As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hitman]

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying that the pricing and package bundles are still completely fucking opaque.

Alright, I own Hitman 1 and Hitman 2, maybe some DLC on those (but I don't know what). I don't own Hitman 3. There's HITMAN: World of Assassination for one price with a bunch of shit and HITMAN: World of Assassination Deluxe Bundle for another cheaper price with also a bunch of shit. So what the fuck am I buying here? Are they just deliberately obscuring what shit comes with what so I can't tell what I'm getting without buying it? Because presumably I should get access to everything Hitman 1 and Hitman 2 and Hitman 3 if I buy the cheaper Deluxe bundle, because I already own the prior 2 games?

Honestly, I've never seen a game offering so utterly determined to make it unclear just what they fuck you will get or should get.

• AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    I'm enjoying that the pricing and package bundles are still completely fucking opaque.

Alright, I own Hitman 1 and Hitman 2, maybe some DLC on those (but I don't know what). I don't own Hitman 3. There's HITMAN: World of Assassination for one price with a bunch of shit and HITMAN: World of Assassination Deluxe Bundle for another cheaper price with also a bunch of shit. So what the fuck am I buying here? Are they just deliberately obscuring what shit comes with what so I can't tell what I'm getting without buying it? Because presumably I should get access to everything Hitman 1 and Hitman 2 and Hitman 3 if I buy the cheaper Deluxe bundle, because I already own the prior 2 games?

Honestly, I've never seen a game offering so utterly determined to make it unclear just what they fuck you will get or should get.

Still confusing, yes, but thankfully, not nearly as confusing as it used to be.
    The Deluxe Pack is an addon, rather than a "Deluxe Edition" type thing (they allude to one being available, but I couldn't find it). It includes the expansion packs for Hitman 2 and 3.
    The HITMAN World of Assassination is the actual game, which as of today, also includes all the base content from the previous two games for every purchaser - regardless of if they've previously owned Hitman 1/2.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    AkimboEG wrote: »

Still confusing, yes, but thankfully, not nearly as confusing as it used to be.
    The Deluxe Pack is an addon, rather than a "Deluxe Edition" type thing (they allude to one being available, but I couldn't find it). It includes the expansion packs for Hitman 2 and 3.
    The HITMAN World of Assassination is the actual game, which as of today, also includes all the base content from the previous two games for every purchaser - regardless of if they've previously owned Hitman 1/2.

So Hitman: World of Assassination is just the combined collected GOTY editions of Hitman 1, Hitman 2, and Hitman 3 with everything everything? And the Deluxe package isn't a game at all, it's just DLC?

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    no. Hitman: WoA is the new name for Hitman 1 GOTY, 2, and 3 combined. You can't buy 1 or 2 anymore, or 3 on it's own, just WoA which is all three games.
    Then there's a DLC pack, the Deluxe Pack, which gives you the DLC that isn't already included: The H2 Expansion Pass, Hitman 3 Deluxe Pack, and Hitman 3 7 Deadly Sins.

That's all there is. It's a combo of all 3 games, and a DLC pack that gives you the rest of the content.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The system for the most part no longer gives a frick if you've ever bought 1 or 2. If you ever bought 3, you got WoA and all the previous content whether you owned it or not. Since you said you never bought 3, then you want WoA.

The deluxe pass is a bit silly, because I don't know why they didn't just bake in all that bonus H2 stuff into the game proper. The one bit of tracking they're doing is whether or not you bought any of H2 or H3's DLC. For me, the only thing I never bought was the Deadly Sins pack, and the whole pass is discounted to $15 CND for me.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited January 2023
    Okay, so if I buy World of Assassination, I get: everything for H1, just the core game for H2, some of the H3 DLC, and H3 itself? But not all of the DLC content for H3 or H2?

And if I want everything everything, I have to get World of Assassination plus the Deluxe pack?

Ninja Snarl P on
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    I have so little memory of some of these maps and Freelancer mode is extremely difficult. Still feels good to be back Hitting Mans.

Okay, so if I buy World of Assassination, I get: everything for H1, just the core game for H2, some of the H3 DLC, and H3 itself? But not all of the DLC content for H3 or H2?

And if I want everything everything, I have to get World of Assassination plus the Deluxe pack?

That's it, exactly.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Only two missions in on Freelancer, but it doesn't look like there's any penalty for getting spotted doing illegal stuff? I had one courier who straight up refused to get lured out of sight, so I eventually decided to hell with it, knocked him over the head with a crowbar, stole his money and ran for it.
    Seemed to work out okay.

Question from someone who thought he knew these games inside out; what the hell is a water canister kill? My first contract wanted me to do one in Miami, but I had no idea what one was or how to arrange one, so I substituted a screwdriver and just took the lower payout.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Did one mission before bed. Bit of a rough time without a silenced gun, so I couldn't easily pop three cameras for extra moneys or avoid combat state, so I just found some good angles and clicked on heads and went and hid.

Turns out "no witnesses" means "seeing you do it", because people sure saw that guy drop dead in the middle of a crowd.

I don't know if they will give any missions on the Hawkes Bay map, but I'd really like to raid that panic room for gear.
    (If I were designing it I'd almost certainly remove the super useful items like the dart gun and lockpick, but I can dream)

Suppliers keep having super handy stuff like the emetic pistol, and I don't have the cash to get them and I know they're not going to show up again for ages.

edited January 2023
    Yeah, they've probably changed some stuff around for that reason. I can't remember if the sniper dude on Mumbai usually has his case with him so you can stash his rifle in the case, but there's no case on Freelancer.

Echo on
    klemming wrote: »
    Only two missions in on Freelancer, but it doesn't look like there's any penalty for getting spotted doing illegal stuff? I had one courier who straight up refused to get lured out of sight, so I eventually decided to hell with it, knocked him over the head with a crowbar, stole his money and ran for it.
    Seemed to work out okay.

Question from someone who thought he knew these games inside out; what the hell is a water canister kill? My first contract wanted me to do one in Miami, but I had no idea what one was or how to arrange one, so I substituted a screwdriver and just took the lower payout.

They added two new items, oil and water canisters. They look like jerry cans and you can use them to make an oil or water puddle anywhere. I have no idea where to find them, if there are even any in the wild. I'm pretty sure they changed all the levels as well, because a few times I've tried looking at an online map for like a wrench or rat poison, to no avail. It's always been my minor complaint with the games. You may need a specific tool, but it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack with how massive and dense the levels are.

In a way this mode can be a lot easier, because a lot of objectives don't give a hoot about being a Silent Assassin. My first mission I was trying to get past a camera before I realized... I don't have to give a shit. There are still bonus objectives that can pop up though that will ask for just that.

I think the tasks where you have to identify a suspect might need work. I had one, the suspect has a hat, brown hair, a necklace, is dehydrated, snacks, and has a tattoo. Out of 4 possible suspects, all had hats/brown hair/necklace. #1 I'm sure their AI is broken because they do absolutely nothing. #2 is the only one with a tattoo. And #3 is the only one to stop and eat something. So I kill the tattoo guy, non target. Kill the snacker, non target. I find the 3rd target who is standing by a window I'm trying to climb in, and when I do they just vanish and teleport 100 yards away, to the 4th suspect in fact. They start to have a meeting, and by this point I just say "fuck it" and shoot the both of them and run.

Yeah, that was really buggy in the closed beta too, to the degree where the potential targets were walking 20 meters up in the air.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Oil and water canisters only spawn in item crates or you can buy them from suppliers

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    I tried using one in the bank to make my target slip but it didn't work.

Still haven't succeeded at a showdown, but I'm really enjoying the roguelite Hitman.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Freelance mode is fun so far, the limited toolset resulted in some, uh, unexpected casualties. I suspect though that as soon as I get a silenced pistol, things will smooth out massively again. Which is probably not ideal, but the bonus objectives that call for violent action may be incentive enough to play it not-too-safe

e: oh okay, *all* the gear is gone if you lose a campaign! Good. This will stay challenging then
    e2: uh, weapons stay, gear does not? wha

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    I have so little memory of some of these maps and Freelancer mode is extremely difficult. Still feels good to be back Hitting Mans.

As it turns out I was just incredibly unlucky for some of my first attempts. Just murderized the second syndicate.

If you were like me and worried about XP gain it seems like it ramps up the farther you get into the campaign. My second tier showdown gave me a huge chunk of xp. Also, don't worry about spending merces to complete extra objectives, because those are also a GREAT source of XP. I imagine once I start needing more powerful gear that will shift, but unlocking a higher gear cap seems VERY useful.

Is there a mod that changes the "tension/combat" music to yakety sax?
    because there should be

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

edited January 2023
    Yeah, I like the change in restrictions in these missions.
    • Lure guard away
    • Throw propane flask at head
    • Other guard sees this, I'm compromised
    • I run into room with no other exits, hide in box
    • Guard go "welp, guess nobody here", search elsewhere
    • Drag unconscious guard into room, dump in box, hide in box
    • Things cool down, switch to guard's outfit, no longer compromised

"No combat" challenge still not failed.

Echo on
    It's also fun to figure out things by observing the target.

Oh, this dude is a heavy smoker. What did we say about not smoking by the fuel barrels?

Oh yeah, the intel about the suspects is pretty funny. Never seen so many red-haired, glasses-wearing, sugar-craving hat enthusiasts in one place before

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

I keep going "No? Not the target? OK, stash the body, this dude that perfectly matches the clues has to be the one for sure."

At least there seems to be no downsides to randomly murdering the wrong suspect.

Yeah, and I suggest fixing the bug that randomly starts dropping me to sub-10 FPS that hasn't happened before.

8o4671wt8c3g.png

edited January 2023
    Echo wrote: »
    I keep going "No? Not the target? OK, stash the body, this dude that perfectly matches the clues has to be the one for sure."

At least there seems to be no downsides to randomly murdering the wrong suspect.

I try to go for a ghost (SA) approach, which makes it more hilarious how these things play out atm

e: and to calm my nerves I can pick up missing masteries (two levels, Sgail and Ambrose currently) and challenges. Hitman still feels pretty damn good

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

Yeah, this game just feels enjoyable to pick up every now and then.

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    How rogue is the roguelite? Like what happens if you die on a mission?

PSN: Honkalot
    Echo wrote: »
    Yeah, and I suggest fixing the bug that randomly starts dropping me to sub-10 FPS that hasn't happened before.

8o4671wt8c3g.png

I got that on Sgáil the second I get to the upper area with guests in front of the altar thing. I basically can't take on a mission there.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    Honk wrote: »
    I think you lose any gear you were carrying? I don't know if the whole syndicate mission fails, or if you can go back in and try again.

• ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    You fail the whole campaign if you fail 2 missions. Haven't played Hitman 3 beyond the demo and enjoying Freelancer.

76561197966849367.png
    Ugh, nope, Paris FPS dies too.
    I think you lose any gear you were carrying? I don't know if the whole syndicate mission fails, or if you can go back in and try again.

You have to do 2, 3 or 4 missions to open a "showdown" mission when taking on a syndicate. If you die while doing one of those non-showdown missions, you will fail the mission and lose all gear you presently were carrying.

If you die in the showdown, you will lose your current "run" as well as half your money and all the Agency Gear.

You don't lose the guns you leave in your gun wall ever, though.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    edited January 2023
    Praise the Gun Wall! Gotta catch 'em all.

I also like that this mode actually lets you get away with murder-hoboing your way through a mission. You might not make as much money, but you can finish it.

Echo on
    Detective Columbo says it was a weird suicide pact.

3u7nf4f4j31c.png

d5yr8dzlrdhg.png

...and I cracked a safe with 3,977 moneys in it.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I'd been waiting for this to go on a decent sale. 45% off and Hitman 1 and (most of) 2 for free is that sale.

Played the demo a bit before buying it and had fun, now it's installing.

Also, holy moly raytracing performs badly. With FSR on I go from ~200fps to ~40fps.

Killed my first syndicate leader, more by luck than judgement.
    I had four suspects, all matching the physical description. The other traits were foodie, dehydrated, and secret meeting(?).
    I found a couple that stopped to eat, but no-one drinking that I could see, and I couldn't tell what Secret Meeting looked like. But after 30 minutes I noticed that one of them had gained a new trait; standing partway in the floor and vibrating constantly.
    Figuring that was probably the target by elimination of all the other possibilities, I figured that getting them to slip and/or electrocute themselves wasn't going to happen, so I sniped them with my trusty screwdriver and apparently got the right one. I guess it's better to be lucky than good?

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    Ugh, nope, Paris FPS dies too.

You have to do 2, 3 or 4 missions to open a "showdown" mission when taking on a syndicate. If you die while doing one of those non-showdown missions, you will fail the mission and lose all gear you presently were carrying.

If you die in the showdown, you will lose your current "run" as well as half your money and all the Agency Gear.

You don't lose the guns you leave in your gun wall ever, though.

Maybe it’ll make it more clear once I try it for myself but those rules seem harsh as hell.

PSN: Honkalot
    I found a couple that stopped to eat, but no-one drinking that I could see, and I couldn't tell what Secret Meeting looked like.

The icons above them change to match what you see with the suspect camera. There's also Business Meeting, which is another reason for them to meet up.

Yesterday it took me 30 minutes of stalking one suspect to finally tag him as a foodie which was the last clue I needed.

I'm not 100% sure on this yet, but I think each suspect has two tells and only the actual leader has the correct two ones, so I think you can rule suspects out as soon as they do another tell, which you can see from the icons.

Lookouts and Assassins; if I'm pretty sure I know who they are, is there a downside to killing them or knocking them out (absent objectives like silent assassin)?

edited January 2023
    Lookouts and Assassins; if I'm pretty sure I know who they are, is there a downside to killing them or knocking them out (absent objectives like silent assassin)?

Not that I've found from knocking them out.
    Also got my first silenced gun from one.

Echo on