As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

🖥️🎮 - Nadir, Scorchlands & You can Do!mino out today!

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I know one of my general critiques of the DC movies - with the exception of The Suicide Squad - is that they seem SUPER ashamed of being comic book movies. NOlan's batverse movies aren't bad at all, but they're also not very happy to be A Batman Movie - gotta have a Justifaction And Backstory For Every Gadget, compared to say The Batman (2022) which is a lot more gleeful about leaning into things like the batcar and Wayne being a bit of a nebbish nerd with too much money.

TSS is great in part because it just goes hard on "Yeah, there's these colorful weridos and they're dumb as shit and also highly dangerous". Where does Bloodsport's armor come from? How does it work? Why is it one of a kind? WHO CARES ITS COOL AS FUCK IDRIS ELBA IS GOING TO SHOOT A KAIJU WITH IT NOW.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    I know one of my general critiques of the DC movies - with the exception of The Suicide Squad - is that they seem SUPER ashamed of being comic book movies. NOlan's batverse movies aren't bad at all, but they're also not very happy to be A Batman Movie - gotta have a Justifaction And Backstory For Every Gadget, compared to say The Batman (2022) which is a lot more gleeful about leaning into things like the batcar and Wayne being a bit of a nebbish nerd with too much money.

TSS is great in part because it just goes hard on "Yeah, there's these colorful weridos and they're dumb as shit and also highly dangerous". Where does Bloodsport's armor come from? How does it work? Why is it one of a kind? WHO CARES ITS COOL AS FUCK IDRIS ELBA IS GOING TO SHOOT A KAIJU WITH IT NOW.

I don't think the Aquaman movie had a lot of shame about being a comic book movie.

There's no shame here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm0hUXlrJpM

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    It was one of the best parts of Aquaman.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I don't think "ashamed of being a comic book," is really where the Marvel movies are at, or what's wrong with them. Their major problem is more that they're kind of...too much like event comics, where everything is sort of built to advance the next big thing rather than serve the story itself, and occasionally something interesting finds its way through

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I haven't seen Aquaman, so it's entirely possible that's true that it's not ashamed.

And I agree with that take Eebs. Event comics suck, in general.

Unless it's Judgement Day by Kieron Gillian, which was actually really good

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    I have started playing Disco Elysium for the first time

Yes this prose is quite delightful to hear

I talked to Cuno

Cuno was mean

Cuno made me sad

Game over

Perfect game, 100/100

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I haven't seen Aquaman, so it's entirely possible that's true that it's not ashamed.

I'm working my way through this now. And it confirmed my suspicions from the movie, even though I'd never read them before, that the Eternals are just kinda shitty people. Also the mutants are pretty dumb. Everyone kinda sucks.

It's pretty rad.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

Event comics can be good! There are Avengers movies that are really fun to watch and are pretty unique even among blockbuster movies. The original Secret Wars was a blast, and I loved House of M a whole lot. The thing about events is that the events themselves can be really fun or entertaining, but often they warp everything else as they try to meet them. A show like Ms. Marvel, about a teenager in New Jersey, has to blow through seasons worth of plot in eight episodes because they've already announced she's going to be in a movie and they need to set that up. The Ant-Man movies were light and fun and had low stakes, and now...you have to watch Ant-Man 3 because how else are you going to understand the stakes of the new Phase of the MCU? I'd honestly feel better about it if they put a banner on top of the poster that said THE ROAD TO KANG STARTS HERE

Shadowfire wrote: »

I'm working my way through this now. And it confirmed my suspicions from the movie, even though I'd never read them before, that the Eternals are just kinda shitty people. Also the mutants are pretty dumb. Everyone kinda sucks.

It's pretty rad.

You should absolutely read Gillian's run on Eternals, which sets things up.

X-men Red by Ewing and Immortal X-Men by Gillian also play into it and are very very good, with a lot of powerful ideas and good stuff to say.

The Mutants side of the marvel comics has not so secretly been some of the best stuff they've been putting out recently. Also most everything Jeb Mackay has been doing, his runs on Black Cat, Moon Knight and Strange are great

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

Oh, well, you should!!

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Just played the SteamWorld Build Demo and damn, it hits all of my favorite game genres. Its got a heavy dose of Anno and a touch of that dungeon keeper feel.

It's also not as complex as either source that its pulling inspiration from, so I think it could potentially be easier for someone to jump in.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Having watched all of about 5 seconds of forspoken video footage, the thing that jumped out to me was the quippy marvel-whedon feel of the one line I heard. Don't really like that style of writing, but I guess that's the times we live in. To have more of an opinion than that I'd probably have to pay more attention.

BahamutZERO.gif
    Zonugal wrote: »

Oh, well, you should!!

I refuse.

What now?

Oh, well, you should!!

I refuse.

What now?

I banish you to the Trench!

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I have started playing Disco Elysium for the first time

Yes this prose is quite delightful to hear

I talked to Cuno

Cuno was mean

Cuno made me sad

Game over

Perfect game, 100/100

Cuno breaks my heart.

Hitting that kid brought me zero satisfaction.

Oh, well, you should!!

I refuse.

What now?

I banish you to the Trench!

You fool! as an undead penguin, i draw power from deep aquatic enviroments

Wait, hang on, this is the video game thread not the TTRPG thread

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Installing a new triple A release after playing almost nothing but indies and weird niche B games in side genres:
    vqxb7me1594z.png
    erab8idxx08o.png

Fuck

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    yeah the forspoken pc specs seem to be

unique

liEt3nH.png
    Mainlining mid, dubious PC releases all this month between this and Wanted: Dead in a few weeks.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Playing a game called Sailing Era and getting legitimately humiliated for my geography knowledge when a quest for my Chinese Merchant/Academic is to go to Manila with no sailing charts.

Literally I went so south I fucking hit Australlia.

this seems brutal

like, I understand manilla is the phillipines and I know where the phillipines are, but fuck me if I know where in the phillipines it is or relative to some random port in china is would be

Fun bonus points it’s tucked away in a cove which means you only see it from your boat from a specific angle if you’re just scanning islands.

For some reason I feel confident that I *could* find Manila from a random port in China, but I can't tell if that confidence comes from the fact I live outside the US so I received a superior international geographic education, or whether it's just because I'm descended from Macau-Portuguese sailors and being able to find and fuck up Spanish holdings in the East Indies has just been instinctually bred into my cultural genetic legacy.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I've continued to explore Kos in Odyssey and noticed a quest in a fort, which is always curious as they're hostile areas, so naturally I decide to check it out...
    Markos: Helloooo, is anyone there?

Oh you motherfucker

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Remember when we were upset at Titanfall's insanely huge 50gb install? Can we go back to that time?

Fishman wrote: »
    Playing a game called Sailing Era and getting legitimately humiliated for my geography knowledge when a quest for my Chinese Merchant/Academic is to go to Manila with no sailing charts.

this seems brutal

like, I understand manilla is the phillipines and I know where the phillipines are, but fuck me if I know where in the phillipines it is or relative to some random port in china is would be

Fun bonus points it’s tucked away in a cove which means you only see it from your boat from a specific angle if you’re just scanning islands.

For some reason I feel confident that I *could* find Manila from a random port in China, but I can't tell if that confidence comes from the fact I live outside the US so I received a superior international geographic education, or whether it's just because I'm descended from Macau-Portuguese sailors and being able to find and fuck up Spanish holdings in the East Indies has just been instinctually bred into my cultural genetic legacy.

I'm from the UK but I can't promise I'd be any better at this if I was playing the 'adventurer' from Portugal honestly.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »

Event comics can be good! There are Avengers movies that are really fun to watch and are pretty unique even among blockbuster movies. The original Secret Wars was a blast, and I loved House of M a whole lot. The thing about events is that the events themselves can be really fun or entertaining, but often they warp everything else as they try to meet them. A show like Ms. Marvel, about a teenager in New Jersey, has to blow through seasons worth of plot in eight episodes because they've already announced she's going to be in a movie and they need to set that up. The Ant-Man movies were light and fun and had low stakes, and now...you have to watch Ant-Man 3 because how else are you going to understand the stakes of the new Phase of the MCU? I'd honestly feel better about it if they put a banner on top of the poster that said THE ROAD TO KANG STARTS HERE
    I was really enjoying the Loki show, and then the final episode happens and I just went "who the fuck is this asshole and why should I care?"

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »

this seems brutal

I'm from the UK but I can't promise I'd be any better at this if I was playing the 'adventurer' from Portugal honestly.

I'm also from the UK and when I hear 'Manila' I just think of the envelope/jail puzzle from Monkey Island 2

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

It's pretty rad.

X-men Red by Ewing and Immortal X-Men by Gillian also play into it and are very very good, with a lot of powerful ideas and good stuff to say.

The Mutants side of the marvel comics has not so secretly been some of the best stuff they've been putting out recently. Also most everything Jeb Mackay has been doing, his runs on Black Cat, Moon Knight and Strange are great

I started with that Eternals run, actually. That's where I learned that they all sucked. Except Ikarus, he seems alright.

But yeah, the x-men side is weird and I'm enjoying it so far.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter

It's pretty rad.

I started with that Eternals run, actually. That's where I learned that they all sucked. Except Ikarus, he seems alright.

But yeah, the x-men side is weird and I'm enjoying it so far.

Look, Sprite only tried to genocide the Eternals once. It's fine, she's cool. And Makari has done nothing wrong! Nor has Kingo.

Just ignore the giant God judging humanity (it's actually kinda funny the way Kingo just sort of poofs out of the plot).

One of the reasons I'm digging the X-Men side, especially X-Men Red is how much it digs into the characters involved, and the ethics.

Also Fisher King is just great, design wise, personalty wise and everything. As is Khora of the Burning Heart

• Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular

It's pretty rad.

X-Men Red is so good. A lesser writer would have just portrayed the people of Arakko as warmongering barbarians (and some of them definitely are), but they are so much more interesting in this.

Also enjoying Legion of X a lot, though I think its predecessor, Way of X, was better.

(Also agree on Immortal, Moon Knight and Strange)

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

Hey, if you're not transphobic and you've decided you're not buying #HogwartsLegacy, you can always wishlist our game about a magic school in Transylvania made by 3 people 😉👇

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Extremely serious stuff is usually vastly funnier than "hey, isn't this genre thing silly" humor.

Stranger of Paradise 10/10 writing

Couscous on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Hey, if you're not transphobic and you've decided you're not buying #HogwartsLegacy, you can always wishlist our game about a magic school in Transylvania made by 3 people 😉👇

For some reason I find cell shaded animation in games more impressive than super high fidelity 3D stuff. I assume it's just because I see so much less of it, but whenever I see a game animated like this my brain is like "wow how did they do that." Like cell shading is only for pre-determined animation like TV and the fact it can also be used for interactive stuff is somehow mind-blowing.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    When Jack in Stranger of Paradise says, "bullshit," and then puts on his headphones to listen to some butt rock as he walks out of the dungeon, he isn't calling the setting bullshit. He is calling the idea that Chaos is not a real thing he can kill with a sword bullshit.

Because he has to kill Chaos. Chaos stole his lunch money. Mom says it is his turn to kill Chaos

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Huh, maybe I should play Stranger of Paradise.

steam_sig.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Oh right, a new season of Doom Patrol somehow came out instead of being canceled. I should probably watch that sooner rather than later - now there's a show unafraid of getting comic book weird.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    It's a real good season (so far at least)

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    I had completely forgotten that the Dead Space remake comes out this month, let alone this Friday.

Never played the original games so I guess I'm going to spend my weekend being a scared baby.

You could just buy the original for like 4$, it's still real real good

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I had completely forgotten that the Dead Space remake comes out this month, let alone this Friday.

Never played the original games so I guess I'm going to spend my weekend being a scared baby.

also it still looks quite good for a nearly 15 year old game

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I mean I could, but that ps5 version do look real pretty...

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Wait for reviews.

If it's a mess, get the very good old version.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

is it four bucks somewhere

i've been waiting for months and it hasn't dropped below 20

This discussion has been closed.