As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pride and Prejudice and Goncharov [Movies]

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I have faith that, far in the future, knowing that the first Benoit Blanc movie was Knives Out will be like knowing that “A Study in Scarlet” was the first Holmes mystery.

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Yeah I appreciate (because of hearing other people talk about it, not because I have any real understanding of this shit) that it's a big deal having a film with Asian stars do so well. I didn't comment on it because I didn't want to sound like I'm saying it only did well because of that.

Also I don't want to sound like I'm saying it was 'overhyped' like how people mean it when they think a film isn't as good as people say. Only that my experience of it was affected by having heard so much about it.

So to get back to this, it's less about having Asian stars do so well, although who doesn't love that, and more about the specific ways the family dynamic is portrayed within the movie that resonated with a bunch of people on a much more specific level.

Just like, stuff I recognize is super cool to have in that movie but I have no lexicon to engage with it, and so that element of the movie totally passes me by.

I guess congrats on having an easier life than some?

Like, I wasn't an absolute scumbag growing up, but my parents had me young and hadn't gotten all their shit together yet, so there was a lot of friction in the house and to say it screwed me up is an understatement. I've had those fights about acting normal, about just doing what I'm supposed to and being grateful that I wasn't getting chucked out on the street when I fucked up. It took me moving out to figure out I'd been acting selfish, and for my parents to figure some of their issues out and realize they'd effectively chased me out of the house. We're better now, but it's taken years to be at the point where we are, and I still feel like we got off lucky in that regard when I look at some of my friends and family and their dynamics.

At the same time, my life also didn't turn out the way I'd hoped. Turns out ADHD really screws with your ability to function in the ways society wants you to and subsequently, you're barred from many of it's benefits because you either can't conform or can also do so through agonizing efforts. In bad moments, it can feel like lifetimes of prosperity and success have been stolen from you, that you are a waste of all the potential everyone saw in you at an early age. Seeing someone else down on their luck, but still finding a support network, (however unconventional) making the most out of the life that they've found themselves in, using their boundless imagination not to escape, but to bring themselves closer to their loved ones. To be given a fantastic power and to use it not for fame or for riches, but to just reconcile, well
    That's how my stone face ended up almost crying watch 2 rocks sit on a mesa.

It's ok you haven't lived the experience. But for a lot of folks, it felt good to be seen in a major way.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    I don't think Maddoc's post had...anything to do with whether or not it was valid that the movie was about that family dynamic, or whether that makes it a good movie or not? They did, in fact, say it was great that the movie had that. Just that they didn't resonate with it specifically.

I think it's also really shitty to say someone has had an Easy Life when you literally know nothing about their life other than that they didn't have this specific family dynamic growing up. That's pretty wild to do!

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    Yeah I appreciate (because of hearing other people talk about it, not because I have any real understanding of this shit) that it's a big deal having a film with Asian stars do so well. I didn't comment on it because I didn't want to sound like I'm saying it only did well because of that.

Also I don't want to sound like I'm saying it was 'overhyped' like how people mean it when they think a film isn't as good as people say. Only that my experience of it was affected by having heard so much about it.

So to get back to this, it's less about having Asian stars do so well, although who doesn't love that, and more about the specific ways the family dynamic is portrayed within the movie that resonated with a bunch of people on a much more specific level.

Just like, stuff I recognize is super cool to have in that movie but I have no lexicon to engage with it, and so that element of the movie totally passes me by.

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat is this

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Matev wrote: »

Like, I wasn't an absolute scumbag growing up, but my parents had me young and hadn't gotten all their shit together yet, so there was a lot of friction in the house and to say it screwed me up is an understatement. I've had those fights about acting normal, about just doing what I'm supposed to and being grateful that I wasn't getting chucked out on the street when I fucked up. It took me moving out to figure out I'd been acting selfish, and for my parents to figure some of their issues out and realize they'd effectively chased me out of the house. We're better now, but it's taken years to be at the point where we are, and I still feel like we got off lucky in that regard when I look at some of my friends and family and their dynamics.

At the same time, my life also didn't turn out the way I'd hoped. Turns out ADHD really screws with your ability to function in the ways society wants you to and subsequently, you're barred from many of it's benefits because you either can't conform or can also do so through agonizing efforts. In bad moments, it can feel like lifetimes of prosperity and success have been stolen from you, that you are a waste of all the potential everyone saw in you at an early age. Seeing someone else down on their luck, but still finding a support network, (however unconventional) making the most out of the life that they've found themselves in, using their boundless imagination not to escape, but to bring themselves closer to their loved ones. To be given a fantastic power and to use it not for fame or for riches, but to just reconcile, well
    That's how my stone face ended up almost crying watch 2 rocks sit on a mesa.

It's ok you haven't lived the experience. But for a lot of folks, it felt good to be seen in a major way.

I think it gets risky when even gentle criticism is met with "Well congrats on your perfect life buddy" if you don't know a person in real life

Like "I couldn't fully connect with this" doesn't inherently mean "because my life was easy," that's a presumptive, personal, defensive leap to take. I enjoyed the movie quite a bit, but it still didn't totally work for me, in part because of difficult, lived experiences and the movie's touch feeling a little too light in places - for me. Because we all process our lives differently, and interact with art differently.

It's extremely dope that the movie meant a lot to you, but it is in no way an attack when someone's like, "I couldn't get there with it."

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    You know what? That is true. I made a flip assumption and said something stupid. My bad.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Anyway, that's why it's not worth engaging with anything that people enjoy on the internet

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I thought Everything Everywhere was very good but similarly not real life changing

That said, I understand that there are pretty specific cultural elements there that elevate the movie a great deal for a lot of people in a way that I have no personal context for, so on some level maybe it was a foregone conclusion that it would not hit as hard for me personally

Anyway, this is the first time I've seen Ke Huy Quan since the friggin Goonies, and he was probably the standout of the movie for me.

I mean, it's the only time you would have seen him. He specifically has been not acting for three decades.

But anyway, I don't really think that EEAAO needs you to have a cultural stake in the movie to work on a fundamental level. I'm basically at the opposite end of the "lived" experiences of this movie. White/Male/Straight/Computer based home job. I think the strength of the movie is how, due in part to its maximalist nature, it completely absorbs you and creates an overwhelming sense of connection. I guess I am a parent? But idk, this movie hit my soul and it's not like I have the cultural background to resonate in most of its main, on the surface, touchstones, but i was openly weeping at the end.

Which is what good art should do, it should grab you by the shoulders and shake you around, even if you previously didn't have a connection to the subject.

Ke Huy Quan had acted in several things since the Goonies all the way up until 2002. But he hadn't done anything between 2002 and 2021. And after that hiatus he did another movie before EEAAO.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

The director of Barbarian, Zach Cregger, got a hell of a deal after a bidding war on his new script. He gets 8 figures to write and direct, guaranteed greenlight, guaranteed theatrical release, final cut as long as certain test screening thresholds are met, and so on. He chose an offer from New Line, in part because of how much horror they've done over the years.

Pretty cool.

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    hell yeah
    Sources say that if things turn out well with this project, a goal would be to ultimately have Cregger become a significant horror voice and supplier for the Warners/New Line movie factory.

...Plot details of Weapons are being kept holstered, but it is described as an interrelated, multistory horror epic that tonally is in the vein of Magnolia, the 1999 actor-crammed showcase from filmmaker Paul Thomas Anderson.

Sweeney Tom on
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I've never heard of final cut as long as you pass the test screenings before. Is that common just not usually written down?

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    You can’t knock a fat dragon, that’s a good choice. I will probably watch that at some point via extremely legitimate means, but I’ll be in no rush.

God I hope its Themberchaud.

I Googled this name and a bunch of merch from the movie came up, so I think you're in luck!

uyvfOQy.png
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    ...Plot details of Weapons are being kept holstered, but it is described as an interrelated, multistory horror epic that tonally is in the vein of Magnolia, the 1999 actor-crammed showcase from filmmaker Paul Thomas Anderson.

It is difficult to overstate how perfectly laser targeted towards me this feels.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    I've never heard of final cut as long as you pass the test screenings before. Is that common just not usually written down?

Final cut for directors is one of those things that's like...pretty common but also the studios will always, always make you negotiate for it and get it in writing. Even if they fully expect a director to insist on it, they'll still start off trying to keep control of that if at all possible.

Final cut for directors is one of those things that's like...pretty common but also the studios will always, always make you negotiate for it and get it in writing. Even if they fully expect a director to insist on it, they'll still start off trying to keep control of that if at all possible.

The TV equivalent of this is, bizarrely enough, those little cards that run at the end credits. All those little logos - "Sit, Ubu, sit," "That's some bad hat, Harry," etc. There's almost always one little card in there that's for the showrunner's production company (or, if they don't have one, the S Corp they set up to have all their payments run through), and it's an arbitrary bargaining chit in negotiations for shows that might never exist. "We won't give you the extra money you asked for, but how about we give you your own sexy little card, eh?"

Hollywood negotiations are ludicrous.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

If it's contingent on test screening results, you can bet they'll be working damn hard to manipulate those results.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.

If it's contingent on test screening results, you can bet they'll be working damn hard to manipulate those results.

Is this in reference to some specific incident or bit of Hollywood lore?

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2023
    Anyone want to work with me on my new film

Narwhal: The Death Horn

It’s about a killer narwhal that learns to live on land and murders a bunch of teenagers who are just constantly fucking in a cabin while they wait for the kids to show up for summer camp.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular

The TV equivalent of this is, bizarrely enough, those little cards that run at the end credits. All those little logos - "Sit, Ubu, sit," "That's some bad hat, Harry," etc. There's almost always one little card in there that's for the showrunner's production company (or, if they don't have one, the S Corp they set up to have all their payments run through), and it's an arbitrary bargaining chit in negotiations for shows that might never exist. "We won't give you the extra money you asked for, but how about we give you your own sexy little card, eh?"

So you ever put some thought into what yours would be?

It’s about a killer narwhal that learns to live on land and murders a bunch of teenagers who are just constantly fucking in a cabin while they wait for the kids to show up for summer camp.

can i be the narwhal

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

can i be the narwhal

No, that role is reserved for Paul Giamatti

ok well i will just be best grip

iguanacus wrote: »

There's an old Cherokee story that means a lot to me, about the water spider who carried the first fire. I'd probably hire a Cherokee artist to design me up a cool lil water spider logo

This isn't a funny answer, for which I apologize, but it is a true one!

There's an old Cherokee story that means a lot to me, about the water spider who carried the first fire. I'd probably hire a Cherokee artist to design me up a cool lil water spider logo

that is pretty cool but now give us the funny answer

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

you're about to get anseled for this

Oh, shit, uh... It'd be a, uh... Chihuahua sitting behind a big mahogany desk, with a cigar in its mouth, and then some middleaged man would intone, "Now you're playing with the big dogs."

PiptheFair wrote: »

you're about to get anseled for this

i have no fear because i don't know what that means

ignorance is ever my shield

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

Oh, shit, uh... It'd be a, uh... Chihuahua sitting behind a big mahogany desk, with a cigar in its mouth, and then some middleaged man would intone, "Now you're playing with the big dogs."

Okay, but it doesn’t work unless you pay your idiot nephew 50 bucks to animate it as a shitty doodle in after effects.

Also, how much industry clout do I need to, hypothetically, get a new entry from my crappy blog posted as a 1-second end card after every single episode so I can spit some real shit?

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

is the dog wearing a big dog shirt?

The dog should be wearing a Big Johnson shirt with a pun about fishing

edited January 2023
    The dog should be wearing a Big Johnson shirt with a pun about fishing

I knew a guy in high school whose entire personality was Big Johnson shirts. Whenever he’d get a new one he’d strut into class and loudly point out “Got a new one, check it out” with the exact same energy as the Christmas Story dad and his leg lamp.

minor incident on
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular

You'd need to have the Big Dog from the Big Dog shirts there too somehow.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.

this is turning into a very busy logo

Let’s just add a 3D model of a My Little Pony and maybe some random mathematical equations to float around

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    It needs to bark annoyingly at the end for a few seconds

How are people gonna enjoy that heart wrenching bit of television they just saw if "that effing Chihuahua" doesn't yap like an asshole at the end of every single episode and take them immediately back out of it

• Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular

this is turning into a very busy logo

Well yeah, it's a vanity card. They invariably are.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
    mrpaku wrote: »
    It needs to bark annoyingly at the end for a few seconds

How are people gonna enjoy that heart wrenching bit of television they just saw if "that effing Chihuahua" doesn't yap like an asshole at the end of every single episode and take them immediately back out of it

Shhh quiet. The dog is talking.

Also, how much industry clout do I need to, hypothetically, get a new entry from my crappy blog posted as a 1-second end card after every single episode so I can spit some real shit?

God I used to think those Chuck Lorre cards were SO clever.

And then I got old enough to realize that Chuck Lorre is a pretty big asshole!

btdb3miwqdc3.gif

This discussion has been closed.