science bears. And as I found out last night, another town that's basically a hippie commune of mostly stoner frogs.

steam_sig.png
    I forgot I still have signalis on my switch.

I hear that's pretty short though

Why do I feel like playing a jrpg of some kind? Maybe ff9 would be a good replay

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Disco Elysium got way more fun when I just started saving before doing anything and reloading if I didn't like the result

Not even to save scum on rolls, but just because I can't resist clicking all the dialogue options and the game doesn't always reward that. I don't want to deal with the fallout of Harry shitting himself in public because I wanted to hear what the brain voices had to say

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    Play Blaster Master Zero. Just like the original except with some QOL improvements, clocks at about 10 hours. Not particularly difficult. Perfect pick-up-and-play nostalgia snack, if you're old.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

What is getting to me is more choice paralysis and the sense the game is judging me and making fun of me for making incorrect choices

Try to open up to the game as a narrative, not just a videogame. Decide how you want to play the protagonist. An extension of what you would do in that situation? Great! A racist? Okay. A guy who sincerely believes in ghosts? Cool.

Then just kind of...go through the game as that character.

My first run I just kind of reacted how I would in real life and got a very upsetting, but accurate ending.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

Oh yeah it'll do that no matter what

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    There is no path where you’re not some flavor of fucking doofus in Disco Elysium.

Gotta accept that and just roll with it. That’s disco, baby.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
This discussion has been closed.