As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pride and Prejudice and Goncharov [Movies]

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    White House down, the far superior movie, didn’t get a sequel though.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Wikipedia calls them Twin films, although they're a bit looser on some of these than I would be

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Wikipedia calls them Twin films, although they're a bit looser on some of these than I would be

There’s quite a few on that list that I do not consider to be twin films at all.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I miss when we’d get 2 similar action movies back to back and could do a direct comparison of them.

Was the last time this happened the two about DC and the president being attacked? And they both got sequels with another famous city being attacked?

Wikipedia calls these "twin films" and has a whole entry about them. They have the most recent as being Violent Night and The Mean One, which I don't think fit together quite as well as pairings like the White House action movies or Deep Impact and Armageddon or Dante's Peak and Volcano.

On the other hand, the item before that is the two Pinocchio movies that came out last year.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Well shit, way to take way too long typing that up self.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    That one flick where Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito are brothers is a twins movie

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    Ketar wrote: »
    Well shit, way to take way too long typing that up self.

Get out of here ya long winded bastard!

• Options
    Out of all of the White House Down or Whatever has Fallen movies this is the one scene I will never forget

https://youtu.be/HJI4MnlyekQ

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    That one flick where Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito are brothers is a twins movie

What about movies starring Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen?

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I miss when we’d get 2 similar action movies back to back and could do a direct comparison of them.

Was the last time this happened the two about DC and the president being attacked? And they both got sequels with another famous city being attacked?

Wikipedia calls these "twin films" and has a whole entry about them. They have the most recent as being Violent Night and The Mean One, which I don't think fit together quite as well as pairings like the White House action movies or Deep Impact and Armageddon or Dante's Peak and Volcano.

On the other hand, the item before that is the two Pinocchio movies that came out last year.

The three Pinocchio movies that came out last year

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    The third has fallen movie has a scene where they set off mines that goes on for 3 minutes and it is the dumbest thing. It's great

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    Next summer: The Moon has Fallen: Gerard Butler fights terrorists on, and in the Moon. And then he fights the Moon itself in order to save the President

• Options
    Chall wrote: »
    Next summer: The Moon has Fallen: Gerard Butler fights terrorists on, and in the Moon. And then he fights the Moon itself in order to save the President

Not Gerard Butler but watch Moon Fall

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Chall wrote: »

Not Gerard Butler but watch Moon Fall

Or just take a nap and enjoy your afternoon that much more.

• Options
    Moon Fall rules!

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Moonfall was dope I went to see it and it obviously wasn't packed, but there was a dude who was like, scoffing at scientific inaccuracies, some real Neil Degrasse Tyson shit

eventually, the dude a few seats down from me yelled "SHUT UP NERD, NO ONE CARES"

edit: "movie 'bout an evil moon and this guy talking about how spaceships don't work and that."

Depressperado on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Frank Conniff likes Moonfall, so at worst it's a good bad movie

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    God, I hated Moonfall. Just an endless cavalcade of me going "Oh hey, you could do something real cool with that setup. So... are you?" and Moonfall replying "Fuck no, we're not gonna do the cool thing."

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    What Moonfall presupposes is, what if the moon... Fell?

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I could have sworn there was already a Gerald Butler vs the Moon movie but no, I was thinking of Geostorm. Gerard Butler vs a Space Station/Weather machine.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Gerard butler will fight anything in a movie. Just point him in the right direction, wind him up, and he’ll go punch String Theory in the face for a paycheck.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Roland Emmerich movies are always extremely stupid. Sometimes, they're stupid in a fun way (when he gets charismatic leads, mostly)

• Options

Yes…but so much more

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular

hv5gqh9bfw5u.png

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    I also don't think the intended targets of The Menu are exclusively, or even most predominantly, the food industry

Like, regardless of how well it hit the targets it was aiming for, I have a hard time looking at a film that
    includes among its victims a snooty fan who thinks he knows everything but cant make his own thing, a critic, mindless consumers who cant remember the things they consumed, and very specifically a sell-out actor, and going "this film is taking aim at the food industry"

In fact, id argue when it tries to specifically bring the metaphor back closer to the food industry is when the seams started to show for me and when the movie felt the broadest

This was why I thought Menu could be about movies, because it could be
    the youtuber who can't actually shoot anything but pretends to know everything, entitled critics are somewhat universal, the people who watch movies (especially franchise movies) just to check off a box and not even caring about the movie itself, and sell-out actors

I think it's much more broadly about how
    capitalism elevates and eventually destroys art through greed
    regardless of what medium/industry we're talking about

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I could have sworn there was already a Gerald Butler vs the Moon movie but no, I was thinking of Geostorm. Gerard Butler vs a Space Station/Weather machine.

Don't forget Gerard Butler vs Meteors in Greenland

• Options
    Carpy wrote: »

Don't forget Gerard Butler vs Meteors in Greenland

Or Gerard butler versus gravity in plane

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023

Yes…but so much more

I'd argue that it presupposes even less than that. The whole affair feels so muted and mhall compared to the usual Emmerich insanity, which is insane given the subject matter. It says weird dumb things instead of doing weird fun things.

I bounced off it like I bounced off Carter: it was a bland lifeless disaster instead of a fun insane disaster.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Plane was actually pretty good? Like, it was just a solid mindless popcorn action flick, and it was smart enough to keep things short and efficient. Some great cinematography for the chaos of plane crashes/fighting, too.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I've been watching Man From Uncle and it would be nice to see this charismatic Henry Cavill like anywhere else

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    God, M3GAN is such a fun movie

Love this little murderbot

• Options
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I've been watching Man From Uncle and it would be nice to see this charismatic Henry Cavill like anywhere else

I liked him a whole lot in that there Mission Impossible movie. MFU was definitely a better role for him, but MI was still pretty fun.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular

I'm sorry, I looked up the plot synopsis as I didn't think it'd be for me but...

THAT'S HOW IT ENDS?

• Options
    edited January 2023
    The greatest sin of the Synderverse is making Cavill play Superman as stoic. Superman should enjoy helping people! He should treat every life saved and disaster averted as being a positive and a big win, and he should get to have fun with his dual identities. And he should've got a chance to do some hero shit as Clark Kent, helping people with the pen as well as with his might. Pin some corrupt politician or abusive police to the wall with an expose and feel just as good about that as he does catching a falling piece of building before it hits the crowded street below.

Superman and Batman are supposed to be two sides of the hero coin: the one who protects as an obligation to prevent what happened to him from happening to others, and the one who protects because they genuinely enjoy helping people. If they're both brooding and stoic, then why do you even need both when you've essentially written the same character twice?

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    When I die I’ll be very angry and it’ll be because a) of what they did to Kelly Marie Tran in Rise of Skywalker, and b) because of what Zach Snyder did to Superman.

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    When I die I’ll be very angry and it’ll be because a) of what they did to Kelly Marie Tran in Rise of Skywalker, and b) because of what Zach Snyder did to Superman.

Don't wait until you die BE ANGRY NOW!

• Options
    sarukun wrote: »

You are right for saying it.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    caught a quiet matinee showing of Puss in Boots, that was real good

This discussion has been closed.