As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rocksteady's [Suicide Squad] and WB Montreal's [Gotham Knights]

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Eh, I'm not losing hope just yet - it's possible the battle pass is just for multiplayer and the game will manage to have a fulfilling single-player side. Tons of games have loads of monitization that can be safely ignored. I'm kinda gobsmacked by how many opportunities there are to give Persona 5 extra money, and you don't need to spend a cent to get the full experience, for interest. But I guess we'll see.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Did they ever fix the shader-stuttering thing on GK?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Eh, I'm not losing hope just yet - it's possible the battle pass is just for multiplayer and the game will manage to have a fulfilling single-player side. Tons of games have loads of monitization that can be safely ignored. I'm kinda gobsmacked by how many opportunities there are to give Persona 5 extra money, and you don't need to spend a cent to get the full experience, for interest. But I guess we'll see.

My fears on it could be completely wrong, but Avengers burned me too badly. Avengers battle pass was 'all cosmetic' as well, but it didn't stop the game from being a super boring slog of a game. Now I trust Rocksteady way more than I did Crystal Dynamics, but seeing battle pass tends to immediately turn me off.

Then again, as big of a DC fan as I am, I've never been a fan o the Suicide Squad, so the games entire premise doesn't appeal to me. But if the game at least has a great single player story and gameplay I could see myself giving it a go. We'll have to see what the end product looks like.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    I feel extremely confident Suicide Squad at least WAS designed as an Avengers style game. There is a possibility they tested the water and are now frantically trying to undo that, hence the delays. The basis of this is WB's history as the parent company of the franchise, industry trends as the game was being created, and oh yeah, literally every insider rumor that has ever been for the game. Versus the evidence to the contrary... which is nothing except for "I don't want it to be that kind of game."
    (From August of last year)

Always bet on WB being a mound of shit and you can also make accurate calls like me.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Gotham Knights I picked up on sale and cooped through with a friend and honestly I think it's fine to good.

I think the game has good bones and I wish this kind of game and progression and coop style could hook a bigger better game. It was better than Avengers and Anthem for me. Not that that's saying much, but I love action coop games and the only ones that have really been noteworthy for me over the past few years were monster hunter games.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Every bit of news that I see and read about Suicide Squad further un-sells me on it. This is reverse marketing.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah this news pretty much confirms(in my eyes at least) that the game started out as some GaaS thing that quickly jumped ship as that style of game started to rapidly lose popularity.

It might still be good but I'll have to wait and see.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Did they ever fix the shader-stuttering thing on GK?

Believe so, they patched pretty hard and frequently.

• Options
    Yea, I haven't run into any major glitches in a while. The patches they've done seems to have helped a lot.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    I had some technical problems, but I was apparently below minimum spec, which I didn't realize until now

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Picked Gotham Knight up from the library. Decent so far running Nightwing. Haven't broken myself from a decade plus is Arkham combat yet.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    The library? As in the book place? They do video games now?

(I have not stepped foot inside of a library since like 2005. I have no idea what kind of shenanigans they get up to in there these days.)

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

(I have not stepped foot inside of a library since like 2005. I have no idea what kind of shenanigans they get up to in there these days.)

Yea apparently they do games at some now. Even really new ones. Seems p cool.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Yea apparently they do games at some now. Even really new ones. Seems p cool.

My library system has DS, 360, Wii, and PS3 forward in their respective categories. I've gotten Crash Trilogy and Racing. Kids like Trilogy enough I bought it. We played through nearly half of Lego SW:TSS before the game came to GP. My son has gotten Pokemon White and LoZ to play on my old DS. I recall at one point seeing a kid playing Mario on the library's WiiU.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Is it just me, or is this Suicide Squad gameplay trailer in today's State of Play really bad?

The dialog is awful. Flash is horrible. Boomerang is horrible. Harley is a caricature of herself.

Combat looks sooooooooo boring.

This trailer has 100% unsold me on this game. Reverse marketing at its finest.

• Options
    Also, gear score? Uggghhhhh....

The UI looks exactly like Gotham Knights. I didn't hate Gotham Knights. It was fine. But I expect much better from Rocksteady.

And they're already talking about a battle pass, DLC, customization options, and all the things that I have grown to hate in modern gaming. They're throwing out all of the wrong buzzwords.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    It looks real bad.

"When you finish the game, you're not done" uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh yes I am. I don't want a fucking forever game. I just want a game to play through and then move on to the next one. Just stopppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I thought it looked super fun

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    It looks like a worse version of Crackdown.

And we already had that with Crackdown 2!

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Only caught the end of it, but was listening to someone talk over it and it got described as sunset overdrive meets fortnight - just not really the gameplay I'm looking for - I always like the look of all the arkham characters though, but kinda agree it's unselling itself before it's out

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Like all multiplayer games the bar it has to clear isn’t the usual does it look kinda cool, it’s whether or not my friends group thinks it’s cool and is interested in buying and playing it.

An open beta or demo of some kind is a must.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    I know I've been very negative on this game but here are my thoughts after the State of Play:

Every character looks like they play very similar. They all are just shooty mcbangs with some melee attacks.

RPG elements, future updates with new characters and missions, online co-op focus, Battle passes with 'only cosmetics'. It's sounding a lot, and I mean A LOT like Avengers and checking off all the same 'selling points.'

As a huge DC fan, it really irritates me that I cannot get excited for this game. Avengers didn't make me mad since I'm not a big Marvel guy, but man do I want some good DC games. Suicide Squad is just not my favorite team they could have made a game about. The fact that it looks like The Avengers with more guns just kills my interest. It just looks so generic and boring.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Enemies look like bullet sponges. All of the character playstyles look like variations of the same thing. The way you float around and shoot looks like every character is just Iron Man from Crystal Dynamics' Avengers. Game does not look good at all from a gameplay perspective.

And then when the extra stuff that the devs were saying is taken into consideration, such as battlepass, unlockable cosmetics, content drip and new missions, new character releases, it's just more live service drivel. Game looks generic as hell.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I feel extremely confident Suicide Squad at least WAS designed as an Avengers style game. There is a possibility they tested the water and are now frantically trying to undo that, hence the delays. The basis of this is WB's history as the parent company of the franchise, industry trends as the game was being created, and oh yeah, literally every insider rumor that has ever been for the game. Versus the evidence to the contrary... which is nothing except for "I don't want it to be that kind of game."
    (From August of last year)

Always bet on WB being a mound of shit and you can also make accurate calls like me.

To everyone who put their fingers in their ears and went la la la about Suicide Squad being a live service... we told you. We knew this for over a year.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    I have no idea what suits these characters or not, but I guess coming from Arkham and Spidey I was expecting less shooty. Not sure I want to play another co-op TPS that bad.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Suicide Squad, the definitely not a live service looter shooter, requires an Internet connection and is always online

https://kotaku.com/suicide-squad-justice-league-always-online-internet-faq-1850152549

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    They said the game takes place 5 years after the v end of Arkham Knight.

We know it has Batman voiced by Kevin Conroy.

Curious how they address that ending..

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I mean this gameplay looks miles better than Gotham Knights...
    https://youtu.be/EoXUE4TKHwc

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Eh kinda hard for me to get excited.

The reason I liked the Arkham games was that they weren't just more shooty pew pew games.

This looks like your blog standard PvE shooter. I mean it might be fun but NGL for something they've been working on this long was expecting them to bring a little something more than that.

• Options
    If anything I'm glad Rocksteady is getting to break out and try new things. Like this looks like the game I wanted Crackdown 3 or the Saints Row reboot to be. The giant jumps looks like a lot of fun.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    That did not look fun at all.

Very disappointed, I was looking forward to some fun melee with King Shark and instead he’s just shooting guns like Deadshit.

Edit - I don’t know why it out changed Deadshots name but imma leave it.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    I mean it would be cool if it looked like something that was new and not every PvE GaaS that was made last gen.

• Options
    Looks miles ahead both Gotham Knights and Marvel's Avengers just based on traversal alone. They literally show an ability where King Shark takes out his hook knifes. Looks like a blast to me. Reminds me of Sunset Overdrive too, another fun and fast paced shoot em up

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Eh I dunno. Sunset Overdrive was great but part of it was because of smart level design.

So far what we saw were characters just hopping around in a large arena that was dotted with elevated platforms here and there.

Like I'll see what the reviews so but so far unimpressed.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Always feels like shooty shoot games trying to get into the destiny space are like new MMO's trying to break into Wow territory, everytime a new one comes in, it gets compared to destiny and people inevitably just go back to destiny.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    You mean like... A city? They all have unique travel mechanics and unlike Gotham Knights, it actually looks fun and fluid to move around the city. This is something the Arkham games did well too

Anyways, I'm excited. Which in a world of mediocre modern super hero games, I went in with low expectations and came away positive

• Options
    I really don't think they wanna be a destiny, because destiny is a 10 year long project and was always intended to be. Most other live service model games end up F2P. I don't think this is that. Always online =/= live service. A service implies a season pass, lots of DLC (like, years worth) and constantly adding new playable characters and enemies.

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Isn't a battle pass without a long tale for multiple years worse? Why invest in cosmetics for a game your going to drop?

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Whether they want to be or not, they will get compared to it, and like all the other games that weren't destiny come up unfavorable.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Whether they want to be or not, they will get compared to it, and like all the other games that weren't destiny come up unfavorable.

Idk The Division was pretty popular, enough to get a sequel and a lot of content to support it. I think it's just the latest thing to hate on these days. Game looks fun to me, and that's all that really matters to me.