As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Disgaea & co] Still taking strategy RPGs to hell, with honor. [D7's out!]

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited October 2023 in Games and Technology
Back in 2003, a more innocent time, when strategy RPGs had damage that reached four digits at most, and the game stopped when the story did...

Until these clowns showed up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOsvsyIElRI

And the rest is Netherworldian history.

Here's a brief summation of the stories(?) so far:

Disgaea: Hour of Darkness (2003)
iln5dyxw3wlh.png
(PS2, DS, PSP, PC, etc)

The game that started it all: introduced astronomical levels of damage, the dark court, Prinnies, and a crazy cast of characters that the series still pulls from to this day.

Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories (2006)
lsjhaeqfy7tl.png
(PS2, PC, PSP)

A slightly more serious but still often wacky tale about a demon hunter out to return his family to normal.
Introduced crazy and often exclusive additions like the felony system, even crazier item worlds, and the Dark Sun mechanic.

Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice (2008)
b78ci5a606v6.png
(PS3, PSV)

A return to the more wacky stylings of 1, a low key story about a Netherworld Honor Student out to dethrone his crazed father with the help of the school's top delinquents).
Introduced classroom formations, one of my favorite mechanics that lets teams get benefits from each other in battle, and using Geoblocks instead of panels(which can be stacked upwards).

Raspberyl, mach love!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKWaMMASy28

Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten (2011)
amkg6syg8vxn.png
(PS3, PSV, PS4, PC, NSW)
A heartfelt tale about a Prinny instructor out to protect his wards from the evils of the Netherworld.
The first game to utilize gorgeous HD sprites instead of the PS2 models, and it shows. Also introduced the mechanic of using monsters as weapons.

Disgaea D2 (2013)
x29ik1fctxzf.png
(PS3)
A sequel to the original game, introducing a female Laharl, and mostly going back to the basics.

Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance (2015)
6uq9oedmbzur.png
(PS4, NSW, PC)
A ragtag group of outcasted overlords set out to dethrone a rampaging Overlord before he conquers the entire universe.
D5 also started having a quest system, in addition to Revenge mechanics, where taking enough damage lets a character become super powerful.

Disgaea 6: Defiance of Destiny
c0265qgi1073.png
(PS4, PS5, PC, NSW)
The less said, the better. An extremely divisive entry that started using auto battle, and ugly-as-sin 3d models instead of sprites.

And last and hopefully not least, just announced:

Disgaea 7: Vows of the Virtueless

2q6v7cygtpjr.png
While it still uses 6's inferior models instead of sprites, it seems to have a lot of charm that 6 lacked, and is hopefully backpedaling on the mechanics from 6 that (rightfully) put players off.

Rhapsody 2 and 3 are also coming, the OG Nippon Ichi RPGs, storybook-esque musical RPGs which are comparatively low stakes and straightforward cute experiences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxjCLGeeGAQ

Feel free to talk about those and many of the other NIS-adjacent SRPGs: La Pucelle, Soul Nomad, ZHP, even Guided Fate Paradox and The Witch & The Hundred Knight if you like.
(and let me know if I missed anything, apart from Infinite. :P )

dBMjOy1.jpg

wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on

• KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Something tells me in 5 years we're all just going to agree not to talk about Disgaea 6.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    If I get another Disgaea it won't be for the Switch that's for damn sure.

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    It comes out later in the year, probably in time to find out whether there is a new Switch coming out by holiday season or not. If there is no Switch update in sight then I'll have to consider getting it for Steam instead.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Yeah, definitely going to be a PC purchase. On the off chance I get a PS5 maybe there. Probably wouldn't get it for PS4 just because mine is getting a little older now and they don't make consoles like they used to. The PC ports seem to be very inconsistent though and all have wildly different bugs or amount of bugs.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Are the Switch versions bad? La Pucelle's run pretty good on the NSW, though I imagine Disgaea's a whole other ball game.

wVEsyIc.png
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    6 was a complete mess on the Switch only to launch on PS4/5 and Steam later, screwing over anyone who was suckered into buying a Switch copy.

5 wasn't exactly the best performing game either.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    did the switch chug with 5? i thought a lot of people loved it. i only played it on ps4 though, and later bought it again on steam.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Talith wrote: »

Disgaea 5 sold 300k units and Disgaea 5 Complete sold another 200k. That's pretty good for a small company like Nippon Ichi.

Heffling wrote: »
    Talith wrote: »

Disgaea 5 sold 300k units and Disgaea 5 Complete sold another 200k. That's pretty good for a small company like Nippon Ichi.

I meant the way it ran on the Switch. Frequently had slow down and occasionally long load times.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    I had no problems with 5 on the Switch at all. Can't remember a single issue.

6 I did feel a little lag but the "almost a mobile game" stuff was more pressing. But then again, I really did enjoy programming the AI for my item world runs and stuff.

Here's how the upcoming plushies look. They added the original Trio to the store.

gifzeqxrpyp9.png

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Finally started the new content in La Pucelle Ragnarok, and boy, they weren't kidding about the new voice acting. I haven't noticed a plummet in quality that bad since the last time I played an Idea Factory game.

wVEsyIc.png
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    I just noticed the new villain is Commodore Perry lol

I see articles claim that it has more generic types than any other Disgaea game, but I don't think that's true?

PLA on
    Poster vote for Rhapsody 2/3's release:

https://www.nisamerica.com/rhapsody-chronicles/contest/poster-voting

I voted for:
    i6llm4u4d8cy.png
    c9e402pbcmt9.png

They're all cute, but I like the others more than the main R3 melancholy image:

hk58ns9o29ei.png

wVEsyIc.png
    Reviews for Monster Menu on the Japanese side are aggressively mediocre and only for those that like the concept, visuals, and company. There is no denying it is a low budget, low polish game from NIS and I suspect it's a game tacked on to their attempt at a character creation tool.

I'll probably get it later on discount when I'm done getting through the other higher priority games I've got lined up.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    I'm not sure how I feel about 5 making it so skipping Item World levels doesn't gain a level on the item, I've been exploiting that mechanic for years now...

There's a ton of QoL fixes in 5 I like, but it feels like they also wanted to make the game less broken, which is most of the fun.

wVEsyIc.png
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'm not sure how I feel about 5 making it so skipping Item World levels doesn't gain a level on the item, I've been exploiting that mechanic for years now...

There's a ton of QoL fixes in 5 I like, but it feels like they also wanted to make the game less broken, which is most of the fun.

Eh. I'd say it's far more broken than 3 or 4, but it's broken in different ways, and leveling (and duping) items isn't the way. From what I recall, they're basically ignorable on the power curve from around level 80 until like... difficulty 20 carnage superbosses because base stat pumping is ridiculous in 5.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Eh. I'd say it's far more broken than 3 or 4, but it's broken in different ways, and leveling (and duping) items isn't the way. From what I recall, they're basically ignorable on the power curve from around level 80 until like... difficulty 20 carnage superbosses because base stat pumping is ridiculous in 5.

I do like some of the stuff they added to Item World, like deciding what you want to encounter more via paths, but it feels like the unpredictable chaos was part of the experience.

I'm just used to breaking the early game via Item World by using the level bonuses from overpowered enemies to buff new party members' levels through the roof. :P
    (Usually thanks to the Deathblow geo panel)

wVEsyIc.png
    edited March 2023
    Gotta say, the new Demon Overlord Prier arc in La Pucelle Ragnarok goes hard. It's on some Revenge of the Sith ish.
    0ai4lmo2f0sr.png

It's basically a genocide route. She kills all her friends and goes after Croix solo.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    Poll for D7 cover:

https://www.nisamerica.com/disgaea/d7/contest/reverse

The best one is losing. :(

dunrcq2sr7r6.png

wVEsyIc.png
    wVEsyIc.png
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    I mean, Disgaea 5 had 44 before DLC, and 4 had 39 at base.

ztrEPtD.gif
    i am so sad that they didnt include the nine tails. but i guess it's probably a bit more complex of a model than they want to include. hopefully the menuing in 7 feels more like 5 and not the weirdly laggy 6.

edited July 2023
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi5NZzatBKo

We're getting the game with a dub!
    That's good!

But they're not dubbing the songs.
    That's bad.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    Just got the Rhapsody 2/3 LE, and they sure outdid themselves:
    57nvj5u7mxc5.jpg

z6f1xvcfk72t.jpg

wVEsyIc.png
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I'm actually surprised NISA went to the trouble of dubbing the games (for everything but the songs). Impressive.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    skeldare wrote: »
    I'm actually surprised NISA went to the trouble of dubbing the games (for everything but the songs). Impressive.

Yeah, I figured it was all or nothing.

wVEsyIc.png
    Rhapsody 2's dub is surprisingly solid so far, peak PS1 energy(in a good way).

wVEsyIc.png
    A demo for Disgaea 7 is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx2StiwZks4

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Wow, going for the deep cut there.

wVEsyIc.png
  • MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Fuck yeah, Tsunami Bomb. Disgaea 1 sold me their whole discography in about 30 seconds

Started the D7 demo and cleared chapter 1. So far it looks and performs better than 6 did on the switch, even while on Graphics mode instead of performance mode. Too early in the game to get any real opinions about the game and story formed yet though.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    Yeah I did chapter 1 and like 1 of the chapter 2 maps. The animations are kinda barebones. Like they have no weight behind them or are very rigid. I usually end up turning off animations to speed things up after I've seen most things, but they're not really good enough to even see the first time.

I'm mixed on the models and presentation, especially the awkward cutaways to the attacks, but I'm digging the story a lot more than 5's.

wVEsyIc.png
    I cleared the Monster Menu demo yesterday before D7 came out and now I wish I could make my own unique unit in D8.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    I beat the first 2 chapters last night. Seems fine so far. I'm not super sold on the 3d models, and some of the attack animations are kinda meh, but others are fine. Kinda wish there were team attacks animations and that the regular attacks weren't so rigid. It does seem better than 6 so there's that.

I end up going on a 2, 4, or 5 kick every so often, so if this is anywhere in the ballpark I'll just have a 4th game to screw around with when I want some mostly mindless game to play.

Really wish that NIS had stuck with the HD sprites, they had so much character and looked great.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA