As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The most wonderful time for a [BEER]

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Dang, that reminds me, has anyone seen Xocoveza in the wild this year? It's probably my favorite seasonal beer, but I haven't had any luck.

I haven't seen it anywhere here in SoCal either, unfortunately. I wonder if the buyout screwed with their seasonal releases.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Who can get me some Mad Elf? I’ll pay for it and the shipping!

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    These are my current favorites, I have a lot of standard pint glasses too but I'm a sucker for a fun shape.

MUgcdYDl.jpg

PQgPrLkl.jpg

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Why did no one else mention that the Bambule pilsner skull talks? I don't know how they do it...a chip in the bottom of the can?

The skull whispers secrets to me. Is your skull telling you the same secrets? Who can say...

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    Dang, that reminds me, has anyone seen Xocoveza in the wild this year? It's probably my favorite seasonal beer, but I haven't had any luck.

I haven't seen it anywhere here in SoCal either, unfortunately. I wonder if the buyout screwed with their seasonal releases.

Doesn't look like it was brewed this year

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Why did no one else mention that the Bambule pilsner skull talks? I don't know how they do it...a chip in the bottom of the can?

The skull whispers secrets to me. Is your skull telling you the same secrets? Who can say...

Why would we mention that it talks? That's be like mentioning that your dog talks, or your neighbor, or the light that glares on you in the night, telling you about the people aligning against you. It's just a given!

Beer Advent Calendar 2022, Day 21:
    Perlenzauber German Pale Ale from Privatbrauerei H. Egerer, 5.4% ABV

German Pale Ale! A new style for me! Let's see what we have here. A little bitter, a little hoppy. Makes sense, a bit of a floral smell to it. Pretty clear, not super carbonated. Kind of makes sense to me -- it goes along with the various Pale Ale styles I've tried, but is a bit lighter like I've noticed the Germans like in their beers at this end of the spectrum. I'd like to see more hop to it, a bit more bitterness, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at this.
    Also, a very cool can -- a woman, apparently pearl diving, looking at the viewer through an underwater porthole.

7/10

Beer Advent Calendar 2022, Day 22:
    HusarenTrunk from Scholssbrau Rhedar, 5.3%ABV

Another one for great can art. I guess he's supposed to be a hussar? He looks like my old high school marching band uniform!
    Deeper color, hoping for deeper flavor on this one too. I have no idea what a Trunk style beer is, so I can't say if it's following anything. Or is the Trunk part still just part of the name?
    Anyway, tastes pretty good. Bready, just a tiny bit bitter at the end, which leaves a good aftertaste. There's something in the smell I can't place. Is it the breadiness that you can taste? I can't tell for sure, but it's pretty nice. Pretzely maybe?

Anyway, very good, I'd buy this for myself.
    8/10

Beer Advent Calendar 2022, Day 23:
    Flötzinger Hell from Flötzinger Brauerei, 5.1% ABV

Hey, you know what would be great? Another Helles! It has to have been what, 3 days since we had one? This time, let's see how close we can get to absolutely flavorless! You all in? Yeah? Good, then do I have the thing for you, Flötzinger Hell! Pouring? Looks like water! Smelling? Well, it does have a slight beerurine smell, sorry, we'll try to make that be black hole as well. But at least it doesn't taste like beerurine! It doesn't taste like anything at all!
    I've been saving my 1/10 score for if someone actually bottled piss, or if it was something that made me vomit immediately. But this... this absence, this nothingness. I'm getting angry just thinking about it. What have been something tasty and refreshing and invigorating and it's just... empty. It makes me sad.

1/10

This beer Advent calendar was a fun idea but I don't think I'd get it again. It's a lot of very similar beer, which duh I guess, it's all German, but still and also a big can every day turns out to be an awful lot of beer.

Ran across a sub $3 tall boy of 90 Min IPA. This is a good beer for pizza night.

Back to Christmas beers tomorrow.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    I might do it again if I pad attention and saw something with more variety. A friend of mine made a good observation that really good beers are rarely found in samplers. Maybe my own advent calendar next year?

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    Glasses you say, I've got those. First we've got the glasses that come from the Southwest Florida brewery passport. Second is my favorite brewery from my hometown and then a brewery down here and since everybody has pools they have the rubber cups you can't break poolside.

And the final glass is one I got on my Kentucky trip and all of the glasses there looked really cool.

Forgot my most ridiculous glass that I got from the Belgian bar when they were hiving them away when you bought the beer.

Half-yard?

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I need more glasses from breweries around the world

Beer Advent Calendar Day 24

I had finished the Advent Calendar early so I could travel, and saved my review to my drafts. I forgot about the holiday forums flip, and the draft didn't make it to the flip back.
    All I recall is that I liked it a lot. 8 or 9? /10.

Thus endeth the calendar.

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    I had a glass separate from sudden heat earlier this week; now how can i drink my beer :angry:

sig.gif
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Don't drink hot beer would be my first tip.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Don't drink hot beer would be my first tip.

darn it, i knew it was my fault somehow

sig.gif
    edited January 2023
    A hot beer would lose carbonation, so if you had a beer that didn't have a lot of carbonation to begin with, it might heat up ok.

Goddamit yall, you're gonna make me go and do something horrible, aren't you?

Hm. It's badly formatted, but this article says hot beer is already a thing.

chromdom on
    Just promise me you won't microwave your beer like some sort of heathen. Get yourself a nice civilized ohříváček and heat your beer up properly.

n56r9z6zbpxa.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
    I think opening it to let the CO2 dissipate and then heating it slowly on a stovetop would be the way to go

chromdom wrote: »
    A hot beer would lose carbonation, so if you had a beer that didn't have a lot of carbonation to begin with, it might heat up ok.

Goddamit yall, you're gonna make me go and do something horrible, aren't you?

Hm. It's badly formatted, but this article says hot beer is already a thing.

Back when AB own Sea World in San Diego they had a complimentary tasting room. (I lived really close, so me and my roomates bought annual passes on the goal of drinking the cost in free beer.) Aside from the main tastings, there was a "why you should properly store your beer" presentation. As part of this they gave you properly stored, and then a beer that had been stored at over 100 F for a month. It was managed to make Bud even worse.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Flying Dog released a winter flavor box with three flavors in it; I've only tried one, the reason I bought the box in the first place, but friends it does in fact turn out that a smoked maple porter is the absolute perfect beer for me, I need no other beer for the next three months or so.

• JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Mrs TheJokermans dad has sent me home with a cooler for beer I've bought because "Once it gets cold it needs to stay cold!"

I don't have the heart to tell him beer goes from Warm to cold several dozen times before it reaches your fridge at home.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Just had Drekker "Slang Du Jour" a Strawberry Shortcake Sour A La Mode. Didn't like it. I felt the sour notes fought the sweet notes. It actually had a pretty on point strawberry shortcake flavor and mouthfeel, but then you get hit with sour hints, which I don't want with something sweet like that. It has a 4+ on Tapped, but apparently its just not for me. I feel if it was like a Milkshake IPA or NEIPA, it would have been a lot better.

Photo Credit to Untapped.

rltlkkv9yexv.png

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    552f570uu81y.png
    r3935rea71f2.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I think I had some sort of oyster stout years ago, in Boston, but I cannot remember anything about it.

How was it?

I think I had some sort of oyster stout years ago, in Boston, but I cannot remember anything about it.

How was it?

I didn't have the same one jedoc did but there's a brewery around that does one and I think the brineyness adds a lot to the dark malty notes of the stout.

How was it?

Not bad! It pretty much tasted like a dry stout, not notably fishy or briny.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Oyster Stout, still on my bucket list

I'll keep an eye out for next year's Hoptometrist shipment. I'd hang on to a can, but I don't reckon shellfish beer is the kind of thing you really want to age for nine months.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Yeah probably not. Maybe they’ll have one at this beer festival I’m going to in 2 weeks at the science museum!

We bought the VIP tickets so we get an extra hour and some special beers from the vendors

Oyster Stout, still on my bucket list

If youre curious I got you fam.
    https://servicebrewing.com/beer/lincolns-gift-oyster-stout/

Grabbed a fun little Christmas mix 12 from the discount grocery.
    kn0aw1l2pyvm.jpg
    Had the grapefruit IPA and the vanilla espresso stout last night. Elvis Juice was very tasty. I'm particularly fond of grapefruit IPAs.
    50xd710hb5cg.jpg

Thinking this is gonna be a fun little run. Kinda sad I grabbed the last one, at $10 I would have been more than happy to buy 2 or 3.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Those all look good individually, but 8 IPAs and 4 stouts seems odd. Go ahead and make it all IPAs or mix it up a little more.
    Anyway, I'm just feeling petty. Looks like good stuff though!

ir17xjl2psls.jpeg
    Confirmed breweries that will be at the Science Museum!

I can’t fucking wait

I picked up a Sierra Nevada variety case today.
    Ruthless Rye IPA (6.6% ABV, 58 IBU) tastes... funny. At first sip, there was something I didn't care for. Then the rest of the beer kind of coated my mouth. Tasted better on the second sip, but still has an odd coating sensation. I do get the rye, which I normally like in a rye whiskey, but this one... I don't want to say I dislike it. I think I need to revisit it.
    For now, I'll call it a 4/10 but reserve the right to revise in the next little bit.

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Confirmed breweries that will be at the Science Museum!

I can’t fucking wait

That is a serious amount of quality breweries! If you haven't ever had it (since they only distribute through their tap room in NE MPLS), you absolutely need to get Dangerous Man's Peanut Butter Porter. Peanut Butter beers are just difficult pull off in my experience, but somehow they managed to make the most perfectly balanced version of that type of beer I've ever had.

Oh yeah. I’ve had it a few times at different festivals. Dangerous Man is excellent