As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2] Third Expansion Announced - End of Dragons! We're going to Cantha!

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Or you could just TP stacks of un'ids and let someone else open/salvage them, those potential results should be somewhat baked into their value.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Or you could just TP stacks of un'ids and let someone else open/salvage them, those potential results should be somewhat baked into their value.

Yep, just sell stacks. Don't waste your time for maybe an extra gold here and there.

• Options
    LJDouglasLJDouglas Registered User regular
    On the other hand, you might get a legendary precursor. Only had it happen to me once and I've been playing since beta, but still, if you want the excitement of rolling the dice it's an option.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

People have done the math and they're not really all that baked in. There's all sorts of other things going on that can affect the price of what you pull out of unIDs that isn't really priced in. One of the bigger and more consistent ones has been that pulling some rare 2 handed swords will yield a bunch of extra cash because of people trying their luck with the mystic toilet to spit out a precursor greatsword if fed 4 rares. While this goes on regularly, sometimes someone really gets into it or there's more people trying so they buy up even more rares driving up the price further. They aren't bothering buying the unIDs themelves though so those prices don't change much.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    so I reinstalled this for the first time in like...6+ years? I think I played on and off from 2013-2015/2016?

Anyway after dealing with the 100s of birthday gifts, I have a question. My first character is 80, and I have exotic armor for the most part (other than rebreather but underwater combat lol), what's a good way to get exotic weapons? Is there anything better/equal to dungeon farming for currency and buying from the dungeon vendor?
    (Also, does anyone still do builds for the base game? I don't have any expansions and I want to know if I need to rebuild my condition damage Warrior and what stats I need)

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    so I reinstalled this for the first time in like...6+ years? I think I played on and off from 2013-2015/2016?

Anyway after dealing with the 100s of birthday gifts, I have a question. My first character is 80, and I have exotic armor for the most part (other than rebreather but underwater combat lol), what's a good way to get exotic weapons? Is there anything better/equal to dungeon farming for currency and buying from the dungeon vendor?
    (Also, does anyone still do builds for the base game? I don't have any expansions and I want to know if I need to rebuild my condition damage Warrior and what stats I need)

https://metabattle.com/wiki/Core_/_Free_to_Play

tadaa

*edit* https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Warrior_-_Core_Power_Warrior

looks like Power warrior's the current meta for core builds.

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options

People have done the math and they're not really all that baked in. There's all sorts of other things going on that can affect the price of what you pull out of unIDs that isn't really priced in. One of the bigger and more consistent ones has been that pulling some rare 2 handed swords will yield a bunch of extra cash because of people trying their luck with the mystic toilet to spit out a precursor greatsword if fed 4 rares. While this goes on regularly, sometimes someone really gets into it or there's more people trying so they buy up even more rares driving up the price further. They aren't bothering buying the unIDs themelves though so those prices don't change much.

To whatever degree its not baked in, is the value of the labor of opening them up. So its' still baked in. It has to be for something so hotly traded as to have near identical buy:sell prices.

If you like opening stuff up, be my guest. If you find it a hassle, leave it to someone else, your time is probably more valuable than that bit of cash.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

To whatever degree its not baked in, is the value of the labor of opening them up. So its' still baked in. It has to be for something so hotly traded as to have near identical buy:sell prices.

If you like opening stuff up, be my guest. If you find it a hassle, leave it to someone else, your time is probably more valuable than that bit of cash.

Right-click -> Use all. Not very labour intensive.

• Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    I've got heaps of Bloodstone Dust (2,000+) Dragonite Ore (500+) and Empyreal Fragments (800ish) from back in the day filling up my bank. Googling shows me some advice that seems sound, to refine a portion then just delete the rest because it isn't worth the inventory pain. The posts are from a few years ago, is it still true or did they add in something to do with them?

I've just bought the expansions but haven't done any content outside of core Tyria yet, I'm finishing up the initial personal story on my new character. My old 80s have Tailoring and Weaponsmithing at 420ish, and Jewelcrafting at 400.

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    I know there are a few items that will eat the dust/ore/shards and spit out a limited amount of “gifts” per day, but I don’t know if they’re still available, or reasonable to acquire anymore.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mawdrey_II

Mawdrey, Princess, and Star are the ones that eat a single material, and the Sentient ___ ones eat a combination.

• Options
    LJDouglasLJDouglas Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Princess is definitely the fastest to acquire, just complete the Lion's Arch Exterminator achievement. Mawdrey II requires the fairly time consuming process of making the ascended back piece Mawdrey, on the other hand, if you don't have an ascended back piece it's nice to have. The Star of Gratitude requires the For the Children achievement, not particularly difficult, but unfortunately only available during the Wintersday event which just ended last week, so if you don't have it unfortunately you'll have to wait a year for it. For bloodstone dust conversion there's also Herta from the Where Exalted Dare achievement, consumes an entire stack of bloodstone dust at a time and has a (super low) chance of dropping an item that can be converted into an extremely valuable cosmetic infusion.

If you have access to Living World Season 3 working through the collections for the Aurora legendary trinket then you can acquire the pieces that combine together to form Gleam of Sentience. There's a few other converters for karma and other currencies, all listed on the wiki if you're curious.

LJDouglas on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    All of a sudden GW2 performance took a giant hit whenever I play. Has this happened to anyone else?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Perrsun wrote: »
    I was saving up Black Lion Statuettes, but I guess I wasn’t paying attention to how the items you can buy with it go on rotation. Seems like there are some things always there, and some that cycle in and out?

Initially I was saving up for a home instance node, but then thinking maybe an unbreakable harvesting tool… and then the tools cycled out :p

What do yinz usually buy with your statuettes? What’s the ideal use for them for somebody more concerned with function than fashion?

If anybody is interested, there are some Unbreakable Tools back in the Statuette store.

I think I’m still gonna hold off though… the last time they were there it was a different set that came with some glyphs. There’s a dog/harvesting sickle that has a glyph included in this set, but not the other 2 tools.

Then again, it’s not like I have enough o get all 3 tools yet. 🤷‍♂️

Perrsun on
  • Options
    Well that was cool. I told the 1 person who'd joined my party for Arah story that I'd have to bail in a few minutes for time if we didn't fill, and they said "Why don't we duo it?" So we just blasted through it together. I'm freshly back and freshly 80, they had 400+ mastery points, so I'm pppprrretty sure they did 90% of it. Afterward we were talking about expansions and stuff (that I haven't touched yet) and they mailed me a tier 10 jade bot core to equip! Increased my hp by 20%. I've met a bunch of really friendly and helpful people since I came back, it's great.

• Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    Back when I was doing the dungeon master achievement I did all of Arah that didn’t require multiple people with one other guy, honestly works great with 2 competent players

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Are legendary weapons (like tier 1) still firmly in "I want to spend months grinding" territory, or has the release of later expansions and tiers of legendaries softened that?

I'd kinda like to get another charactor slot with gold and I'm on the fence about selling a bunch of inventory to do that, or keeping it in case I'd like to gradually pick up a legendary. I'm interested what the long term players think about ever gradually doing it, or needing to focus on it. (or if it'd be silly to sell X that's time gated to receive when I could just spend $8 or whatever for the slot).
    Right now my expectation is that it'll take me a year to finish playing through the stories, with how I usually slow down during the warm months.

Edit: Whoa. I decided to cheat a little and go get the Springer mount from EoD before continuing with my next chapter of Living World S1. I got sidetracked on the way and saw on the wiki that the skiff was fairly easy to get. That was fun. Geeze that island is gorgeous. Then I went into New Kaineng City and I was floored. That city is incredible! It would be multiple zones in other games. I'd actually poked my head into the first quest or two of HoT as well, which was also so cool. Dune vibes. But in both cases there were a handful of characters I didn't recognize, so I decided to go do things in order.

So much cool content!

Red Raevyn on
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Legendaries are still super super expensive. If thats a goal you want at any point its definitely important to just not spend your stuff and work on it bit by bit.

And yeah a lot of the areas are amazing, they really bring you into the world and make you feel the atmosphere of the zones. I know HoT gets a lot of shit because of how densely packed everything is enemy wise but it really feels overwhelming and clausterphobic as a massive jungle biome. I really appreciate all the zones they've added, especially the free zones you get as part of the living story. Its kind of a whiplash to see something as great as FFXIV compared to GW2, because they're vastly different games of course, but also because GW2 has released so many zones in between expansions and FFXIV kinda keeps you to the same zones only adding more content to those already made zones.

Man I think you just rekindled an appreciation for gw2 again, once I get my pc working im definitely diving back in.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Red Raevyn wrote: »
    Are legendary weapons (like tier 1) still firmly in "I want to spend months grinding" territory, or has the release of later expansions and tiers of legendaries softened that?

I'd kinda like to get another charactor slot with gold and I'm on the fence about selling a bunch of inventory to do that, or keeping it in case I'd like to gradually pick up a legendary. I'm interested what the long term players think about ever gradually doing it, or needing to focus on it. (or if it'd be silly to sell X that's time gated to receive when I could just spend $8 or whatever for the slot).
    Right now my expectation is that it'll take me a year to finish playing through the stories, with how I usually slow down during the warm months.

Edit: Whoa. I decided to cheat a little and go get the Springer mount from EoD before continuing with my next chapter of Living World S1. I got sidetracked on the way and saw on the wiki that the skiff was fairly easy to get. That was fun. Geeze that island is gorgeous. Then I went into New Kaineng City and I was floored. That city is incredible! It would be multiple zones in other games. I'd actually poked my head into the first quest or two of HoT as well, which was also so cool. Dune vibes. But in both cases there were a handful of characters I didn't recognize, so I decided to go do things in order.

So much cool content!

"It depends."

Legendary design can be very polarizing, e.g. my frequent complains that legendary swords tend to look more lake paddles than something that would actually cut into an opponent. Some later legendary weapons have had more polished designs than Gen 1s, but not all of them and art is very subjective. Gen 1s do tend to be cheaper in terms of total materials compared to later generations, though I haven't really price shopped Gen 3s in depth.

That said, the best bang for your buck on legendaries are going to be for accessories more than weapons. All of your characters can use legendary accessories whereas weapons will depend on what you're maining. My one legendary weapon is a sword but my mains during my last play spree didn't use swords. If you really do stick to a character and spec then a legendary weapon is a stronger contender for resource sink of choice, but do consider your other options too, especially if you're the type to buy character slots.

THAT said, character slots are best bought during sales, especially the annual ones like Black Friday or the game's anniversary.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Mostly agreed except that last point. So far the best discount we’ve seen on character slots in the last year is 20%. I know because I was considering one all last year and eventually just gave up waiting for anything better.

• Options
    Is there anything interesting going on with Lunar New Year this year? Like, are there celebrations anywhere in Cantha or are those mysteriously absent?

• Options
    I ran around New Kaineng City and whatever the town you start EoD in is earlier this week and didn't see any Lunar New Year stuff there. That is kind of a conspicuous oversight now that you mention it. Looks like they even called it Canthan New Year in GW1.

After googling the term earlier this week, I join a HoT HP train this morning. What fun! And I got 220 or so despite not being able to stay for the whole thing, which gives me enough to fill out the Tempest tree and try that out. I'm pretty excited! I also discovered that the Ascended jewelery is account bound, when I was reading the wiki to figure out what to do for this character's. So I was able to take pieces from my other characters and have 4 Ascended already (yay for the ubiquitous utility of Berserker's stats). So alt-friendly!

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/studio-update-guild-wars-2-in-2023/
    Living World is dead going forward. The game is shifting to smaller, cheaper, and faster-to-release expansions with quarterly updates, instead of a big expansion and two-four years of Living World and other updates.
    Our future expansions for Guild Wars 2 will be the backbone of this new approach. Rather than launching an expansion every two to four years with a season of Living World in between, we’ll be releasing smaller expansions more frequently at a slightly reduced price and adding additional content for those expansions through quarterly updates, meaning that the next big release is only ever a few months away.

The first release in an expansion cycle is the launch point for a new story arc, bringing with it two new open-world maps, two Strike Missions, new gameplay and combat features, new Masteries, and new rewards. In the following quarterly updates, we’ll add another open-world map, additional story chapters, challenge modes for the Strike Missions, a new fractal dungeon and challenge mode, new rewards, and additions to the new systems introduced in that expansion. Once that expansion’s story is complete, the next expansion will be just around the corner.
    Also a road map for spring:
    February 14: Profession Balance Update, WvW Objective Reward Scaling, Chromium Embedded Framework Upgrade
    February 28: New Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons Map and Story Content, Soo-Won Legendary Variant
    March 28: Super Adventure Festival
    April 18: DX11 Upgrade Complete
    May 2: Profession Balance Update
    (The new story update isn't Living World, it's permanent, so you don't miss out on it if you don't login)

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    I asked how they will keep LS and Expansions up together when they had to basically abandon Icebrood to work on EoD, I guess this is the answer.

I will continue to show up buying things like an idiot but this doesn't make me feel any better about the game's future. Although the lack of anything about elite specs is concerning.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    There was a free character remake thing Total Makeover Kit (change anything except race and prof) in the gem store when I logged in today, that I assume is for everyone. Go snag it if you haven't!

I just finished LW S1, and I'm looking forward to playing the expansions' stories. It'll be ages until I make it through all 3 though (never mind doing IBS someday), so I'll have to decide whether to pick up these new episodic things live or put them off until after EoD.

Edit: Ooh, the randomize buttons for dyes and wardrobe are pretty fun! The dyes keep a theme rather than pure random. Good idea!

Red Raevyn on
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I definitely have made some abominations with the random skins button. I love it.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    https://gaming.amazon.com/convenience-set/dp/amzn1.pg.item.b50de03e-7a0d-408c-a2ef-424f157bf354?ingress=twch

Twitch Prime is doing another GW2 set... bank express and TP express and stuff like that.

• Options
    New content out. I am betting right now that we're going to The Deep to face Kanaxai.

• Options
    They're making some updates to the gemstore and black lion statuette stores.
    Also, the Spring Sale has started. No more 24 hour flash sales; instead you have a few days to grab sale items.
    Week 1
    February 28–March 6: 30% Off All Gliders and Backpack and Glider Combos
    February 28–March 2: 20% Off Black Lion Chest Keys
    March 3–9: 30% Off Shared Inventory Slots
    Week 2
    March 7–March 13: 30% Off All Unique Weapon Skins
    March 10–16: 25% Off Bag Slot Expansions
    Week 3
    March 14–20: 30% Off All Standalone Unique Mount Skins
    March 17–23: 30% Off Bank Slot Expansions and Storage Expanders
    Week 4
    March 21–27: 30% Off Outfits
    March 24–30: 25% Off Character Slots Expansions and Equipment and Build Template Expansions
    March 28–31: 30% Off Unique Armor Skins

Further-also, there's a resource-based event. Talk to an NPC near the BLTC places in major cities and they'll ask for 250 of some resources. Give them and you get credit towards an achievement. Looks like if you fulfill their requests for 2 out of the 4 weeks you get a Build Expansion Tab, and if you do all 4 weeks you get a weapon skin ticket... and then each week has it's own reward for just that week (this week it's a few statuettes).

• Options
    edited March 2023
    New content out. I am betting right now that we're going to The Deep to face Kanaxai.
    I was mostly correct! We haven't seen Kanaxai yet (he may be dead tbh), but we have ABSOLUTELY seen Oni (in GW1 they were said to be the final result of Kanaxai's corruption on humans). The haze/miasma has similar effects to the various debuffs in the original Deep as well, and the Jade Brotherhood guys are showing the same symptoms as the Luxon Outcasts.

THE ONI ARE COMPLETELY TERRIFYING. They have a habit of ambushing you suddenly out of nowhere and they hit like god damn trucks. Pocket raptors got nothing on these guys.

ugh I might buy more character slots lol. I barely even play this game anymore but every so often I'm like "I could make a pretty new character yay :D "

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    I was mostly correct! We haven't seen Kanaxai yet (he may be dead tbh), but we have ABSOLUTELY seen Oni (in GW1 they were said to be the final result of Kanaxai's corruption on humans). The haze/miasma has similar effects to the various debuffs in the original Deep as well, and the Jade Brotherhood guys are showing the same symptoms as the Luxon Outcasts.

THE ONI ARE COMPLETELY TERRIFYING. They have a habit of ambushing you suddenly out of nowhere and they hit like god damn trucks. Pocket raptors got nothing on these guys.

ugh I might buy more character slots lol. I barely even play this game anymore but every so often I'm like "I could make a pretty new character yay :D "

If you do, hold off til later in the month. It’s the best discount we’ve seen on character slots in over a year (but not as good as it’s ever been).

Speaking of @Red Raevyn because we were talking about character slots upthread.

Perrsun on
  • Options
    Ooh nice, thanks for the tag. A makeover kit for my old 80 warrior quelled the urge fit now, but I may buy one anyway when they go on sale.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I just downloaded this, somewhat on a whim.

Brand new player here.

Is Elementalist an okay class? I want to blow stuff up and be a mage. That seems like what this is? What about support? I know this game claims to not have the holy trinity, but are there things like crowd control, or buffs/debuffs, etc that would be desirable in a group? I've played EQ, which has an enchanter class, which is heavy CC and buffs. Is Mesmer anything like that?

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    The short answer is that every class can play every role (though some don't really get to until you hit 80 and start unlocking the extra talent trees), including a supporter/controller playstyle. In fact the Concentration stat on gear is literally only for increasing how long the buffs you give people last. Elementalist primarily takes the role of a buffer in its support role. I would largely say that you should aim at whatever class feels like it fills the aesthetic fantasy you're most looking for and go from there. And once you're comfortable with how the game plays, it's a very quick experience to level a new alt up to max level anyway, so you won't have much of a problem experimenting.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    My main is an Elementalist, they're very fun imo! The big thing they've got going for them is instead of weapon swap that every other class has we have elemental attunements, so instead of 2 sets of 5 weapon skills you have 4 sets of 5 skills available to you as you cycle through the elements. And you will cycle, you will be cycling so much; which can be a lot to get used to, but it is deeply satisfying when you get a good rotation going.

In the olden days Staff Ele was the best support in the game, that is alas not the case anymore but it's still pretty decent if I say so myself. For leveling I recommend trying out the various weapon combos and seeing what is fun, I levelled almost entirely with dagger/dagger before starting to kit myself out more for support. Dagger Ele is extremely mobile, close range blasting with lots of flipping around and looking cool. Scepter/Focus is more traditional mid-range spell-slinging and staff is support and big AoEs. In my opinion Elementalists are also one of the best at underwater combat, though in general most folks prefer to avoid that sort of thing.

• Options
    Yeah, when I came back (in December) it was Elementalist that ended up grabbing me. It's fast and fun and can put out enough CC I can tell I'm helping break CC bars on world boss fights. And being able to heal others feels good too. Have fun!

• Options
    I’ve had EOD for a while but never actually did the missions to get into Cantha. Today I did the first mission.

You could say that was… an adventure.
    And I’m talking to people and having… conversations.
    The voice acting is surprisingly… competent.
    But the dialogue writing is… problematic.

I think every person in this mission has done the “I’m going to pause and choose my words carefully to give dramatic effect” trope. And then once out of the mission I’m exploring the first area… super nice looking. Tons to see. And the NPCs are doing that trope as well.

:/

• Options
    Perrsun wrote: »
    I’ve had EOD for a while but never actually did the missions to get into Cantha. Today I did the first mission.

You could say that was… an adventure.
    And I’m talking to people and having… conversations.
    The voice acting is surprisingly… competent.
    But the dialogue writing is… problematic.

I think every person in this mission has done the “I’m going to pause and choose my words carefully to give dramatic effect” trope. And then once out of the mission I’m exploring the first area… super nice looking. Tons to see. And the NPCs are doing that trope as well.

:/

I have gotten so goddamn spoiled by FFXIV's writing and (post-ARR) voice acting that GW2 is just like. What. Why. Why did these characters do that. Do I even care about these people.

(Detective Rama is pretty cool tho)

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    gw2 is very YA novel in its writing to me, in the ways that that is both a compliment and a derogatory

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    If Joss Whedon wrote a YA novel and it was stuck in a time warp for 15 years.

reVerse on
  • Options
    reVerse wrote: »
    If Joss Whedon wrote a YA novel and it was stuck in a time warp for 15 years.

naw, the game's kinder to its female characters than Joss is.