As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pride and Prejudice and Goncharov [Movies]

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I gotta say, Volcano had the better "character saves people by jumping into something hot" scene than Dante's Peak, regardless of how silly it was.

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    asofyeun wrote: »
    As my students in WA State History had finished up with their final on Tuesday, I used yesterday & today to show them Dante's Peak.

Having not seen that movie in the past two decades I'm happy to report: it rules!

A truly bonkers disaster movie!!

i never saw dante's peak, only ever saw the other volcano disaster movie that came out at the same time, appropriately titled volcano

Well @asofyeun, if you have access to Hulu, you should make yourself a bowl a popcorn and watch Dante's Peak because it is grade-A dumb fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8HNlhVbGzY

alright but that means you have to watch Volcano on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvwPii6Q0PU

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    I gotta say, Volcano had the better "character saves people by jumping into something hot" scene than Dante's Peak, regardless of how silly it was.

Watching that dude slowly sink into lava haunted me

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    As my students in WA State History had finished up with their final on Tuesday, I used yesterday & today to show them Dante's Peak.

Having not seen that movie in the past two decades I'm happy to report: it rules!

A truly bonkers disaster movie!!

i never saw dante's peak, only ever saw the other volcano disaster movie that came out at the same time, appropriately titled volcano

Well @asofyeun, if you have access to Hulu, you should make yourself a bowl a popcorn and watch Dante's Peak because it is grade-A dumb fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8HNlhVbGzY

alright but that means you have to watch Volcano on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvwPii6Q0PU

You know what, sure, yeah.

I can watch Volcano tonight.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

There are three scenes that stand out to me in Volcano, in no particular order.

1. Guy saves subway passengers by jumping into lava.
    2. The bomb squad guy stays with his partner to demolish the building correctly after they get trapped.
    3. Ann Heche breathlessly studying the footage of how quickly the lava is moving underground and Tommy Lee Jones is completely wrong.

I love VOLCANO!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    I also don't think the intended targets of The Menu are exclusively, or even most predominantly, the food industry

Like, regardless of how well it hit the targets it was aiming for, I have a hard time looking at a film that
    includes among its victims a snooty fan who thinks he knows everything but cant make his own thing, a critic, mindless consumers who cant remember the things they consumed, and very specifically a sell-out actor, and going "this film is taking aim at the food industry"

In fact, id argue when it tries to specifically bring the metaphor back closer to the food industry is when the seams started to show for me and when the movie felt the broadest

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Well shit, now I want to watch Volcano!

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    the guy melting into the lava is hilarious.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I melted into lava once

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I melted into lava once

Hot

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I melted into lava once

I’ll stop the world and melt with you.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I've never seen Volcano, but I have seen Joe vs the Volcano, which I assume is similar

• Options
    What if it's just a shot for shot remake of Shadow of the Vampire

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Eggers just looking to save on prosthetics and makeup

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    I have a local video store that is also a Filipino grocery store

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    i have watched the Dante's Peak

that is, indeed, a late 90's volcano disaster movie

my favorite sequence was the dog rescue

sadly it does not topple Volcano as my favorite volcano-based disaster movie

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/Ia3bZdPSmXY

Yes, yes, we all know Dante's Peak and Volcano. But have you asked yourself, "What if there was a Chinese Jurassic Park, only instead of dinosaurs it was volcanoes? And it had Jason Isaacs in it?"

It's on Hulu and while it's not great, it's worth checking out if you're into that kind of disaster movie.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »
    I have a local video store that is also a Filipino grocery store

yeah there's still a video rental shop in this tiny town too
    the big chains are gone but people still rent DVDs

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    What if it's just a shot for shot remake of Shadow of the Vampire

It's about the making of Shadow of the Vampire, but what they don't know is that Willem Dafoe is actually a Nosferatu.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I believe the premise of Volcano is that on a random day the fury of Hell emerges, hungry for the city of LA.

This movie, like Dante's Peak, also rules.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    I also don't think the intended targets of The Menu are exclusively, or even most predominantly, the food industry

Like, regardless of how well it hit the targets it was aiming for, I have a hard time looking at a film that
    includes among its victims a snooty fan who thinks he knows everything but cant make his own thing, a critic, mindless consumers who cant remember the things they consumed, and very specifically a sell-out actor, and going "this film is taking aim at the food industry"

In fact, id argue when it tries to specifically bring the metaphor back closer to the food industry is when the seams started to show for me and when the movie felt the broadest

This was why I thought Menu could be about movies, because it could be
    the youtuber who can't actually shoot anything but pretends to know everything, entitled critics are somewhat universal, the people who watch movies (especially franchise movies) just to check off a box and not even caring about the movie itself, and sell-out actors

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Nosferatu should have an erupting volcano in it, is what I’m hearing.

• Options
    VisskarVisskar Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I've never seen Volcano, but I have seen Joe vs the Volcano, which I assume is similar

Coincidently enough, Tommy Lee Jones plays 3 different characters in Volcano.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I miss when we’d get 2 similar action movies back to back and could do a direct comparison of them.

• Options
    I’m trying to work my way out of a funk so it’s comfort movie day

Starting with Satanic Panic

• Options
    Babysitter now

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Satanic Panic is definitely more than 19 minutes long

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Satanic Panic is definitely more than 19 minutes long

I was almost done when I posted about it!

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    You could have just been very efficient in watching it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    To keep up the pace in today's modern go go go world, I watch all movies at Benny Hill speed

• Options
    I just watch 6 movies at once.

3 of them are She-Devil starring Roseanne Barr

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Ketar wrote: »

Yes, yes, we all know Dante's Peak and Volcano. But have you asked yourself, "What if there was a Chinese Jurassic Park, only instead of dinosaurs it was volcanoes? And it had Jason Isaacs in it?"

It's on Hulu and while it's not great, it's worth checking out if you're into that kind of disaster movie.

God this looks so dumb (the premise, at least. The action looks fine) The guy getting knocked off the jetski by a flying ball of lava got me good.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Volcanoes are no big deal, as long as you've got a Toyota pickup truck
    https://youtu.be/mt6E_IZOtDE

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    I miss when we’d get 2 similar action movies back to back and could do a direct comparison of them.

You will get super hero movies where the third act cgi set piece is so muddled that you could clip in scenes from the other super hero movie released last month and not notice and you will like it mister!

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Ketar wrote: »

God this looks so dumb (the premise, at least. The action looks fine) The guy getting knocked off the jetski by a flying ball of lava got me good.

The trailer gives you the gist of the premise - luxury theme park for tourists to come get insanely up close with a volcano that meets with inevitable disaster - but it doesn't at all prepare you for the incredibly dumb family melodrama that makes up the emotional heart of the film.

It starts off with a flashback to 20 years ago or so when a sudden, unexpected eruption on an island kills the geologist wife of volcanologist Li Wentao/mother of Xiao Meng. This causes Xiao Meng to hate her father, holding a grudge against him for the rest of her life. Cue the present day, where Xiao Meng has also become a volcanologist and is now working at Volcanic Park (on the same island! focused around showing off the same volcano!). I can't remember exactly how but they manufacture a way for her father to end up there too, aware of the signs of an impending eruption and desperate to rescue his daughter from suffering the same fate as her mother.

Throw in an underwater marriage proposal gone wrong, a rural village in need of evacuation, and plenty of high speed escape and rescue efforts and it makes for a decently fun time. Not great, but I think you know what you're getting if you watch the trailer.

Ketar on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular

Was the last time this happened the two about DC and the president being attacked? And they both got sequels with another famous city being attacked?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Sadly, White House Down, THE BETTER ONE, did not get a sequel, but Olympus Has Fallen got two. Somehow

• Options
    Reynolds wrote: »

Was the last time this happened the two about DC and the president being attacked? And they both got sequels with another famous city being attacked?

White House Down and Olympus Has Fallen?

I can’t think of any since then so it’s possible.

This discussion has been closed.