As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We are canceling the apocalypse! (Final Fantasy XIV)

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Yeah I don't feel like relying on healers to let me just ignore mechanics.

It's healers increasing raid DPS.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Had a Euphrosyne last night where the mounted boss died right in the middle of the triple knockback where he modifies the order. It was chaos as people realized the third knockback WASN'T about to become the first knockback.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    ...that boss has a pyretic card what?

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »

Seems like it's pyretic/freeze or look/don't look, yeah.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    This is like the fifth time I've done this raid and I have not seen pyretic/freeze.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Really, the part of this raid I don't like is the last boss.
    First, she's got AoE markers in a light blue that doesn't really stand out from the arena. And it's worse if there's bubbles up from healers for stuff. It's annoyingly easy to miss.

Second, when she starts mixing mechanics, there's a few patterns where the AoEs don't show up until after people have already split up, and if you went the wrong way it can be nearly impossible to avoid them all (specifically when the moon does a line down the middle - the safe spot from the two half circle AoEs immediately after will only be on one side of the arena, and the tells don't show until the moon is about to fire)

Though I also think the second to last fight has one issue to it as well:
    When she does the concentric rings with a meteor, the timing feels too narrow to dodge the rings a bit. Though this may just be that Comcast is being stupid this week so I have lag spikes fucking with me.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »

It's definitely like... 1 in 30. I've only seen in once or twice. Which is a weird distribution. I don't know why it's not 50/50, it's not like either is hard to deal with.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I've seen pyretic every time I've run it, and freeze about half the time. Are there other cards?

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Really, the part of this raid I don't like is the last boss.
    Second, when she starts mixing mechanics, there's a few patterns where the AoEs don't show up until after people have already split up, and if you went the wrong way it can be nearly impossible to avoid them all (specifically when the moon does a line down the middle - the safe spot from the two half circle AoEs immediately after will only be on one side of the arena, and the tells don't show until the moon is about to fire)

For this attack, you'll have a solid 3-4 seconds after the moon beam goes off to get to the safe pizza slice. The timing looks tighter than it is, I've been popping sprint to get from the bad side to the good side but I always get there with time to spare. Get to either side of the arena, identify the safe zone while the moon is waxing, and then hoof it after the beam goes off.

edit: fixed quote tree

Delzhand on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    after running it twice I feel it's a very easy raid. the third boss is the only one with any challenging mechanics. first time I did the last boss I didn't even die

• Options
    It's very forgiving overall. I've gotten one wipe, total, in four runs of it so far (this week was very mean to me on drops). It was on the third boss, the meter reached 100 because the half the DPS were dead at the start of that mechanic.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Aldo wrote: »
    The cards of the 2nd boss can be messy, it seems fairly random what cards she's going to pull, so players may not be familiar with the mechanic they gotta solve.

I think for this raid it does help that the previous raid tier+gear (esp. the 620 relic weapons) were available for a good while, so the average ilevel might be a bit higher than strictly necessary.

strangely I've run the raid 3 times and wiped on the card boss once so done that one 4 times, and have still only ever seen her pull the look/look away cards

I rate the raid as about the same as the first wing in overall difficulty (for me)

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    The dropping spheres part of the first raid's final boss is the one part of that raid I found really stressful, just because it was constant movement. Otherwise, very straightforward and great music.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Is there a reason to finish up all of the class quests in Endwalker before diving too deeply into the endgame, like there was for Shadowbringers?

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    jothki wrote: »
    Is there a reason to finish up all of the class quests in Endwalker before diving too deeply into the endgame, like there was for Shadowbringers?

No, because the MSQ arc ends with Endwalker 6.0, and 6.1 is a largely entirely new story.

All the class quests are selfcontained within 6.0's story, done as if you did them during the time period you were doing 6.0 MSQ.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    There is a questline that caps the class quests. It was added in 6.1, I think.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    OldSlacker wrote: »
    There is a questline that caps the class quests. It was added in 6.1, I think.

Said quest cleans up some stuff in Garlemald and is a big ol reunion of some favorite side characters, but doesn't otherwise provide mega context like the Shadowbringers stuff does.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    The all role quests done bonus story is not nearly as cool this time sadly

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    The all role quests done bonus story is not nearly as cool this time sadly

Although it did finally answer the lingering question of
    Nerva's ultimate fate.

That has kind of been an up-in-the-air subject since like Stormblood?

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Uh, I don't play this game or anything, but a heads up that for the FFXIV fanfest, a known bigot lunatic is talking about how he's planning to go at it with several guns and regulary makes bomb threats against fanfest:

So stay safe everybody.

• Options
    I appreciate how the island sanctuary isn't a duty. I'd probably be spending way more time in Eureka, Bozja, and the Diadem if I could sit in queues at the same time I do.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    4tlH74V.jpg

Ow.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    I appreciate how the island sanctuary isn't a duty. I'd probably be spending way more time in Eureka, Bozja, and the Diadem if I could sit in queues at the same time I do.

yeah I literally go there to vibe and sit in queue, it's nice.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    So we’re trying this game again and I accidentally wound up with my steam account linked to two SE Accounts because I forgot that my oooooold SE account was the one I tried the game on steam with and the last time we tried it I made a new account and just downloaded the launcher.

So I’m getting i2501s after linking steam to this newer account.

If I just delete that old SE account, would it unlink it from steam by default?

• Options
    No idea. I'd contact SE support to ask.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    No idea. I'd contact SE support to ask.

I have. I’m just impatient and not having everything sorted is gnawing at me.

• Options
    SE's online account management is harder than any of the in game content tbh

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    4tlH74V.jpg

Ow.

It's the spinning wheel, it's cursed.

image.png

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    As someone who loves crafting but doesn't have much experience with overmelding...

...What the hell?

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    you learn a lot of hard lessons about probability when overmelding

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    math is a bitch

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Construct 7 but the starting number is your last overmeld result.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Skeith wrote: »
    4tlH74V.jpg

Ow.

It's the spinning wheel, it's cursed.

image.png

Nymeia hates you, personally.

• Options
    I don't understand how to find spearfishing nodes. There are apparently 5 nodes in Rak'tika, but I can only find 2. I've heard about Swimming Shadows, but all the info seems to be from before the rework. I've been fishing for a while in Central Tusi Mek'ta and if Truth of Oceans is supposed to proc somehow I don't know what the trigger is.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I don't understand how to find spearfishing nodes. There are apparently 5 nodes in Rak'tika, but I can only find 2. I've heard about Swimming Shadows, but all the info seems to be from before the rework. I've been fishing for a while in Central Tusi Mek'ta and if Truth of Oceans is supposed to proc somehow I don't know what the trigger is.

you're looking underwater right? They're basically just underwater mining/botany nodes. Truth of Oceans marks them on your map and you just right click on them to initiate the spearfishing.

Use Shark Eye 1 or 2 to point you in the direction of a node

Javen on
  • Options
    It's more the hidden nodes. I was able to figure out that in Azim Steppe you can catch 8 or so perch and it spawns the Swimming Shadow. So it works like I was reading. But in raktika there are only two kinds of fish, and I caught 100 of each without getting any message about a shadow.

• Options
    Any thoughts on whether it's better to go for the 100k mgp or the 500 tomestones for the two line journal clear?

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Any thoughts on whether it's better to go for the 100k mgp or the 500 tomestones for the two line journal clear?

Mgp is for cosmetics and triple triad only, tomestones gets you gear. Up to you what you need.

• Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Delzhand wrote: »
    It's more the hidden nodes. I was able to figure out that in Azim Steppe you can catch 8 or so perch and it spawns the Swimming Shadow. So it works like I was reading. But in raktika there are only two kinds of fish, and I caught 100 of each without getting any message about a shadow.

https://en.ff14angler.com has all the nodes listed along with the type of fish needed for swimming shadows to pop the hidden nodes.

Billiardball on
    Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    Oh, there are 2 level 80 nodes that I just can't see yet. The first time I went spearfishing none of the fish had visible weak points, and I hadn't done gathering in years, so I thought that you could see any nodes and just not be able to harvest them. I forgot that you can't even see the nodes until you're the right level.