As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Nadir, Scorchlands & You can Do!mino out today!

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Didn't the game also tack on a much more aggressive monetisation than their previous titles, but only after it went out of early access?

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

Enigmatic survival MMO The Day Before was set for release on March 1st, but devs Fntastic have announced that it’s slipping to November 10th due to trademark concerns. In the latest unusual twist in The Day Before's development, Fntastic shared a statement explaining the delay that credits it to a US trademark filing that the company overlooked. Oddly, The Day Before’s store page also seems to have disappeared from Steam within the past day

That does mean there’ll be a delay before The Day Before, a game we've seen essentially nothing of that's worked on by paid and unpaid volunteers, sees the light of day. Fntastic said they wanted to ensure they “release the best game possible”, which I reckon means they still want to call The Day Before, though replies to their tweet are more... incredulous. The trademark concerns mean that a reveal of unedited footage of the game in action, announced for later this month, won't go ahead in the short term. “For the gameplay video, we will consult with lawyers first, and then we can publish it,” Fntastic said in a follow-up tweet.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/steam-wishlist-hit-the-day-befores-been-delayed-and-its-store-page-removed

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AO280Mbchjg

this video was released a few weeks back, doesn't really show much though

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    “Paid and unpaid volunteers?”

• Options
    Earlier this week, an update to Fntastic’s website revealed that “Fntastic’s culture is based on the idea of volunteering. This means that every Fntastic member is a volunteer.”

The website went on to explain that while “full-time volunteers” are essentially paid workers, “part-time volunteers” are unpaid developers that are instead given “cool rewards, participation certificates, and free codes” for their work.

Fntastic spoke to Eurogamer and said that “essentially, the word ‘volunteer’ comes from the Latin word ‘voluntarius’, meaning ‘willing’ or ‘of one’s own choice’.”

“Anyone who is open to life can become a volunteer with Fntastic, and there are two types of volunteers,” they continued. “Today we have over 100 full-time internal volunteers (employees) from Singapore, Russia, the Netherlands, Thailand, Ukraine, Finland, Kazakhstan, and Belarus who work as engineers, artists, HR professionals, etc. We also have 40 external US and worldwide volunteers (supporters) who help with testing and reviewing our products at a very early stage.”

https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/the-day-before-developer-defends-use-of-unpaid-volunteers-3258652

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Ikonei Island just got a multiplayer update. It's a very cute, fun game about restoring an island from naughty slimes

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I have been playing a bit of Genshin impact

Seems kinda fun

a little grindy though for sure

• Options
    I have been playing a bit of Genshin impact

Seems kinda fun

a little grindy though for sure

i am too! send me your UID and I will invade your world and bonk your slimes

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    Earlier this week, an update to Fntastic’s website revealed that “Fntastic’s culture is based on the idea of volunteering. This means that every Fntastic member is a volunteer.”

The website went on to explain that while “full-time volunteers” are essentially paid workers, “part-time volunteers” are unpaid developers that are instead given “cool rewards, participation certificates, and free codes” for their work.

Fntastic spoke to Eurogamer and said that “essentially, the word ‘volunteer’ comes from the Latin word ‘voluntarius’, meaning ‘willing’ or ‘of one’s own choice’.”

“Anyone who is open to life can become a volunteer with Fntastic, and there are two types of volunteers,” they continued. “Today we have over 100 full-time internal volunteers (employees) from Singapore, Russia, the Netherlands, Thailand, Ukraine, Finland, Kazakhstan, and Belarus who work as engineers, artists, HR professionals, etc. We also have 40 external US and worldwide volunteers (supporters) who help with testing and reviewing our products at a very early stage.”

https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/the-day-before-developer-defends-use-of-unpaid-volunteers-3258652

Fucking grotesque.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

Fucking grotesque.

Is this one of those ways where they don't say 'employee' so they can avoid providing any kind of benefits?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Finally a better option than employing a ton of "independent contractors"

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Fucking grotesque.

Is this one of those ways where they don't say 'employee' so they can avoid providing any kind of benefits?

The paid “volunteer” thing might be how places like Walmart call their employees “associates”. Still subject to laws and shit, but transparently attempting to appeal to egos to turn employee attitudes away from guillotines.

Everything about this is infuriating, sickening.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr-_j1miLzY
    In Handyman Corporation you become the owner of a business where you handle a variety of jobs in cleaning, maintenance, design, and construction. Accept contracts, play minigames to perform every task required. Then expand your company – buy spare parts, tools, train skills, and manage
    20230125 Handyman Corporation (Simulation Singleplayer Casual 3D Economy )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aE0M74ThkI
    Harness the almighty powers of god-like Warriors, Clerics, and Mages, with a unique style that mashes a Medieval-inspired setting, Fantastical items and abilities…and…EVEN POWERFUL ROBOTS! Master siege weapons and cataclysmic spells to control the battlefield and destroy the enemy's core!
    20230124 Warlander (Free to Play Action Hack and Slash Multiplayer )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6skG7ykCiY
    Forspoken follows the journey of Frey, a young New Yorker transported to the beautiful and cruel land of Athia. In search of a way home, Frey must use her newfound magical abilities to traverse sprawling landscapes and battle monstrous creatures.
    20230124 Forspoken (Exploration RPG Parkour Female Protagonist)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22hPhWik4Zg
    Become a Ghost, fighting against a rogue spec ops faction called the Wolves, in the latest Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon®!
    20230123 Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® Breakpoint (Action Adventure Shooter Third-Person Shoote)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9m_spCsoaw
    Begin your journey to become a mighty samurai mage! In a blend of adventure, strategy and deckbuilding gameplay, choose how you will follow the way of the Mahoken. Explore the Celestial Islands, build your deck, battle challenging demons, and protect the land from the forces of corruption.
    20230123 Mahokenshi (Turn-Based Tactics RPG Strategy Turn-Based +)

Brolo on
  • Options
    Ubisoft is re-releasing a bunch of their games on steam, hence ghost recon breakpoint

as always, a note about Ubisoft:
    Shortly after Valerie arrived at Ubisoft Montreal in 2018, home to the hit Far Cry and Assassin’s Creed franchises, she says she was sexually harassed and the victim of racist remarks. She reported the incidents, but says nothing was done. The harassment happened again last year, only this time she hoped the company, then in the midst of a very public reckoning with accusations of sexual misconduct and the failure of its workplace culture, might respond differently. But after filing complaints through multiple reporting tools and completing half a dozen interviews with supervisors and HR managers, Valerie never received a resolution to her case. Earlier this year, she decided to resign.

“I wish that I could have continued my Ubisoft journey, but I was really affected by all the harassment, discriminaton, and toxicity I encountered and how it was handled,” she told Kotaku in an interview. “I really hope that the situation will get better for Ubisoft, but they are not there yet.”

https://kotaku.com/despite-filing-harassment-reports-employees-say-ubisof-1847907748

they continue to be mired in shit from their corporate leadership

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular

Fucking grotesque.
    to be fair, it's entirely possible these people are fictitious

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Put NZ in that list, cowards

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Put NZ in that list, cowards

but no one lives in NZ it's just full of sheep

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    But wouldn’t nz have the same time as Sydney?

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »

NZ is two hours ahead

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    They’ve basically gone out of their way to say “this is just like forza, red fall and elder scrolls online stuff so don’t get too excited”, so I’m not anticipating much

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

NZers want to know your location

(So that can murder you).

More seriously: We're GMT+12, first country to see the sunrise etc, superior future people who demand your fealty

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

More seriously: We're GMT+12, first country to see the sunrise etc, superior future people who demand your fealty

So all my day's problems are your fault, then.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    asofyeun wrote: »
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    What's up with Darktide? I played a couple rounds with my friend at release and it was fun.

fatshark released an incomplete game, more or less

it crashes a lot, the crafting system wasn't implemented, the loot system is not good, the penances (achievements) are not great, it crashes a lot, endgame content is pretty thin, veteran seems like its the superior class in most respects

it reminded me of the anthem release - the core gameplay is pretty fun! everything around it sucks, though. give it 6 months to a year and it'll probably be good then

It didn't have private lobbies till recently either. So I hope you like playing with pubs. There's the IPv6 issues and so many more. There are folks in the darktide thread who still can't even play the game due to an error.

Problem is, that's kind of Fatshark's MO. They are easily in the tier of "wait a year to sort out problems and buy on deep discount". The only way I figure they survive is by working with IP's folks love, so you get earlier adopters. I'd imagine if they tried to make their own IP for a game (like Anthem), it would fail hard.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I haven't really checked in on Darktide much at all, but I know when it released they put out an announcement saying they were in the process of overhauling the UI

And that felt like a good indication of how hot that game was coming in

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    lol I tried to switch forspoken demo to normal quality from low and it crashed

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    the biggest issue with darktide atm is you can see everything the game has to offer in about 5 hours including ... every single mission, which is just not a good place to be for a game designed around being played for triple digit hour counts

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Prohass wrote: »
    They’ve basically gone out of their way to say “this is just like forza, red fall and elder scrolls online stuff so don’t get too excited”, so I’m not anticipating much

Hearing the Giant Bomb folks compare Redfall to Far Cry 2 took the game from "don't care" straight to "holy shit put it in my veins" immediately.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    The only Arkane games I've actually beaten are Dishonored (minus the last DLC chapter) and The Fantastic Journey of Magic Boy and His Mighty Boot (Dark Messiah) but I do hope Redfall does well for them. I'd hate for "a studio that produces primarily single player experiences dies after the parent company asks them to make a multiplayer flop" to happen to them.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/s9aCwCKgkLo

People Make Games interview valve employees to find out "Hey? What's the company actually fuckin' like?"

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular

More seriously: We're GMT+12, first country to see the sunrise etc,

When I was there a while back, we went to East Cape to see exactly that:

v831uiyboklb.jpg

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/s9aCwCKgkLo

People Make Games interview valve employees to find out "Hey? What's the company actually fuckin' like?"

A friend of mine worked for Valve for a good while, and while I’m not comfortable sharing any specific anecdotes, one recurring theme is that the hiring process is fucking bonkers in the worst possible way.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    these people don't give a shit about power saving modes, they've got researchers/interns whoever that sit around brainstorming new things to get mad at on TV based on whatever headlines they can find and they madlibs their way to a viral video

Small note: the new power mode is good!

Before you basically had either “higher power, everything is updated in the background while the console sleeps and it wakes instantly” or “almost no power used, mostly no background updates while asleep, wake-up takes like 20 seconds”

Now the low power setting allows more background updates, and they’re testing Active Hours so you can set when you want the console to wake instantly and when to use low power. It’s just a better situation overall!

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Tango Gameworks just announced their new game Hi-Fi Rush, and it's out TONIGHT and included on Game Pass

Rhythm-based character action game/platformer with a rock soundtrack

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    The Xbox direct thing is going on
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-Et8r1413Y

A new game from Tango Gameworks was announced, called Hi-fi Rush. I had the stream on mute for most of the segment, but it appears to be a Devil May Cry-style action game with some musical elements.

It's out on Gamepass today.

• Options
    JINX

• Options
    You owe me a coke

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Summary of the Xbox thing:
    q5dwjye2bvpl.png

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Hi fi Rush looks interesting. I'm excited to try it out since I have game pass and its out in a few hours?

Redfall I'm really jonesing for another co-op pve experience and it looks like a dead island style open world shooter with rando loot. I'm down.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Fig-D wrote: »
    The only Arkane games I've actually beaten are Dishonored (minus the last DLC chapter) and The Fantastic Journey of Magic Boy and His Mighty Boot (Dark Messiah) but I do hope Redfall does well for them. I'd hate for "a studio that produces primarily single player experiences dies after the parent company asks them to make a multiplayer flop" to happen to them.

You should play Prey.

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    that's an adorable robo-kitty and i want one

This discussion has been closed.