As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The little crystal turtle [Pokémon] is pretty cute.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Some are expressly, but some just have supernatural powers relating to ghosts like Hisuian Typhlosian. Then others just have ghost like qualities, like Jellicent is composed of enough liquid material it is effectively intangible. Then there’a Decidueye for some reason (yes, I know the theories he’s based off an extinct owl species or is very stealthy, but those seem tenuous at best).

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    If ghost type meant dead then pumpkaboo straight up murders its foes but only temporarily.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Greninja raids are live. So far I've won three raids; strategy and raid info follows.
    Greninja has Hydro Pump, Gunk Shot, Night Slash, and Ice Beam. This gives it neutral coverage against all Pokemon in the game and it can't be hard-walled on a single attacking stat either.

Greninja opens with a scripted Double Team and Toxic Spikes, meaning taking KOs is especially deadly. It will use additional Double Teams at various time barriers, along with Gunk Shot somewhere around half HP / half time bar.

Greninja has an early (in terms of the time bar) your-party stat reset, but that's the only one. Surviving the early phases of the raid means plenty of opportunity for setup afterward.

The Slowbro build from the Cinderace raid (high Def, Iron Defense / Nasty Plot / Stored Power / Slack Off) works here, but not as easily as with Cinderace. You'll need your party to be on the ball with Hang Tough and Heal Up while you Iron Defense to ride out the initial wave.

I created a Toxapex as a support unit for the Cinderace raid, which combines terrifically with Slowbro here. Chilling Water / Acid Spray / Recover / Fourth Move Irrelevant with high Defense means you easily tank everything Greninja can throw at you while making things easier for your team to handle. Open with Hang Tough and use Chilling Water to about -3 to neuter Greninja's physical moves (especially Night Slash, which is what it's going to be hitting your Slowbro with), then use Acid Spray. With some luck, your Slowbro should be online and ready to start using Stored Power by the sixth or seventh round, which should pick up the KO in one or two shots.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I was able to catch a Greninja on my second attempt. I was using Gastrodon who doesn't do much damage but takes hits really well.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Cururu wrote: »
    Are all Ghost types actually dead/undead, though?

Admittedly no, though with Annihilape I'd argue what' I think is happening is heavily implied.

With Skeledirge I read that the bird spirit that accompanies him and is used during Torch Song is the reason it is a Ghost-type.

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    Greninja raids are live. So far I've won three raids; strategy and raid info follows.
    Greninja has Hydro Pump, Gunk Shot, Night Slash, and Ice Beam. This gives it neutral coverage against all Pokemon in the game and it can't be hard-walled on a single attacking stat either.

Greninja opens with a scripted Double Team and Toxic Spikes, meaning taking KOs is especially deadly. It will use additional Double Teams at various time barriers, along with Gunk Shot somewhere around half HP / half time bar.

Greninja has an early (in terms of the time bar) your-party stat reset, but that's the only one. Surviving the early phases of the raid means plenty of opportunity for setup afterward.

The Slowbro build from the Cinderace raid (high Def, Iron Defense / Nasty Plot / Stored Power / Slack Off) works here, but not as easily as with Cinderace. You'll need your party to be on the ball with Hang Tough and Heal Up while you Iron Defense to ride out the initial wave.

I created a Toxapex as a support unit for the Cinderace raid, which combines terrifically with Slowbro here. Chilling Water / Acid Spray / Recover / Fourth Move Irrelevant with high Defense means you easily tank everything Greninja can throw at you while making things easier for your team to handle. Open with Hang Tough and use Chilling Water to about -3 to neuter Greninja's physical moves (especially Night Slash, which is what it's going to be hitting your Slowbro with), then use Acid Spray. With some luck, your Slowbro should be online and ready to start using Stored Power by the sixth or seventh round, which should pick up the KO in one or two shots.

I got Greninja on my second solo try, also with my Slowbro. But I gave it a Shell Bell and used Slack Off on turn 3 or 4, right before the stat reset. I'll have to try out your Toxapex in online matches

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    This fuggin greninja keeps critting me over and over.

Took 4 times to solo it because of crit hydropumps lol

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I one shot Greninja offline with my Cinderace Slowbro

There's a little luck involved of course, Night Shade crits will end you, and there's no getting around his double team spam except to hope.

By the time I'd used iron defence/nasty plot 3x each he had wiped our buffs and put his tera shield up. So I had to sit there for another 7 turns rebuffing/healing, then used 3 stored power to break through the shield and KO him.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

I mean, I'd say a good majority of them are like, the tortured souls of dead children or something. Pokemon be dark :3

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »

I mean, I'd say a good majority of them are like, the tortured souls of dead children or something. Pokemon be dark :3

A Pokedex entry for Froslass says "When it finds humans or Pokémon it likes, it freezes them and takes them to its chilly den, where they become decorations." What if Mount Glaseado just had a few random caves full of frozen corpses?

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Taya wrote: »
    I was able to catch a Greninja on my second attempt. I was using Gastrodon who doesn't do much damage but takes hits really well.

Yeah this raid more than any others I don't think most people get how type matchups or Terratilizing work.
    So many Azumarill.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    I'd heard thus Greninja was tough, but I wasn't expecting its hydro pump to ignore my Clodsire's water absorb.

• Options
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I'd heard thus Greninja was tough, but I wasn't expecting its hydro pump to ignore my Clodsire's water absorb.

If it does it's stat reset it will negate your ability for a turn

• Options

If it does it's stat reset it will negate your ability for a turn

Oh, that explains it. Well, I caught it now, so no worries!

I had a weird glitch at one point where my Clodsire actually turned facing my character and walked towards them a bit before turning back towards Greninja. I guess he just wanted to check in on how I was doing.

• Options
    I have to grind some battles I ran out of candy and money training this Gastrodon

Also the Pokedex area locator is awful. I can't find the area if you don't tell me it's name or let me mark it on the map

• Options
    You can always hold the ability shield to prevent raid bosses nullifying it

sig.gif
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular

Yeah this raid more than any others I don't think most people get how type matchups or Terratilizing work.
    So many Azumarill.

Last night was a lot of watching people try to bring things like Charizard to the Greninja raid. The weird part was that the Charizard survived better than a Vaporeon in the same raid. I did get Greninja in my first attempt, and someone brought a support Swalot who gets Clear Smog to get rid of Double Team and also Mud-slap to turn the accuracy tables on Greninja.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I found Sun/Moon to be a slog, but I liked Sword/Shield quite a bit.

You're not alone!

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Did you know gaming did a whole thing on why there wasn't a pokemon Z and Sun and moon really does seem like they were rushing to do something to use the assets they had started on while attempting other projects

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i liked x and y A LOT. i though sun and moon was a step down but was "ok". Sword and Shield was mostly fine. ScarVio has probably been the best story sans-academy. The Star, Dog, and gym stuff has all felt pretty dang good. The game needed to bake for another couple of months to work out the terrible bugs that exist but i'm glad i picked up the game.

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    The only main pokemon games I've ever disliked were Sun and Moon, but it has very little to do with anything but the SOS mechanic. I struggle to think of a game mechanic in any game that I loathe quite as much as that. Everything else was at least fine; Sword and Shield had some issues, but I liked it despite them. S/V has even more issues, and yet is even more enjoyable. Games are weird like that sometimes.

• Options
    Of the main generation entry games since X&Y, my ranking is as follows:

1 - Scarlet & Violet
    2 - Sun & Moon
    3 - X & Y
    4 - Sword & Shield

After the 'raidons this gen I'm curious what they'll do for the next game. Not having an equivalent in the next game will feel like a major step back.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Of the main generation entry games since X&Y, my ranking is as follows:

1 - Scarlet & Violet
    2 - Sun & Moon
    3 - X & Y
    4 - Sword & Shield

After the 'raidons this gen I'm curious what they'll do for the next game. Not having an equivalent in the next game will feel like a major step back.

Yeah, I'd say this is my ranking too. I like Sun & Moon better still (in terms of location and characters and stuff), but Scarlet & Violet is an objectively better game otherwise (honestly if not for the technical issues it *might* have even surpassed Sun & Moon for me).

Sword & Shield is the only one on this list I have yet to complete despite two separate attempts :/ I just really, really hate a lot of things about it (but especially the wild area). I was so glad to see Scarlet & Violet basically go back on all the dumbass things I hated about Sw&Sh (like "Rawr this pokemon is too scary to catch because it's 2 levels higher, even though it's a Magikarp that only knows splash!!!" <- I will never not bitch about this bullshit...). I do want to beat it at some point, especially as I hear the DLC is actually good. But man it's hard to get the motivation :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    I know Arceus is not a main generation game but i feel it is close enough and I would put it at 3rd behind sun and moon because the story was just so good and the game was generally fun.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I actually never managed to finish Arceus. Something about it didn't grab me quite as much as normal pokemon games do.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Legends Arceus might be my favourite Pokemon game. It’s obviously missing competitive battling, but otherwise it’s got everything: fun catching mechanic, lots of exploring, good story and characters, wearable clothing, sidequests, Chimecho

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Legends: Arceus let me put a freakin' Porygon-Z on my team for the main story. 10/10 game.

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Legends Arceus might be my favourite Pokemon game. It’s obviously missing competitive battling, but otherwise it’s got everything: fun catching mechanic, lots of exploring, good story and characters, wearable clothing, sidequests, Chimecho
    Imagine, a game that not only has Gliscor in it, but added a new way-more-usable version of Electrode. Amazing.

• Options
    Imagine, a game that not only has Gliscor in it, but added a new way-more-usable version of Electrode. Amazing.

yes I too loved my zappy-nut-boy who would OHKO two pokémon before KOing himself with recoil damage

sig.gif
  • Options
    So while listening to an older episode of Critical Role where some of the cast portrays various celebrities named Lance to promote Dragonlance I realized that Lance the Dragon Tamer from the first Pokémon game was almost certainly named for Dragonlance.

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I have begun breeding for a shiny Froakie. I have not gotten the shiny Froakie yet, but literally every night I've sat down to make and hatch eggs, I've run into a random full-odds (with shiny charm) shiny in the wild. First night was a Diglett, second night was a female Combee, and then last night was a Kricketot. If only that luck would just transfer to the egg hatching! I want my black ninja frog.

• Options
    Cruor wrote: »
    I have begun breeding for a shiny Froakie. I have not gotten the shiny Froakie yet, but literally every night I've sat down to make and hatch eggs, I've run into a random full-odds (with shiny charm) shiny in the wild. First night was a Diglett, second night was a female Combee, and then last night was a Kricketot. If only that luck would just transfer to the egg hatching! I want my black ninja frog.

I should do this. I haven't really been playing since Fire Emblem came out but shiny Greninja is cool.

Hope they announce DLC soon.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Completed the pokedex last night, so I'll finally go shiny hunting this weekend sometime probably. I really want a shiny Iron Valiant.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Would anyone who owns Pokemon Sword be willing to trade me for the Shield equivalents?

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    Would anyone who owns Pokemon Sword be willing to trade me for the Shield equivalents?

Try these codes if you can't get all you need from this thread: https://www.dexerto.com/pokemon/pokemon-scarlet-violet-trade-codes-1997432/

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular

Try these codes if you can't get all you need from this thread: https://www.dexerto.com/pokemon/pokemon-scarlet-violet-trade-codes-1997432/

Thank you, but I was looking to complete the Dex in Gen 8, not 9. Got it taken care of for the most part either way.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Ahaha. Took two tries to find a shiny Valiant. Second sandwich I found 3 on though, so...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited February 2023

Thank you, but I was looking to complete the Dex in Gen 8, not 9. Got it taken care of for the most part either way.

You can use Pokemon HOME to get everything. It's pretty easy to get trades going on the GTS there and then transfer everything back to Shield. I *think* you can use that without paying? I honestly forget. (edit: yes, you can do it with the free plan, you just can't do three at once, only one at a time)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Oh, the GTS is on HOME? I just thought they'd gotten rid of it for some inexplicable reason.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Oh, the GTS is on HOME? I just thought they'd gotten rid of it for some inexplicable reason.

Yup! They basically moved all that stuff over to Home. It has GTS, Wonder Trade, Room Trade, Friend trades, etc. And the UI is a million times easier to navigate than any of the gen 7 or older GTSes. You can actually filter by forms, so like, if you're looking for a Polar pattern Vivillon, you can do that (serious pain in the ass in gen 6/7 for Vivillon in particular). Also by stuff like shiny status. It's really nice. I also feel like there's way more people using it since it's not split by gen anymore, so you're much more likely to get trades (at least if you aren't trying for absurd things like trading a magikarp for a mewtwo)

Edit: Also they finally fixed the god damn app freezing all the time when you have large pokemon lists a few months back :3 That was seriously so annoying, and then they tried to blame it on having "hacked pokemon" and say they weren't gonna fix it - bullshit, own up to your own coding failures (seriously, literally anyone who has ever traded on GTS or wonder trade probably has hacked pokemon.. lol).

Warlock82 on