As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Stompybots? Stompybots. STOMPYBOTS! MW5 on Steam NOW!

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I love the Direstararar

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    Potentially interesting thing re: Timber Wolf and other mechs with big missile boxes

ulmfcr7drhav.png

imub1oetcsku.png

f8bpqpni7crr.png

Currently the meta builds on the Timbie do not use the missile box shoulders. This could bring them back.

Archer bunny ear love???

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Archer already gets it since they have weapon doors I believe.

• Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    Mechwarrior 5 is downloading a 2 gig update for me… thought release was tomorrow, excited for the mech hangar expansion

• Options

Did they fix it so when the doors were open they were not part of the hit box?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Yup, Rasalhague DLC is live.

• Options
    Betsuni wrote: »

Probably not, but given doors open and close almost instantaneously now it’s probably not that big a deal

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

The doors being part of the hit box was fixed like 6 years ago, if not longer. The more recent change was making the bonus always on and the doors entirely cosmetic, they don't slow down fire when closed.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    maraji wrote: »
    Mechwarrior 5 is downloading a 2 gig update for me… thought release was tomorrow, excited for the mech hangar expansion

DLC is live!?

I'll just hop and start a new campaign and "All of your mods are broken and disabled" and right what I meant is I'll hop in and start a new campaign in a few weeks!

• Options
    Bullhead wrote: »
    Wait a damn minute - what kind of blasphemous shit is a Tmberwolf without the missile boxes?!?

I missed this.

Currently the meta build is on the TBR-S uses the BH RT for ECM, A LT for the energy shoulder, and PRIME arms so it can run 2xLPL, 6xERML. It’s fast, agile, has ECM, a JJ for maneuvering, and an incredible alpha.

There are variants that run the laser CT instead and PRIME left torso so they don’t have the A “hump” and lack the JJ.and one ERML or run the BH with full SO8 for 4xLPL

• Options

Probably not, but given doors open and close almost instantaneously now it’s probably not that big a deal
    Heffling wrote: »

The doors being part of the hit box was fixed like 6 years ago, if not longer. The more recent change was making the bonus always on and the doors entirely cosmetic, they don't slow down fire when closed.

So if it was 6 years ago I was still playing. I swore that I would still get hits registered when they were open. Then again those ST hit boxes were pretty big and everyone aimed at them.

Thanks for the information you two. I miss running around in my mechs.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    maraji wrote: »

DLC is live!?

I'll just hop and start a new campaign and "All of your mods are broken and disabled" and right what I meant is I'll hop in and start a new campaign in a few weeks!
    I’ve deliberately avoided mods because I started playing after the DLC was announced and didn’t want to have to deal with this in my first campaign.

As a side note, I’ve only played a few missions since the patch on the kid’s campaign (rep 6 for reference) and the AI pilot is taking a ton more damage than expected. He’s a captain with (supposedly) Veteran AI and is just getting wrecked even in fairly easy missions. Wonder if the AI updates changed the way skill is assigned.

Also it feels like destroyed stuff (buildings, walls) now slow my mech to a crawl if I walk through them again, whereas before they didn’t affect me after the first pass.

maraji on
  • Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Never mind- it was under general settings, not controls.

monkeykins on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    monkeykins wrote: »
    So, let me know what I am doing wrong, but using a controller in MW5 is just comically bad? The torso movement tied to leg movement is already rough with a m+kb, especially fighting vehicles at the start of the game, but you can overcome it. With a controller, just no go. Don't bother?

There's a menu option for torso rotation, but also I think it's caps lock that locks your legs and torso together. Just need to turn that off.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Yeah, the new "First Person" control scheme was not under controls.
    Also, aim assist makes hitting the vehicles so much better.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    The real secret of making shooters playable on gamepads- generous autoaim.

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    The real secret of making shooters playable on gamepads- generous autoaim.

I mean, it's not even a secret.

It was the joy in the early 2000s of playing against people whose first FPS experience was Halo and trying to switch to PC games.

They suddenly had to aim and it was like being an NBA player dunking on middle schoolers.

Just an endless parade of people awkwardly trying to shoot you and somehow consistently missing over your head while awkwardly trying to sidestep left and right like they were doing some obscure ornithological mating dance.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Playing in first person on a console would make aiming dead impossible though. It’s one thing when there is no reticule Bob but the reticule Bob in MW5 first person is severe when you’re moving in first person (and gone in third)

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    So the melee in MW5 is pretty good. I played through the campaign once since they added it and never really used it, but this time at least at the start I am using it all the time.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    I just started up MW5 myself. Didn't find the controller controls too bad myself. Definitely took some missions to get used to, but I figure jank controls are like half of what you're here for with this.

Having only played HBS Battletech before this, the weirdest feeling thing is how few heat sinks I'm putting on my mechs. Like, in HBS I could never fit enough heat sinks on my mechs, but in this I might be using an energy weapon heavy loadout and still only have one or two sinks on it.

cB557 on
  • Options
    That will change.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    That will change.
    As I get into heavy and assault mechs, are battles going to turn into more drawn-out slugfests that need that sustain?

• Options
    There's been some talk about Fafnirs lately.

1. Fafnir hitbox has been an issue for a while now, there's talk that they may be able to get an update in the next couple of months:
    r865r0m9dawi.png

2. Talk of a new variant, still in development, but a allegedly preliminary build was left in the files for the January patch and got picked up in the data scrape for Mechdb: https://mwo.nav-alpha.com/mechlab/fnr-j

Rumor has it that this variant is a candidate for the new Legendary mechs, but it could also be a red herring.

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    That will change.
    As I get into heavy and assault mechs, are battles going to turn into more drawn-out slugfests that need that sustain?

Yea. Youre also going to be far more slot limited.

Running 4 MLAS at 2 HPS usage on 1 HPS dissipation and 30 heat sink is going to deal real bad when you’re running 2 SRM 6 at 12 HPS and trying to dissipate this at 2 dissipation

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    That will change.

(once you install mods because the base game is bad and dumb and very unfun when it comes to mech loadouts)

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I love the Fafnir, or as I like to call it, SwoleJenner.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    That will change.

(once you install mods because the base game is bad and dumb and very unfun* when it comes to mech loadouts)

*Based on Personal Preference

I played through the entire MW5 campaign, plus the first story DLC, and had a perfectly fun and pleasant time with the game.

Differing tastes, etc.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Reset the Clock!

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Nipples of destruction.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

I now want a Swole Jenner in HBS Battletech

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Absolutely astounded to learn the Fafnir is less than 3x the BV2.0 cost of a Hollander

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Terra Therma Classic, Redux 3.0 looks to be in a good spot, Krazzdaxx (PGI’s latest, and most social, map dev) shared several screenshots on discord. Unfortunately too large for me to copy/paste so I’ll have to wait until tonight when I can resize them.

Of note: the infamous potato fortress in the center from OG Terra Therma is back for Domination, along with the deadly lava underneath.

History
    Francois (previous map dev, responsible for several other 2.0 maps and the last handful of new ones) turned in Terra Therma Classic as his last project before taking a job elsewhere. While a nifty concept, he had jury-rigged together several objects for the top half of the map which lead to mechs getting stuck after falling into geometry.

Krazzdaxx, after coming on board, stripped the entire top half of the center of the map off. While this worked, it ended up creating a massive bowl in the center which made Domination exceptionally difficult, and made crossing the center deadly.

Krazzdaxx has been dropping with various streamers and units to get a feel for how maps play (hence all the fixes in the Jan patch), and had always intended to come back to this map to make it more playable.

• Options
    Oh, y'know what's another weird thing going to Mechwarrior 5 from HBS Battletech? Jump jets. In BT, jump jets were basically my default method of locomotion, in contrast to this where I mostly only use them to occasionally get over a thing.

Having only played games in this franchise where you can only control battlemechs, I'm kinda envious of tanks. Like, when I see a manticore fitting an AC10, LRMs, and a PPC into something lower profile than an urbie I gotta think that guy knows something I don't. I imagine that mechwarriors that've found themselves unable to advance their career above piloting a jenner must look at the heavier tanks and feel like they chose wrong.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Oh, y'know what's another weird thing going to Mechwarrior 5 from HBS Battletech? Jump jets. In BT, jump jets were basically my default method of locomotion, in contrast to this where I mostly only use them to occasionally get over a thing.

Having only played games in this franchise where you can only control battlemechs, I'm kinda envious of tanks. Like, when I see a manticore fitting an AC10, LRMs, and a PPC into something lower profile than an urbie I gotta think that guy knows something I don't. I imagine that mechwarriors that've found themselves unable to advance their career above piloting a jenner must look at the heavier tanks and feel like they chose wrong.

Excuse me, do you have a moment to discuss our lord and savior, melee attacks?

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

Even the lowliest of Mechwarriors is still a Mechwarrior.

It'd be like the lowest ranking FBI Agent being jealous of a Hotel Detective.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

Excuse me, do you have a moment to discuss our lord and savior, melee attacks?

Sorry, the LRM carrier is to far away to hear about melee attacks.
    At least we have some cloud cover though, keeps us from getting too hot out here... wait a minute... those aren't clouds THOSE AREN'T CLOUDS!

muffled sounds of LRM violence

• Options
    Terra pics:

Layout:
    14oekv84w8qh.png

Note: Spawns are wildly different for the other modes

Pictures:
    8kghkosahlhj.png
    48kwee15dllr.png
    j4nv1eht1nlc.png
    oauoxtvcz935.png
    35icdpbhnwtk.png

• Options
    Axen wrote: »

Even the lowliest of Mechwarriors is still a Mechwarrior.

It'd be like the lowest ranking FBI Agent being jealous of a Hotel Detective.
    Sure, the jenner pilot has a lot higher social standing, but the manticore crew has weapons heavier than an M laser.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I feel jumpjets have always been handled badly in the sim-style MW games. In the tabletop, they are jets that let you jump, i.e. a swift movement where you leap into the air and come down quickly. BT reflect this notion a lot more as well, with the launch being a strong burst of force.

But in the sim games, jumpjets are some kind of dumb weakass rocket engine and it's led to the perpetual issue of poptarting. If jumpjets really properly launched mechs, trying to land shots in the air with any kind of accuracy would be a very different story. Even just launching straight up would only give you a brief window to fire semi-reliably from and none of this tap-firing jumpjets to hover/slow the fall. Doing that shit should just pitch you right on your ass. Jumpjets should be tools for quick maneuvering and evasion, not sniping like slow-moving cloud of 70 tons of metal. Not to mention light mechs moving at 120 kph and really launching into the air thirty meters when they jump would be whole different level of difficulty to hit, as opposed to now where things lift off like they're getting hoisted by a steam-powered crank.

When people go for those jumpjets it should be like a 5G slam that rattles their teeth, not a weak little tenth of a G like navigating a roundabout in a two-cylinder sedan.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Terra pics:

Layout:
    14oekv84w8qh.png

Note: Spawns are wildly different for the other modes

Pictures:
    8kghkosahlhj.png
    48kwee15dllr.png
    j4nv1eht1nlc.png
    oauoxtvcz935.png
    35icdpbhnwtk.png

Man, I'm so glad the new map maker realises that providing hard cover you can move between makes the game more fun. I really hate playing on maps like Canyon because cover doesn't mean shit- does some enemy have eyes on you, or NARC'd you? Unless you're in a tiny Light, those LRMs will hit you from anywhere, just casually arcing over that terrain you're hugging, and there's literally no recourse.

And then you have Stellaris, which has the opposite problem- sure, you have cover, but the buildings are like 1km wide blocks that take a solid minute to run around even in a Light, making flanking an enemy a crapshoot. You just kinda go flank blind and hope you don't run head-first into a superior force, because if you try flanking an enemy you can see they'll be gone by the time you get there.

Glal on