As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Playstation 5] New Slim version announced.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Alien Isolation absolutely should have had a VR mode, if only to watch streams of people freaking the fuck out.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I had goosebumps 5 seconds into walking into the house in Phasmophobia. Shit is terrifying.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Forbidden West is getting its hooks in hard now. I've fought a bunch of big things so far and each one is a white knuckle sweaty palms 15-20 minute killathon.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2023
    So what I'm hearing is I should in no way drop money on VR horror games because I am going to immediately piss myself.

I mean, I'm probably still going to, because I am dumb.

In unrelated news, I finally gave Disco Elysium a shot and this is the most beautifully realized world I've seen in a video game since, like, the original Zork games. I was unsurprised to learn that the dev team based it on a world they created for D&D over the course of a decade.

I was pretty hooked, and then it got fucking weird, and now I'm more hooked.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    McFodder wrote: »
    I have a week off next week for an event but Wednesday is free so I think I'm gonna aim to play a bunch of PSVR1 stuff before the new headset comes out. I got halfway through RE7 before noping out but have RE8 downloaded so should probably give that another go, never finished Fracked even though that was only a couple of hours long, still yet to try Until You Fall which was meant to be fun.

Haven't played anything with free movement for a while so hopefully I haven't completely lost my VR legs.

So, question:

I am very interested in playing horror games in VR, but I've never tried one. I don't know if I'm too much of a weenie, though. I'm perfectly fine with something like RE7 as a regular game, but I'm wondering how much more... visceral?...it is in VR? If it really seems like a spider is crawling out of the shadows and trying to devour my head or something I'm concerned I'll have just dumped $70 on a game that I immediately nope out of.

I feel like with RE7, a whole lot of the scare factor in VR just comes down to simple BOOGA BOOGA jump scares right in front of your face. Which is the cheapest form of scare tactics out there. At the same time, in VR it's happening literally right in front of your face and that's going to really amp it up. And I haven't played 8 so I don't know if they do the same sort of thing or not.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    One of the most wild things about Dead Space is that you can be in game in like 2 seconds after the epilepsy warning and content warning message shows up.

• Options
    Oh no. There's one audio file in the game that has a guy mention his boyfriend. Which got me curious to see if people got mad about that (I'm a glutton for punishment) and sure enough there are so many people talking about how it's gone woke.

I wish I could fire these people to the sun.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    It must be so exhausting and pathetic to be in a constant state of outrage every day of your goddamn life.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I have a week off next week for an event but Wednesday is free so I think I'm gonna aim to play a bunch of PSVR1 stuff before the new headset comes out. I got halfway through RE7 before noping out but have RE8 downloaded so should probably give that another go, never finished Fracked even though that was only a couple of hours long, still yet to try Until You Fall which was meant to be fun.

Haven't played anything with free movement for a while so hopefully I haven't completely lost my VR legs.

So, question:

I am very interested in playing horror games in VR, but I've never tried one. I don't know if I'm too much of a weenie, though. I'm perfectly fine with something like RE7 as a regular game, but I'm wondering how much more... visceral?...it is in VR? If it really seems like a spider is crawling out of the shadows and trying to devour my head or something I'm concerned I'll have just dumped $70 on a game that I immediately nope out of.

I feel like with RE7, a whole lot of the scare factor in VR just comes down to simple BOOGA BOOGA jump scares right in front of your face. Which is the cheapest form of scare tactics out there. At the same time, in VR it's happening literally right in front of your face and that's going to really amp it up. And I haven't played 8 so I don't know if they do the same sort of thing or not.

I dunno, RE7 was creepy from the get go. I know people that noped out at the point where you first need to walk inside the house because it's dark in there and the house creaks a bit and fuck that. Even before I saw another living (or unliving) thing I was leaning around corners and creeping down stairs. Personally, there was one point later on where I just tried to hide in a corner as I could hear something walking around.

In flat games I can be brave, if the character dies I'll reload and try again. In VR it feels like a whole different thing.

Stuff like Rush of Blood was definitely more of one for the jump scares, at least from the demo I played.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Jump scares are stupid. Psychological horror really requires "willing disbelief" to be effective. For myself, I generally am not bothered by standard video game horror; it doesn't "scare" me. I played the (supposedly) terrifying P.T. game without a care in the world. I will admit one of the jump scares did surprise me, but that was it.

That's not to say that there haven't been games that have gotten to me... they're just not things that most people find terrifying. For example, the bus ride at the end of Episode 3 of Life is Strange was one of the longest two minutes of my life. The big reveal at the end of Arkham VR sent me reeling.

Having said that... the "spider level" in Rush of Blood was the one and only time I've literally clawed the VR headset off. Looking back, I'm lucky I didn't hurt myself (or the headset).

26904.png
  • Options
    Yeah, horror movies and games never actually scare me. I just like the atmosphere of that genre.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I have an old VR headset that you just slide your phone into - I forget what it's called - and there was a cheap horror game that was just creepy scenes playing out. One was being in a highrise while some alien thing attacked and dangled you over empty space, one was you getting sealed up in a wall. They were cheesy by kind of charming.

Then one was you standing in a basement while increasingly large spiders crawled around you. I noped the fuck out when the spiders got to the size of cats and uninstalled the game.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Farpoint was a great game on PSVR that would have been no fun at all for arachnophobes. Wouldn't be as good without the Aim controller though, and I doubt Sony want to split up the userbase by having a bunch of controller options again.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Farpoint was a great game on PSVR that would have been no fun at all for arachnophobes. Wouldn't be as good without the Aim controller though, and I doubt Sony want to split up the userbase by having a bunch of controller options again.

I swear, using the Aim controller is often more fun than the games that support it. A couple hours into Farpoint, I had the realization that the novelty of the Aim controller was the only thing keeping me going.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Y'all should get a PS5 if you can get one, they're pretty good. Even just as a souped up PS4.

The way we played Elden Ring was to buy it digitally and then just downloaded the PS4 version to our PS5's.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Not to drag up old convos but, RE: ANTHEM: I played the absolute shit out of this game at launch (and it was what prompted me to upgrade a PC after like years of coasting by on an i3 and 4GB of memory) and its problem was not gameplay. Or even the MTX (the customization being locked behind a paywall for sure stunk). It was the lack of meaningful content. . .the deathkneel of any game that is clearly meant to be played long after the campaign.

Same thing took the knees out of AVENGERS: anemic end-game content at launch. Like we can harumph at MTX and GaaS games but these weren't the issues that caused the death of either games launch momentum.

. . .and ANTHEM is absolutely worth that price for just the thrill of flying around and shooting shit. Its honestly a crime to see how EA completely botched what was an excellent hero shooter in a pretty well designed - aesthetically - open world.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Jedi Survivor just got a little delay to April 28th.

Kinda works better for my own personal schedule and still leaves me with no gaps so I'm not really hurt by this one.

Granted if Starfield actually gets a pre-jine date ill be back to having no idea what to do... but for now the schedule is pretty good!

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Not to drag up old convos but, RE: ANTHEM: I played the absolute shit out of this game at launch (and it was what prompted me to upgrade a PC after like years of coasting by on an i3 and 4GB of memory) and its problem was not gameplay. Or even the MTX (the customization being locked behind a paywall for sure stunk). It was the lack of meaningful content. . .the deathkneel of any game that is clearly meant to be played long after the campaign.

Same thing took the knees out of AVENGERS: anemic end-game content at launch. Like we can harumph at MTX and GaaS games but these weren't the issues that caused the death of either games launch momentum.

. . .and ANTHEM is absolutely worth that price for just the thrill of flying around and shooting shit. Its honestly a crime to see how EA completely botched what was an excellent hero shooter in a pretty well designed - aesthetically - open world.

The actual gameplay in anthem was amazing. There were just 3 dungeons outside of the story missions and seasonal content was lacking.

But being sweet iron man suits with cool powers and good gunplay carried a lot

If anyone gets it I'll totally re-download and play

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I got Forespoken and Star Ocean 6 in the mail. They appealed to me.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    ED! wrote: »

The actual gameplay in anthem was amazing. There were just 3 dungeons outside of the story missions and seasonal content was lacking.

But being sweet iron man suits with cool powers and good gunplay carried a lot

If anyone gets it I'll totally re-download and play

I got the platinum and pushed all the way into the highest difficulty with my buddies. It was ok for us. So many weird fucking design choices and Bioware clearly had no idea how to design a game with loot as the primary focus. If they had written the story and handed the game off to another studio it could have been amazing and a triumph for EA instead of another embarrassment.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I got Forespoken and Star Ocean 6 in the mail. They appealed to me.

Forspoken is Hella fun. I have SO6 as well but I'm saving that for a rainy day at this point.

So many games I wanna play day 1 over the next few months so might as well just save it for the next time there's a gap in releases.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Woo, beat Division 2. Now it's time to re-beat Division 2 in the endgame, lol. Also gotta find someone to do some dark zone trophies with, might spam ingame chat or something for it. Otherwise I don't think I'll ever be able to kill a rogue agent in each zone + steal someone's stuff from the helicopter rope in an invaded zone. Other than that, it's pretty much just beating all the missions again on Hard, crafting an exotic, leveling up my specialization, getting a photo with a full group in it, and some minor easy stuff like using each skill once or using each specialization once.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Jedi Survivor just got a little delay to April 28th.

So it went from me not getting it right away because it was too close to REmake4 to me not getting it right away because it's too close to Zelda.

They should've checked with me first. They need to delay it until August to give me time to wrap up FF16.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Woo, beat Division 2. Now it's time to re-beat Division 2 in the endgame, lol. Also gotta find someone to do some dark zone trophies with, might spam ingame chat or something for it. Otherwise I don't think I'll ever be able to kill a rogue agent in each zone + steal someone's stuff from the helicopter rope in an invaded zone. Other than that, it's pretty much just beating all the missions again on Hard, crafting an exotic, leveling up my specialization, getting a photo with a full group in it, and some minor easy stuff like using each skill once or using each specialization once.
    Is the DZ still active? From what I've seen, it's mostly just "risky" PvE since the rewards are so much better and it's not really "worth it" to go rogue.

26904.png
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular

I put a lot of time into 2 and was going to go for the platinum when my damn game bugged after completing one of the missions. It was one of the missions you get a trophy for and since it didn't unlock, the other trophy for fully upgrading everything wouldn't unlock. It would mean completely replaying the story from scratch and it just doesn't justify that kind of time. If I could still earn base game achievements after jumping straight to 30 that would be one thing. Still a pretty fun game though.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    I think the problems with Anthem for me really are just that I hate gaas stuff, even when its done "well", it requires compromises in how tactile and "good" things feel gameplay wise, with that kind of rubberband spongey online coop effect, and they always seem to result in this mutually destructive tug of war between campaign and endgame content. Just make one or the other, the abomination mix of both is always shit

I loved its mech suits and flying, and I wouldve enjoyed a single player version of its combat which looked nice but felt sticky and laggy

Also im glad Star Wars is delayed, I wish everything was delayed. Every damn game needs it, all the time, always

Prohass on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »
    Is the DZ still active? From what I've seen, it's mostly just "risky" PvE since the rewards are so much better and it's not really "worth it" to go rogue.

It's been pretty much empty every time I've checked it out, though I don't know if they split it based on world level or something. Which makes getting rogue kills and stealing the loot from the heli pretty much impossible at the moment unless I cheese it with someone (which I almost certainly will do at some point).
    furlion wrote: »

I put a lot of time into 2 and was going to go for the platinum when my damn game bugged after completing one of the missions. It was one of the missions you get a trophy for and since it didn't unlock, the other trophy for fully upgrading everything wouldn't unlock. It would mean completely replaying the story from scratch and it just doesn't justify that kind of time. If I could still earn base game achievements after jumping straight to 30 that would be one thing. Still a pretty fun game though.

Dang, that sucks :<

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I've got high hopes for Massive Entertainments open world Star Wars game based on The Division 2 alone.

There's plenty of issues with the politics of the game, but the world, gameplay and combat are top notch.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    For me it’s the level of detail in the world, I would love to see that level of detail in a large Star Wars setting

• Options
    So far, I have not ran out of space on the PS5.

• Options
    It's got a 1tb drive doesn't it?

As long as you're not just leaving everything installed, there shouldn't be an issue there. Even with games hitting 100gb these days, you can have half a dozen installed at any one time and still have a lot of space left.

• Options
    I got 2TB. I added a stick. I will have to check to make sure.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Dead Space Remake is utterly terrific. From the improved visuals and the changes to the core way the Ishimura is linked together. The zero G stuff is so good as well, much better than the clumsy jumping between surfaces of the original. This is early on in the game in Engineering, but demonstrates a lot of the changes to mechanics nicely. I didn't think you could improve on one of the best survival horror action games of all time, but they did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhx31TPyX8k

I will say that Dead Space was not balanced around the pulling spikes off enemies and chucking them part of Dead Space 2. It's hilariously overpowered in this and you don't have certain annoying enemies from DS2 to balance out your extra free weaponry in encounters.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Yeah I'm feeling better about the DS remake after putting more time into it. I would say that if you loved the game and haven't played it since release you really should look into picking it up.

All other people should probably wait for a price drop. $70 $60 is a lot of cash. And that's coming from a Dead Space fanboy. I've played all 3 (and the lightgun game) almost 20 or so times.

urahonky on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Curiously, it was basically the regular amount of NZ dollarydoos here. Forspoken is $134 NZ which corresponds roughly to the $70 but Dead Space was like $106 or something, which is about normal for a $60 US game.

The special edition is not worth the extra money whatsoever.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Aegeri wrote: »
    The special edition is not worth the extra money whatsoever.
    What, you don't want a pair of stylish hand-antlers? Hantlers?
    Still, I'll take that over the DLC in the original (I think one suit had a ridiculous amount of armor).

I'm only about halfway through, but I really hope this leads to a series revival. If we don't get 2 and 3 remakes, they could just re-release them on modern hardware and jump to developing DS4.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Okay even still... $60 is a lot of cash for a game if you've already played it. I thought it was $70 but I may have been thinking about Forspoken at the time.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Okay even still... $60 is a lot of cash for a game if you've already played it. I thought it was $70 but I may have been thinking about Forspoken at the time.

I can't get too mad at the Dead Space remake being sold at full price since the developers put quite a lot of time and effort into genuine improvements rather than just porting it over and calling it a day.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

I can't get too mad at the Dead Space remake being sold at full price since the developers put quite a lot of time and effort into genuine improvements rather than just porting it over and calling it a day.

I'm not mad at it. Just putting in a heads up for people on the fence. I love the game and am excited to play it on my PS5 but just wait for a sale. I didn't mean to imply that it's just a shitty cash grab.

• Options
    klemming wrote: »
    I'm only about halfway through, but I really hope this leads to a series revival. If we don't get 2 and 3 remakes, they could just re-release them on modern hardware and jump to developing DS4.

This is exactly my hope too. We need more space horror. If we get a Dead Space revival AND more Callisto Protocol games. I'll be a happy man.