As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

James Cameron's Avatar: Zola‘u nìprrte’

CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
dGT7UD6.jpg
Welcome to the magical world of Pandora. You've waited 13 years but it's finally time. Experience Avatar: The Way of Water in IMAX 3D at 48fps srefwa sngap zize. This thread is a zongtseng for all to discuss how Pandora changed your life, or how Avatar: The Way of Water is the most successful movie of all time, or even how you thought Avatar: The Way of Water was not very good and problematic. I'm sure there will be a lot to talk about. After all, fwa kan ke tam; zene swizawit livonu.

Don't forget to buy the incredible merchandise if you want James Cameron to make Avatar 6 and 7.

Eywa ngahu

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    does jake sully hang giant blue cat dong in this one

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Heading into evening of day two of the movie being shown and there’s no new posts? Am I reading into it or is that a sign the film is landing with no splash?

I mean, I’m not planning to see it. It sounds like over three hours of beautiful underwater shots with the same basic story as the first. Not something that’s worth $20 and three hours to me. Assuming my impression is correct.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jr.Jr. Registered User regular
    I’m going to watch the avatars next week

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    This isn’t Battle Angel Alita 2

Where’s my Flan Loving Mad Scientist, Jim? Where is he?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    I’m going next week just need to find someone to watch my pom because it’s a long movie B)

• Options
    B) My neighbor likes to watch my pomeranian

• Options
    It was like the first avatar was speaking to me I don’t even speak Navi it was like when I read Harry Potter again

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Over 3 hours in a theatre is a big fucking ask these days and I am certainly not going to do it for Avatar - seriously, whatever happened to intermissions

If it's good I'll put it on streaming when I'm hungover or something

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Over 3 hours in a theatre is a big fucking ask these days and I am certainly not going to do it for Avatar - seriously, whatever happened to intermissions

One hundred fucking percent this.

Three goddamn hours? Are you kidding me?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

In this economy they have to give you more for your money if the economy was amazing movies would only be an hour but in this economy people want closer to 3 hours of entertainment when they go out . Be glad this isn’t a great depression if you don’t like long movies movies would probably be 5 to 6 hours in those scenarios . If too many people didn’t want to see a 1 hour movie or too many wanted to see 6 hour movie they could charge by the hour to balance it out

• Options

They could add intermission but that would make it a 4 hour movie

• Options
    o:)o:)
    Jr. wrote: »
    I’m going next week just need to find someone to watch my pom because it’s a long movie B)

I let my pom watch movies at home but she might bark at the screen in the movie theater because it’s so big she is just used to the tv so she doesn’t bark at it she’s a good dog though

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited December 2022

In this economy they have to give you more for your money if the economy was amazing movies would only be an hour but in this economy people want closer to 3 hours of entertainment when they go out . Be glad this isn’t a great depression if you don’t like long movies movies would probably be 5 to 6 hours in those scenarios . If too many people didn’t want to see a 1 hour movie or too many wanted to see 6 hour movie they could charge by the hour to balance it out

No. No, this is not an economy or a customer base thing.

This is studios' and film creators failing to write or edit coherent, complete movie stories that finish in two to two and a half hours maximum. If a story comes out longer than that, cut it up and make it a mini-series.

Also, Jr., I emplore you to edit your last post instead of making multiple ones in a row if no one else has posted yet in a thread.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

This is studios' and film creators failing to write or edit coherent, complete movie stories that finish in two to two and a half hours maximum. If a story comes out longer than that, cut it up and make it a mini-series.

Also, Jr., I emplore you to edit your last post instead of making multiple ones in a row if no one else has posted yet in a thread.

During the last great depression they couldn’t make such long movies because cameras didn’t hold as much film. Now the cameras have hard dives so you can film much longer movies that’s why they make movies a certain length to match the economy now

personally I’m looking forward to the new avatar my mom and I are going to go and I think my neighbor will watch my pom 🐶

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited December 2022

I thought they were making a joke about needing more movie for your ticket in this economy.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    B) I just watched the trailer to get more hyped I even turned up the sound

• Options
    Has anyone seen the new avatar yet? Like anybody here obviously the critics and fans have been watching it already I’m going this week with my mom can’t wait :)

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    I’ve got tickets to see this at an outdoor theatre with a free open bar.

I want more than 3 hours.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    So did this make money or what?

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    So did this make money or what?

Somehow, yes it incontrovertibly made money, apparently

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    *walks into the sea*

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    *walks into the sea*

Careful, Na'vi fuck in it

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Somehow it made as much as the last Spider-Man movie did, but I don't know if I know a single person who has actually talked about it in real life, let alone online

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I have watched this in 3D and it was awesome

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I saw this in 3D last night. The main draw for me was the visuals - all the cool creatures, environments, etc. - so I went in with fairly low expectations re: writing. Opinion: it is a perfectly cromulent adventure movie! Very trope-y, but there's nothing wrong with that. Some clunky dialog, but lots of little moments that make the characters feel human. Several plot threads were introduced that are obviously being saved for exploration in further sequels. The teenage characters are both the focus and the best part of the movie. And the visuals are indeed awesome.

I've definitely spent $10 on worse :tongue:

There weren't really any iconic moments, imho. Lots of stuff that was fun to watch (and once scene that's brutal, and if you've seen it you know which one), and lots of beautiful set and creature design; but nothing in particular that makes you go, "Man, wasn't it awesome when ______?" Which isn't really a criticism, but might explain why nobody's really talking about it.

I can't speak to the use of indiginous stereotypes, mostly because I don't know enough about real-life indigenous cultures to know whether or in what ways the fictional ones in the movie were problematic. I'd love to hear a more informed take on that!

Jake Sully is much less of a white savior in this one, for what it's worth. He still winds up leading an army (navy?) of native people against white/human colonizers, but this time it's very much clear that they're the ones doing him a favor, rather than the other way around. (Jake is frequently a dumbass, in my opinion; but, as with many stories with a white male protagonist, I'm often unsure whether the movie wants me to think he's a dumbass, or if I'm just seeing it through an insufficiently patriarchal lens.)

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Zola‘u nìprrte’, trril nì’i’a pähem.

Avatar: The Way of Water will be streaming on Disney+ on June 7th, and will be available on Bluray on June 20th.
    pl29npgk8lw8.jpg
    Avatar will also be available in 4KUHD for the first time on June 20th!
    c8m6ckr10sne.jpg

Eywa ngahu.