As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pride and Prejudice and Goncharov [Movies]

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Jung_E caught my eye while browsing on netflix

- some of the background details seemed unnecessary
    - said details made the events feel petty
    - combat sequences were fun
    - feels like a bit got lost in translation
    - liked the general aesthetic
    - nothing took my breath away or anything, but the sets and backgrounds were high quality

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    That DnD movie looks like a perfect Saturday afternoon digital rental

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    You can’t knock a fat dragon, that’s a good choice. I will probably watch that at some point via extremely legitimate means, but I’ll be in no rush.

God I hope its Themberchaud.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Just got out of The Whale...

Ooof. Just fuck me all up fam.

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I watched that Tony Hawk documentary on HBO

That’s a good documentary guys! If you wanna watch a documentary you can’t go wrong with that one

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    oh is that why Tony Hawk was on SNL this week?

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

Nah, he was just doing kick flips outside and they asked if he would come on the show and play Tony Hawk in a skit, since he looks a lot like him.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

That’s a good documentary guys! If you wanna watch a documentary you can’t go wrong with that one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UsR9-1npLE

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

Nah, it was just a guy that looked like him

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Oscars question

Do they consider sequels to be adaptations of the original film or something? Noticed both Glass Onion and Top Gun Maverick are in the adapted screenplay category.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Oscars question

Do they consider sequels to be adaptations of the original film or something? Noticed both Glass Onion and Top Gun Maverick are in the adapted screenplay category.

Maybe because they use characters from the original?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I have zero interest in seeing The Whale.

If not for Brendan Fraser I’d have negative interest in it

edited January 2023
    I have zero interest in seeing The Whale.

If not for Brendan Fraser I’d have negative interest in it

It was some high grade fucking kino. The direction, how the cinematography makes it feel like a stage play, the acting (Fraiser is a fucking talent). It handles grief and loss and complex feelings about hope and nihilism in a pretty neat 90 minute package. It worked for me, it was a good movie.

Jokerman on
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Aronofsky is extremely my shit and I accepted this with just mother!, I’m going to see and love The Whale

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023

Man, is "Everything Everywhere All at Once is the best movie of 2022" actually going to be the mainstream take? Might have to pick something else to maintain my hipster cred.

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I'm just happy for Ke Huy Quan.

• N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »
    Oscars question

Maybe because they use characters from the original?

Yes. Because they're based on previously established material, and that includes story/characters established in a previous film.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Aronofsky is extremely my shit and I accepted this with just mother!, I’m going to see and love The Whale

I held out for a long time, considering himself way too far up his own ass, but after mother! I had to just admit that Aronofsky is very much my thing.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    I would like to see Ke Huy Quan win, and I think he could win almost solely off the narrative of "child star returns to acting".

Best supporting actress I feel like is gonna go to Angela Bassett, not even because of Black Panther so much as the fact that Angela Bassett somehow doesn't have an Oscar. The only thing stopping it would be because it's for a big superhero movie.

Maddoc on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »

I have no context for this, is he supposed to sound like a rambling crazy person?

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I like Aronofsky, the premise just bugs me. Maybe it’s something I’ll give a chance at some point.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Ringo wrote: »
    Ms Dapper wrote: »

I have no context for this, is he supposed to sound like a rambling crazy person?

Rodney Mullen, and usually yes.

https://youtu.be/fK1log39Hog

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    This is extremely uncharitable, but my perception of it at a glance is "We made this conventionally attractive man fat and told a human story, aren't we brave."

Maybe someday I'll correct that perception, but I'm not really too fussed over it.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I don't know that I'd consider Brendon Fraiser "conventionally attractive" at this point. Also hiring a 600+ lb actor is going to really limit your options.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I'm definitely not equipped to wade into the discourse but I have seen a lot of frustration over the film's obsession with fatness.

I love dumb movies but holy shit that whole Elder part of John Wick 3 is dumb as helllllll

MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I love dumb movies but holy shit that whole Elder part of John Wick 3 is dumb as helllllll

I know! It’s awesome

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    John Wick 3 is extremely lost in its own sauce.

I found that the movie's obsession with lore really took me out of it but your mileage may vary.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »

I found that the movie's obsession with lore really took me out of it but your mileage may vary.

I would agree. Even though i love the series as a whole and while the fights in three are mesmerizing, i want the lower stakes of the first movie. That first film is such a tidy package.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • ChallChall Registered User regular
    I view the John Wicks as a Stunt Spectacular with a vestigial plot. I don't really need it or care of it makes sense as long as they keep getting dedicated stunt people to have as much fun as possible.

• Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular

Yeah, for me the crazy lore is a selling point. It speaks to the teenager in me who obsessed over the various World of Darkness games.

I'm definitely not equipped to wade into the discourse but I have seen a lot of frustration over the film's obsession with fatness.

I could see how one could parse the film as being concerned with obesity and fatness and how it must be a story about lazy man too fat to connect with humanity, how he connect with humanity in spite of man too fat? But it's not really about that. It's more about loss, and regret, and not healing from grief.

It connected with me because I've been there. . I've seen people I love fill the void of loss with self destruction and its heart wrenching, whether if it's an eating disorder or alcoholism. And yeah the movie is overly broad in a lot of places, but the acting and directing and blocking really elevate it. It's not a movie for everyone and it's not something i feel like is some life altering movie that you'll never forget, but it was a pretty good movie.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I'm alone in the house tonight. I guess it's finally time I should watch EEAAO. Which incidentally I read as someone screaming as they fall off a cliff every time.

The whole lore aspect is fucking dumb in John Wick, and I love dumb movies - I've got no problem with most of it.

It's the specific 'wander into the desert following a constellation to meet this guy' is just so so stupid.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    the problem with the bad lore in John Wick is that every scene where someone isn't getting kicked in the face is terminally fucking boring

the opening fight of John Wick 3 rips and then John Wick exits the screen and someone in a suit wanders on screen and somberly says "I'M THE ADJUTICATOR" because every fucking character in this movie has to be The Noun to let you know that worldbuilding is happening

• Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    The whole lore aspect is fucking dumb in John Wick, and I love dumb movies - I've got no problem with most of it.

It's the specific 'wander into the desert following a constellation to meet this guy' is just so so stupid.

how else are you supposed to find your soul mate???

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »

You eat the Merciless Pepper of Quetzalacatenango, also known as the Guatemalan Insanity Pepper

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

You eat the Merciless Pepper of Quetzalacatenango, also known as the Guatemalan Insanity Pepper

wait a minute, dogs don't talk!

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »

wait a minute, dogs don't talk!

nAvatar_6169.jpg

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
This discussion has been closed.