As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Come talk about the Jaguar, 3DO and Gex in the [Retro Games] Thread

• GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    They treat the console like a Turbo Duo.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Also I am probably just lazy but I wish I could turn the MiSTer on remotely like other consoles. I'm thinking of moving it from my main TV to a smaller TV at some point, though, so maybe that'll be less of an issue then. I've found that you really do kind of need a smaller TV or a monitor or something for a lot of retro games. Honestly, could probably move it up to my computer and plug it into one of my monitors instead. Would make turning it on/off much less of a hassle, too.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Also I am probably just lazy but I wish I could turn the MiSTer on remotely like other consoles. I'm thinking of moving it from my main TV to a smaller TV at some point, though, so maybe that'll be less of an issue then. I've found that you really do kind of need a smaller TV or a monitor or something for a lot of retro games. Honestly, could probably move it up to my computer and plug it into one of my monitors instead. Would make turning it on/off much less of a hassle, too.

Sounds like you need a student intern to keep your games in a "save state" and to turn your MiSTer on and off for you.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    You could use one of these.

august on
    edited February 2023
    Why do they always do this thing where these mini computers don't have an off switch? I never understood that.

This nerd added a switch.
    https://youtu.be/ci5liZtbfZ0

Krathoon on
    I use the in-line switch from misteraddons plus I think their power supply, can't remember exactly where I got that from.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Why do they always do this thing where these mini computers don't have an off switch? I never understood that.

This nerd added a switch.
    https://youtu.be/ci5liZtbfZ0

Honestly because these things are meant to be part of a system that supplies power (and has a switch), or a field element that will always be left on.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Honestly because these things are meant to be part of a system that supplies power (and has a switch), or a field element that will always be left on.

If i recall the DE-10 Nano user's manual has instructions for connecting it to industrial cutting equipment.

august wrote: »

If i recall the DE-10 Nano user's manual has instructions for connecting it to industrial cutting equipment.

Oh. I get it. These are actually used in industrial and scientific stuff.

I think the ScummVM install script is supposed to go in the Scripts folder.
    The tutorial was putting it someplace else, but it looks like that directory does not exist.
    Maybe the tutorial was out of date.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    The biggest thing stopping me from playing the MiSTer much is the lack of save state support on a bunch of the major consoles I'd want to use it for (mainly SNES and Genesis). I'm at a point where I don't think I want to play a retro game without save states.

For being able to jump in and out I'm finding myself leaning towards games with save data or at least passwords. SNES seems somewhat better at battery backup, but especially the Sega and Turbo CD systems often have save support. So yeah that limitation can suck. The save state support on most of the handheld cores is pretty good but I don't love playing those on a big TV, which is where something like the Analogue Pocket is nice. Weirdly the PS1 core has save states...

For using states as a crutch because you suck (I know what that's like), don't sell yourself short if you haven't gotten to use FPGA with low-lag display and controller. You'd be surprised how much easier it makes action games when these were all designed around zero lag back in the day. Still some insanely hard bullshit that takes a ton of effort to master, but the likes of Mario or even Contra 1 really aren't that bad with responsive controls. And there's pretty good cheat support if you want something like infinite lives to keep going at a tough boss.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Personally I want save states just so I can stop playing when I want, not when I get to a save point.

• GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Weirdly the PS1 core has save states...

Isn't the issue with the SNES that it has to make room for all the custom chips as well as the original hardware?

I've read that the whole PSX core takes up ~92% of the FPGA logic gates but about 30% of that is reserved for the save state feature.

Gim on
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    All this talk of FPGAs and cores reminds me I really should update my ZX Spectrum Next (also an FPGA-based machine).

Gim wrote: »
    Weirdly the PS1 core has save states...

Isn't the issue with the SNES that it has to make room for all the custom chips as well as the original hardware?

I've read that the whole core takes up ~92% of the FPGA logic gates but about 30% of that is reserved for the save state feature.

Yeah that is a problem but, last resort would be to split up the various core SNES + different helper chip combos into separate cores.

The bigger stumbling block is that it's just a lot of effort if you didn't plan it out at the beginning. Especially the ability to arbitrarily pause and resume the entire core. Every single element needs to have a clock control.

Just when I am about to get some games setup in ScummVM, GoG Galaxy craps out on me.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    The biggest thing stopping me from playing the MiSTer much is the lack of save state support on a bunch of the major consoles I'd want to use it for (mainly SNES and Genesis). I'm at a point where I don't think I want to play a retro game without save states.

For being able to jump in and out I'm finding myself leaning towards games with save data or at least passwords. SNES seems somewhat better at battery backup, but especially the Sega and Turbo CD systems often have save support. So yeah that limitation can suck. The save state support on most of the handheld cores is pretty good but I don't love playing those on a big TV, which is where something like the Analogue Pocket is nice. Weirdly the PS1 core has save states...

For using states as a crutch because you suck (I know what that's like), don't sell yourself short if you haven't gotten to use FPGA with low-lag display and controller. You'd be surprised how much easier it makes action games when these were all designed around zero lag back in the day. Still some insanely hard bullshit that takes a ton of effort to master, but the likes of Mario or even Contra 1 really aren't that bad with responsive controls. And there's pretty good cheat support if you want something like infinite lives to keep going at a tough boss.

I've been doing a lot of JRPGs and there are often looooooong stretches between save points.

Stabbity_Style.png
    edited February 2023
    I was going to try the Police Quest games. I never played them before.
    I put them on the MiSTer.
    The Phantasmagorias are on there now.

Krathoon on
    I guess the menu button should not be set to start. I guess I should set it to a trigger button.

I've been doing a lot of JRPGs and there are often looooooong stretches between save points.

There's not really a whole lot of gain from FPGA over software emulation in turn-based RPGs. Blah blah blah accuracy but reeealy I find out the main difference comes down to input lag and audio sync, which aren't super relevant in most JRPGs.

edited February 2023
    The PlayStation core is doing this flickering on the logo that annoys me. Also, the analog stick is not working.
    For some reason, ScummVM could not detect Police Quest 4. Maybe the gog install screwed up.

Krathoon on
    edited February 2023
    The PlayStation core is doing this flickering on the logo that annoys me. Also, the analog stick is not working.

Change deinterlacing mode from "bob" to "weave." This is going to be preferred in 99% of PS1 games where interlacing is used for still screens and menus.

For analog support, in the Mister main menu (outside of the core), make sure to define your gamepad fully to the end. You need to set both thumbstick 1 and 2, as well as all the way at the end, when it asks for "tilt stick" use the left stick again. Then in the PS1 core you need to switch to analog or dualshock mode, either via the menu or cycle through via mouse click.

rahkeesh2000 on
    edited February 2023
    The original Double Switch is so low res and low color. I am glad they did the remaster on it and Night Trap.
    So much detail was lost.

Krathoon on
    I think I need to enable analog on the psx core.

edited February 2023
    Hah. This happened. This was 3 years ago. Totally slipped by me.
    https://youtu.be/vIyYLI9wfKs

Krathoon on
    I think I need to enable analog on the psx core.

The actual PS1 needed you to enable the analog function on the controller - and as I recall even the original non-DualShock model had two different modes for it but I don't recall the difference outside of the LED going green or red. I think. It's been a while! But yeah, it makes sense that you'd need to enable that manually in the core.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    onOETJI.jpeg
    554194c0f3cac14053bcd31e9f26d2ea.jpg

edited February 2023
    Police Quest 4 is the most campiest damn game. The music is really eerie.
    They did something weird with the gog version. You can't run it in ScummVM. You have to get an original copy.

Krathoon on
    edited February 2023
    All of the Sierra VGA remakes are good. I think it is because they have the original people involved.

I am getting the Sega Saturn setup on the MiSTer. Copying the games over.

The Sierra Help pages has all the documents and patches on Sierra games.
    http://www.sierrahelp.com/Games/GameHelp.html

Krathoon on
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    august wrote: »

Oh. I get it. These are actually used in industrial and scientific stuff.

This is actually an evaluation board for people developing FPGA products. It's a stripped down version of the big boy devkit
    45degree2.jpg

Phyphor on
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    All of the Sierra VGA remakes are good. I think it is because they have the original people involved.

I am getting the Sega Saturn setup on the MiSTer. Copying the games over.

The Sierra Help pages has all the documents and patches on Sierra games.
    http://www.sierrahelp.com/Games/GameHelp.html

Honestly even the later AGD semi-official fan project ones that were done by other people were pretty good.

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I want to use my Analogue Pocket some more. I got quite a bit of GB and GBA games but does anyone have any specific games they recommend I should try to get?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      I want to use my Analogue Pocket some more. I got quite a bit of GB and GBA games but does anyone have any specific games they recommend I should try to get?

What kinds of games do you enjoy?

What kinds of games do you enjoy?

I'm all over when it comes to consoles. Old school FFs, castlevania , metroid, platformers, TBS like FF Tactics Advance or advance wars.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
        edited February 2023
        Do you want more obscure stuff? I’m assuming its a waste of time to say stuff like “all the Castlevanias, Final Fantasies, Zeldas, and Metroids”.

Mother 3 and Fire Emblem 6 for GBA never got translated for the US but there are complete fan translations out..

Tactics Ogre: Knight of the Lodis was good and Tactics ogre was obscure for a long time but less so now. Still its a totally different game from Tactics Ogre Reborn and worth playing.

In case you somehow missed them, both Golden Sun games are pretty good. Also the Megaman Z games get looked over a lot compared to the original series and X series but they are good. Again though not so obscure anymore since the rerelease.

One weird one I recommend a lot is Rebelstar Tactical command. Its basically mission based XCOM if it was in the FF Tactics engine.

Jealous Deva on
        edited February 2023
        The Saturn core works really well. Some games do not run, but the ones that do work really well.
        For some reason, there is no sound on the firmware screen.

I was using the universal bios for it. I don't know if I should add the other regions or how to add them.
        It seemed like it was running Japanese games fine.

Krathoon on
        Do you want more obscure stuff? I’m assuming its a waste of time to say stuff like “all the Castlevanias, Final Fantasies, Zeldas, and Metroids”.

Mother 3 and Fire Emblem 6 for GBA never got translated for the US but there are complete fan translations out..

Tactics Ogre: Knight of the Lodis was good and Tactics ogre was obscure for a long time but less so now. Still its a totally different game from Tactics Ogre Reborn and worth playing.

In case you somehow missed them, both Golden Sun games are pretty good. Also the Megaman Z games get looked over a lot compared to the original series and X series but they are good. Again though not so obscure anymore since the rerelease.

One weird one I recommend a lot is Rebelstar Tactical command. Its basically mission based XCOM if it was in the FF Tactics engine.

Just whatever you think is a "can't miss" I can filter from a list what I think I might like. Tactics Ogres are always good.

I found this edition of Double Switch for $34 on eBay. Good deal.
          https://limitedrungames.com/products/switch-limited-run-41-double-switch-classic-edition

Now I will see if I can get a physical copy of Night Trap.

Just whatever you think is a "can't miss" I can filter from a list what I think I might like. Tactics Ogres are always good.

Doom was a solid port for the time, although obviously there's better ways to enjoy it now. Same with Doom II. But playing them on GBA at the time was super cool.

Max Payne was a remarkable ground-up conversion, with a fixed isometric viewpoint, and far better than it had any right to be.

Ninja Five-0 was apparently a brilliant game, I really should get to trying that one myself soon.

Metal Gear Solid (aka Metal Gear: Ghost Babel) on GBC was another one that was far better than you'd ever expect.