As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Stompybots? Stompybots. STOMPYBOTS! MW5 on Steam NOW!

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    MechMantis wrote: »
    maraji wrote: »
    I mean, if you get cored or headcapped while in co-op you get moved to a Spectator mode.

That is possibly the most unoffensive patch note I have ever seen.

Oh. I thought they were referring to the experience outside of a mission where you wait for the host to do everything and can’t even see what they are looking at or any other context.

They added in full mechlab and store access for people awhile ago! If the host hasn't enabled that for you, ask them to turn it on?

Where is this magic button

Invite person to game, once joined go back to the social menu and click permit by their name in the group. It should show "mechlab access permitted" under their name when enabled. Social menu is the 3 person icon in the top left of the screen.

When I last played that let people access the mechlab but not the store - they couldn't buy anything?

That's correct. Only the person running the company controls purchases. There's mods to allow it of course, but you'll want to discuss ground rules about it with your coop group to avoid inadvertently bankrupting yourselves because everybody decided to go on a spending spree at the same time.

Yeah I apologize, I was mistaken. The current friend group I'm playing with DID mod their saves and I conflated those memories.

Mechlab access is available vanilla, not store.

• Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    I mean, if you get cored or headcapped while in co-op you get moved to a Spectator mode.

That is possibly the most unoffensive patch note I have ever seen.

Oh. I thought they were referring to the experience outside of a mission where you wait for the host to do everything and can’t even see what they are looking at or any other context.

They added in full mechlab and store access for people awhile ago! If the host hasn't enabled that for you, ask them to turn it on?

Where is this magic button

Invite person to game, once joined go back to the social menu and click permit by their name in the group. It should show "mechlab access permitted" under their name when enabled. Social menu is the 3 person icon in the top left of the screen.

When I last played that let people access the mechlab but not the store - they couldn't buy anything?

That's correct. Only the person running the company controls purchases. There's mods to allow it of course, but you'll want to discuss ground rules about it with your coop group to avoid inadvertently bankrupting yourselves because everybody decided to go on a spending spree at the same time.

Yeah I apologize, I was mistaken. The current friend group I'm playing with DID mod their saves and I conflated those memories.

Mechlab access is available vanilla, not store.

My complaint is probably rooted in the fact that I’m helping out an 8 year old with ADHD (and more!) in co-op on his game and it’s kinda frustrating to not be able to even see the starmap or objectives or store or barracks while waiting around because there’s a bird outside or his sister walked by or the name “hunchback “ sounds funny.

That’s a me problem, but I really don’t see why players 2-4 don’t get to even see anything beyond set up ‘mechs (though I’m happy that is in, at least).

The lack of progression beyond the host isn’t bad for me, but it does feel like you’re playing a Pokémon game as Pikachu. Or maybe Snorlax. Depends on what year it is.

• Options
    Okay, so less contentious question:
    I often use the AI pilots in mechs with long range weapons as they seem to be just as accurate at that range, but take less damage. Does that hold up when I add range and projectile speed upgrades?

Hitscan weapons are likely unaffected, as are lockon missile types, but AC/PPC/rifle/SRM would impact differently. It probably doesn’t matter much except at very long range on small targets, and I think the AI usually goes for the torso anyway. Just wondering if anyone knows.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Okay, so less contentious question:
    I often use the AI pilots in mechs with long range weapons as they seem to be just as accurate at that range, but take less damage. Does that hold up when I add range and projectile speed upgrades?

Hitscan weapons are likely unaffected, as are lockon missile types, but AC/PPC/rifle/SRM would impact differently. It probably doesn’t matter much except at very long range on small targets, and I think the AI usually goes for the torso anyway. Just wondering if anyone knows.

I'm not aware of any issues with the AI not handling those upgrades. They will be more accurate with upgrades since the target will have less time to change position before it hits. Just make sure you aren't putting different types of weapons that would have different aim points or ranges in the same fire group.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Rise of Rasalhague trailer:

https://youtu.be/XfiI-BJnP2I

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I've been playing HBS Battletech lately, and I've got a question about the arm mods.
    Do they affect all melee damage, or is it only melee damage caused by that limb? Like, if strap an arm mod onto a Hunchback, and it kicks a Commando (as opposed to punching it like a Mech Pilot), does the mod affect that melee attack?

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    99.99% sure the visual doesn't matter there, it's just a straight damage increase in all cases

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    I've been playing HBS Battletech lately, and I've got a question about the arm mods.
    Do they affect all melee damage, or is it only melee damage caused by that limb? Like, if strap an arm mod onto a Hunchback, and it kicks a Commando (as opposed to punching it like a Mech Pilot), does the mod affect that melee attack?

Melee damage is generic. Doesn't matter if you punch, kick, or headbutt, it's all the same.

• Options

Melee damage is generic. Doesn't matter if you punch, kick, or headbutt, it's all the same.

Thanks for verifying. I assumed it would be generic (since there's no way to specify "punch with the left arm") but wanted to verify.

• Options
    On the other hand that also means a weaponless, armless, one-legged enemy mech is still a potentially lethal threat as some of my former pilots would attest.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    On the other hand that also means a weaponless, armless, one-legged enemy mech is still a potentially lethal threat as some of my former pilots would attest.

MFW I get decapitated by getting headbutted by said mech

• Options
    Orca wrote: »

I'm not sure how the Catapult groin-kicked that mech so hard it's head exploded, but it was pretty cool to see.

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    1wnld0btkvjq.gif

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    MWO: perhaps because I'm playing in lower tiers with friends right now, but boy have missiles come back in fashion the past few days. Or maybe there's just a 3/4-man we keep hitting that run 2-3 assault LRMers and a NARCer, but it really reminded me why some maps are just won or lost at mech pick.

• Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

I'm not sure how the Catapult groin-kicked that mech so hard it's head exploded, but it was pretty cool to see.

I can count on one hand how many times that happened over something like 200 hours, but I'll probably remember it for a very long time. RIP Behemoth...

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    For my Warhammer 7A. I know they are defaulted for using PPCs, but with two large lasers, a half dozen mediums, a SRM 4 & 6 and a machine gun, I can literally roast any mech in my view at medium range and still have the heat management for 3-4 alphas depending on the pilot skills.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    What is the state of MW5 right now? Have been thinking of getting it, but I have heard enough negative that I'm not sure if it's worth the price yet.

causality.png
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Gokerz wrote: »
    What is the state of MW5 right now? Have been thinking of getting it, but I have heard enough negative that I'm not sure if it's worth the price yet.

It’s big, the dlcs are worth grabbing, and a lot of the rough spots have been ironed out, with an upcoming dlc launch promising to tweak things a little more for the better. It’s not a perfect game but it’s a great way to get your stomp on, and if you have any co-op partners it’s great. There isn’t really a game like it on the market right now.

Don’t let the negativity here turn you off. Make your decision based on if the game fits what you’re looking for. I think it’s on game pass, too, if you want a safe way to try.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Gokerz wrote: »

It depends on what you want out of the game.

If you want to feel like you’re piloting a big stompy robot it’s the best game for that that has been made to date.

If you want a deep campaign with a good plot and a well structured main campaign then it’s really lacking.

The gameplay loop is
    • 1) find a mission on the map: missions are random except for a few main campaign missions but you can see the types before you go.
    • 2) contract the mission for salvage/insurance/aid/cash money
    • 3) do the mission
    • 4) collect reward and choose salvage. Increase your rank and negotiation points
    • 5) repeat 1-4 until your mechs are too beat up to continue
    • 6) upgrade/buy/repair mechs

There are obviously intricacies in there but that is the fundamentals. It’s not complicated and whether or not you will like it hinges almost entirely on whether or not you like the feeling of piloting a bit stompy robot. Which is really good. You can step on tanks and walk over buildings and flatten infantry* and punch mechs in the face.

*with an official mod. It’s pretty intensive on systems though because individual infantry are their own little polygonal models.

The expansions add more ways to advance, new mechs, weapons, and a few unique mission chains. (Some of which must be done when it’s time to do them) but are largely extraneous aside from that. (They aren’t bad though).

A really good thing about MW5 is that you can see if the games stompyness is right for you by getting a month of Xbox gamepass for PC(I think it’s still on there) which will give you access to the base game. And if you MP with someone who has the game you can utilize and play through all the expansion content too.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    January MWO Patch notes

TLDR:

A bunch of new Platinum variants.

Hatchetman bundle update (as per devlog).

Maps:
    • Map changes include adding invisible walls to deal with certain people who like to hide up high on the edge of the map and spam blue lasers.
    • Fixing several small issues like map boundaries not matching OOB warnings, floating buildings/trees
    • Adding paths to Viridian Bog and Forest Colony.
    • Adding more ramps to Canyon Network.
    • Emerald Vale lost some trees
    • Crimson Strait had conquest points moved.

Weapons:
    • AC/10 & C-AC/10 cooldown buffs
    • AC/20 & C-AC/20 cooldown and velocity buffs
    • Heavy Gauss cooldown buffs

Skill Tree:
    • ECM nodes nerfed
    • Jump Jet Heat Shielding buffed

Agility:
    • Mechs with less than 30% torso pitch were normalized to 30%
    • Torso pitch speed normalized to 72% of yaw speed.

Mechs
    Some nerfs, some buffs, some quirk cleanup.
    • Mist Lynx
    • Incubus
    • Raven
    • Panther
    • Viper
    • Arctic Wolf
    • Vindicator
    • Hunchback IIC
    • Hellfire
    • Crusader
    • Hellbringer
    • Rifleman IIC
    • Sunspider
    • Timberwolf
    • Orion IIC
    • Warhammer IIC
    • Marauder IIC
    • Warhawk

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    • Emerald Vale lost some trees
    • Mechs with less than 30% torso pitch were normalized to 30%
    Excellent.

• Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Throwing in the towel on HBS Battletech. Steam says 510 hours, though I know lots of that was idle time. I noticed I was basically just trying to get a Stone Rhino or Kodiak to drop, while also doing the easiest missions I could, and didn't want to keep going.

• Options
    If you were wondering, The new Hatchetman warhorn noise is a clanging noise and then a voice shouting “Timber!”

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    monkeykins wrote: »
    Throwing in the towel on HBS Battletech. Steam says 510 hours, though I know lots of that was idle time. I noticed I was basically just trying to get a Stone Rhino or Kodiak to drop, while also doing the easiest missions I could, and didn't want to keep going.

<Salutes!>

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Ok so like. There are some fundamental misunderstandings in how some of those games work and the systems by which they operate.

You cannot have an item bid system and maintain a set progression. You may not trade high tier items in games like Diablo and PoE and have those items be immediately usable. Items are level locked in PoE and Diablo and the game system is not build around acquiring a stable of items but advancing through the most difficult content and achieving the highest level the fastest in the new season.

So you cannot maintain progression in Mechwarrior by mixing a set progression system and a system where you get some of the rewards of the hosts mission. (And doing this all but requires you multiply the reward structure because with the current system this will lock all players out of acquiring certain types of equipment!). Unless you also add a level system and lock out mech and equipment use based on that.

Edit: show your work. Design the system. Tell us how it works.

PoE and Diablo are competitive online ARPGs. MW5 is a single or coop tank simulator. I can't edit a file and get a trillion cbills like I can in MW5. There is no player competitive element nor even a trade system.

The lack of shared loot disincentivizes coop, unlike more recent Borderlands entries.

A problem of most Mechwarrior games is that mech weight ends up being the progression. I would love a battalion level game where stuff like light lances would have a purpose. Scouting, grabbing objectives, chasing down a VIP in a fast car, etc.

Get rid of cheap/free dropships. They are supposed to be rare and even more expensive than the cargo they carry.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Yay! This mission was meant to completely pay off my morale 2 choice this month!
    6vazfhnghui3.jpg
    Fuuuuuuuuuuck!
    q9jighvjol9j.jpg
    FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!
    t2phkmau6g1p.jpg
    I didn't get the shadowhawk piece. edit: Oh and I went into the next mission having forgotten to install the cockpit mod I just bought.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    The lesson here is always pick max salvage.

• Options
    Cobalt60 wrote: »

That's when your opposition will be just a bunch of Javelins even though it's a 4 skull

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Y'know, I think I might like to see a Mechwarrior game with a damage model similar to War Thunder.

It could be interesting, it would very likely change how everything plays. I'd imagine you'd need to think far more tactically, take things slower and engage at further distances.

But then again I absolutely want a Mechwarrior Mercenaries Manager 2023 game full of spreadsheets, requisition forms and supplier contracts, so what do I know about fun?

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Y'know, I think I might like to see a Mechwarrior game with a damage model similar to War Thunder.

It could be interesting, it would very likely change how everything plays. I'd imagine you'd need to think far more tactically, take things slower and engage at further distances.

But then again I absolutely want a Mechwarrior Mercenaries Manager 2023 game full of spreadsheets, requisition forms and supplier contracts, so what do I know about fun?

I think both you and Nips would buy a game you just described.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »

So that’s two sales!

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    something something classified battlemech plans

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »

Make that 3 people who'd buy it.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    The problems with a war Thunder damage model are many. But like. Lasers don’t get modeled well. And the big one is that mech shape would mean that many mechs quickly failed despite being just sticks of numbers for tabletop rules. I don’t think people would like super weak mechs or mechs that actually moved like mechs are supposed to be able to.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Cobalt60 wrote: »

I deliberately ignored that rule because I was like "oh hey that'll pay for the whole month and then I can do whatever I like"

As it turned out the money left over after the repair of the Blackjack still ended up paying for the whole month so I'm still good, it was just very painful to miss out on the shadowhawk piece (which shouldn't have rocked up it was a low skull mission).

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Potentially interesting thing re: Timber Wolf and other mechs with big missile boxes

ulmfcr7drhav.png

imub1oetcsku.png

f8bpqpni7crr.png

Currently the meta builds on the Timbie do not use the missile box shoulders. This could bring them back.

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Wait a damn minute - what kind of blasphemous shit is a Tmberwolf without the missile boxes?!?

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    Bullhead wrote: »
    Wait a damn minute - what kind of blasphemous shit is a Tmberwolf without the missile boxes?!?

You mean my heat sink arrays to go with these quad PPCs?

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I love the concept of the sleepy awesome. 6 PPCs which always shut down your mech... But its six PPC shots!

• Options
    6? I settle for no fewer than 11 good sir.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTlXw2qGB2w