As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Nadir, Scorchlands & You can Do!mino out today!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Everyone should play Prey.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    everyone should prey Play

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    you motherfucker

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    btw, here's the rest of Game Pass for the month: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2023/01/25/game-pass-january-2023-wave-2-announce/
    Coming soon:
    • Hi-Fi Rush (Cloud, PC, and Xbox Series X|S) - Today
    • GoldenEye 007 (Cloud and Console) – January 27
    • Roboquest (Game Preview) (Console) – January 30 (already on PC Game Pass)
    • Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition (Cloud and Console) – January 31 (already on PC Game Pass)
    • Inkulinati (Game Preview) (Cloud, Console, and PC) – January 31
    • JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure All-Star Battle R (Cloud, Console, and PC) – January 31
    • Darkest Dungeon (Cloud, Console, and PC) – February 2
    • Grid Legends (Cloud) EA Play – February 2
    • Hot Wheels Unleashed – Game of the Year Edition (Cloud, Console, and PC) – February 7
    Leaving January 31st:
    • Donut County (Cloud, Console, and PC)
    • Taiko no Tatsujin: The Drum Master (Console and PC)
    • Telling Lies (Cloud, Console, and PC)
    • Worms WMD (Cloud, Console, and PC)
    Taiko no Tasujin feels like it was on Game Pass for like 6 months?

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Hot Wheels was announced for like November. Very strange situation. Darkest Dungeon returns after being absent a while, Outer Wilds style.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Folks, if you have any interest in Sam Barlow, FMV games, narrative detective adventures, or the COINTELPRO, Telling Lies is a masterpiece. Play it before it leaves Gamepass.

Immortality is definitely a bigger, more ambitious, towering piece of work, but Telling Lies is clever, concise, efficient, and razor sharp.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Fig-D wrote: »
    The only Arkane games I've actually beaten are Dishonored (minus the last DLC chapter) and The Fantastic Journey of Magic Boy and His Mighty Boot (Dark Messiah) but I do hope Redfall does well for them. I'd hate for "a studio that produces primarily single player experiences dies after the parent company asks them to make a multiplayer flop" to happen to them.

You should play Prey.

I plan to. I was doing an Arkane marathon because I own all of their games but hadn't beaten any outside of Dark Messiah.

Bowed out of Arx Fatalis pretty quick. Too old and clunky for me and I don't have nostalgia for it to push me forward.

Did a low Chaos run of Dishonored because I appreciated having the option. It was more of a puzzle game as I tried to play without being detected as well as not killing anyone. Then I took and completed a side quest that ended in a duel, ruining the no kill run. Started the Daud DLC but I found the mission quality to be kind of inconsistent so I lost interest. I want to complete those last two missions just so I can say I did, but I'm also kind of over it. I might just look up a speed run so I can see how I can quickly complete them. May skip some objectives but I'm not as concerned with that anymore. From what I understand, everything you need to know about the Brigmore Witches is explained in Dishonored 2.

Prey is next, but I'm taking a break from the Arkane games for a bit. I did start Prey a few years back but the beginning of the game past the narrative intro didn't grab me and I think I got hooked on something else at the time.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    But wouldn’t nz have the same time as Sydney?

NZers want to know your location

(So that can murder you).

More seriously: We're GMT+12, first country to see the sunrise etc, superior future people who demand your fealty

So all my day's problems are your fault, then.

sacrificed on the alatar of BURD POWER, yes.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Folks, if you have any interest in Sam Barlow, FMV games, narrative detective adventures, or the COINTELPRO, Telling Lies a masterpiece. Play it before it leaves Gamepass.

Immortality is definitely a bigger, more ambitious, towering piece of work, but Telling Lies is clever, concise, efficient, and razor sharp.

A true masterpiece of meticulously dismantling the delusions of a Certain Type of Person Who Sucks

Really peeling back every possible layer of a shitty onion and going, "None of this is tenable, there is nothing to save here, worldviews and behaviors like this have no pathway to improving the world and can ONLY hurt people, trust absolutely nobody who thinks like this," just wildly and unflinchingly effective character work, gosh what a thing. One of my favorite villains in all of gaming is in Telling Lies.

And man are they delivered some satisfying bits of comeuppance.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/s9aCwCKgkLo

People Make Games interview valve employees to find out "Hey? What's the company actually fuckin' like?"

A friend of mine worked for Valve for a good while, and while I’m not comfortable sharing any specific anecdotes, one recurring theme is that the hiring process is fucking bonkers in the worst possible way.

Dammit, i'm really, really curious now.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I played and finished Prey but I was sold a bill of goods where I'd be smacking every doubled up object for fear of mimics and then it turns out that actually I'd never have to wonder if something is a mimic because the instant I stepped into the room they'd all break camouflage and run at me

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Folks, if you have any interest in Sam Barlow, FMV games, narrative detective adventures, or the COINTELPRO, Telling Lies a masterpiece. Play it before it leaves Gamepass.

A true masterpiece of meticulously dismantling the delusions of a Certain Type of Person Who Sucks

Really peeling back every possible layer of a shitty onion and going, "None of this is tenable, there is nothing to save here, worldviews and behaviors like this have no pathway to improving the world and can ONLY hurt people, trust absolutely nobody who thinks like this," just wildly and unflinchingly effective character work, gosh what a thing. One of my favorite villains in all of gaming is in Telling Lies.

And man are they delivered some satisfying bits of comeuppance.

god he sucks SO MUCH

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Been playing Inscryption lately, I have to make a post because I just got really close to beating
    the moon. I beat the trapper for the first time on that same run, got through the first two stages, and then got within TWO POINTS of beating the moon! And I realized later that I could have beaten it if I had just played some cards in a different order, or understood its behavior better. Argh!

I did appreciate that the opponent got all annoyed because I had a totem that made my squirrels stinky, which made the moon's power go down, and he had to comment on it. 'Stinky squirrels are affecting the moon?? That doesn't even make sense!!'

The style/vibe and meta stuff of this game is pretty cool, but I don't think I really like playing the actual card game all that much. I need a term to describe that type of 'rogue-lite' where there's this branching but then re-merging path, and different sometimes random things happen, and you can't go back. I am not really into that style, it just feels like randomness plays a very big role in how well you do. I much prefer the traditional roguelike style where you have the full run of a dungeon of whatever and can do things as you want to, and come back to areas and all that. I'll probably keep playing this though.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Been playing Inscryption lately, I have to make a post because I just got really close to beating
    the moon. I beat the trapper for the first time on that same run, got through the first two stages, and then got within TWO POINTS of beating the moon! And I realized later that I could have beaten it if I had just played some cards in a different order, or understood its behavior better. Argh!

I did appreciate that the opponent got all annoyed because I had a totem that made my squirrels stinky, which made the moon's power go down, and he had to comment on it. 'Stinky squirrels are affecting the moon?? That doesn't even make sense!!'

The style/vibe and meta stuff of this game is pretty cool, but I don't think I really like playing the actual card game all that much. I need a term to describe that type of 'rogue-lite' where there's this branching but then re-merging path, and different sometimes random things happen, and you can't go back. I am not really into that style, it just feels like randomness plays a very big role in how well you do. I much prefer the traditional roguelike style where you have the full run of a dungeon of whatever and can do things as you want to, and come back to areas and all that. I'll probably keep playing this though.

I look forward to your continued impressions

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    Everyone should play Prey.

which one?

This one?

• Options

well it's not much of a secret if you tell us about it, dinguses

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Greetings GAMER, would you like to know about FEATURE?

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I mean its nice to know a feature from the original is in the new game, with some added stuff of a new necromorph and a new ending?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular

More seriously: We're GMT+12, first country to see the sunrise etc, superior future people who demand your fealty
    If New Zealand is a real place then why don't I ever see it on any maps.

Checkmate.

• Options
    Gundi wrote: »

Checkmate.

no no check mate. New Zealand is on all the maps, even the forbidden ones.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

Checkmate.

You've gotta hold maps of the southern hemisphere upside down for em to work

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    I hope the 30fps ray tracing mode is decent. I feel like dead space is a game id be fine with going for 30fps with more pretties for the atmosphere, but it depends on how well the frame rate is implemented. Ive played some 30fps games where it really feels jittery and awful, and others that smooth it out and its not noticeable

Prohass on
  • Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    I hope the 30fps ray tracing mode is decent. I feel like dead space is a game id be fine with going for 30fps with more pretties for the atmosphere, but it depends on how well the frame rate is implemented. Ive played some 30fps games where it really feels jittery and awful, and others that smooth it out and its not noticeable

I must have broken eyes, outside of like massive FPS dips I don't really see the difference on most frame rate stuff.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    I'm the opposite, I'm hyper sensitive to framerates and frame drops. More so with first person games because I get motion sickness pretty easily and unstable framerates from that perspective trigger a queasy feeling.

I'll still notice it and get irritated by it in other games, but something like Elden Ring on console is super playable for me while Rage 2 made me sick almost immediately.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    that HiFi Rush game looks very fun and I hope it gets onto a non-Xbox console

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Checkmate.

no no check mate. New Zealand is on all the maps, even the forbidden ones.

Is new Zealand one of those places they still spell it cheque?

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Also I've seen plenty of maps of New Zealand

I own a copy of Lord of the rings

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Does Telling Lies have a 'Jump to start/end' option like Immortality? I'm on controller and it doesn't seem like it.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Does Telling Lies have a 'Jump to start/end' option like Immortality? I'm on controller and it doesn't seem like it.

It does not, but I remember reading that someone found a key command (maybe a glitch?) to instantly rewind to the start of a clip.

Fake edit: found it. Just note, I haven’t actually tried it, but here you go:

“Press play on a clip. As the screen fades to black to show the clip immediately hold left trigger (rewind) until the video appears. When the video loads, quickly release the trigger and press it again immediately and hold for 2 seconds and release it again. When you release this time, it should be paused. Hit the play button and it should jump to the beginning.”

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    I was watching some folks play Hi-Fi Rush earlier and it looks like it kicks ass but there's one thing that would not leave me alone
    When you're doing dialogue you have a little talking head sprite, and your talking sprite:
    njMj1Yi.png

is just this fucking picture of Ross
    Et8_kuKVgAIJjsc.jpg

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    get a load of that guy

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    get a load of that guy

What guy?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Hi Fi Rush looks fucking luscious next time my hands are on an upswing I'll give it a go. I am in love with these visuals and I really liked crypt of the necrodancer, the whole idea sounds like my jam.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Preacher wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »

I must have broken eyes, outside of like massive FPS dips I don't really see the difference on most frame rate stuff.

The issue is not only is there like a hard technical difference between 30 and 60, there’s more subtle differences in how they’re executed, from art to like smoothing stuff. A 30fps game can look fine or atrocious depending on how smoothly it’s achieved.

Also 60fps for shooters is kind of mandatory for me, I’m fine with third person games, depending on the gameplay, being a well done and smooth 30, but shooters kind of need to be 60 now for me

Prohass on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Played through the first boss of Hi-Fi Rush tonight, it is pretty cool so far

Lot to keep track of with fighting on the beat, but I'm getting the hang of it and figuring out combos I like

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Played through the first boss of Hi-Fi Rush tonight, it is pretty cool so far

Lot to keep track of with fighting on the beat, but I'm getting the hang of it and figuring out combos I like

I am absolute dog shit at staying on beat, but the combat, exploration and just general cartoony charm is great. Chai is the quintessential doofus hero and the game really really leans into that.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    I was just happy to see it was a single player story experience

The presentation and animation and writing is fantastic from what I’ve been watching in streams

Prohass on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I'm playing through Disco Elysium for the first time, really enjoying it.

I found Cuno's pig head and told him I like it, then pointed at my head and said something like "get a load of this pig head, it's shit"

And both Kim and Cuno went "uh, what the fuck?"

And the brain spider told me good job, you really confused the hell out of them.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Getting near the end of FF7 Remake and it's been a great time. I've been focusing on the highest attack power weapons and just brute forcing fights by being overleveled.
    Chapter 17
    I knew by internet osmosis that you fight (a version) of Jenova and liked that you could a bit of her theme while running around Hojo's lab.

I was not expecting everything after Hojo to be basicly a boss rush. Flying sword eel into Jenova into Rufus and his doggo, then Big Tank into other Big Tank while you're on a motorcycle.

I left the crew standing next to the funky portal until later.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    I loved the battle in the lobby at the end, for me it exemplified a lot of what I loved about FF7Remakes combat, especially actual physical objects like pillars that you can hide behind/that get destroyed in attacks. I hope they double down on that kind of stuff in the next game, with like changing arenas as the battle evolves and unique environmental stuff for the big fights

TheYuffie DLC is also fantastic in my opinion

Prohass on
This discussion has been closed.