As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pride and Prejudice and Goncharov [Movies]

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Let us all take a moment to review and post about our favorite 'that guy/girl!'

As in, those character actors who seemingly are in everything and don't (usually) get the credit they deserve.

To begin I want to talk about William Fichtner.

tede6jm7evl5.jpeg

I think I first noticed Fichtner in Go (1999), a movie that features approximately ninety actors who are all good and have various degrees of success. Fichtner plays a guy who either is a cop trying to bust people or a very nice man who wants to live out a cuckold fantasy.

The next time I noticed Fichtner was in The Dark Knight where he plays 'The Bank Manager's with enough juice to make his mark on like a three hour movie that features another ninety good actors that have various degrees of celebrity.

Fichtner rules!

in Go he is a cop who wants to sell Amway

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I'm a Holt McCallany man myself.

fdt4wc68h40h.png

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I think he's Mom Prime's husband in that show Mom that had Anna Faris on it

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    upon several rewatches, I've come to the conclusion that William Fitchner is a superb actor for being able to believably deliver such an insane Nolan monologue with the sole purpose of teeing up Joker's one-liner in TDK.

• Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    He is indeed. I'm a sucker for sitcoms so I've seen all 8 seasons of Mom and he spent 5 of them playing Allison Janney's boyfriend/husband. He seemed like he was having fun, and I imagine getting a steady gig on a big sitcom is good money for actors of that level.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    He is indeed. I'm a sucker for sitcoms so I've seen all 8 seasons of Mom and he spent 5 of them playing Allison Janney's boyfriend/husband. He seemed like he was having fun, and I imagine getting a steady gig on a big sitcom is good money for actors of that level.

Mom, the CBS series is very, very good and Fichtner is here as well!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    Getting trapped in a haunted house forever actually builds character

Calvin's dad probably likes to ride his bike inside a haunted house forver.

I googled Watterson after C&H were first brought up the other day and it's the first time I'd seen a picture of him, and I like how clearly Calvin's dad is just him
    qsegurnz7izt.jpg

yeah 100%

BahamutZERO.gif
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I’m a big fan of Steven Ogg.

aih1tg5dde5s.jpeg

When you need a henchman or a mini boss villain, but you need him to be juuuust a bit crazier, more of a dirtbag, and a bit bigger of an asshole than average, he’s your man.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    We lost him to cancer in 2016, but there for a good long while? If you needed a gravelly greaseball, you simply could not do better than Jon Polito

jon-polito.jpg?format=jpg&quality=80&width=960&height=540&ratio=16-9&resize=aspectfill

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Steven Ogg played the character "Creepy Locksmith" in Broad City, and no one could have done better.

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Looks like preorders are up for shout factory's next Jackie Chan collection:
    https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/the-jackie-chan-collection-vol-2-1983-1993

Which has the following movies:
    WINNERS AND SINNERS
    WHEELS ON MEALS
    THE PROTECTOR
    ARMOUR OF GOD
    ARMOUR OF GOD II: OPERATION CONDOR
    CRIME STORY
    CITY HUNTER

Which is a pretty good lineup, but dang I really want their next volume from 94-04 to exist already. I doubt they could get the rights to the Rush Hours, and I'm sure they're easy to get elsewhere anyways but like, a collection with Legend of Drunken Master, Rumble in the Bronx and First Strike potentially? Sign me the hell up,

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure if he counts since he was a recurring character in Star Trek among others, but I never watched Star Trek so he counts for me - Robert Picardo!

For me he's very much one of those "hey, that guy! I know that guy from fuckin, uhh..."

Also Christopher McDonald aka Shooter McGavin.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    We lost him to cancer in 2016, but there for a good long while? If you needed a gravelly greaseball, you simply could not do better than Jon Polito

Nobody gave him the high hat.

Nobody.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if he counts since he was a recurring character in Star Trek among others, but I never watched Star Trek so he counts for me - Robert Picardo!

For me he's very much one of those "hey, that guy! I know that guy from fuckin, uhh..."

His episode of Justified was so good.

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited January 2023

jon-polito.jpg?format=jpg&quality=80&width=960&height=540&ratio=16-9&resize=aspectfill

I genuinely don’t know who could have been a better fit for Frank Reynold’s brother aside from Arnold Schwarzenegger

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular

It's deeply disappointing that the one episode of Always Sunny he appears in is in the running for the worst in the series, because "Jon Polito as Danny DeVito's equally slimy brother" is a million-dollar pitch

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    You're watching some genre fiction, maybe its a sci-fi series or a fantasy show, and then suddenly...

Eric-Avari.jpg

Erick Avari has shown up.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    I remember Scott Aukerman telling a story about John Polito from when he was on the Comedy Bang Bang show - after he had been shooting for a bit, he was hanging out with Scott et al and started talking and behaving in the stereotypical "gay" voice and demeanor, and Scott was worried that Polito was doing some sort of joke making fun of gay people. But then he realized that that's just the way that Polito was for real; he was just such a good actor that all anyone knew was the persona he usually played onscreen.

• Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    So now we know that wolfman and mummy got nards

24lzpz5rp7ed.png

Zonugal wrote: »
    You're watching some genre fiction, maybe its a sci-fi series or a fantasy show, and then suddenly...

Eric-Avari.jpg

Erick Avari has shown up.

Oh shit this guy was great in Independence Day

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Does your show need a dirtbag?

Not a scumbag. Not a shithead. Not a hench.

A true American dirtbag.

Well, today's your lucky day.

vquobrsgk61o.png

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    Getting trapped in a haunted house forever actually builds character

Calvin's dad probably likes to ride his bike inside a haunted house forver.

I googled Watterson after C&H were first brought up the other day and it's the first time I'd seen a picture of him, and I like how clearly Calvin's dad is just him
    qsegurnz7izt.jpg

He looks like the guy at the Record Shop who has the best Hardcore and Death metal collection.

• JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular

Nobody gave him the high hat.

Nobody.

I also couldn't keep him away from my special ladyfriend.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Julian Sands has now been missing for 13 days.

Hope that he’s going to be found alive has to be low by now

I've seen The Menu and it had some real dumb parts and some real good parts.
    The joke about the assistant not having student loans and deserving to die was great

• GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    I worked with Erick Avari years ago on a small movie.

Great, warm guy. And I'll never forget when one of the leads and him were making dirty jokes while filming a reaction shot and I couldn't stop laughing after the scene ended.

I'm always psyched when he shows up in that one episode of DS9.

Gim on
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    I was lucky enough to be able to do Sundance for the second year in a row! I was expecting to only get to see 10 films; wound up with 15. Despite having seen more than I did last Sundance (12), I liked last year's lineup (or at least what I got to experience of it) more. More stuff I loved then, either immediately or over time, and only one thing I wasn't really feeling

Before diving in, my quick recap of last year's Sundance:
    It does feel a bit unfair to even try comparing them, because holy shit last year's lineup ruled.

Films I loved:
    The Worst Person in the World
    Cha Cha Real Smooth
    You Won't Be Alone
    Master

Films I really liked at first, and wound up loving over time/the more I thought of them:
    Resurrection
    Something in the Dirt
    Speak No Evil
    Watcher

I also really liked Nanny
    I loved the Evan Rachel Wood docu-miniseries Phoenix Rising
    And I loved the archival airing of The Incredibly True Adventure of Two Girls in Love
    The only real miss for me, which I still wound up finding some potential in even if it didn't all come together, was Piggy

That was last year. As for this year:

Films I loved:
    Sometimes I Think About Dying
    All Dirt Roads Taste of Salt
    Joyland
    Fancy Dance
    The Disappearance of Shere Hite
    Divinity

Films I really liked:
    Magazine Dreams
    Kokomo City
    When It Melts
    Squaring the Circle (The Story of Hipgnosis)
    AUM: The Cult at the End of the World

I liked The Amazing Maurice
    I appreciated parts of Aliens Abducted My Parents And Now I Feel Kinda Left Out
    I disliked Bad Behavior
    I disliked Run Rabbit Run

Here's a longer breakdown of my thoughts on each, no real spoilers inside just a) what the film is and b) why I think what I think about it, in order of what/when I watched:
    I wanted to start my Sundance 2023 experience with the film I was most excited about: Sometimes I Think About Dying, a story I was interested in (for various reasons including personal/similar stuff) starring someone I think is incredibly talented, nice, and deserves more chance to shine (certainly more chance than fucking Rise of Skywalker wound up being). I'm happy to say I think I made the right call. Daisy Ridley gives her best performance yet as a quiet soul, stuck in her own head more often than not, that fluctuates between being exhausted by people and just being exhausted as a person. The cinematography was stunning at times, and the score stood out more to me than any in recent memory that wasn't The Wonder. And the story, and Ridley's performance, all come together for an impressive and touching final twenty minutes. There was some tough competition later, but I still think this is my fav film of the festival honestly!

It took until my last day of Sundance 2022 to find a film I wasn't really digging much, either from the start or by the end. Two films in this year I got one unfortunately, and it was even more unfortunate that it was with the only horror film I planned to see when tickets first became available: Run Rabbit Run almost gave me vibes of Umma, a similar film I looked forward to a year ago that just didn't hit the mark in any way but casting. Sarah Snook is perfectly cast here, to that credit, giving off this almost-shellshocked look for most of her screentime which lends emotional credence to an otherwise lackluster story about trauma. Other viewers will (and have, judging by fellow reviews) see that story and think Run Rabbit Run had Hereditary or The Babadook on the brain; it'd obviously fail compared to those, but even on its own merits it's drawn out too long, doesn't use the long time it has to really make you interested in the subplots/side characters introduced and almost-forgotten by the final twist, and doesn't have anything memorable on its own (beyond at best the still image of the kid in the makeshift bunny mask, I guess/being generous), even with that final twist. A shame, especially with it being maybe the "best" horror film I've seen with Snook in it; this, Jessabelle and Winchester. 0 for 3 in my opinion

In the Q&A, with regards to the concept for Magazine Dreams, director Elijah Bynum summed it up best by saying "What a peculiar way to walk around the world: being both feared and ignored." No better way to describe the journey of self-loathing and self-destruction Jonathan Majors takes his Killian Maddox bodybuilder character on, in the course of a 2-hour period that takes him to hell and teases and teases a darker ending than even that throughout each new low in his life/pursuit of stardom. There's no catharsis to come from seeking that darker ending, however, because at the end of the day others failed him just as much as he failed himself; bold of Bynum in his sophomore effort to not take the easiest path to ending such a sobering story. If I thought or cared about the Academy, it'd be easy to call the diner scene/aggressive monologue to an increasingly-uncomfortable date about the strain he's putting himself through without realizing it as The scene played before stating Majors as a nominee for the Best Actor award he should be nominated for for this. As is, it's a harrowing display of how far a bodybuilder can and will be willing to go for his goals. (The biggest criticism I have is there's one fucked up scene in the final third in terms of (not displayed) content that just felt unnecessary, even for the amount of drama/lows Maddox was enduring; I know people dislike my recommendations for/love of Tar, Skinamarink, etc lately, but unlike with those I feel this one it's actually fair to say. I still recommend all of these films heavily though, including this. Just...ugh, pretty rough moment)

The Disappearance of Shere Hite is a documentary (one of 4 I saw at the festival) telling the story of the woman behind the Hite Report, a major anonymous study via questionnaire where women got to provide their thoughts on sex and sexuality, free of judgment or being censored by men. The research she did and works she published were not just essential but also uplifting to those around her, but also/ultimately devastating to herself. Extreme and unnecessary backlash from straight men has proven time and again to have no limits on the ruin it can cause. My favorite documentary of the four, giving good background on the subject and with enough time for the story to breathe without feeling too long or too short

Suffering from the rare problem of a feature documentary feeling too short, I could have watched some of the characters (especially one giving some memorable rants while in a tub) in Kokomo City for hours more. Four black trans sex workers (two located in Georgia and two in New York) give their thoughts in black and white, literally and figuratively, on life, their work, their community, and how they feel about their place amidst each section of those subjects. D Smith's directorial debut is one of the more striking and unique perspectives on stories that need to be spotlighted more

Divinity was one of my first unplanned surprises that I took a chance on when I had spare time available. For me it was also the easiest of those to take a chance with; director Eddie Alcazar wowed me with his unique debut feature-length Perfect (produced, as is this, by Steven Soderbergh) back in 2018. This was a no-brainer for me after I found out this was his followup, and I'm happy to say it's even weirder and more batshit insane than that. Solidifying Alcazar for me as who Panos Cosmatos is for everyone else, this black-and-white tale of mad scientist Stephen Dorff on a quest to make an immortality drug only two traveling brothers are willing to stop him from completing has a surreal ending I never once saw coming, even more than I didn't expect every twenty-minute period before it

When It Melts is a girl coming to terms with her past; 80 minutes of build to a scene that you feared since things first began escalating and are still in no way prepared for. The ending feels just as devastating, even with fifteen minutes of trying to recover from That scene later. The horrors that can come from people you once cared about do lifelong damage there's no "easy" way out of. The toughest recommendation of the festival for sure, heavy content warning

The Amazing Maurice has the unfortunate luck of being both a Terry Pratchett adaptation and being a cartoon film starring a talking cat coming out soon after Puss in Boots: The Last Wish changed the game. Never stood a chance of comparing. I still found it cute at times, albeit stretched to a 100-minute runtime it didn't really need. Emilia Clarke's Malicia was the MVP

Bad Behaviour has the even more unfortunate luck of being one of the films I most looked forward to, wasn't able to get a ticket to at first, and I wound up jumping through hoops/checking daily ticket drops finally being able to score a viewing for...for that. Jennifer Connolly tries her best as someone seeking spiritual enlightenment at a retreat until her baggage gets the best of her emotions and she ruins that too. There's one scene where this works out as legit entertaining; she absolutely clobbers someone with a chair. That's not a spoiler, that's the only reason to Youtube anything about this in two or so years and it's also not even halfway through the 110 minutes when it happens anyway

Squaring the Circle (The Story of Hipgnosis) is a delightful documentary specifically about Hipgnosis (art designers for some of the greatest album covers of all time, including for Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon) but is in practice more about the effect album covers can have not just on the people making it, but on the artists the work is for. Roger Waters, Led Zeppelin, Paul McCartney, Peter Gabriel and others are profiled and talk about their admirations for the work. Noel Gallagher is also there and funny. In the introduction before the online screening, director Anton Corbijn and a Sundance curator each lamented about how it feels like album covers are nearing their end. What a significant loss that would be

Bad Behaviour was the first film I was looking forward to but relied on late ticket drops to be able to see; the other I was so so happy to have not been disappointed by: Fancy Dance is an indigenous road trip film that's among the better modern road trip films, mainly due to the chemistry between stars Lily Gladstone and Isabel Deroy-Olson. Lily plays Jax, who's looking for hope or at least closure to the search for her missing sister; Isabel is Roki, Jax's niece who's hoping her mom will be back in time for the upcoming powwow she's been looking forward to. Their performances are amazing and the story is given the perfect ending despite its heartbreaking quieter moments. Love for family is powerful, even when it's messy, and even when it has complications and roadblocks (like an uncaring criminal justice system that gives even less fucks for minorities) in place to mess further. We have to hold on to what, and to who, we still have

In a better world Joyland would have been a selection from here you'd already heard of; as is it's merely the first Pakistani film shortlisted for Best International Feature for the Oscars, not selected for the final nominations because of course. A man with history of unemployment, and his wife in a larger family expecting a son, and a trans dancer. The common thread binding them all, made clearer by the stunning second half, is unhappiness with their current situations in this life. Disappointment. Yearning for something better. Something more. A struggle that's not so easy, no matter where you are in this world; a quieter moment encompassing the weight of this burden is when one's asked to tell a joke and can only come up with one where the punchline is "the fate of love is death". Saim Sadiq makes his presence felt in this powerful directorial feature debut, executive produced by Riz Ahmed and Malala Yousafzai; keep an eye out for his work going forward. Ditto for the three aforementioned stars (Ali Junejo, Rasti Farooq and Alina Khan respectively)

The biggest surprise of the festival for me is probably also going to be the most divisive one not in terms of content, but in terms of lack of: so much doesn't happen, and so much is left unsaid, in All Dirt Roads Taste of Salt. A focus on hands. Holding, letting go, and reaching out. The focus begins with the feel of a captured fish, and ends with the feel of falling rain. Linger, rest, take it in. It's the little things. The last few years have kept us simultaneously isolated/further apart than wanted, and more aware of/thinking about death than wanted. I don't think it's a coincidence that this festival has had two films I've seen (this and Sometimes I Think About Dying) focus in some capacity on little things amidst and despite this; I don't think it's a coincidence last year had a similar one (You Won't Be Alone). I don't think it's a coincidence I love all three. It's unfortunate that this may ultimately be considered the most inaccessible and vulnerable of the three; it may not be my favorite of the three, but it's the riskiest, it's the most challenging/patient to view, and at times has the most beautiful images seen this decade so far. A stunning, freeing debut feature from Raven Jackson; echoing the Q&A comments from the cast that she's phenomenal for how willing she was to take time to focus on the gentle, the feel, even amidst the loss. "I can't wait to see what she does next." Same. Linger, rest, take it in. It's the little things

I hate giving a negative review to Aliens Abducted My Parents And Now I Feel Kinda Left Out; it has a great title, I adored Emma Tremblay's performance as Itsy, and I so appreciated the early-third-act twist (which hurt Itsy as much as it hurt me, given my real life situation parallel). There's a version of this film that works and is still as kid-friendly as it aspires to be, and I wish director Jake van Wagoner had taken that approach instead of trying to cram two (maybe even three?) messages/endings together into one final, rushed-feeling, ten minute period. Not as disappointing as Run Rabbit Run or Bad Behaviour, more positives than either, but still frustrating given what it had to offer before that ending

Luckily my festival ended on a "happier" note: AUM: The Cult at the End of the World provided an interesting look at a cult that got away with increasingly disturbing behavior until a deadly nerve gas attack in Tokyo forced authorities to no longer look away and media to no longer take the culprits as an entertaining oddity. I'm a sucker for true crime stuff, especially stuff I haven't really heard much about, so I enjoyed this. Also found it infuriating that a right-hand-man figure was able to get away with his involvement by fortune of being stationed elsewhere when the real shit went down

So yeah, that's my Sundance 2023! I had a great time, even if not as amazing a time as I had last year, and I really really really hope I get to do it again next year. I'm excited for more people to see basically all of them, even the ones I felt meh or bad about. I'm extremely excited for more people to see Sometimes I Think About Dying, All Dirt Roads Taste of Salt, Joyland, Fancy Dance, Disappearance of Shere Hite, and Divinity in particular (the first three, in order, are my favs). I'd also highly recommend Magazine Dreams if you want to see Jonathan Majors' most uncomfortable performance yet, Kokomo City if you want a bold documentary spotlighting black trans sex workers, and AUM: Cult at the End of the World if you dig true crime!

Sweeney Tom on
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular

He has small but memorable parts in The Crow and The Rocketeer and I never knew his name until now, so thanks for that. Jon Polito ruled.

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Why watch that video when one can simply be alive and consuming any media of any kind for the next five years

It ain't like it'll be easy (or possible) to miss

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Why watch that video when one can simply be alive and consuming any media of any kind for the next five years

It ain't like it'll be easy (or possible) to miss

but The Discourse must be engaged in

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I've watched the video for you and I think you may agree with me that two new Black Adam movies is a bit much.

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    It's funny how james gunn has aged into looking more like his brother

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    I've watched the video for you and I think you may agree with me that two new Black Adam movies is a bit much.

also, gunn was a little cracked when he said that the flash 4 was gonna be better than anything bergman could've made

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Given the last few months, I'll believe Gunn's plan only as soon as the movies are released.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I'm not sure why DC keeps trying to call their shots. It's not gone to plan for them pretty much ever in their past few attempts.
    Just keep it under wraps until you've got something.

akajaybay wrote: »
    I'm not sure why DC keeps trying to call their shots. It's not gone to plan for them pretty much ever in their past few attempts.
    Just keep it under wraps until you've got something.

then everything will just get Batgirled

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

also, gunn was a little cracked when he said that the flash 4 was gonna be better than anything bergman could've made

yeah, but to be fair, when he's saying Bergman he's clearly talking about the Hamburglar and is just fishing for the correct name

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I guess they're trying to build a fan base and get attention, but it still feels backward

This discussion has been closed.