As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pride and Prejudice and Goncharov [Movies]

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I think you'll find that I will not like it

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Ladai wrote: »
    Skinamarink, so far…I’m getting Paranormal Activity vibes where it’s probably good in a dark room with other people who easily get freaked out but alone in the morning…it’s kind of boring

The one review I saw described the first 45 minutes as basically nothing but static shots establising A Mood. And then, right as the reviewer was thinking about turning it off, it apparently kicked into gear and was legit terrifying.

The whole film is, for better and worse, what you get from seeing the trailer. It's extremely difficult in ways, and also extremely easy in ways, to spoil. You see a lot, but you also don't see much at all, and you're also told very little. Skinamarink spoilers
    For a while I was of the belief that they were just in Hell now. But then I saw a far more interesting read/interpretation from Jane Schoenbrun (director of We're All Going to the World's Fair, which I heavily championed as being amazing last year) that I've come around to more. The whole tweet thread is great:

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I enjoyed Jenny Nicholson's video comparing the similar themes of "Split" and "Finding Dory", and that's pretty much all I care to consume of those two movies.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »
    Yeah, like Old has something to say about the dangers of going to magical beaches if you have faulty bones.

Shit like that is important to know, it's cinema about real stuff.

Well…there is definitely a “message” to Old. I’m not going to get into the ending because I’m lazy and don’t want to type it out though.

Both those posts were less than serious, which I had hoped was obvious.

So I'd probably not bother - unless you're going to go in-depth about how Mid-Sized Sedan is a pretty amazing name, in which case please.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah, like Old has something to say about the dangers of going to magical beaches if you have faulty bones.

Shit like that is important to know, it's cinema about real stuff.

Well…there is definitely a “message” to Old. I’m not going to get into the ending because I’m lazy and don’t want to type it out though.

Both those posts were less than serious, which I had hoped was obvious.

So I'd probably not bother - unless you're going to go in-depth about how Mid-Sized Sedan is a pretty amazing name, in which case please.

Oh I wasn’t saying you were wrong or defending the movie. Just saying he definitely tried to have a message to the movie.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Sometimes you wonder what it would be like if someone good got to make a movie once instead of Shyamalan eight times

It's not like he's taking studio money from someone else, his last four films combined cost like 60 million

He produces the films himself. He fronts most of the budget.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I was curious so I checked. His last four films have a combined budget of $52 million, with a combined box office take of $714 million.

So, uh, it definitely seems like he's found his niche in this low budget, high reward groove he's been in.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Glass is all about the audience and how they need to pack away their ideas of cinema, and their wants, and instead experience the story they are given.

What, just because the movie spends roughly 47 minutes talking about that tower you think it's important? That it'll feature in the climax?

Fuck no, you'll get James McAvoy galloping like a horse girl in a parking lot, and you'll fucking like it!

and Lady in the Water is about how storytellers are the most important people in the world and critics are self-important know-it-alls who actually know nothing and deserve to die.

Like someone else said, he is not subtle.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I do love me some Lady in the Water

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Lady in the Water is one of the worst movies I've ever seen in a theater

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    ladies in water should hand out swords to those who should be king

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Lady in the Water is one of the worst movies I've ever seen in a theater

I also saw it in the theater…I had a very different experience.

Is it fucking STUPID? Oh god yeah it is.

Is it entertaining? You better believe it!

Does Paul Giamatti devour every scene he is in? When does he not?

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I snuck into Lady in the Water after paying for and watching something else (The Prestige, I think?) because I had an entire afternoon to kill.

I, uh, got what I deserved, I suppose.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    In the back quarter of How to Be an Antiracist, which is quite good, Ibram X. Kendi reveals that his favourite movie ever is M. Night Shyamalan's "After Earth" and I don't mean to say that if that revelation was near the beginning it would have caused me to so doubt his judgement as to discard the book, but

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I saw Lady in the Water in theaters and I don't think I hated it, more that I have a blank space in my brain where an opinion should be. Just do not remember anything about it whatsoever.

• Options
    Do you remember the guy who only worked out 1 arm?!?

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I snuck into Lady in the Water after paying for and watching something else (The Prestige, I think?) because I had an entire afternoon to kill.

I, uh, got what I deserved, I suppose.

Especially since the best movie to watch immediately after The Prestige is The Prestige.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I saw both The Prestige and The Illusionist in theaters, and while I'm like 99% sure they were on different days, my brain has condensed the timelines to where it was a double-feature

Man The Illusionist sucked

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Unless I hear universal acclaim, I ain’t seeing a Shymalan movie unless I am paid to do so

A middling, ~70% on Rotten Tomatoes, “oh this isn’t that bad, it’s okay” kind of reception? I heard that shit about The Visit and that movie sucks on ice, I ain’t getting fooled again

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    I didn’t HATE The Illusionist but it was definitely on the boring side.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    I didn’t HATE The Illusionist but it was definitely on the boring side.

I can't remember much at all about the story, but for some reason, my complaints about the look of it have been seared into my brain. It felt like they picked the wrong lenses for shots or something. I remember thinking they shot the interiors like exteriors and shot the exteriors like interiors, and it looked like ass and I hated it. And I thought that all the (era-appropriate, in a lot of cases) wallpaper was too visually busy and also looked like ass.

I have NO idea why it stuck with me so hard, nobody even remembers that movie so it's not like it comes up a lot

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    I really appreciate that M Night has found new success and an audience while betting so much on himself. I really respect him for that.

I do not like the vast majority of his movies and find his handling of themes not my taste

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    In the back quarter of How to Be an Antiracist, which is quite good, Ibram X. Kendi reveals that his favourite movie ever is M. Night Shyamalan's "After Earth" and I don't mean to say that if that revelation was near the beginning it would have caused me to so doubt his judgement as to discard the book, but

I...did not realize until this moment that After Earth was directed by Shyamalan. I don't even know how to process that.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I certainly found the writing to smack of Night's signature unearthly stupidity

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    I hated The Illusionist so much (spoilers for both Prestige/Illusionist)
    The dude wasn't doing magic the entire film, but they abused CGI to do literally, impossible tricks to fake it and make you think he was. Horrible story telling and basically zero redeeming stuff

At least The Prestige was doing, actual magician acts (for the most part, beyond the last act) and not literally lying with straight bullshit like the former film

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    That's also part of why Jesse Eisenberg is the worst part of the Now You See Me Movies

Practical effects are important!

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    That's also part of why Jesse Eisenberg is the worst part of the Now You See Me Movies

don't get me started on those

• Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

don't get me started on those

Come on, get started!

• Options
    something something what a colossal fuckup on the naming of the now you see me sequel

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Now You 3 Me

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I think all M. movies would have been better as 20 minute shorts, but hey, they ain’t hurting me.

I’ve already made all my sequel posts for that movie. I assume you all save them so just open the document for some good posts.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    This is how I would have named the movies

Now You See Me

Now You Don’t

Oh here I am again in your line of vision

Or am I?

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options

Man, this sucks shit to me

Theatre's theatre and movies are movies, if I want to see somebody jump around in front of a movie I'll go to a midnight Rocky Horror screening

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah I just saw that myself and it's such a movie solution to a completely solved theatre problem.

I recently saw a puppet production of Moby Dick that was pulling off those exact perspective tricks during their whaling scenes - they did like, a top down map view of the ship sailing along through the ocean with whales swimming around it and such (all performed by puppeteers in all black effectively invisible on the black stage), and then when one of the whales surfaced they did the whole "Thar she blows" and everyone turned their puppets sideways to switch to the hunting view and launch the little whaling boats from the main ship and such. All of it done with just... actors and puppets and some good lighting/sound design.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular

Theatre's theatre and movies are movies, if I want to see somebody jump around in front of a movie I'll go to a midnight Rocky Horror screening

That's not a cool theater, that's a fucking show at Universal Studios for the Bourne movies. It's a live action stunt show.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Yeah I just saw that myself and it's such a movie solution to a completely solved theatre problem.

I recently saw a puppet production of Moby Dick that was pulling off those exact perspective tricks during their whaling scenes - they did like, a top down map view of the ship sailing along through the ocean with whales swimming around it and such (all performed by puppeteers in all black effectively invisible on the black stage), and then when one of the whales surfaced they did the whole "Thar she blows" and everyone turned their puppets sideways to switch to the hunting view and launch the little whaling boats from the main ship and such. All of it done with just... actors and puppets and some good lighting/sound design.

https://youtu.be/8Se8iNbn644

Basically, watching people find ways to make shit happen is always more interesting than "we made computer do it".

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Limitations are interesting!

• Options
    Magell wrote: »

That's not a cool theater, that's a fucking show at Universal Studios for the Bourne movies. It's a live action stunt show.

I thought you were saying this as a joke hypothetical thing that it feels like but no, I guess that is actually what this is?

• Options
    Wasn't there some other technovangelist dork who said we could make books more "immersive" by using AI to animate them

This weird recurring idea that "immersion" is the complete absence of imagination, that people are somehow more invested the less they have to bring to a work - it's the damnedest thing.

It's like this bone-deep disdain for creativity, for liminal spaces, for abstraction and metaphor and emotion. For things that make us human. It then takes this fundamental disconnection from humanity and assumes everyone wants it, that it's an innovation, that it's the inevitable future, an evolution, an improvement over dreaming beyond the confines of what we can directly see. Imprisonment masquerading as liberation.

Shit's fucked, man.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Wasn't there some other technovangelist dork who said we could make books more "immersive" by using AI to animate them

This weird recurring idea that "immersion" is the complete absence of imagination, that people are somehow more invested the less they have to bring to a work - it's the damnedest thing.

It's like this bone-deep disdain for creativity, for liminal spaces, for abstraction and metaphor and emotion. For things that make us human. It then takes this fundamental disconnection from humanity and assumes everyone wants it, that it's an innovation, that it's the inevitable future, an evolution, an improvement over dreaming beyond the confines of what we can directly see. Imprisonment masquerading as liberation.

Shit's fucked, man.

Reminds me of the crypto bros talking about how most books could just be 7 paragraph blog posts or podcasts.

Grim.

This discussion has been closed.