As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pride and Prejudice and Goncharov [Movies]

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Damn straight!

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    The whole lore aspect is fucking dumb in John Wick, and I love dumb movies - I've got no problem with most of it.

It's the specific 'wander into the desert following a constellation to meet this guy' is just so so stupid.

how else are you supposed to find your soul mate???

You eat the Merciless Pepper of Quetzalacatenango, also known as the Guatemalan Insanity Pepper

wait a minute, dogs don't talk!

nAvatar_6169.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrlt1q6sJac

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Drew Barrymore seems like a pretty cool person

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Holy crap, Short Round grew up into a badass

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Holy crap, Short Round grew up into a badass

Was there ever any doubt he would? He was a badass when he was a kid

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    I say this without exaggeration: Drew Barrymore is one of the most entertaining talk show interviewers working. She can jump between disarmingly warm and totally fucking bonkers like she’s switching cameras.

I’ve pretty much watched every clip from her show YouTube has dropped in front of me lately. Her interviews with Jeanette McCurdy and Machine Gun Kelly are both really, really great.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I say this without exaggeration: Drew Barrymore is one of the most entertaining talk show interviewers working. She can jump between disarmingly warm and totally fucking bonkers like she’s switching cameras.

I’ve pretty much watched every clip from her show YouTube has dropped in front of me lately. Her interviews with Jeanette McCurdy and Machine Gun Kelly are both really, really great.

nice try, but you cannot convince me to engage with anything involving machine gun kelly

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Look, I was just as shocked as you are. I still think he’s kind of a dipshit, but that was a heck of an interview on her part.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Ok I'm not totally sure what I just watched, but it was certainly a lot

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Ok I'm not totally sure what I just watched, but it was certainly a lot

It was literally everything.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    My cynical Oscar take is that they're gonna give Ke Huy Quan the oscar for best supporting (child star making a giant comeback, multiple characters) and give Cate Blanchette the best actress Oscar cause they can't resist the "complicated artist done in by power" film

My cynical argument against that is

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
    Having slept on it, I think EEAAO is probably the biggest example of victim of hype I've experienced. It was good and I liked it, performances were great, choreography was fantastic. But I feel like I came away from it feeling like I'd missed something because I was expecting the greatest film of all time. I guess I should just try and watch things sooner if they start getting a lot of good buzz in future, I think I'd have enjoyed it more if I hadn't heard so much about it beforehand.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    For what it's worth, I thought Everything Everywhere was very good but similarly not real life changing

That said, I understand that there are pretty specific cultural elements there that elevate the movie a great deal for a lot of people in a way that I have no personal context for, so on some level maybe it was a foregone conclusion that it would not hit as hard for me personally

Anyway, this is the first time I've seen Ke Huy Quan since the friggin Goonies, and he was probably the standout of the movie for me.

edited January 2023
    Yeah I appreciate (because of hearing other people talk about it, not because I have any real understanding of this shit) that it's a big deal having a film with Asian stars do so well. I didn't comment on it because I didn't want to sound like I'm saying it only did well because of that.

Also I don't want to sound like I'm saying it was 'overhyped' like how people mean it when they think a film isn't as good as people say. Only that my experience of it was affected by having heard so much about it.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Selfishly I'd still be ecstatic if Blanchett won because Tar is also in my top five films of last year, but also a) I also love EEAAO. And more to the point, b) it's hard for me to talk about cynicism with this year's Oscars because the few things I feared have all already happened (Decision to Leave getting no nominations at all, Nope getting no nominations at all, and horror getting snubbed again in general)

I swore last year around this time I was done caring about the ceremony and this doesn't change my mind ultimately. Especially when the minds were made up by voters that struggled to find ten things to like in a year as absolutely goddamn stacked as 2022

Sweeney Tom on
    "The Oscars should be about original ideas."

Wut

I promised a friend I would watch RRR before any other movie…I didn’t know it was 3+ hours long

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Well, yeah. Are you suggesting they could do each R in less than an hour?

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I promised a friend I would watch RRR before any other movie…I didn’t know it was 3+ hours long

Could be 4+ hours and I wouldn't complain.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I was gonna say, if anything it feels faster than its runtime says

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Decision To Leave was sent to die. It was nearly impossible to watch, much less nominate.

wVEsyIc.png
    I don’t mind a long movie it just means I need to really find the time to watch it.

Steve’s house is a cacophony of pets and kids and it can be hard to really find time to sit and watch a 3 hour movie

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I was gonna say, if anything it feels faster than its runtime says

Some movies have like three movies worth of stuff in them and it drags like it, but RRR has so many different stories in it, but somehow it makes the movie move faster instead of everything just having three stories worth of setup before good stuff happens.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    man Lake Mungo is an really amazing film but holy cow did it make me angry and what was with all the dang plot holes?

also all these years i thought it was just about a giant gator

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I don’t mind a long movie it just means I need to really find the time to watch it.

Steve’s house is a cacophony of pets and kids and it can be hard to really find time to sit and watch a 3 hour movie

Well have I got great news for you because RRR has an actual intermission point, so you could pause it at 1.5 hrs & continue it the next day!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Zonugal wrote: »

Well have I got great news for you because RRR has an actual intermission point, so you could pause it at 1.5 hrs & continue it the next day!

Well this is good news then!

https://www.avclub.com/rian-johnson-benoit-blanc-glass-onion-subtitle-1850027778

Rian Johnson hates the “A Knives Out Mystery” subtitle, but was forced to use it by Netflix. Says he would prefer “A Benoit Blanc Mystery”, which is honestly my number one critique of the movie too, so it’s nice to know the stupid name was just corporate overlord meddling.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    100% because Netflix knows more people will watch it because it says Knives Out. People are stupid.

And if it does get more people to watch it and thus make it more successful so that they will keep making more, then good, do it.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    100% because Netflix knows more people will watch it because it says Knives Out. People are stupid.

And if it does get more people to watch it and thus make it more successful so that they will keep making more, then good, do it.

I don't think people are stupid*, but they're more apt to remember the name Knives Out than Benoit Blanc.

* they're pretty stupid. but in this example, I think people will remember the name of a film over the name of a character from the film.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Yeah that title isn't for us, people who enjoy talking about movies in a dedicated movie thread on a messageboard dedicated largely to discussing media (and fast food, I guess)

The title is for the folks who can't remember which murder mystery had James Bond doing that voice. You know, the movie with that one guy? Used to be big in the 80s, kinda went away for a minute, god what was his name. Did that cop show with Chong, I think? Or was it Cheech? Anyway, you know the movie - had that house, and that girl who threw up in a vase. Great movie, whatever it was.

Can't wait for the third film to be called something like Clockwork Eggs: A Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery Mystery

I totally get the reasoning, but Rian’s argument also makes a lot of sense. If he wants to do a bunch of these, it’s smart to start focusing the naming (at least partially) on the main draw. The connective tissue between each movie. Books have done it forever. I couldn’t tell you the name of a single Jack Reacher book off the top of my head, but I know Jack Reacher.

Makes sense to give the pulpy detective character the subtitle spot. And also “A Benoit Blanc Mystery” is not completely nonsensical like “A Knives Out Mystery.”

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I sure he's self-aware and that's more of a wry observation, but if the worst thing that happens after you get tens of millions of dollars to make a project you're actually passionate about is that the studio fucks up the subtitle then you have it pretty good.

Can't wait for the third film to be called something like Clockwork Eggs: A Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery Mystery

And then it all comes together in the fourth movie, The Tell-tale Omelet

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Maddoc wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I thought Everything Everywhere was very good but similarly not real life changing

That said, I understand that there are pretty specific cultural elements there that elevate the movie a great deal for a lot of people in a way that I have no personal context for, so on some level maybe it was a foregone conclusion that it would not hit as hard for me personally

Anyway, this is the first time I've seen Ke Huy Quan since the friggin Goonies, and he was probably the standout of the movie for me.

I mean, it's the only time you would have seen him. He specifically has been not acting for three decades.

But anyway, I don't really think that EEAAO needs you to have a cultural stake in the movie to work on a fundamental level. I'm basically at the opposite end of the "lived" experiences of this movie. White/Male/Straight/Computer based home job. I think the strength of the movie is how, due in part to its maximalist nature, it completely absorbs you and creates an overwhelming sense of connection. I guess I am a parent? But idk, this movie hit my soul and it's not like I have the cultural background to resonate in most of its main, on the surface, touchstones, but i was openly weeping at the end.

Which is what good art should do, it should grab you by the shoulders and shake you around, even if you previously didn't have a connection to the subject.

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
    A duck! wrote: »
    I sure he's self-aware and that's more of a wry observation, but if the worst thing that happens after you get tens of millions of dollars to make a project you're actually passionate about is that the studio fucks up the subtitle then you have it pretty good.

There are certainly worse examples of studio meddling, for sure! But I’m always down for a petty complaint or two.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Yeah I appreciate (because of hearing other people talk about it, not because I have any real understanding of this shit) that it's a big deal having a film with Asian stars do so well. I didn't comment on it because I didn't want to sound like I'm saying it only did well because of that.

Also I don't want to sound like I'm saying it was 'overhyped' like how people mean it when they think a film isn't as good as people say. Only that my experience of it was affected by having heard so much about it.

So to get back to this, it's less about having Asian stars do so well, although who doesn't love that, and more about the specific ways the family dynamic is portrayed within the movie that resonated with a bunch of people on a much more specific level.

Just like, stuff I recognize is super cool to have in that movie but I have no lexicon to engage with it, and so that element of the movie totally passes me by.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    https://www.avclub.com/rian-johnson-benoit-blanc-glass-onion-subtitle-1850027778

Rian Johnson hates the “A Knives Out Mystery” subtitle, but was forced to use it by Netflix. Says he would prefer “A Benoit Blanc Mystery”, which is honestly my number one critique of the movie too, so it’s nice to know the stupid name was just corporate overlord meddling.

I literally posted this exact same thing!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Netflix was flatly correct in this case. Three separate work mates went back and watched Knives Out after really enjoying Glass Onion. People who just watch movies and don't discuss or research them got useful information out of that subtitle.

This discussion has been closed.