As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Apex Legends]: Breakout is here! 5 years of ApeLegs!

• OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    The skins look very very very rad. Not 25$ rad, but moreso than usual and thankfully none of my mains have any, so I'm gonna keep stockpiling that 2400 credits. Nearly wanted that Ash Skin with the heinous pink, but her tactical needs two charges ASAP! Ash buff is rumoured incoming, so.

The hardcore mode seems intense. Time to kill being so quick makes solo queue very challenging, and rats and snipers are gonna love the mode. Hardcore in the open ranges of World's Edge to be especially terrifying. It really fun change of pace, and reminder that the game's days as a Battle Royale will hopefully be numbered if more aggressive mode changes arrive. Everyone is adding Tarkov-lite to their games, and I hope this is a step to Apex trying for actually wild stuff.

• mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    I don’t really care for hardcore mode. Having to constantly flip back/forth between map/inventory/game screen is annoying, and I don’t have the twitch reflexes to survive low TTK fights. I rely in purple+ shields to give me time to react in a fight.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm definitely not looking to buy out this collection (if I cared about the 25th item I might, but I barely use the PK as it is), but I'm tempted to snag some of the emotes. Pricey, but those are pretty good. Maybe just Caustics. I like them all, but I barely play Ash, and while I've spent time on Octane/Pathfinder, they're not really among my main go-to Legends.

Caustic, however, I enjoy a great deal.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited January 2023
    Caustic is just so fun. I adore defensive legends, and enjoyed the LTM Control A LOT as a result.

I think every legend I really enjoy has a solid skin to wear that I'm not too hungry for any new ones.

The recent Rampart Skin I got to match her heirloom I lucked into cost me like 40$ and I mentally snapped and am free from the fugue state of free to play games and their $$$$$ premium skins.

Plus my rampart looks flyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

OmnomnomPancake on
    I don't get a lot of good clips, but as the title says, this 10 second bit was awfully satisfying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z92IPIUBIj4

Nice shots! I love the longbow, once you get the bullet drop figured out it hits like a truck.

Damn you make the Longbow cool. Fuck, I need to unlock Reaper on consoles, he's so cool. Do you enjoy him as a main?

Something about super fast crouch walking and super high wall climbing makes me wanna play Reaper as the most disruptive character. Like if I had a dedicated squad of pals, Reaper is such menace. And he feels really well-rounded; solid passives, solid ult, solid tactical and maybe if they give him fortified due to his IMMENSE hitbox I'd love him more.

Reminds me of Ash, actually. Both characters really seems to reward teamplay more than others.

I'm not as adamant about having a close/mid and long range weapon available these days, but if I haven't dropped on something I like more, I often roll with something close up (R-99, Flatline, 301, etc) and a Marksman or Sniper (default being the Triple Take, which doubles as a shotgun in a pinch, or the Longbow. I suck with the Sentinel and Charge Rifle, so those are used begrudgingly at best).

Funnily enough, I enjoy Revenant, but I don't play him very often. My most played Legends are Loba, Bloodhound, Caustic, and Bangalore. I dabble in all of them, and used to undertake a challenge alongside a couple of friends to get one (or more) wins per season on every character, but as the roster grew that became unsustainable. I just don't play enough, and don't get enough wins (23-42 per season, at a glance) to really enjoy it. Especially since it can lend itself to dropping a lot on a lower utility Legend, or one I'm not very proficient with, or just straight out am not fond of the playstyle for.

We gave that up a year or more ago, and now I just play what I need for dailies/weeklies or what I feel like. Loba is definitely my main, but I snagged Bloodhound's prestige skin during the last Anniversary, and the quest to get in 130k damage took quite a while. I suspect S15 or 16 will be my last for the foreseeable future, so I'm definitely not starting another of those grinds.

But yeah, I enjoy Revenant. He's just such a dick to everyone, wall climbing to unexpected places is great fun, the silence and totem rushing people are a blast when they land, all told it's not a character I dislike, simply not one of the legends I default to, which are enough that he's more on the higher part of the list where I'll focus on them for weeklies unless a Legend I enjoy more is in that particular trio, or overlaps with some other challenges.

Forar wrote: »
    I'm not as adamant about having a close/mid and long range weapon available these days, but if I haven't dropped on something I like more, I often roll with something close up (R-99, Flatline, 301, etc) and a Marksman or Sniper (default being the Triple Take, which doubles as a shotgun in a pinch, or the Longbow. I suck with the Sentinel and Charge Rifle, so those are used begrudgingly at best).

Funnily enough, I enjoy Revenant, but I don't play him very often. My most played Legends are Loba, Bloodhound, Caustic, and Bangalore. I dabble in all of them, and used to undertake a challenge alongside a couple of friends to get one (or more) wins per season on every character, but as the roster grew that became unsustainable. I just don't play enough, and don't get enough wins (23-42 per season, at a glance) to really enjoy it. Especially since it can lend itself to dropping a lot on a lower utility Legend, or one I'm not very proficient with, or just straight out am not fond of the playstyle for.

We gave that up a year or more ago, and now I just play what I need for dailies/weeklies or what I feel like. Loba is definitely my main, but I snagged Bloodhound's prestige skin during the last Anniversary, and the quest to get in 130k damage took quite a while. I suspect S15 or 16 will be my last for the foreseeable future, so I'm definitely not starting another of those grinds.

But yeah, I enjoy Revenant. He's just such a dick to everyone, wall climbing to unexpected places is great fun, the silence and totem rushing people are a blast when they land, all told it's not a character I dislike, simply not one of the legends I default to, which are enough that he's more on the higher part of the list where I'll focus on them for weeklies unless a Legend I enjoy more is in that particular trio, or overlaps with some other challenges.

I take great delight in the duality of the very forgiving Alternator and the much less so 30-30. I want my shatter rounds again for the 30-30, as I'm mostly anxious ridden and dive straight to the close quarters frenzies, and the Triple Take steals all the close quarters thunder the 30-30 TRULY deserves. But shit, the reactive skin for the Triple Take has been wonderful given how much I use the damn gun. I've never been good enough for a sniper rifle, and Vantage's cannon-sized ult 'bullets' are for false ego through and through.

I no longer prioritize the wins, or even think about Ranked; it's all about the fun moments in each game, if I can just get a couple of chuckle worthy moments then the game was worth it: Rampart's turret blazing down the hallway to fifth-party hapless squads; the Revenant getting away with such delightfully strange side-angles and freaking the enemy out; anything stupid and absurd involving Wattson's turrets, etc.

I've probably tried certain legends once or twice then never again, and keep myself mainly to Loba and Rampart with side forays into Mad Maggie, Bangalore, and Wattson. Lifeline if I'm dangerously nostalgic, and Bloodhound if I want to be the SUPER useful, scanning, team-helper.

I agree with your legend choices, especially Loba, who consistently gives teams value no matter my own personal performance. Even if I'm having a terrible game there's guaranteed loot to either empower my cracked teammates or help bolster a newer player looking to quick-grab and practice their newfound favourite.

Also I'm bad at using my tacticals/ults at a correct time for a lot of Legends, so having Loba's shop be so fast, and her only only other power being a single use movement ability helps simplify the combat flow a lot.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    https://www.ea.com/games/apex-legends/apex-legends-mobile/news/apex-legends-mobile-development-update?isLocalized=true
    Apex Legends Mobile is shutting down in all regions. Game has been pulled from app stores today, in-game purchases have been disabled, and the servers are turning off on May 1st. No refunds.

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    The link effectively says they’re cancelling it because it was falling short of the quality but was it that bad? I thought reviews were positive?

Was it even out for that long?

PSN Fleety2009
    That’s a bummer, I haven’t played it in a few months but it was a fun diversion. The mobile game had a much better fleshed out firing range and also ran a bunch of fun modes that I didn’t see in regular Apex.

The skins/monetization was garbage but I don’t buy skins, so I never really cared.

Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    Was it even out for that long?

I didn't play it, so I had to rely on Google, which claims the global release date was May 17th, 2022.

If correct, then it didn't even last a year.

From watching some YouTubers who dabbled in both (mostly TheGamingMerchant), they had some cool skins and the unique Legends seemed interesting, but I can't say I'm terribly broken up over it either.

I hope they do something nice for the people who keep playing. Unlock every skin and heirloom or something.

Apparently the mobile heirloom system was pretty cool, lots of customization options, an upgrade track, etc. Considering we're approaching the 4th anniversary and don't even have colour customization, I'm not expecting Respawn to pick that up, but it'd be nice.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    https://kotaku.com/titanfall-3-apex-legends-respawn-ea-cancelled-layoffs-1850061241
    The bigger, sadder news is that the Titanfall/Apex Legends crossover game "Titanfall Legends", which was a planned single player Titanfall game with elements from the Apex games, was cancelled. (Also the studio that made Apex mobile was completely shuttered)

edited February 2023
    BUT WE GOT GOOD NEWS

- Pathfinder is getting a 2x distance buff to his ult
    - Valk isn't a scout class and loses her dive scanning
    - Wraith portal 2x distance buff
    - Horizon with a nerf to aiming target bloom while she's floating in her tactical
    - Bloodhound scanning reverted to Season 1 (snapshots enemy location, doesn't linger after activation)
    - Defense Legends can use scan beacons
    - Scout Legends get a scan beacon that does Crypto's map-wide scanning similar to his King's Canyon zone
    - World's Edge Fragment West/East getting thermonuked

just the leaks so far, but a reddit comment on Wraith's buff had me a chucklin':
    imagine getting kidnapped from fragment east just to get massacred in fragment west

OmnomnomPancake on
    There's a running gag between my buddy and I that someday soon, ALL legends will be able to use beacons. He'll be on Gibraltar or Caustic and I'll ask if he wants to scan the beacon or if I should do it, and he'll politely decline for whatever reason.

If those madmen actually made it so some of his most commonly played non-Recon legends (Caustic and Rampart mostly) can actually scan, I'm going to laugh and laugh and laugh some more.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    noooo, leave Valk alone wahhhhhh

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Apex mobile getting shut down is a bummer, since they built the whole game from the ground up on Unreal engine.

It gave me hopes that maybe some day we'd get a new engine for the base game.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    New season trailer, new burst-fire AR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehlC7HEn43k

Bigger news: Apex is getting Team Deathmatch, but Arena mode is going away
    “It was not an easy decision, but it wasn’t hitting our goal of being a good place to practice the core combat loop in a less pressure situation,” Nikolich said. “We have the BR as a high-stakes competitive space and Arenas overlaps a bit too much with that.”
    6v6, 30 kills to win, preset loadouts, unlimited medkits/syringes, recharging shields, no ranked mode, will be available for 3 weeks
    Also, there's a new LTM Mixtape playlist, which will be a permanent playlist with rotating Control, Gun Run, and Team Deathmatch, coming 3 weeks after launch

Official news post: https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/apex-legends/news/revelry-dev-video-blog
    We’ve been introducing a new Legend every season and this year we wanted to take a break from releasing a new Legend, you’ll see new Legends in the future but for now, we wanted to see how the core Legends could evolve the ways players have been using them. This season we’ll be adjusting all Legends and introducing a rework to our Class system that we’re calling “Remastered Legend Classes”.

There will be 5 Classes:

Assault
    Recon
    Skirmisher
    Controller
    Support
    Each class will now have some kind of meaningful, unique perk—whether that be the way a Legend can interact with new loot bins or new ways to revive teammates.

We’ll also be introducing a few buffs and nerfs across several Legends including Lifeline, Seer, and Wraith. We’ll share full details on Legend changes when we release the patch notes closer to Revelry’s launch.
    This month is also the 4th Anniversary of Apex Legends and we’re celebrating with the Anniversary Collection Event featuring an all-new community content reward track and lots of celebrations happening in the game including login rewards† during the first two weeks of the season, with week one featuring Crypto unlocked and one Crypto Thematic pack for all players that login, and week two unlocking Ash plus one Ash Thematic pack for all players that login. Also, every map in the rotation will have special decorations and we’ll have the return of a fan favorite that we’ll reveal closer to the launch.

Crippl3 on
    edited February 2023
    The trailer is okay. I'm keeping an open mind on the Nemesis, but thinking of other burst fire weapons like the Hemlock and Prowler, they aren't what I gravitate towards, so I'm not expecting this one to light my heart ablaze.

I'm intrigued how the new class breakdown will work out. We've had the leaks about what many will do, but I mean seeing it in action.

I generally avoid the arenas and many of the LTMs, because they usually have an outsized impact on people quitting (hence why I generally ignored arenas like they'd give me scurvy) and I don't even have 2 friends playing anymore, so ranked (which is basically trios but my team mates might be a hair less inclined to quit early or run off and get murdered solo, but we're grading on a curve here) is my default.

Also I'm one of those madmen who legit enjoys World's Edge.

Whelp, we get a gameplay trailer on the 8th, and hopefully they won't make us wait until the 13th for the official patch notes.

Forar on
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Is this the first season without a new playable character?

RIP Arenas (actually not really). Deathmatch is what I wanted from the start as an alternative game mode. I tried playing Apex again recently but my couple matches all went terribly.

I'll have to remember to log into Apex for the anniversary.

Arteen wrote: »
    Is this the first season without a new playable character?

Yes, far back as I can recall at least, between starting in S5 and going over all of the previous season trailers.

That rotating playlist sounds like exactly what I want as a change of pace, much more than Arenas (talk about a mode where someone quitting ruins the experience for everyone), and TDM in Apex sounds like something I'll enjoy a lot.

I’m sure they’ll never do it, but I’d love to see a pick phase like a MOBA has, where all 12 players are using different legends.

None of this “X is meta, so most matches have 4 of them” stuff, but I’m sure it’d be a mess of people rage quitting for not getting their “main” or newer players finding themselves with very limited options because they barely have much more than the opening legends unlocked (and a high likelihood of whatever they’ve unlocked being popular enough to be snatched up asap).

I think it’d be awesome, but yeah, likely a pipe dream. Respawn wants as little time as necessary between players launching a game and shooting people.

There’s also little chance a playerbase notorious for disconnecting the instant they’re downed because it’s faster than waiting to be picked up or respawned (even when they’re wrong about that) would tolerate a pick phase that’d be 4 times as long bouncing between the squads.

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    The trailer is okay. I'm keeping an open mind on the Nemesis, but thinking of other burst fire weapons like the Hemlock and Prowler, they aren't what I gravitate towards, so I'm not expecting this one to light my heart ablaze.

I'm intrigued how the new class breakdown will work out. We've had the leaks about what many will do, but I mean seeing it in action.

I generally avoid the arenas and many of the LTMs, because they usually have an outsized impact on people quitting (hence why I generally ignored arenas like they'd give me scurvy) and I don't even have 2 friends playing anymore, so ranked (which is basically trios but my team mates might be a hair less inclined to quit early or run off and get murdered solo, but we're grading on a curve here) is my default.

Also I'm one of those madmen who legit enjoys World's Edge.

Whelp, we get a gameplay trailer on the 8th, and hopefully they won't make us wait until the 13th for the official patch notes.

I found Control and to a lesser extent Gun Run to be a great opportunity to try out weapons to be honest.

Also there was a bit about bots being out into games for those starting out. Tbh I wouldn’t mind just having my own solo game and the rest of the lobby with bots.

PSN Fleety2009
    I honestly wouldn't hate a mode where you get assigned a legend at random. I don't know how they'd have to incentivize it to get people not to quit, maybe make it possible to get assigned legends you don't own yet, but I think it'd be a fun way to make people break out of their comfort zones.

Peen wrote: »
    I honestly wouldn't hate a mode where you get assigned a legend at random. I don't know how they'd have to incentivize it to get people not to quit, maybe make it possible to get assigned legends you don't own yet, but I think it'd be a fun way to make people break out of their comfort zones.

I'd also be down with this.

Hell, take it a step forward and make people pick between one of their 3 least played Legends.

But now I'm getting into straight up trolling territory, and with the way older legends would naturally have more games under them just through being around longer for many players, it'd probably be a mix of anti-meta but also 'and now everyone just plays the new ones', which isn't really what I had in mind.

The randomly assigned one would make for a fun April Fools thing, however.

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    April fool's event where passives, tacticals, and ultimates are all scrambled randomly could be hilarious. Some combinations would be incredibly broken.

edited February 2023
    I wonder if they could get away with a mode where you have to have someone in each role and randomize the picking order so that you can get your first choice some of the time but not all of the time, and again if that would just cause everyone to quit if they don't get what they want.

Peen on
    I don't think it has been mentioned here yet? But its looking like the 4th Anniversary Collection Event reward for unlocking all 24 items will be a set of heirloom shards.

So, if anyone has been just dying to get a set, this is the cheapest it'll be for at least a year, maybe 2 or more.

As always: Craft up all the epics first if you have the materials (9,600).

Then buy the two bundles (or 1 bundle and however many packs you need if you can also craft some of the legendary items, steep as they are). This brings the cost down from 16,000 apex coins to 7,500 or less.

If you have EA Play, you can take another 10% off the cost of whatever packs you're buying, especially useful for bigger packs that will save you more than it costs to get for a month, just remember to cancel it before you get dinged for another month (which may have totally happened to me at least once).

edited February 2023
    There's also a ton of info on the new class roles, TDM, mixtape, and more here;

https://www.ea.com/games/apex-legends/news/revelry-season-game-updates

Only thing we don't have extensive details on yet are the battlepass and patch notes, the latter of which probably won't drop until the day before the new season.

I'm seeing leaked chatter about some of the changes, as we've discussed here previously, but I always wait for the actual official notes before I get too worked up over anything. Stuff is subject to change, leaks may be out of date, etc. Like, we heard Loba was going to be able to open blue bin compartments seasons ago and it's only finally landing next week.

Edit: this is the list on Reddit, but again, I'm waiting to get it officially from Respawn.

BALANCE CHANGES

Seer● Reduced frequency of ultimate ● Heartbeat Sensor now audible

Bloodhound● Ultimate now has White Ravens which fly in the direction of the nearest enemy squad ● Ultimate no longer reduces active ability’s cooldown

Wraith● Portal Distance 2x ● Speed while creating portal 2x

Pathfinder● Faster zipline speed ● Longer zipline cast distance

Horizon● Spread & movement speed nerfed inside ult

Mirage● After reviving cloak for 3 sec (Both Mirage and revived teammate, breaks upon weapon draw) ● Bamboozled enemy tracked for a short time

Lifeline● Care Package drop speed and range increased ● Less slowdown after revival

Valkyrie● Scan removed

Forar on
    I didn't expect this for support legends and it kinda rules: "Support Legends can now recover Ally Banners from Crafting Stations, even if the banner has expired, giving new options to get the team back into the game. "

Banners never should have had a timeout, I’m glad support will be a step in the right direction there.

Big changes all around but huge L for bloodhound, no tac cooldown bonus during his ult is going to suck

I do like the white ravens pointing at the next squad but yeah, they're going to be in a worse place post patch. I can't really complain, I like the new changes and I'm impressed by how Respawn's evolving the game in smart ways after this long instead of just continually pulling the cosmetic lever to get more money out of us (which they also do plenty, sure, but as always if you can ignore it the game you get for free is Very Good).

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Yeah I kinda hate the greed on the cosmetics, but on the other hand they are so expensive that I don't even FOMO. I just go nope.

Of course, my PC account is from S3 so I have a ton of unlocks anyway.

I think I paid $30 for my most played game of the last 4 years.

I do hope they are able to improve the audio situation though. No audio walkups are such a bummer. I saw some rumoring that the game has limited audio channels and the difficulty is when footsteps need to be heard when otherwise the area is busy. Which sounds plausible.

And I wonder how they'll touch the maps. I am completely done with hotdropping, and as a result don't play WE in pubs anymore. 70% chance of fragment just ruins my mood. I just play ranked or another game.
    All other maps are better (Though Kings Canyon is very small and 3rd party central). My second biggest gripe is probably Promenade on BM, the structure of the map just leads to everyone rotating into it while ring 1 is closing. So you have 2 choices, either rotate around Prom and probably not see anyone until endgame, or rotate through Prom and get into a 5-8 squad shootout.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    There are going to be so many cases where a BH pops their ult and the white ravens fly at some poor rat hiding previously undetected nearby.

I kinda get the expiring banners as a mechanic to incentivize people to act in a timely manner, but I respect that knowing a person only has a minute or two to get to them also incentivizes people to camp those same boxes.

It'll be kinda funny the way hunting Lifeline's happens in a fight lest they pop their people back up, as a Loba main the ability to flee into the darkness and potentially get my team back sounds amazing.

I mean, it'll likely be nigh useless in Trios, as people disconnect just for getting knocked, let alone boxed, but in Ranked and when playing with friends? Sounds awesome.

this season is very pro-rat and very anti-rat.

and since ash gets her heirloom it's also probably got some secret rat-only emotes goin on, too.

edited February 2023
    She's already got a sword so I feel like her Heirloom should be armor and a gun for her rat buddy, that would rule.

I've been thinking about it and I really like the new legend classes (and select screen too), the abilities are all good and make sense and I'm really looking forward to seeing how the "scan to see where everyone is" feature affects the flow of the games, how many times my random idiot teammates will immediately run towards the biggest clump of people vs. how often they'll do something smart.

Peen on