As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

🖥️🎮 - Nadir, Scorchlands & You can Do!mino out today!

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Hi Fi Rush being developed by a legacy team in a niche genre and released as a 'buy gamepass now' makes it pretty unique in terms of what I'd assume Microsoft wants finance wise.

Not that triple A budgets aren't absurd and I don't adhere to the mantra of 'smaller games with worse graphics and I'm not joking' just that it's a very, very weird game to base any ideas of how normal game finance works.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    We don't even know its budget, so how weird or niche it is is kind of an irrelevant cherry on top? My point stands regardless of title.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »
    snip

Wait WHAT. Please tell me that detail about it being a common prank in Japan to shove your fingers up asses is wrong

I don't know how often that happens as a real life thing, but it's extremely common in anime. Offhand I recall early Naruto doing it several times.

According to Mary Cagle who taught English in Japan...it is a very real danger when around children

https://www.marycagle.com/letsspeakenglish/118-speaking-of-butts

yeah i wouldn't necessarily call it a real prank among like, japan as a whole, and it's generally represented in pop culture there as an infantile, childish prank to do

unfortunately that also means children keep learning about it and finding it hilarious

liEt3nH.png
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    yeah it's little kids mostly, or like, a "we're good enough friends that this isn't weird" prank

I volunteered at the Philly Museum of Art when they were doing... I don't remember, it was one of the "come look at our new art!" events

there was a big group of people from Japan, I could tell because they were speaking Japanese, and there were several little kids. one of them popped another right in the butt and I laughed and was like "kancho!" which I learned about reading the blog of a giant black man who taught English in Japan.

making them aware that I knew kancho was a thing was an enormous mistake. I've been in jail and I didn't have to protect my ass that diligently.

they hunted in packs, one of them distracted me with "the bodies with no skin. here, yes?"

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I didn't get mad, I was like "hahaha oh dang you got me kid" and their parents all stopped being aghast and started laughing, which encouraged the kids. it was a scene, man.

• EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    I still think the best thing about Tetris is that it's like one of two major PVP puzzle games and unlike every other genres it's all love.

To the point where they just do a cross over with Puyo Puyo and everyone is just having a great fucking time with it:

https://youtu.be/J4sE86ctU5Y

My dream is that they add some others to sequels. I want a puzzle bobble addition, personally. My coworker wants tetris attack in it. You could easily get like 5 good PvP puzzle games into it.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    The finger bum thing reminds me of a time at my job in SA, when having some drinks we convinced one of my male British colleagues to pinch the bum of this South African guy as a prank/dare and he nearly got fully punched out in response. Afrikaans dudes - very not cool with any kind of remotely homo joking.

• FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    I hate puzzles that just waste your time with busywork, like those in Skyrim, where you have to rotate the stupid slow stones to match whatever pictures are in the room, theres no thinking, it´s just a chore.

But I liked the puzzle/riddle nature of the old adventure games, like Space Quest, Kings Quest, Zak McKracken, where you have to get into the in-world mindset to know what you need to do.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    The finger bum thing reminds me of a time at my job in SA, when having some drinks we convinced one of my male British colleagues to pinch the bum of this South African guy as a prank/dare and he nearly got fully punched out in response. Afrikaans dudes - very not cool with any kind of remotely homo joking.

Reminds me of when I was at a good friend's wedding. I was her maid of honor and I'd never met the best man before. When we were about to walk down the aisle during the ceremony I asked him if he wanted to link arms or hold hands and he curled his lip and said, "I ain't some sort of fucking f*****, get away from me before I kick your ass"

JtgVX0H.png
    now that there is a dude who had some feelings he didn't know how to process.

or he was just a shithead

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Seems like one of those beautiful few situations in which "I started a fight at a wedding" seems justifiable.

I ate an engineer
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppdM1T0Aap4
    Wow! Now that is some exciting stuff! Acer has invited me to their headquarters in Taiwan to show me their latest glasses free 3D screens for GAMERS...and of course they did not have to ask me twice! In this video I will let you know about my impressions of the tech and which games you can already play on those screens!

Buy Screen on Newegg: bit.ly/3jglMlI (Affiliate)
    Buy Laptop on Newegg: bit.ly/3kWULnZ (Affiliate)
    Acer Spatial Labs: https://www.acer.com/us-en/SpatialLabs

$1100 USD for a 15" screen

it's a more refined version of the 3DS' lenticular display, the compatibility is actually quite impressive, but the few reviews out in the wild say that calibration can be rough

I think I'd actually be pretty happy to use a set of lightweight glasses, the main problem in the past has always been compatibility and setting up each game (without the UI breaking and remaining readable), not the glasses themselves being much of a hassle.

The 3D in the 3DS is neat, but fuuuck staring at that for long periods of time.

• JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    Wait, didn't "3D" video games and TV utterly flop hard despite a massive push by manufacturers, filmmakers, and a few game stufios hard, about a decade ago? Is it better now, or are they just hoping everyone forgot?

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Justice wrote: »
    Wait, didn't "3D" video games and TV utterly flop hard despite a massive push by manufacturers, filmmakers, and a few game stufios hard, about a decade ago? Is it better now, or are they just hoping everyone forgot?

everything old is new again

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List

this doesn't require glasses of any sort, and the displays now have fast enough refresh rates that you avoid the tearing/headache issues that plagued early 3D tvs

the biggest drawback is actually that everyone got burned on earlier TVs, so its hard to get anyone to buy back into the idea

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    3D whatever is always predicated on people not remembering the last time it failed.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    yeah it's little kids mostly, or like, a "we're good enough friends that this isn't weird" prank

I volunteered at the Philly Museum of Art when they were doing... I don't remember, it was one of the "come look at our new art!" events

there was a big group of people from Japan, I could tell because they were speaking Japanese, and there were several little kids. one of them popped another right in the butt and I laughed and was like "kancho!" which I learned about reading the blog of a giant black man who taught English in Japan.

making them aware that I knew kancho was a thing was an enormous mistake. I've been in jail and I didn't have to protect my ass that diligently.

they hunted in packs, one of them distracted me with "the bodies with no skin. here, yes?"

I wonder how gaijin smash is doing, that guy's blog was a legendary feature of the mid-00s weeb landscape

Mortal Sky on
  • H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Are there people even making content for 3d tvs anymore? Like even if the new TVs have great 3d what are you gonna use it for?

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    It's funny that 3D technology got to a point where I was finally kind of looking forward to more, and then they killed it. My LG has passive 3D with super lightweight glasses and it's pretty good. I played Trine 2 with it and had a good time.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    Question for the hivemind:

What are some essential Oregon Trails-likes?

In terms of pretty-direct descendants, I've played Oregon Trail (newer versions), Organ Trail, and I'm playing Death Road to Canada.

I think OT could be considered a strong inspiration for FTL, and FTL-alikes. I've played a few FTL-alikes, and none seemed super innovative.

And then, I'd also consider 80 Days, Sorcery, and Out There as cousins on the family tree, although they mostly eschew the mini-game aspect. They have resource management (to a greater or lesser degree) across a here-to-there narrative, with very light stats that affect how the story unfolds.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    It's marginal probably, but how would you feel about including Sunless Sea/Sunless Skies in there? It's resource management to travel great distances, there's a bit of a minigame with the combat stuff but you're mostly dealing with text based events.

It's not that forward thrust path, is the big thing, and I do think that gives it a different feel for sure, but a lot of the elements are still there.

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Where the Water Tastes Like Wine would fall under the umbrella, I reckon

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Also probably not really because it's mostly a tactics game, but The Banner Saga is a game about traveling and managing resources when you're not trying to axe a dude in the face.

Edit: Also on this realm is Overland, which I don't think is quite as good but is probably worth mentioning.

Straightzi on
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Where the Water Tastes Like Wine would fall under the umbrella, I reckon

I'm always gobsmacked at how much I love the title of that game, having never played it. Every time I see it I just nod out of a deep, abiding respect.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    It kinda came and went so maybe it's not any good but I remember death road to canada at least sounding interesting like a decade ago

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    It kinda came and went so maybe it's not any good but I remember death road to canada at least sounding interesting like a decade ago

its one of the best games ever how dare

David_T wrote: »
    3D whatever is always predicated on people not remembering the last time it failed.
    Hey, it eventually worked for VR.

Kinda.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWa0dZMHYeE

• EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Is there any kind of game that's like an online skylanders-ish thing, but instead of the whole scam, you just roll a character of your own? Maybe you can make a party of characters with other players and have a simple class system? But it's a 3d beat em up?

Magic Pink wrote: »

its one of the best games ever how dare

It took me about three sessions to get into it, but I'm there now. The combat is kludgy, and the combat is also 95% of the game. The loot loop has sunk in its claws now though, so I can forgive.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    That panic you feel in Hitman when you take out the last target of a syndicate but can’t find a way to the one exit in Miami because you aren’t allowed to unlock any doors and you are on a timer to get out.

Managed to do it. Need to spend some time just wandering around some of the maps I haven’t visited in a while.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I thought Freelance Mode would be a great opportunity to revisit Hitman, but I didn't want to dive into it COMPLETELY cold so I loaded up a campaign map, realized I didn't remember the controls at all, sprinted into a restricted zone, crouched in plain sight of three guards, got immediately murked

This is why I fear that my Agent 47 is not quite ready to be his own boss

I thought Freelance Mode would be a great opportunity to revisit Hitman, but I didn't want to dive into it COMPLETELY cold so I loaded up a campaign map, realized I didn't remember the controls at all, sprinted into a restricted zone, crouched in plain sight of three guards, got immediately murked

This is why I fear that my Agent 47 is not quite ready to be his own boss

you didn't have the greatest weapon at 47s disposal, otherwise you would've been fine

expired spaghetti

gotta assassinate like the pros

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    I'm back on my bullshit in Kenshi

Up to 157 mods now

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Isn't the issue with 3d tvs that you have to basically be front and center to get anything out of them? So you have a very limited viewing area for best results?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I think theyve been pushing 3d garbage on a fifteen year cycle since the 50's despite it always sucking shit and everyone hating it like poison

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    Preacher wrote: »
    Isn't the issue with 3d tvs that you have to basically be front and center to get anything out of them? So you have a very limited viewing area for best results?

yeah, same with curved screens

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    That Sony TV they did that worked with like two or three games to do full screen "split screen" with 3D glasses was kind of a neat idea

This discussion has been closed.