As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pride and Prejudice and Goncharov [Movies]

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    that dog can sell anything

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Skinamarink coming to Shudder on 2/2

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Skinamarink coming to Shudder on 2/2
    Two children wake up in the middle of the night to find their father is missing, and all the windows and doors in their home have vanished.

holy hannah

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The true killer in Skinamarink is the abject boredom. It's another movie that would have been a decent 10 or 15 minute short film turned into a feature.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    A duck! wrote: »
    The true killer in Skinamarink is the abject boredom. It's another movie that would have been a decent 10 or 15 minute short film turned into a feature.

You shut yer yap!!

Actually that may be 100% accurate. I haven’t seen it yet.

I should be nice to Duck. He’s the only mod that ever banned me even if it was just for a day.

<3 Any time <3

The Razzies have updated their eligibility rules. You now have to be 18 to be nominated for a razzie.

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Skinamarink comes to Shudder next month and I really hope more people here watch it. Among the more divisive, difficult (in terms of experimental, not in terms of extreme, content) watches; happy to see it succeeding so far

As already mentioned this is next week. Gonna just repeat all of this and add the trailer and a complimentary tweet for both it and another thing I loved, The Outwaters (which comes to theaters Feb 9)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APQqilSTxz0

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    They should update their Razzie rules to make everyone and everything ineligible because they're bad.

Maddoc on
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    The Razzies have updated their eligibility rules. You now have to be 18 to be nominated for a razzie.

Still feels like a dumb relic of the 90s

More media comes out in a given year than one could possibly hope to keep abreast of, it's so dorky to get all hung up on hating a misfire. Just skip those two hours and go watch literally anything else, it's never been easier to avoid bad media

• JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    The dog should be wearing a Big Johnson shirt with a pun about fishing

I knew a guy in high school whose entire personality was Big Johnson shirts. Whenever he’d get a new one he’d strut into class and loudly point out “Got a new one, check it out” with the exact same energy as the Christmas Story dad and his leg lamp.

We never had the Big Johnson shirts but we did have Trippin' Waldo, which was like him doing drugs or being drunk in a scene of people.
    So i tried googling it and i stumbled across this beauty.

After Halle Berry showed up to get hers in person they should have shut it down because that was definitely the last peak they'd ever see

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    My "favorite" Razzies are the ones where they pick a documentary or something just so that they can give a Razzie to a politician they don't like.

Giving a Worst Actor Razzie to George W Bush or Trump is like... Absolute peak ineffectual liberal masturbation

Maddoc on
    They gave a worst actress nominee to the girl in the new Firestarter.

She’s just a kid so they got a lot of flak for it so that’s why they instituted the new policy.

Before I read this article today I forgot the Razzies existed

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Firestarter 2022 sucked for a lot of reasons. None of those reasons were the kid, Zac Efron, Kurtwood Smith or Michael Greyeyes

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

More media comes out in a given year than one could possibly hope to keep abreast of, it's so dorky to get all hung up on hating a misfire. Just skip those two hours and go watch literally anything else, it's never been easier to avoid bad media

It absolutely seems like a close cousin to the “there’s no good music anymore” sentiment. In both cases, bitching about how every piece of media that comes out now “sucks” just tells me you don’t really put any effort into paying attention. It’s not a condemnation of modern media, it’s an embarrassing admission.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    They’re just mean. It used to be a lot more fun to be mean sometimes.

Now though…the world sucks enough without people being mean to each other that shouldn’t be.

I believe it was that intrepid hip hop group, The Black Eyed Peas, who asked the question….where is the love?

• LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    I know for a fact that Skinamarink is gonna fuck my shit up and I absolutely cannot wait.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    As my students in WA State History had finished up with their final on Tuesday, I used yesterday & today to show them Dante's Peak.

Having not seen that movie in the past two decades I'm happy to report: it rules!

A truly bonkers disaster movie!!

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    The razzies meant more in an era where every other youtube channel wasn't some variation of "why this movie is a war crime and here is a 3xs long video essay about it"
    And they didn't mean much then!

• asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    As my students in WA State History had finished up with their final on Tuesday, I used yesterday & today to show them Dante's Peak.

Having not seen that movie in the past two decades I'm happy to report: it rules!

i never saw dante's peak, only ever saw the other volcano disaster movie that came out at the same time, appropriately titled volcano

edited January 2023
    The Razzies could be interesting if there was editorial intent behind the choices that they used to lampoon things, but as far as I'm aware anyone can buy their way into voting and it just ends up being dingleberries using that to hammer on their pet peeves. Like if Something Awful made movie awards and people cared for some stupid reason.

A duck! on
    my personal Razzie goes to any movie that sets the action is a ridiculously expensive mansion instead of just a normal house or apartment for no reason

like 90% of current slasher movie do this; these kids' parents make multi millions of dollars a year

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular

Wait, you're supposed to avoid bad media? Oh man, I've got a bunch of people to apologize to on Discord.

uyvfOQy.png
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I'm trying to figure out why the Menu is sort of my breaking point for "wow, movies hate rich people now" and I think it's that the thing it's making fun of is something that only rich people give a shit about.

• pookapooka Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I thought Everything Everywhere was very good but similarly not real life changing

That said, I understand that there are pretty specific cultural elements there that elevate the movie a great deal for a lot of people in a way that I have no personal context for, so on some level maybe it was a foregone conclusion that it would not hit as hard for me personally

Anyway, this is the first time I've seen Ke Huy Quan since the friggin Goonies, and he was probably the standout of the movie for me.

I mean, it's the only time you would have seen him. He specifically has been not acting for three decades.

But anyway, I don't really think that EEAAO needs you to have a cultural stake in the movie to work on a fundamental level. I'm basically at the opposite end of the "lived" experiences of this movie. White/Male/Straight/Computer based home job. I think the strength of the movie is how, due in part to its maximalist nature, it completely absorbs you and creates an overwhelming sense of connection. I guess I am a parent? But idk, this movie hit my soul and it's not like I have the cultural background to resonate in most of its main, on the surface, touchstones, but i was openly weeping at the end.

Which is what good art should do, it should grab you by the shoulders and shake you around, even if you previously didn't have a connection to the subject.
    I haven't revisited it yet, but my current impression of Everything Everywhere All at Once is *consistent with my first one.

I went in knowing the basic premise, but made an effort because I've always enjoyed seeing Michelle Yeoh onscreen. The movie seemed like it would be neat, but my main driver was enjoying her past work, and it piqued my curiosity that she seemed so moved in interviews.

So here's where I mull over more of how and why I responded.

Everything Everywhere All at Once didn't impact me as hard because of my connections to it, cultural and personal.
    I have some family-sense of Asian cultures because my dad was stationed overseas and brought back a fondness, & curiosity in all things is a shared familial trait.
    For a long time, I assumed it was a default military family thing to seek pluralistic culture, and to have a mix of ethnicities as friends. I've since met some very insular folk, and segregated spaces, which always seems a wasted opportunity -- nationalism is a poison, what can ya do. I'd still say the military affords opportunity abroad to folk more likely to respect and enjoy different cultures, but this is not the time for my nuanced take on the military industrial complex, socioeconomics, and patriotic culture.

So let's put it down to my parents being kind people, Dad being Indian (feathers), and needing to find connection as perpetual minorities, in combination with the pleasure of discovery and making new friends.
    All that is to say, we are multicultural by habit & seek variety as our 'normal' -- my friends have always been from varying backgrounds. And so foodways and small traditions and phrases of several cultures are part of my family culture despite belonging to several kinds of outgroups.

I mix & belong but I am not of.

As a result, I have some touchstones in 'panAsian' cultures, and while I understand the shorthand when deployed, I didn't grow up with Asian parents or the referenced assumptions those kids share. So I can relate to the girlfriend, as someone who is more familiar with the edges of those specific cultural expectations and mostly not subject to them. It's a generalized experience when rubbing up against other cultures. Like her, it impacts me largely by way of people I care about; it's informative, but it's secondhand, or at least not mine to the same scope or range.

It's been months since I've seen it, so I can't reference anything directly, but I was a film major, and a fan of Asian cinema. There's a lot of homage within the creativity, which is fun and pleasing. But for me, they're Easter eggs rather than feeling seen. By contrast, "Reservation Dogs" has those moments -- so I get it, but I also know that EEAAO is not for me in all its nods. (While also being 'for' everyone, because the appeal is still universal on a number of other layers.)

In its emotional journey, the plot follows deeply familiar traces.

I don't know when depression became part of my life, but I have long thought of myself as an optimistic person. For a time as a young adult, I lost that to major depression, and even after being in remission for years, still struggle to bring that inner self to my conscious thoughts and act on those impulses.

So, the execution on character arcs are meaningful to me, but after years of work to reclaim myself, I am in a good enough place that it was not a revelation.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure out why the Menu is sort of my breaking point for "wow, movies hate rich people now" and I think it's that the thing it's making fun of is something that only rich people give a shit about.

Well, also,
    the movie explicitly says "service workers are important and treated poorly, rich consumers are unimportant shit weasels actively making the world a worse place" like, in as many words, via dialogue.

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Regal Theaters is showing the Best Picture nominees, so I'm going to see The Fabelmans on Sunday.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »

Well, also,
    the movie explicitly says "service workers are important and treated poorly, rich consumers are unimportant shit weasels actively making the world a worse place" like, in as many words, via dialogue.

There are a lot of people who are also insufferable about eating at restaurants that are not rich.

Not at the level of the movie but I think it's pretty recognizable.

is this a joke or real? i only ask because i don't think lily tomlin would involve herself in anything that went against her very liberal beliefs

I think it’s a joke but these days…who the fuck knows

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »

Wait, you're supposed to avoid bad media? Oh man, I've got a bunch of people to apologize to on Discord.

Apologize all you want, you'll find no forgiveness there or here.

Kyougu wrote: »
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »

Well, also,

There are a lot of people who are also insufferable about eating at restaurants that are not rich.

Not at the level of the movie but I think it's pretty recognizable.

I don't want to go on and on about this because, for one, I don't really think people have to experience something to get value out of a movie making a point about it, but I do feel like the screenwriter went and had a weird experience, and then after he wrote his screenplay someone came in and said, "hey, sprinkle in some stuff about how rich people are assholes, that's really hot right now." It's not a universal thing but I do feel like we're getting a lot more "I don't really know how to write about poor/middle class people because the way the industry works right now is that the only people who get real jobs in entertainment anymore are nepotism hires and people who can afford to take unpaid internships so they have to write about rich people stuff and the only way to get that through is to mention that, actually, rich people are bad? and also throw a poor person in there, but we'll just throw a couple lines of dialogue about how they're foster kids or something"

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Volcano is one of those movies I'll just find myself watching again and again.

It's so good!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I guess I just don't think fine dining is something that only rich people care about?

I dunno, I know plenty of people who know about these sorts of restaurants without like, going to them. There's a whole celebrity chef culture out there, it's like, the whole premise of modern Food Network.

And like, the movie is talking about that stuff too, all of that is a vital part of the premise.

frankly, I thought the purpose of the modern food network was to run Chopped 900 times a week

asofyeun wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »

i never saw dante's peak, only ever saw the other volcano disaster movie that came out at the same time, appropriately titled volcano

Well @asofyeun, if you have access to Hulu, you should make yourself a bowl a popcorn and watch Dante's Peak because it is grade-A dumb fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8HNlhVbGzY

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    frankly, I thought the purpose of the modern food network was to run Chopped 900 times a week

Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about

Like, I know Alinea chefs have competed on Chopped, and Alinea ain't far off from the restaurant from The Menu

Straightzi on
This discussion has been closed.