As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pride and Prejudice and Goncharov [Movies]

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I heard y'all like murder mysteries?!

Especially sequels to murder mysteries???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM2F56uK0fs

The first one was pretty good. It's nice to see Sandler as more of the straight man in a movie and not some caricature with a weird voice. His character is also competent, he just doesn't want to work while on vacation, which, relatable.

• JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    My parents bought, I think every single Calvin and Hobbes book through the scholastic book fair as me and my brother grew up. We would read them over and over again.

Unfortunately my parents constant smoking in the house destroyed all of these books.

So I purchased a complete leather bound collection of the entire run and it has some nice little notes and memories written by Waterson.

Do you have a link?

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Jokerman wrote: »
    My parents bought, I think every single Calvin and Hobbes book through the scholastic book fair as me and my brother grew up. We would read them over and over again.

Unfortunately my parents constant smoking in the house destroyed all of these books.

So I purchased a complete leather bound collection of the entire run and it has some nice little notes and memories written by Waterson.

Do you have a link?

I do!

The Complete Calvin and Hobbes https://a.co/d/dafuRPU

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I heard y'all like murder mysteries?!

Especially sequels to murder mysteries???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM2F56uK0fs

The first one was pretty good. It's nice to see Sandler as more of the straight man in a movie and not some caricature with a weird voice. His character is also competent, he just doesn't want to work while on vacation, which, relatable.

The first movie is helped out immensely by Sandler just not allowing his group of friends to star in the film alongside him.

Instead its cast with actual character actors.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular

Do you have a link?

I do!

The Complete Calvin and Hobbes https://a.co/d/dafuRPU

I have the same set and can confirm they are pretty sweet.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    What’s really funny about this year is it’s the one year I was like “man this comic book movie might actually deserve some Oscar nominations!”

And then The Batman got passed over for cinematography, soundtrack, editing, and production design! At least it got that makeup nomination, those people worked hard to make Colin Farrell unrecognizable and they deserve a pat on the back

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Angela Bassett got the nom for Black Panther, first time a Marvel movie ever got an acting nom

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »
    If your Oscar campaign isn't David Lynch with a cow and a large sign, what are you even doing?

I'm pretty much always considering Laura Dern

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Gonna wait until Calvin and Hobbes are in the public domain and then do a fucked up gritty live action thing where Calvin's a serial killer who hallucinates a tiger that tells him to kill

The good news is that you don't have to wait for it to go public domain if you go meta with it.

a1lndte592vu.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Let us all take a moment to review and post about our favorite 'that guy/girl!'

As in, those character actors who seemingly are in everything and don't (usually) get the credit they deserve.

To begin I want to talk about William Fichtner.

tede6jm7evl5.jpeg

I think I first noticed Fichtner in Go (1999), a movie that features approximately ninety actors who are all good and have various degrees of success. Fichtner plays a guy who either is a cop trying to bust people or a very nice man who wants to live out a cuckold fantasy.

The next time I noticed Fichtner was in The Dark Knight where he plays 'The Bank Manager's with enough juice to make his mark on like a three hour movie that features another ninety good actors that have various degrees of celebrity.

Fichtner rules!

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Also in Armageddon as one of the actual astronauts

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Catching up on movies, gonna try to see as many Oscar nominated flicks as I can. Less because I expect them all to be good, more because I like to have a framework/do a project, and one arbitrary theme is as good as another.

Watched Banshees of Inishirin Saturday. Liked it, couldn't quite get to loving it. Dynamite performances, some stunningly gorgeous cinematography, but the story trafficked in a sort of weightless nihilism that I associate with a specific strain of theater. "A small, quiet story in which people hurt each other, As Is Human Nature." Where it feels more like an intellectual exercise than anything deeply felt. I can appreciate it abstractly, I can see what it was going for and I think it hits it mark, it's just... Not a mark I'm especially interested in. I don't regret watching it or anything, but it wasn't really my scene.

Watched Top Gun: Maverick last night. I have no affection whatsoever for the original, I think it's insane that a movie filmed almost 40 years later tells a story that seemingly occurs less than a generation later, I thought every scene with Tom Cruise and Jennifer Connolly was interminably dull. And yet, the twenty minutes of "actually doing the mission" fuckin' ripped. They clearly lay out the rules, the obstacles, and the emotional stakes, and then they fuckin' go do the thing. The movie overall didn't really work for me, but those twenty minutes sure did, and I once again find myself wishing that Disney hadn't eaten the entire box office. We used to get five or six, "Make a plan, execute the plan" action movies a year, and that roadmap has died, which makes something like Maverick feel fresh and exciting again, somehow. Instead of having to compromise with this movie I didn't like huge chunks of, I wish we could just... Have more movies that were like this, but better.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Banshees is one of those movies where I feel like it probably means a lot more to someone else than it does to me. Like maybe if I knew more about the history of Ireland, it would have more of an impact? I dunno. All the stuff on the surface was really well done, but I'm not really interested in watching it again or anything.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    He was great as Anubis in drive angry too.

Also I dunno why my brain made this connection while looking at his roles but I'm now picturing him as Oberstein from LOGH.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Banshees of Inishirin felt incredibly like one of McDonagh's stage plays, so I think that comparison is very correct.

I liked it a lot, but I also read a bunch of that specific strain of theatre in my late teens and early twenties, so there's something very familiar to it.

• JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular

As in, those character actors who seemingly are in everything and don't (usually) get the credit they deserve.

tede6jm7evl5.jpeg

I think I first noticed Fichtner in Go (1999), a movie that features approximately ninety actors who are all good and have various degrees of success. Fichtner plays a guy who either is a cop trying to bust people or a very nice man who wants to live out a cuckold fantasy.

The next time I noticed Fichtner was in The Dark Knight where he plays 'The Bank Manager's with enough juice to make his mark on like a three hour movie that features another ninety good actors that have various degrees of celebrity.

Fichtner rules!

You watched Heat yet?

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I randomly decided to watch Apollo 13 again and you know what? Apollo 13 is a fucking good movie.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Problematic fave tbh

GDdCWMm.jpg
    I randomly decided to watch Apollo 13 again and you know what? Apollo 13 is a fucking good movie.

here we see the early stages of Tom Hanks Dad-ism

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

tede6jm7evl5.jpeg

Fichtner rules!

You watched Heat yet?

"How the fuck should I know?"

I remember him in Strange Days as Vincent D'Onofrio's twitchy racist murder cop partner.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Fuck Mads Mikkelsen is gonna be at celebration this year, the year I decide not to go!

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

tede6jm7evl5.jpeg

Fichtner rules!

You watched Heat yet?

Watched HEAT this morning and he's there!

Then I watched Empire Records for like the tenth time and I finally identify with Joe.

• ChallChall Registered User regular
    Is it too late to pitch my script for Calvin & Hobbs & Shaw? It's about a young boy with no friends who fantasizes that this Hobbs and Shaw DVD comes to life and has adventures with him. It's like Sideicks except with Jason Statham instead of Chuck Norris.

Dwayne Johnson unfortunately won't sign until he gets a signed note from Vin Diesel saying that Dwayne is a big strong boy and Vin has always been afraid of him, and Vin's agent is stonewalling us

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The first movie I think of when I think of ol Billy Fitch is Armageddon

Also Empire Records remains a perfect movie

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    is skinamarink truly about like, a 4 year old kid wandering around a haunted house? because that sounds extremely distressing and not fun

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Chall wrote: »
    Is it too late to pitch my script for Calvin & Hobbs & Shaw? It's about a young boy with no friends who fantasizes that this Hobbs and Shaw DVD comes to life and has adventures with him. It's like Sideicks except with Jason Statham instead of Chuck Norris.

Dwayne Johnson unfortunately won't sign until he gets a signed note from Vin Diesel saying that Dwayne is a big strong boy and Vin has always been afraid of him, and Vin's agent is stonewalling us

I mean, if anything, Dwayne demanded that in his contract because Vin did first, and no one gets a scoop of ice cream that I don't get.

Chall wrote: »

taking this opportunity to repost my original artwork that definitely does NOT infringe on two separate copyrighted properties, screw you customink.com

ygg0nhmay3np.png

• LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    is skinamarink truly about like, a 4 year old kid wandering around a haunted house? because that sounds extremely distressing and not fun

Based on what I know, it is actually instead about a 4-year-old and a 6-year-old wandering around a haunted house.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular

It reads like a
    House of Leaves meets David Lynch, via a malevolent entity that gets off on specifically torturing small children horror to me

So even though the basic premise very much appeals to me in terms of "creep-factor", I'll likely never watch it because "bad things happen to small children" is a genre I can't willingly watch anymore (Silent Hill 1 was scary to me when it came out; it's literally unplayable for me now)

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Ladai wrote: »

Based on what I know, it is actually instead about a 4-year-old and a 6-year-old wandering around a haunted house.

lol no thnx

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    punched a mummy in the dick once

I was 8 years old, definitely old enough to go in a dumb baby haunted house at the fair

first room, a mummy leaps out all "aurururughh" and I said "oh my god a mummy", punched him in the dick, and ran away

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    So now we know that wolfman and mummy got nards

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Getting trapped in a haunted house forever actually builds character

mrpaku wrote: »

It reads like a
    House of Leaves meets David Lynch, via a malevolent entity that gets off on specifically torturing small children horror to me

So even though the basic premise very much appeals to me in terms of "creep-factor", I'll likely never watch it because "bad things happen to small children" is a genre I can't willingly watch anymore (Silent Hill 1 was scary to me when it came out; it's literally unplayable for me now)

I tried playing the Last of Us part 1 like...six days after my daughter was born and didn't make it out of the intro. Just turned it off and never went back.

mrpaku wrote: »

It reads like a

I tried playing the Last of Us part 1 like...six days after my daughter was born and didn't make it out of the intro. Just turned it off and never went back.

yeah that makes sense

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    The first movie I think of when I think of ol Billy Fitch is Armageddon

Meanwhile the first film I think of for him is Drive Angry.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »

Calvin's dad probably likes to ride his bike inside a haunted house forver.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »

Calvin's dad probably likes to ride his bike inside a haunted house forver.

I googled Watterson after C&H were first brought up the other day and it's the first time I'd seen a picture of him, and I like how clearly Calvin's dad is just him
    qsegurnz7izt.jpg

This discussion has been closed.